HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 5: Where we all put on our GM caps

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 01:43 PM
jmoss45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Hmm.. I think the Oilers would definitely have to look twice at Beiksa for Hemsky deal..

The one thing that I would be cautious about is his contract length and cap hit..
Disagree. Beiksa is everything we need. I don't care what his cap hit is. He is a poor man's pronger.

Thing is I really can't see Van trading him. Why would they when they've likely only got a couple more kicks at the can with this core?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Quokka

What about something like Ryan Whitney for Keith Ballard. Both healthy scratches for their respective teams recently. Ballard seems like an upgrade on Whitney. Vancouver might downgrade to get Ballard's contract off the books and because Whitney's contract expires this year. If it doesn't work out we could still buy out Ballard's contract in the next two summers.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Joey Moss

So...

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Eberle
Jones - Belanger - Yakupov
Brown - Smyth - Petrell
Eager, VV

When Horcoff comes back someone must be on the move... Hopefully Belanger or Eager.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So...

Brown - Smyth - Petrell
Eager, VV

When Horcoff comes back someone must be on the move... Hopefully Belanger or Eager.
VV back to OKC is a no brainer. Smyth at center was a failed expirement that I doubt they try again.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
What about something like Ryan Whitney for Keith Ballard. Both healthy scratches for their respective teams recently. Ballard seems like an upgrade on Whitney. Vancouver might downgrade to get Ballard's contract off the books and because Whitney's contract expires this year. If it doesn't work out we could still buy out Ballard's contract in the next two summers.
Seems like a pretty big risk to grab a 6/7th dman and say if it doesn't work out we will just buy him out....with his 4.2mill a year contract.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:54 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@EdmontonOilers: GM Tambellini on Brown: "He's a passionate player. He plays with a lot of energy. He has good speed."

@GenePrincipe: "Dave(Nonis) and I spoke awhile ago. However it was only in the last couple of days that the deal came about. I didn't want to hesitate."

Old
03-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Spitsfan67*

Would Something around this work for both teams and be fair?

To Nashville:
Ales Hemsky
2nd 2014

To Edmonton:
Colin Wilson
Ryan Ellis

Would this be fair? I think rejoining Ellis and Hallsy togeather who are still really good friends i think there would be a big spark and the Defence on the PP in the future would be lethal(Shultz, Ellis), and a big Power forward who can score and be physical would look really good on the 2nd/3rd line down the middle.Nashville gets a very good player that can put the puck in the net and has had a couple down seasons in Edmonton and maybe a change of view will do him good, and i threw in a seond next year to even it out with Hemsky having a bigger contract and Wilson and Ellis having some potential.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 2292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post

To Nashville:
Ales Hemsky
2nd 2014

To Edmonton:
Colin Wilson
Ryan Ellis

Would this be fair? I think rejoining Ellis and Hallsy togeather who are still really good friends i think there would be a big spark and the Defence on the PP in the future would be lethal(Shultz, Ellis), and a big Power forward who can score and be physical would look really good on the 2nd/3rd line down the middle.Nashville gets a very good player that can put the puck in the net and has had a couple down seasons in Edmonton and maybe a change of view will do him good, and i threw in a seond next year to even it out with Hemsky having a bigger contract and Wilson and Ellis having some potential.
No way Nashville does that.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
So...

Brown - Smyth - Petrell
Eager, VV

, Smyth can barely play wing, let alone Center. No, that experiment is done.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
, Smyth can barely play wing, let alone Center. No, that experiment is done.
True, but it's also the 4th line so... If he isn't playing center he shouldn't be on this team. He should be the 13th forward now with Brown in the lineup. If Paajarvi keeps playing well, there has to be a move coming. Smyth's the odd man out but he won't want to be traded anywhere and we would never waive him. IDK, maybe they'll send Paajarvi down no matter what..

Old
03-04-2013, 02:27 PM
stoff

Quote:
True, but it's also the 4th line so... If he isn't playing center he shouldn't be on this team. He should be the 13th forward now with Brown in the lineup. If Paajarvi keeps playing well, there has to be a move coming. Smyth's the odd man out but he won't want to be traded anywhere and we would never waive him.
Or

Smyth Horcoff paajarvi
Eager/brown Belanger jones

We should be getting rid of a dman soon and then petrell is 13/14th forward.

Smyth is still useful player.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:37 PM
trent_vinyl

Quote:
So...

Brown - Smyth - Petrell
Eager, VV

VV and unfortunately Paajarvi to the minors.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

My guess is Harti will be traded before the deadline. My feelings are that I don't think he wants to play in OKC anymore and would rather get a shot on another NHL team OR head back overseas this summer.

I don't think he's a lock to play on this roster... he's big and has good boardwork skills, but isn't particularly speedy nor does he have good/great hands nor is he overly physical for his size imo.

I just think he's probably an asset the Oilers may move for a better fit on the team (or a draft pick if nothing else can be worked out).

Old
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
True, but it's also the 4th line so... If he isn't playing center he shouldn't be on this team. He should be the 13th forward now with Brown in the lineup. If Paajarvi keeps playing well, there has to be a move coming. Smyth's the odd man out but he won't want to be traded anywhere and we would never waive him. IDK, maybe they'll send Paajarvi down no matter what..
Sitting Smyth would really prove Tambo's idiocy for signing him for 2 yrs. They will play him till he fully decays in his skates. If anything pisses me off about Tambo, this is it.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Slatsmsg

I hate the thought of Harti not being an Oiler.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
A Classy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post

To Nashville:
Ales Hemsky
2nd 2014

To Edmonton:
Colin Wilson
Ryan Ellis

Oilers pull the trigger and then laugh all the way home.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatsmsg View Post
I hate the thought of Harti not being an Oiler.
I don't. Most overrated player on the team.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:44 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Very, very mediocre player. He has size, but what more? Dime a dozen talent. I'd rather have a battle tested veteran in his role that gives a consistent effort.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Or

Smyth Horcoff paajarvi
Eager/brown Belanger jones

We should be getting rid of a dman soon and then petrell is 13/14th forward.

Smyth is still useful player.
As much as I love him... Ryan is almost done in this league as an everyday player... might be done entirely after 12-13... you hope he does the admirable thing next year... goes down to OKC and plays a Mike Keane role or accepts the press box as his regular linemate... but feeling is and he has shown in his career he won't go quietly into the night... fine by me... he will get the message next summer when his deal is up and no one offers better

You see it in the LW situation...

Hall- Uh yeah, Smyth maybe fights this guy for time ten years ago but not today...

Eberle/Hemsky/Yakupov- Rotating door for sure but all better players right now on top six roles...

Hartikainen/Paajarvi- Only place of competition as you say... but these two kids are chomping at his ES minutes and split his PK time... you only have four forwards anyway on PK (will touch on that) and if this is only place #94 makes a difference he should be in fourth line role... and so..

Eager/Smyth- I am fine with 94 splitting time here... Eager comes in for NW opponents and bigger teams... Smyth for puck possession opponents like Detroit Chicago

So my lineup...

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Paajarvi
Eager/Smyth-Belanger-Petrell/Brown

Top two PK units have same forwards... Belanger/Petrell Horcoff/Jones... Paajarvi/Gagner as third unit forwards... Brown/Smyth and Hartikainen as spares

Old
03-04-2013, 02:47 PM
jmoss45

I don't mind Brown but can we honestly say he addresses a need? He will hit more, which is great but beyond that..?

We need size in the top 6/9, to help us around the net and to retrieve pucks on the dump. Brown doesn't help in either area.

We always talk about functional toughness.. just because this guy kills the odd penalty doesn't mean much IMO.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
Very, very mediocre player. He has size, but what more? Dime a dozen talent. I'd rather have a battle tested veteran in his role that gives a consistent effort.
Unfortunately we don't have any.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Slatsmsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
I understand, he's not a star, but in alot of the action I've seen of him this year he works like a bugger along the boards, pushes play towards the net.

BUT...something is going to have to give from the forward ranks. Rather move Harti than MPS.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:05 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Unfortunately we don't have any.
No, and that's why Tambo has to go.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Perhaps a deal with CBJ based around Harski and Foligno or Dubinsky?

It would cost more than Hartikainen for either, but I think it's a decent starting point. Both guys can play in the top 6 as well.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:17 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Yep, I really liked the idea of him going into this season, but he was given every chance to put up points this year, and simply didn't do so.

Closed Thread