HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v27: Ujiri signs 5 year, $3m per year deal to become Raptors GM

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Atleast ross got more minutes in the end of the season, than chuckerson

but really hope AA is taken out, so ross can take some steps in his game next year
Nice to see Ross get some minutes.

Off season moves I wouldn't mind seeing is bring in a capable backup PG, and I would personally do the Boozer for Bargs deal over the summer as I think it will happen. I know people hate the guys contract but he's a double, double guys night in and night out and he's also capable of going off for 30+ on any given night.

PG: Lowry+ Free agent
SG: DeRozan + Ross
SF: Gay + Fields
PF: Boozer + Johnson + Acy
C: Valanciunas + Boozer+Johnson

I also wouldn't be apposed to bringing in someone like DeJuan Blair if the price was right, and move Johnson as a full time backup at C, have a small front group of Blair and Johnson. I'm not sure how much we would have on the MLE but I am sure we could throw 2.5 or 3 at someone if need be to backup the point.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Nice to see Ross get some minutes.

Off season moves I wouldn't mind seeing is bring in a capable backup PG, and I would personally do the Boozer for Bargs deal over the summer as I think it will happen. I know people hate the guys contract but he's a double, double guys night in and night out and he's also capable of going off for 30+ on any given night.

PG: Lowry+ Free agent
SG: DeRozan + Ross
SF: Gay + Fields
PF: Boozer + Johnson + Acy
C: Valanciunas + Boozer+Johnson

I also wouldn't be apposed to bringing in someone like DeJuan Blair if the price was right, and move Johnson as a full time backup at C, have a small front group of Blair and Johnson. I'm not sure how much we would have on the MLE but I am sure we could throw 2.5 or 3 at someone if need be to backup the point.
not sure if boozer would fit in our system. seems like BC tried to build a team that is up tempo like the former phx suns, bringing in a post player like boozer, that is also slow, wouldn't help as our wings would be unable to capitalize if booze was double teamed i.e. hit the open 3.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Player PTS/36min REB/36min BLK/36min FG% TS% RebRate BLK% PER
PLAYER A 13.5 9.0 1.9 55.6 .618 14.9 4.2 15.62
PLAYER B 12.3 8.0 1.5 45.9 .513 12.8 3.1 15.24

Player A is a rookie named Jonas Valanciunas in 2012-13.

Player B was a rookie named Chris Bosh in 2003-04.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:16 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post

Interesting, but does anybody think Valanciunas has the same kind of potential as Bosh? I didn't watch Bosh in his rookie year, so I can't comment on how he looked at the time...but I feel like Val won't be able to develop the same scoring threat that Bosh was in his prime here. I'd be excited if I was wrong, but I'm just not sure I see THAT level of offensive upside. Val has a better all-around ability though, and I can definitely see him turning into an Elite C in this league.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Yeah, great rookie season for JV. I don't see the same offensive upside as Bosh because they are different players at different positions and JV doesn't have that great mid-range shot or ball handling skills Bosh does but JV is going to be real good. A tall athletic center that was showing some nice post moves and getting to the free throw line near the end of the season was a huge step. He showed good rebounding skills and his defense seemed to improve as the season went on and I think he can be a franchise type center -- which don't really seem to exist around the league. I'm not too optimistic about the the current core moving forward but JV could be one true elite guy on the team.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Was in a hat store in San Jose today and got a bit of a smile when I saw they had a couple of raptors hats and a vancouver grizzlies hat for sale. Too bad they were snapbacks

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
04-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Interesting, but does anybody think Valanciunas has the same kind of potential as Bosh? I didn't watch Bosh in his rookie year, so I can't comment on how he looked at the time...but I feel like Val won't be able to develop the same scoring threat that Bosh was in his prime here. I'd be excited if I was wrong, but I'm just not sure I see THAT level of offensive upside. Val has a better all-around ability though, and I can definitely see him turning into an Elite C in this league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yeah, great rookie season for JV. I don't see the same offensive upside as Bosh because they are different players at different positions and JV doesn't have that great mid-range shot or ball handling skills Bosh does but JV is going to be real good. A tall athletic center that was showing some nice post moves and getting to the free throw line near the end of the season was a huge step. He showed good rebounding skills and his defense seemed to improve as the season went on and I think he can be a franchise type center -- which don't really seem to exist around the league. I'm not too optimistic about the the current core moving forward but JV could be one true elite guy on the team.
JVal had a very solid rookie year, but I'd agree that his offensive numbers won't match Bosh's. Bosh was a super efficient stretch 4 that could create his own offense out of the post. However, Bosh took a long time to become an above average defender (he's very good with Miami, his advanced numbers defensively are surprising). I hope JVal is a quicker learner defensively. Jval IMO could be a 15/9/1.5 blocks type center within the next 2-3 years, which would be great production from the C spot, especially in the East.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
JVal had a very solid rookie year, but I'd agree that his offensive numbers won't match Bosh's. Bosh was a super efficient stretch 4 that could create his own offense out of the post. However, Bosh took a long time to become an above average defender (he's very good with Miami, his advanced numbers defensively are surprising). I hope JVal is a quicker learner defensively. Jval IMO could be a 15/9/1.5 blocks type center within the next 2-3 years, which would be great production from the C spot, especially in the East.
He's pretty close to that in his per 36 minutes. 13.5/9/1.9 blocks. Tyson Chandler at 20 years old (sophomore season though) put up similar per 36 minutes numbers at 13.6/10.1/2.1. Played similar minutes too. Offensively, I think JV could be better than Chandler. One thing impressive about JV is the fact he can make his free throws (78.9%) which a lot of centers struggle with.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He's pretty close to that in his per 36 minutes. 13.5/9/1.9 blocks. Tyson Chandler at 20 years old (sophomore season though) put up similar per 36 minutes numbers at 13.6/10.1/2.1. Played similar minutes too. Offensively, I think JV could be better than Chandler. One thing impressive about JV is the fact he can make his free throws (78.9%) which a lot of centers struggle with.
Per36 for lower minute bigmen tends to be very misleading. Playing 25 minutes can be easier than grinding it out for 35. I don't put too much stock into it.

And I'd say JV is already better offensively than Chandler. There is a reason why Chandler shoots such a high %, he only dunks/catches lobs since his offensive game is so elementary.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Kb21

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...y-From-Thunder
Quote:
The Oklahoma City Thunder spoke to the Toronto Raptors about a trade centered on James Harden for Jonas Valanciunas.

The Raptors 'quickly rebuffed' the interest from Sam Presti in the trade.

The Thunder eventually traded Harden to the Rockets while also acquiring the Raptors' lottery guaranteed pick.
how do you not pull the trigger on this if you are BC. i would pretty much add any pieces to make it work.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post

how do you not pull the trigger on this if you are BC. i would pretty much add any pieces to make it work.
Yeah I read that as well. That's where drafting Ross over Drummond hurts, since we probably could have replaced Val with Drummond and added a bit more in the offer (Ed+Drummond? Demar+Drummond?).

Passing on BPA is never a good idea.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

To be fair, who knew Harden would be this good? I thought he was a really good player that could do whatever you wanted him to do offensively but I didn't think he would turn into a franchise type player. We also don't know if he would have re-signed here. Of course, the deal would be contingent on that but its possible that if Raptors approached Harden about wanting to re-sign here before trading for him, he might have said no.

Maybe I'm defending it a little too much because of how high I am on JV but the team seems to think he has elite big man potential and getting one of those guys is becoming increasingly tougher. Now, I will say that the quality of great SG has been going down quite a bit as well.

The team has DeMar who they seem to be pretty high on and high enough that they gave him a big extension and drafted Ross as well. Had two young big men in Davis/Amir as well as an established Bargnani who was coming off a great season and you've got Lowry at PG. So really the only position at the time they needed was a center which was JV. So its sort of a justifiable move?

In hindsight, they should've done it as well as drafted Drummond. It's quite ridiculous that they didn't in the first place, he was clearly BPA and instead choose Ross... which ugh, whatever. He'll turn out fine but I'm not a fan. In hindsight, they also should have traded Bargnani -- could have got a ton for him last off-season (actually in hindsight, they should have traded him a LONG time ago).

Old
04-22-2013, 01:11 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...immer-of-hope/

why there's hope yet for the Raptors.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Shimso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Was in a hat store in San Jose today and got a bit of a smile when I saw they had a couple of raptors hats and a vancouver grizzlies hat for sale. Too bad they were snapbacks
I saw some pretty cool looking fitteds at lids:
http://www.lids.ca/NBA/Toronto-Raptors/20490975
http://www.lids.ca/NBA/Toronto-Raptors/20490960
http://www.lids.ca/NBA/Toronto-Raptors/20490951

IMO the Jays should've used a concept like that for their bp caps; a big red leaf but with the team logo inside the leaf.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
not sure if boozer would fit in our system. seems like BC tried to build a team that is up tempo like the former phx suns, bringing in a post player like boozer, that is also slow, wouldn't help as our wings would be unable to capitalize if booze was double teamed i.e. hit the open 3.
I am not quite following you? So if Boozer is double teamed he's not going to be able to pass out of the double team because he's slow? TBH I would prefer the Raps slow it down a bit and show a bit more structure in their offense. But TBH I don't think that having Carlos Boozer in your starting rotation is going to hamper it.

There are options out there like Luis Scola who would come cheaper, is a good scorer, good defender and a good rebounder.

Then there are guys like Aminu, Landry, Daye, Blatche, Hickson, who could all serve a purpose. I am a big fan of Aminu and Hickson, not that big a fan of Landry, have always liked Blatche and there is nothing wrong with Day. I still think Boozer is the best of the bunch tho, let the offense run through this guy down low in Toronto and he would be avg 18- 20 and 10 boards a night imo.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Buckleys

I just bought a purple Andrea Bargnani jersey for 10 dollars at a value village in Ottawa...

Did Bargnani even wear the purple? And sorry Nem, got the purple, but no Landry Fields .

Old
04-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
I am not quite following you? So if Boozer is double teamed he's not going to be able to pass out of the double team because he's slow? TBH I would prefer the Raps slow it down a bit and show a bit more structure in their offense. But TBH I don't think that having Carlos Boozer in your starting rotation is going to hamper it.

There are options out there like Luis Scola who would come cheaper, is a good scorer, good defender and a good rebounder.

Then there are guys like Aminu, Landry, Daye, Blatche, Hickson, who could all serve a purpose. I am a big fan of Aminu and Hickson, not that big a fan of Landry, have always liked Blatche and there is nothing wrong with Day. I still think Boozer is the best of the bunch tho, let the offense run through this guy down low in Toronto and he would be avg 18- 20 and 10 boards a night imo.
about the boozer double team thing, i meant if boozer made the kick out to, lets say demar, he would only hit 28% of those open 3's giving the other team an actual incentive to double team boozer other then trying to get the ball out of his hands in the post. hence our team would probably look like the knicks if a boozer trade did happen but with lesser shooters (melo > rudy, demar < JRsmith).

and about the speed aspect, boozer isn't a guy suited to run up and down the court given his age and injury history. with our team of high flyers he would become quite useless those 30% of the time we are on a fast break.

i'd rather us just bring bargs off the bench, or trade him for a backup PG/6th man/salary dump, and continue to use amir in the PF/C role as he has a similar game to boozer while being younger.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I just bought a purple Andrea Bargnani jersey for 10 dollars at a value village in Ottawa...

Did Bargnani even wear the purple? And sorry Nem, got the purple, but no Landry Fields .
the timeline on Sports Logos (which has its url filtered for some reason) says they wore the purples for the last time in 05-06, which was Bargs' rookie year.

and I was saying you needed to get the purple dino jersey with the vertical stripes. Like Damon Stoudamire era.

Now that's fashionable

Old
04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
the timeline on Sports Logos (which has its url filtered for some reason) says they wore the purples for the last time in 05-06, which was Bargs' rookie year.

and I was saying you needed to get the purple dino jersey with the vertical stripes. Like Damon Stoudamire era.

Now that's fashionable
Believe me I would have loved to have tracked down that jersey, just amazing.

and Bargnani was drafted in 06, so his first season was 06-07. So he wouldn't have wore it then I don't think.

My best guess is some fan got very excited about the first overall draft pick and the Raptors changed their jerseys after, or the fan just really loved the purple

Old
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
MLSE hired Tim Leiweke to run Raps and Leafs.

They are looking to make a pitch forPhil Jackson....he wants to be a team president.

Per Marc Stein - ESPN

04-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
MLSE hired Tim Leiweke to run Raps and Leafs.

They are looking to make a pitch forPhil Jackson....he wants to be a team president.

Per Marc Stein - ESPN
Just can BC and give him the job.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Just can BC and give him the job.
That would be amazing. BC outta here would be the dream offseason.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Phil Jackson would be INCREDIBLE.

04-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Phil Jackson would be INCREDIBLE.
I would guess people were saying the same thing about BC shortly before he was hired.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I would guess people were saying the same thing about BC shortly before he was hired.
And at the time, it was thought to be a good hire.

My guess is Jackson would be president, and not GM. Hopefully he'd bring someone in.

Fire Casey too, if it were up to me.

Closed Thread