HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 5: Where we all put on our GM caps

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
In all fairness I don't know what kind of top 4 d-man you won't have to overpay for.
Z.Michalek - 2nd round pick
Visnovsky - 2nd round pick
Seidenberg - Kevyn Adams (or more recently, Byron Bitz and a 2nd)
Campbell - Olesz
Klesla - Upshall
Pitkanen - Cole
Liles - 2nd round pick
Tyutin - Zherdev
Regehr (plus a 2nd) - Butler and Byron

And that's not including the moves for guys like Burns and Byfuglien who their teams gave up a fair amount for, but were still better off for doing so.

03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Ouch Weiss done for year. There goes any chance of getting anything decent for the kid.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
21shumpStreet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Ouch Weiss done for year. There goes any chance of getting anything decent for the kid.
any chance we target him in free agency? Could be a useful centre, depending on how much he wants.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
joestevens29

That list is pretty poor. Half off them aren't realistic. Michalek wanted to go back to PHX, Seidenberg was a rental was he not, campbell was a deal only Tallon could make, Regehr isn't a top 4. Zherdev was a 60 point palyer. And a good chunk were dealt because of salary

The fact is as of right now top 4 d-man are in high demand, any decent ones aren't going to come cheap.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Waivers: Boychuk awarded to NSH from PIT. Pit places Kostopoulos and Wsh places Hamrlik on Waivers.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:13 PM
GMofOilers

Dam i would almost put a claim in on Hamrlik

Old
03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
That list is pretty poor. Half off them aren't realistic. Michalek wanted to go back to PHX, Seidenberg was a rental was he not, campbell was a deal only Tallon could make, Regehr isn't a top 4. Zherdev was a 60 point palyer. And a good chunk were dealt because of salary

The fact is as of right now top 4 d-man are in high demand, any decent ones aren't going to come cheap.
My point was that it doesn't always cost an asset like Yakupov or Eberle, or whoever just to get a defenseman who can play in your top 4.

Seidenberg was a rental in his most recent trade, but he was a top 4D who was still an RFA when he went to Carolina in the first place.

Michalek had a limited no-trade, and no doubt Phoenix was on the list, but nobody knows who the other teams were. I don't recall ever hearing he wanted to go back to Phoenix.

Not sure why only Talon could've made the Campbell trade.

Regehr was absolutely a top 4 D when he was traded to Buffalo.

Zherdev was a 60 point player, but if it wasn't for the circumstances he was dealt under, he would've got a lot more than Tyutin. If we had a player Tambellini hated, I'm sure we'd be moving him for $0.50 on the dollar too.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Waivers: Boychuk awarded to NSH from PIT. Pit places Kostopoulos and Wsh places Hamrlik on Waivers.
Anyone want to take a chance on Hamrlik? Might be a good veterean presence to help out the d corps. Can't be any worse then Potter IMO.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

Liles for a second was outright robbery, we need Tambo to make a deal like that. And it doesn't matter if its a rental, we need to compete for the playoffs.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Hamrlik is a no-brainer. This means the likelihood of us getting him is almost none.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
jsho

Quote:
Hamrlik is intriguing. UFA this summer and making 3.5/yr. Not sure what kind of player he is this year however since hes only played 4 games but could be a solid depth D for sure and is always good on the +/- if you put any weight on that.

I don't see the harm in putting in a claim for him.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
My point was that it doesn't always cost an asset like Yakupov or Eberle, or whoever just to get a defenseman who can play in your top 4.

Seidenberg was a rental in his most recent trade, but he was a top 4D who was still an RFA when he went to Carolina in the first place.

Michalek had a limited no-trade, and no doubt Phoenix was on the list, but nobody knows who the other teams were. I don't recall ever hearing he wanted to go back to Phoenix.

Zherdev was a 60 point player, but if it wasn't for the circumstances he was dealt under, he would've got a lot more than Tyutin. If we had a player Tambellini hated, I'm sure we'd be moving him for $0.50 on the dollar too.
I by no means meant trading Yak for help, but look at the names that get tossed around. Is anyone really thinking we are going to get something decent for PRV? We can have Liles right now if we wanted, is it a fit?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Yablo21

Washington Places Hamrlik on Waivers

I don't know what you guys think, but Hamrlik could help us out. Veteran proven D-man, history with Oil. Replace minutes of Potter or Whitney.

??

Old
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Hamrlik is intriguing. UFA this summer and making 3.5/yr. Not sure what kind of player he is this year however since hes only played 4 games but could be a solid depth D for sure and is always good on the +/- if you put any weight on that.

I don't see the harm in putting in a claim for him.
My biggest concern is can he even pass a physical at this point?

4 games played makes me wonder if he's any better than Teubert, let along Potter and Whitney.

It is zero risk other than cash money, but I won't cry if he is passed up. Teams across the league are looking for d help and WSH couldn't even get a 7th for him? He falls into the McGratton category, a guy that clears waivers that probably gets traded for a contract or WSH keeps part of his contract.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Do it. Anything to get peckam off this roster.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
I by no means meant trading Yak for help, but look at the names that get tossed around. Is anyone really thinking we are going to get something decent for PRV? We can have Liles right now if we wanted, is it a fit?
Frickin rights, we need to push Petry out of the top 6.

Schultz-Smid
Liles-N.Schultz
Petry-Fistric
Hamrlik(Most likely Potter since Tambo wont claim him), Peckham

We need one top 4 PMD and an upgrade on N.Schultz IMO to compete for playoffs.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

4 games played makes me wonder if he's any better than Teubert, let along Potter and Whitney.

It is zero risk other than cash money, but I won't cry if he is passed up. Teams across the league are looking for d help and WSH couldn't even get a 7th for him? He falls into the McGratton category, a guy that clears waivers that probably gets traded for a contract or WSH keeps part of his contract.
He'd still be practicing with the team, and a guy that plays 19 years in the league is probably the type of guy thats always working out.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Tallon got Campbell as he was the one that gave him the deal in the first place. He convinced Brian to come to Florida as they had a prior relationship. Even so would you want him?

Regehr was on a downward trend, he had very little left at top 4.

Michalek, i'm sure I read he wanted to go to PHX, hence why he was dealt for nothing.

I don't remember the Seidenberg that went to Carolina, but something tells me he wasn't a top 4 given what he played 29,34 and 32 games before going to Carolina.

Liles was a good one I guess.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He'd still be practicing with the team, and a guy that plays 19 years in the league is probably the type of guy thats always working out.
You would think that, but what were Whitney and Smyth doing during the lockout?
Quote:
Frickin rights, we need to push Petry out of the top 6.

Schultz-Smid
Liles-N.Schultz
Petry-Fistric
Hamrlik(Most likely Potter since Tambo wont claim him), Peckham

We need one top 4 PMD and an upgrade on N.Schultz IMO to compete for playoffs.
I guess it could work. I don't like his contract though. I mean the guy is a healthy scratch in Toronto with 3 or 4 years left at close to 4mil.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I'd see if we can parlay Potter into anything and claim Hamerlik. I know it will probably not work out, and I know he probably will be a failed experiment, but I don't care. I loved Hamerlik as an Oiler back in the day.

He's a UFA, only thing he costs is cap space we have in abundance.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
You would think that, but what were Whitney and Smyth doing during the lockout?

I guess it could work. I don't like his contract though. I mean the guy is a healthy scratch in Toronto with 3 or 4 years left at close to 4mil.
Whitney was hurt and if the last game was any indication he's starting to get his game back. Smyth is a forward who been beat on for the last 15+ years in the league and was on the downturn last year. Also forwards have to skate a hell of a lot more then d men so d men should be able to play at a high level for a bit longer as long as they can keep their speed.

On Liles if we bring him in and he sucks Katz can buy him out next summer, could also see if Toronto will eat 1M of his caphit if we were to deal for him.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
jsho

Quote:

Well was he injured or just lower on the depth chart. Washington has decent D if they are healthy.

Green, Carlson, Schultz, Erskin, Alzner, Poti, Kundratek all seem to be above him. And I think they are in need of a right and shot so they signed and called up Oleksy.

Maybe even Hamrlik asked for this to happen to get playing time?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Hamrlik is a no-brainer. This means the likelihood of us getting him is almost none.
You have it backwards. If it is a no brainer we get him for sure.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Whitney was hurt and if the last game was any indication he's starting to get his game back. Smyth is a forward who been beat on for the last 15+ years in the league and was on the downturn last year. Also forwards have to skate a hell of a lot more then d men so d men should be able to play at a high level for a bit longer as long as they can keep their speed.

On Liles if we bring him in and he sucks Katz can buy him out next summer, could also see if Toronto will eat 1M of his caphit if we were to deal for him.
I don't think it's that easy. Everyone assumes Katz is going to fork over the money, but I don't know that it's just that easy. Especially if you just acquired the guy.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
You have it backwards. If it is a no brainer we get him for sure.
Nah, we don't do no-brainers.

Closed Thread