HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Semin is the Debil / Grinders Uber Alles Thread

View Poll Results: If CAR retains 50% of Alexander Semin's salary, should the Caps be interested?
Yes 28 50.91%
No 12 21.82%
Somebody shoot me 15 27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

vCash: 50
I suspect Ovi Roman and Neuvy do not support him strongly. I suspect none would openly support his bulletin board posts like his Semin speak, and most do not support it behind closed doors. It can only make their jobs harder.

The players respect him for his on ice contributions. hard working Canadian, fights, not afraid to go in front. Off ice, I bet most give him the old

Leave the chatter to Laich.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
IkeaMonkey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
but i think its pretty obvious that the locker room supports him strongly.
It's also pretty obvious he doesn't support the locker room strongly.

It's okay though, the people whose back he doesnt have are Euros. **** those guys.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:12 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
visable evidence. troy brouwer was acquired in part because of his stanley cup experience and to provide leadership. after one season he was elected to rep the team to the nhlpa. after one season and the lockout he was assigned as alternate captain.
when the team's top offensive players struggled he stepped up with 8 goals. top 20 in the nhl. tied for the team lead. one fewer than eric staal, marian hossa and sidney crosby.

i am not a big fan of running your mouth to the media, but i think its pretty obvious that the locker room supports him strongly.
It sure helps when you back up your words with strong play and Brouwer did exactly that last night. Heck of a game for #20 even tho the scoresheet doesn't show it.

He is leading our team in hits too.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:37 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I don't remember this being discussed last season but one of my buddies was telling me that when Knuble was scratched for that stretch last season and the whole "Free Knuble" movement started, there was a fued in the locker room between Knuble and Ovi. Essentially Knuble told Ovi he was the worst captain he had ever played with and he didn't deserve to wear the C. This obviously didn't go over well and Ovi and Kanoobs went at it and Ovi ended up with a busted lip.

Not sure if this is accurate at all, but just trying to figure out if anyone else had heard word of this.
I miss Knoobs, now even more.

Knuble 17 games 2Gs, 4 As
Wolski 18 games 2 Gs, 2As
Crabb 17 games 1 G, 0A

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 02-27-2013 at 08:44 AM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I suspect Ovi Roman and Neuvy do not support him strongly. I suspect none would openly support his bulletin board posts like his Semin speak, and most do not support it behind closed doors. It can only make their jobs harder.

The players respect him for his on ice contributions. hard working Canadian, fights, not afraid to go in front. Off ice, I bet most give him the old

Leave the chatter to Laich.
my view is that brouwer fighting back the theory that the caps should have kept both boudreau and semin and that the current team is deminished and will fail. i think it had less to do with semin than with his own locker room. this is just my read but often there is more than meets the eye with these things.

they won the game. right?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:43 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I want to buy a Brouwer Jersey.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Quote:
my view is that brouwer fighting back the theory that the caps should have kept both boudreau and semin and that the current team is deminished and will fail. i think it had less to do with semin than with his own locker room. this is just my read but often there is more than meets the eye with these things.

they won the game. right?
Did those words knock out 3 of their Dmen, and rattle their goalie? Carolina on the road limped in and limped out.

He may well of set a tone before the puck was dropped, I admit. But intimidating the opposition has never been more absent from the game.

I don't feel his words helped our team in any way. Maybe someone said wow he has balls saying that stuff before the game and respects him more now, but I suspect more questioned his words, than thought higher of him.

Maybe George or Oates asked him to speak up and be our leader since Laich is... suspended IIRC, and Ovi is more the on ice follow me leader type.

Speaking of which, I wonder what Ovi thinks of it all. Probably nothing, but who knows. You hear about Oates in his famed battle with Linden. Locker rooms can become divided and it gets debated for decades.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
visable evidence. troy brouwer was acquired in part because of his stanley cup experience and to provide leadership. after one season he was elected to rep the team to the nhlpa. after one season and the lockout he was assigned as alternate captain.
when the team's top offensive players struggled he stepped up with 8 goals. top 20 in the nhl. tied for the team lead. one fewer than eric staal, marian hossa and sidney crosby.

i am not a big fan of running your mouth to the media, but i think its pretty obvious that the locker room supports him strongly.
He was not assigned as an alternate captain. He's an alternate alternate captain who gets a letter when Mike Green doesn't play. Is Mike Green a better leader than him? Yes, he's "stepped up" with 8 goals, shooting 50% over his career average. What happens when he comes back to reality and shoots 7% over the next 15 games, or 10.5% over his next 30? Of course that has nothing to do with it being "obvious" that the team "supports him strongly," although in reality most of the players probably do.

That hardly vindicates him though. I don't care if he wants to talk **** to the media, but calling out a player who is no longer on the team and doesn't talk to the media himself, and a player whom it's considered fine to attack, is gutless and easy. It's laughable that people think comments from Matt Bradley, Shaone Morrisonn, and Troy Brouwer mean anything. These are people who literally don't deserve to be allowed to hold an opinion of what's going on around them. Yeah, these guys probably love Brouwer and think he's the man, because he's just like them. An NHL locker room isn't far removed from a pee wee one or whatever. Semin is the shy "weird" kid whom they don't understand, so they fill in the blanks, and a few steps later he's a pariah. (Carolina's players have actually made an effort to assimilate him, because they have a functional team, and he seems to be fitting in well.) It's pretty easy for people who don't scrutinize anything to accept the perception of Semin once their friend on the team accepts it, etc. The consensus opinion of a group of people who are too stupid to manage a legitimate understanding of what's going on around them means nothing at all.

Brouwer is extremely immature, entitled, and self-centered. To anyone in that locker room with a brain, he would be the cancer. To John Carlson, yeah, he's probably a great leader. And I realize that there's no way around that. Semin is a problem practically because of these situations. That just has nothing to do with what's actually true.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Liberati0n*

It also is funny that no talented hockey players have said anything about him.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
It also is funny that no talented hockey players have said anything about him.
Stephen Whyno @SWhyno 12h
Holtby on Semin: "If he decides to play, he could be the best player in the world."

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

The high talent guys get by on... wait for it... talent. It's not in their nature to get by on hard work every single game because they don't have to, and yet still earn 7M per year.

A guy like Ovi that has talent but also can show an insane amount of hustle and physicality, vaults to being the top guy in the sport. Semin has decided he doesn't want to be that guy. It's ok. he will probably get injured if he tries.

I think Semin gives a solid effort and for the most part, always has. There are always those penalties but I have seen that every year from someone.

Brouwer is not the one to be complaining about his penalties, what with his recent puck over the glass fixation. What's dumber, a hook on a backcheck, or a puck over the glass.

I will say it again, I theorize the nights he "takes off" he is ailing / resting / injured. He has taken his fair share of abuse. On the ice.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:45 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Holtby on Semin: "If he decides to play, he could be the best player in the world."
There are parrots everywhere. Can't they just shut up and worry about their own railroad.

They beat a Carolina team that's a little beat up ATM. Worry about Philly next and then the next game and then the next game.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

FFS, let it go.

The comments were made, seemed to have a positive impact on the Caps, and had the ring of truth, to boot.

He's not coming back. It's a non-story.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Laich said when a player is not up to snuff, its because they are injured and that we have no way of knowing it. I believe it. Chimera doesn't lose his speed overnight.

I have always hated players playing hurt at 50% effectiveness. They don't want to sit because they know they may well lose their job. They lie. I am fine. But they fail the eye test. Why not call up that prospect from Hershey instead. What prospect

After the playoffs are over, well we lost because Green couldn't shoot. Well, I will counter that I say we lost because we insisted on using him for the full 2 over a Pothier or Jurcina, who maybe even scored in that same series. Not calling up the best we have in Hershey may have more cost us the series.

When you have no prospects ready to help, guys play injured and performance suffers, fans can't fathom they don't know the full truth, panic and propose trades instead. And we lose.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I want to buy a Brouwer Jersey.
I'm pretty sure they are sold out now...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Laich said when a player is not up to snuff, its because they are injured and that we have no way of knowing it. I believe it. Chimera doesn't lose his speed overnight.

I have always hated players playing hurt at 50% effectiveness. They don't want to sit because they know they may well lose their job. They lie. I am fine. But they fail the eye test. Why not call up that prospect from Hershey instead. What prospect

After the playoffs are over, well we lost because Green couldn't shoot. Well, I will counter that I say we lost because we insisted on using him for the full 2 over a Pothier or Jurcina, who maybe even scored in that same series. Not calling up the best we have in Hershey may have more cost us the series.

When you have no prospects ready to help, guys play injured and performance suffers, fans can't fathom they don't know the full truth, panic and propose trades instead. And we lose.
You can probably just rename this whole concept the "RGIII Syndrome". Pro athletes never want to come out of the lineup... and the few that do actually take themselves out often get hammered for being soft, weak, gutless, etc... Its really up to the coaching staff and the trainers to make these calls, and far too often they simply don't get them right, or take way too long to get it right.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
You can probably just rename this whole concept the "RGIII Syndrome". Pro athletes never want to come out of the lineup... and the few that do actually take themselves out often get hammered for being soft, weak, gutless, etc... Its really up to the coaching staff and the trainers to make these calls, and far too often they simply don't get them right, or take way too long to get it right.
Guess this happens in baseball as well as football and hockey...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...re-news-to-me/

Rizzo says Storen playoff back spasms are ‘news to me’

Dude may have cost his team a series by being too stubborn to take himself out of the lineup and hiding the impact of the injury from his coaches.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
4 former teammates on record now if my count is correct.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
5. Steckel backed up Bradley.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
The high talent guys get by on... wait for it... talent. It's not in their nature to get by on hard work every single game because they don't have to, and yet still earn 7M per year.

A guy like Ovi that has talent but also can show an insane amount of hustle and physicality, vaults to being the top guy in the sport. Semin has decided he doesn't want to be that guy. It's ok. he will probably get injured if he tries.

I think Semin gives a solid effort and for the most part, always has. There are always those penalties but I have seen that every year from someone.

Brouwer is not the one to be complaining about his penalties, what with his recent puck over the glass fixation. What's dumber, a hook on a backcheck, or a puck over the glass.

I will say it again, I theorize the nights he "takes off" he is ailing / resting / injured. He has taken his fair share of abuse. On the ice.
Hold on....you don't really believe that crap do you? You're saying all high talent guys, its against their nature to work hard, or just the high talent guys in Washington. I'd say a guy like Semin is maligned so much BECAUSE his lack of effort in the past stood out. If all high talent guys acted that way on ice, there would be a lot more stories about other players acting that way.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
FFS, let it go.

The comments were made, seemed to have a positive impact on the Caps, and had the ring of truth, to boot.

He's not coming back. It's a non-story.
Thank you...until next game when Semin supporters will be up in arms again...

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
IkeaMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Steckle, Bradley, Holtby and Brouwer?

Man, that's a murderers row of hockey talent.

How is Bradley doing in the second tier Finnish league anyway this season? I mean, it adds another locker room to his list to broaden his size sample in terms of being a locker room pro.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Who cares about talent levels? Semin supporters who are looking to discredit in the face of mounting evidence.

Get over it and move on....enough with the absurd Nationality issue too. Russian, Canadian, American, if Semin was any of those and acted how he has over his career, he'd be facing the same music.

Move on kids, your anti-hero has.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Steckle, Bradley, Holtby and Brouwer?

Man, that's a murderers row of hockey talent.

How is Bradley doing in the second tier Finnish league anyway this season? I mean, it adds another locker room to his list to broaden his size sample in terms of being a locker room pro.
You forgot Morrisonn. He brings a lot more legitimacy to the group.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
IkeaMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
You forgot Morrisonn. He brings a lot more legitimacy to the group.
OOOOHHHHH Shayoneeoene Moorrisssoon.