Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Future of the Slovak Extra League

Old
03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Future of the Slovak Extra League

Slovan and Košice wanted to join the Czech Extra League, but the bid was rejected by the Czech clubs last November. Piešťany was rumoured to be interested in the EBEL and so were Banská Bystrica, Zvolen and Poprad (not LEV of course).

So what is the future going to look like? Slovan and Košice in the KHL in a couple of years and the rest of the Slovak teams joining the EBEL? Or still a joined Czech-Slovak League after all?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Well there seems to be a lot of rumours in the past couple of days of Lev Poprad becoming Lev Praha, and there have been recent developments which may see Slovan join the KHL.

What that implies for the rest of the Extraliga is a very complicated matter, especially for Kosice.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Slovan and Košice in the KHL
Košice definitely not, Slovan maybe

Quote:
Well there seems to be a lot of rumours in the past couple of days of Lev Poprad becoming Lev Praha
yes, media wrote it.. but... but.. my info say something else

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:14 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post

yes, media wrote it.. but... but.. my info say something else
Dont be selfish, we want to know it too.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Slovan and Košice wanted to join the Czech Extra League, but the bid was rejected by the Czech clubs last November. Piešťany was rumoured to be interested in the EBEL and so were Banská Bystrica, Zvolen and Poprad (not LEV of course).

So what is the future going to look like? Slovan and Košice in the KHL in a couple of years and the rest of the Slovak teams joining the EBEL? Or still a joined Czech-Slovak League after all?
Where did you get this information? I have never heard about it. However everything is possible... I agree with Tatanik. It's complicated. IMO there are 3 basic scenarios:

1. No change. In the near future all the clubs will stay in Slovak Extraliga. Regular season was the most interesting in recent years so it's likely to happen. I hope for new champion. My favourites are HK Poprad and HK36 Skalica .

2. Best clubs will join Czech Extraliga. However last summer we had a chance to see it's too complicated. There are too many different interests... Rest of the clubs will stay in Slovak Extraliga or some of them will join EBEL. IMO it would depended on the system of united Czechoslovak Extraliga...

3. Slovan (maybe even HC Košice) will join KHL. It's all about money and depends on the decisions of businessmen. I doubt owners and sponsors of these clubs will join KHL without viable business plan. Some other clubs will join EBEL.

Hard to predict what's going to happen.

Last edited by Krotak: 03-07-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
"Definitely not" - do you only mean next season or do you mean in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
Where did you get this information? I have never heard about it.
Supposedly Hospodárske noviny had that rumour last November.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:24 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
"Definitely not" - do you only mean next season or do you mean in general?
you should know it is only my opinion based on my knowledge. You need 2 things to join KHL, 1st - interest of european club (HC Košice), 2nd - interest of KHL.

1st- I have never read rumours/ambitions of HC Košice to join KHL one day. Of course decision of joining can be made later, next year or later but.. look at 2nd point below

2nd - KHL wants to expand into central and west Europe. What is benefit for KHL to have 2 or 3 slovak clubs? Slovakia is small market, not so interesting for KHL. Yes, we have LEV Poprad but it is directed by czechs. LEV can relocate to Prague one day, I admit it. There will be Slovan (wants to join KHL next season)... from my point of view I dont see any room for HC Košice or another slovak club. Why should KHL fill 3 spots by slovak teams? We are not Germany with great marketing/bussiness/audience or so potential. IMO it is useless to have more clubs from such a small country from KHL´s point of view. IMO KHL needs to "occupy" more european territory not just country of Slovakia caliber. Of course I can be wrong.

to explain 1st point - Slovan is more active, they have showed interest of joing many times. So Slovan has adventage over Košice. If KHL acts like I wrote above, Košice will have no chance IMO.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:29 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Dont be selfish, we want to know it too.
we will see what will happen in summer. Slovak media, fans operate with this hypothesis "Komarek wants to bring KHL to O2 Arena, this KHL club is LEV Poprad" one or both of these facts can be wrong (if everyhing will go on acc.to plan)

Last edited by vorky: 03-07-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old
03-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I have never read rumours/ambitions of HC Košice to join KHL one day.
If Slovan leaves the Extra League, will Košice want to stay behind? Is the Extra League attractive enough for Košice without Slovan in the competition? Imagine the Scottish Premier League without Glasgow Rangers: A nightmare for Celtic Glasgow.

Quote:
What is benefit for KHL to have 2 or 3 slovak clubs? Slovakia is small market, not so interesting for KHL. Yes, we have LEV Poprad but it is directed by czechs. LEV can relocate to Prague one day, I admit it. There will be Slovan (wants to join KHL next season)... from my point of view I dont see any room for HC Košice or another slovak club. Why should KHL fill 3 spots by slovak teams?
I don't see room for Poprad + Slovan + Košice either. Three clubs are too much, but two clubs would be alright in my opinion. Slovakia is still a hockey country (although declining) and could support two KHL franchises. If LEV can draw more than 4,000 against the likes of Novokuznetsk, what numbers would Košice draw in the KHL when they are already averaging nearly 6,000 in the Extra League? And there would be a great rivalry between Košice and Slovan. I think KHL Slovan would benefit from KHL Košice. LEV would have to relocate though. Maybe to Hamilton, Ontario? I hear they are desperate for a franchise.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
If Slovan leaves the Extra League, will Košice want to stay behind? Is the Extra League attractive enough for Košice without Slovan in the competition? Imagine the Scottish Premier League without Glasgow Rangers: A nightmare for Celtic Glasgow.
IMO it is not. Slovan has said about joining KHL for a year or so. Why has Košice not made a statement about leaving? Košice has had a lot of time to do it. If they make it next year, it could be too late

Slovan will need farm team if they join KHL. Maybe they will stay in slovak league.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Indian

There are several posibilities as was said and I agree with the statement that 3 clubs from Slovakia in KHL would be too much, but hey who knows.
In the case of Slovan wanting to play KHL, I think they would create a new club for that purpose and maintain Slovan in extraleague as well, such as Poprad has and I think the same would be true for Kosice if they decided to join too. Right now I don't think Kosice are ready to join because of financial reasons.

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
IMO it is not. Slovan has said about joining KHL for a year or so. Why has Košice not made a statement about leaving?
I don't know. Maybe they didn't believe it would be financially feasible for them (and maybe for Slovan too). Maybe their focus was to join the Czech Extra League together with Slovan. But that door seems to be closed now.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Theokritos

With Slovan out of the league, attendance in Košice (from ~5,700 to ~4,000) and Trenčín (from ~3,500 to ~1,800) is in free fall this season. Piešťany still wants to join the EBEL while Zvolen is in high spirits after their championship run:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
Wow, news about Zvolen, current champion of Slovak Extraliga (Slovan was champion before them), trying to join KHL for 2014/2015 season:

http://sport.sme.sk/c/6785131/zahreb...aj-zvolen.html

Old
04-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

^^^

Can't believe in Zvolen to KHL over Kosice. Kosice has everything to be better applicant for KHL IMO.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:06 AM
DonCorleone
Rookie User

Quote:
Can't believe in Zvolen to KHL over Kosice. Kosice has everything to be better applicant for KHL IMO.
Although they say that they have the necessary sponsors, Zvolen in KHL is very unlikely. At first they need to build new stadium, because their ruin can't meet KHL rules..

DonCorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:48 AM
alko

The "Zvolen case" is interesting.
They said, they have 2 possibles sponsors from Russia.
But im asking, why this sponsors want to have team in Zvolen and not in Kosice? IMO Kosice is better suited for this experiment. Strange...

Old
05-10-2013, 04:15 AM
DonCorleone
Rookie User

Quote:
But im asking, why this sponsors want to have team in Zvolen and not in Kosice? IMO Kosice is better suited for this experiment. Strange...
Zvolen is already sponsored by Russian sponsor..

DonCorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Curious about the Slovak posters feel about the Orange team in the Slovak Extraliga. It's been a couple of years now, with the youngsters getting killed most games, but is it helping development? Is the Slovak Extraliga hurting because of it? Just curious. Doesn't seem like the Slovak Extraliga is doing much anyways.

No chance of a combined Czech-Slovak Extraliga, with the weaker Slovak teams merely slotting into div 2?

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:52 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Curious about the Slovak posters feel about the Orange team in the Slovak Extraliga. It's been a couple of years now, with the youngsters getting killed most games, but is it helping development? Is the Slovak Extraliga hurting because of it? Just curious. Doesn't seem like the Slovak Extraliga is doing much anyways.

No chance of a combined Czech-Slovak Extraliga, with the weaker Slovak teams merely slotting into div 2?
Orange team is a good option. That is my opinion. Sure, there are lot of people, that are strongly negative about it. Some days ago, Maros Krajci GM of Slovan Bratislava, said something about the idea to have this team in MHL. It would be junior team of Slovan with some other players.

The Czechoslovak league was strongly discussed last summer. But Czech teams doesnt want it.