HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v27: Ujiri signs 5 year, $3m per year deal to become Raptors GM

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Jason12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
What people don't get about tanking this up and coming season is that if we don't get Wiggins, we're still getting a future star most likely in the top 5 with Randle, Parker, Gordon, Harrison, etc. this is an amazing draft.
The problem with tanking is that there are so many teams in the NBA that are just awful. Teams like the Phoenix and Charlotte are going to be terrible for the foreseeable future.

If Rudy Gay has a decent year I could see him not taking the player option, even though it pays him nearly 20 million. I would think he would prefer to take a long term deal for around 15 million than one year at 20. A year from today the Raptors could be looking at having alot of cap space + a top 5 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
everyone is so excited for a new GM as if BC didnt come into Toronto with a great pedigree.. hell he won Exec of the year here.

The problem? Players dont wanna play in Canada. It doesnt matter who/what we get, free agents wont come, and players bolt once they're FAs. Its simple.
I think that has more to do with the Raptors being a perennial loser, although I'm sure crossing the border does have some impact as well.

Old
06-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
I think TL and MU will help change the identity of the Raptors. Hopefully bring back credibility, and bring in some big names.

That being said, we shouldn't go out and sign the biggest name just to sign him. We have some good pieces (Ross, Jonas, Gay, DD, Amir, Lowry) that will be apart of our future, or will be traded to get pieces that we use in the long term.

Old
06-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Wouldn't we just need to find a way to dump Kleiza and Bargnani and then look to trade DD and replace him with a more efficient player and basically roll with a core of Gay, Lowrie, Val and Amir?

Old
06-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Eytinge

Trading demar has to be near the top of masai's to do list.

Old
06-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Apparently Ujiri has made it an absolute priority to deal Bargs before July 1st. That's when the 7 day amnesty window kicks in.

Either case, it looks like Bargs is as good as gone.

Old
06-01-2013, 04:24 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
everyone is so excited for a new GM as if BC didnt come into Toronto with a great pedigree.. hell he won Exec of the year here.

The problem? Players dont wanna play in Canada. It doesnt matter who/what we get, free agents wont come, and players bolt once they're FAs. Its simple.
That's the reason you never trade your picks period.

Old
06-01-2013, 04:25 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I'm not the most educated about basketball, but I try to keep up with the Raps as much as I can. Why is everyone talking about trading DD?

Old
06-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Quote:

...which is why so many of us here are keen at the prospect of Wiggins.

Old
06-01-2013, 04:40 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I'm not the most educated about basketball, but I try to keep up with the Raps as much as I can. Why is everyone talking about trading DD?

I am also wondering about that. I thought he showed good improvement this season.

Old
06-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:

No that isn't the problem. The problem is we are the laughing stock of the NBA. so players don't want to come here. There are many players who want to speak highly of Toronto. But when we are throwing 11M and 6M a season to the likes of bargnani and fields. and have one of the worst records overall since our we have been added to the league. It will be hard to attract players here.

Old
06-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
His inability to defend and shoot 3s leaves us with a rather redundant swingman.

Old
06-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
His inability to defend and shoot 3s leaves us with a rather redundant swingman.
Yup. Plus his 40 million dollar contract kicks in next season and it would be smart to trade him while his value is still decent.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Hyperglide

I am totally opposed to tanking. Tanking doesn't get you a superstar. It's to wide open in the NBA. And the Raptors have sucked for so long I think we have a good mix of veterans and youth to take it to the next level. Obviously Masai has a lot of work to do with the coaching staff, scouts, assistant GMs, and getting rid of a lot of dead weight on this team like JL3, Bargnani, Kleiza, Fields, Gray, and possibly Gay.

Also I think DD really showed us a lot last season. Especially his budding chemistry with Gay. I wouldn't be to quick to ship him out yet. Lets see what they can do for a full season. If we can get a great PF somehow and dump all the crappy players/contracts of f this team we don't need to tank. Then we can just sign Wiggins once he becomes a FA after his rookie contract expires.

I'm tired of the Raptors constantly rebuilding/retooling/tanking. And don't say it's because we haven't done a proper tank yet.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
I am totally opposed to tanking. Tanking doesn't get you a superstar. It's to wide open in the NBA. And the Raptors have sucked for so long I think we have a good mix of veterans and youth to take it to the next level. Obviously Masai has a lot of work to do with the coaching staff, scouts, assistant GMs, and getting rid of a lot of dead weight on this team like JL3, Bargnani, Kleiza, Fields, Gray, and possibly Gay.

Also I think DD really showed us a lot last season. Especially his budding chemistry with Gay. I wouldn't be to quick to ship him out yet. Lets see what they can do for a full season. If we can get a great PF somehow and dump all the crappy players/contracts of f this team we don't need to tank. Then we can just sign Wiggins once he becomes a FA after his rookie contract expires.

I'm tired of the Raptors constantly rebuilding/retooling/tanking. And don't say it's because we haven't done a proper tank yet.
DD showed us nothing. He proved once again that he's an inefficient scorer with below average defensive ability. Not to mention that putrid contract kicks in this year.

No, tanking doesn't land a team a superstar, but for a team like the Raptors, it's their best bet. No top tier free agent is going to come here, plain and simple. And with the current roster we have, we are in no position to contend.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:

What an optimistic and enthusiastic post [/sarcasm]

The problem is that the team has sucked and our taxes ream players wallets. It has nothing to do with playing in Canada and not wanting to come here. Toronto is a world class city and the 4th largest in NA not counting Mexico City. We now have a 1st class ownership/management team and you can bet we are goign to have excellent scouts, facilities and now an excellent front office.

Plus this team has a lot of talent and youth now why wouldn't players want to sign here? I think you're way off base. If the tax issue wasn't such a problem I think you'd be seeing more players sign here. The problem currently is BC screwed this team up so bad with the cap that we can't get a player to come here until Ujiri fixes it by dumping all these bad contracts.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Leafssss

Quote:

List of past 10 NBA champions:

Miami (D-Wade was their franchise player who they got through the draft alongside an aging albeit effective Shaq, were fortunate enough to get Lebron and Bosh tho.)
Mavs (Dirk is their franchise player... Through the draft)
Lakers (Kobe is their their franchise player... Through the draft)
Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Ginobli were their core... All drafted by the Spurs)
Celtics (Pierce was arguably their most important player, who they drafted, but again were lucky to get KG and Ray Allen)
Only team that wasn't significantly built through the draft are the pistons.

It's all about drafting AND retaining great players.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post

Miami (D-Wade was their franchise player who they got through the draft alongside an aging albeit effective Shaq, were fortunate enough to get Lebron and Bosh tho.)
Celtics (Pierce was arguably their most important player, who they drafted, but again were lucky to get KG and Ray Allen)

Kobe was traded for Vlade Divac. Just saying.

06-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
DD showed us nothing. He proved once again that he's an inefficient scorer with below average defensive ability. Not to mention that putrid contract kicks in this year.

No, tanking doesn't land a team a superstar, but for a team like the Raptors, it's their best bet. No top tier free agent is going to come here, plain and simple. And with the current roster we have, we are in no position to contend.
Wrong..

2011-2012:
PPG: 17.2
GP: 63/66
MIN: 35.0
FG%: .422
3PT%: .261
REB: 3.3
AST: 2.0
STL: 0.8
FT%: .810
PER: 12.8

2012-2013:
PPG: 18.1
GP: 82
MIN: 36.8
FG%: .445
3PT%: .283 ------------ Ended the season shooting 9-12 from 3
REB: 4.0
AST: 2.5
STL: 0.9
FT%: .830
PER: 14.6

Guess which player that was? Also he got much better with Gay on the team. He won't see as many double teams and his handles got much better too which was one of his major weaknesses. Also he should be seeing more trips to the line too. So much pessimism around here. Am I on RealGM?

I don't have the numbers for his stats when Gay joined the team but I read somewhere that they had the 4th best starting line up in the LEAGUE since Gay joined, in a lot of advanced stats including efficiency.

And yet you guys want to tank.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Kobe was traded for Vlade Divac. Just saying.
Well it was pre-planned by the Lakers to choose Kobe was it not?

Old
06-01-2013, 06:31 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Well it was pre-planned by the Lakers to choose Kobe was it not?
Pretty sure Hornets wanted some one else and when it was Kobe they were open to trading him for Vlade.. Kobe was only coming out of HS.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:

Bargnani. Real franchise player there. Olowokandi. Where is he again? Darko? What happened to him? Pervis Ellison. Yup he was a stud. Greg Oden. Awesome pick up for the Blazers. John Wall. He's really taken Washington far. Kwame Brown. GOAT. K-Mart. NBA Legend right there. Kyrie Irving. Didn't the Cav's get 1st overall pick again?

Okay so that last one I just threw in there for ish and giggles. So ya getting the 1st overall pick or 2nd means insta-win.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Bargnani. Real franchise player there. Olowokandi. Where is he again? Darko? What happened to him? Pervis Ellison. Yup he was a stud. Greg Oden. Awesome pick up for the Blazers. John Wall. He's really taken Washington far. Kwame Brown. GOAT. K-Mart. NBA Legend right there. Kyrie Irving. Didn't the Cav's get 1st overall pick again?

Okay so that last one I just threw in there for ish and giggles. So ya getting the 1st overall pick or 2nd means insta-win.
John Wall cannot be blamed for how bad the Wizards are.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
John Wall cannot be blamed for how bad the Wizards are.
True lol but he is pretty overrated. People were expecting Washington to make the playoffs this year and Wall was going to take that next level to superstardom but it hasn't happened yet.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:39 PM
CanadianLov3

Quote:
We don't need Rudy and DD, but good thing is DD brought his value up late in the season.

Rudy struggled with shooting because he has bad vision in one eye, refused to wear goggles or contact lenses, but a month ago he got lasik done on it so he should improve now. I'd trade DD if it were between Rudy and him.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Leafssss

Quote:

How do you propose the raptors acquire a superstar?

Closed Thread