HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 5: Where we all put on our GM caps

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Well was he injured or just lower on the depth chart. Washington has decent D if they are healthy.

Green, Carlson, Schultz, Erskin, Alzner, Poti, Kundratek all seem to be above him. And I think they are in need of a right and shot so they signed and called up Oleksy.

Maybe even Hamrlik asked for this to happen to get playing time?
Which then brings up this question. Why didn't Ottawa trade for him?

Or PHI and LA for that matter.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't think it's that easy. Everyone assumes Katz is going to fork over the money, but I don't know that it's just that easy. Especially if you just acquired the guy.
Well it would be at the end of next season, not sure what the buyout would be but his last season his contract goes down to 2.75M. So it would cost at maximum 7M, not sure on the new buyout rules but if its still the 2/3rds to buyout the contract it would only be 4.67M.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Well it would be at the end of next season, not sure what the buyout would be but his last season his contract goes down to 2.75M. So it would cost at maximum 7M, not sure on the new buyout rules but if its still the 2/3rds to buyout the contract it would only be 4.67M.
That's not exactly chump change.

I do find it funny that people bash Tambo for deals he made, but in imaginary world if a deal a fan proposes doesn't work it's okay just buy him out no harm.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
joestevens29

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
I've been wrong a time or 10 before but I'd be shocked if some team doesn't put in waiver claim on WSH dman Roman Hamrlik. Good insurance.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
That's not exactly chump change.

I do find it funny that people bash Tambo for deals he made, but in imaginary world if a deal a fan proposes doesn't work it's okay just buy him out no harm.
Well then keep him, its not like were spending to the cap anyways.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Hamrlik is 39 next month and has been trending down for a while. I wouldn't jump on that waiver pickup even though he might be an upgrade on Potter/Whitney/Peckham in the bottom pairing.

I'm not saying he'd be useless but I don't think he'd be enough of an upgrade to use the Oilers last available contract spot on him.

Oilers have too many bodies as it is right now on the roster... something like 17 forwards and 8 dmen to juggle if everyone is healthy... and I doubt they add yet another without first dealing at least 1 or 2 players away.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

With Horcoff/Lander/Harti/Fistric coming back from IR soon... the Oilers will be forced to trade/waive someone VERY soon.

It will be interesting to see what Tambo does... he's probably counting on the IR to stay full so he can assess and ponder for as long as possible.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
oStealthKiller

vCash: 500
How about vincent lecalvier ?

Tampa:
Hemsky
2013 or 2014 1st
B level prospect

Edmonton
Lecalvier

Too much? Too little? What do you guys think

Old
03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
With Horcoff/Lander/Harti/Fistric coming back from IR soon... the Oilers will be forced to trade/waive someone VERY soon.

It will be interesting to see what Tambo does... he's probably counting on the IR to stay full so he can assess and ponder for as long as possible.
I would say the simple answer right now, is both Lander and Hartikainen go to OKC

Old
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oStealthKiller View Post

Tampa:
Hemsky
2013 or 2014 1st
B level prospect

Edmonton
Lecalvier

Too much and that guy is on a retirement Contract there. He's too important to the Franchise in that city to move.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I would say the simple answer right now, is both Lander and Hartikainen go to OKC
Smyth playing center leads me to believe they aren't too high on VV who seems to be used less and less.

Really VV, Lander, Harti and Prv can all go down so I don't think numbers to get under the 23 man roster is a problem.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Smyth playing center leads me to believe they aren't too high on VV who seems to be used less and less.

Really VV, Lander, Harti and Prv can all go down so I don't think numbers to get under the 23 man roster is a problem.
I really do not understand why they would put Smyth at centre... The last time they tried it after two games Smyth was in the press box... He is too slow now to be playing centre..

Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by oStealthKiller View Post

Tampa:
Hemsky
2013 or 2014 1st
B level prospect

Edmonton
Lecalvier

7 more years at a cap hit of 7.727mill a year. And hes making 10/year salary this year and 3 more years after.

Hes turned the page for his prime. He is still a very solid player and would fit in well...but not with that cap hit.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I really do not understand why they would put Smyth at centre... The last time they tried it after two games Smyth was in the press box... He is too slow now to be playing centre..
That and Kreuger was quite adamant that they needed a center to be called up last time Smyth was there. I guess he's thinking Smyth>VV at center.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I........I sort of want a goon line for the 4th line now. With Brown and Eager already in place, I kind of want to add a C who can win FO's, play on the PK and is physical. Just for the 4th line. Fighting ability would be a plus but not a necessity.

Maybe? No? Ok.

03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I........I sort of want a goon line for the 4th line now. With Brown and Eager already in place, I kind of want to add a C who can win FO's, play on the PK and is physical. Just for the 4th line. Fighting ability would be a plus but not a necessity.

Maybe? No? Ok.
Konopka??

Old
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Konopka??
This is who I was thinking as well.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Too much and that guy is on a retirement Contract there. He's too important to the Franchise in that city to move.
I'm not sure that Lecavalier is that important to Tampa. Clearly is Stamkos's team now

That said his contract would be too big of a burden for this team. If Vinny goes anywhere I would like to see him back together with Richards.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
This is who I was thinking as well.
Han't he been a healthy scratch tooo? We better run in it by the Scrub patrol first though.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Han't he been a healthy scratch tooo? We better run in it by the Scrub patrol first though.
Any trade that's not for Wayne Simmonds is a trade that sucks.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Harski+ for B. Boyle

Isn't Boyle basically what we hope Harski turns into?
Play him on the 4th line until Horcoff returns. When Horcoff returns you make a decision on Belanger or play him on the 4th line wing with spot duty on the either of the top 2 lines and see if he's a fit. It's a low risk move and give the NYR an extra million in salary cap room.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Quote:

Well if everyone is healthy at once (small miracle I know)... then yes they could send down all of VV, Lander, Harti and MPS to get to the 23 man limit but I don't think they'll do that.

VV I have never been very impressed with at all and don't think he has a future on the team more so than being at the very best an emergency callup.

The fact that they are going to use Smyth at centre over VV is a good example of that. Smyth sucks as a centre and they still choose that over VV. Just send him down to OKC forever and get it over with. Honestly I'd rather have seen what Arcobello could have done in a few more games. 1 game wasn't much of a window for him.

I've watched VV in a fair sample of games now. At best he's invisible out there... doesn't really bring anything to the table outside of mediocre faceoff ability (standard for a C on the Oilers) and some level of defensive ability but nothing that stands out as a good 4th line energy/physical player which is what is really required.

Harti/MPS/Lander though I think will all benefit with more NHL time.

Yes they could all be sent down to OKC but I personally don't think that Harti and MPS in particular would benefit much by seeing more AHL time. Lander possibly... because he could use more top 6 icetime to work on faceoffs and try to find some offense in his game.

Harti and MPS though... being wingers, I personally think they are better off on an NHL roster at this point.

I just think Tambo will make a move here because simply sending a handful of guys down to OKC when everyone is healthy again isn't going to help this team going forward.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Any trade that's not for Wayne Simmonds is a trade that sucks.
Yeah but we can give up Whitney and VV. Pretty sure Holmgren is desparate.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Harski+ for B. Boyle

Isn't Boyle basically what we hope Harski turns into?
Play him on the 4th line until Horcoff returns. When Horcoff returns you make a decision on Belanger or play him on the 4th line wing with spot duty on the either of the top 2 lines and see if he's a fit. It's a low risk move and give the NYR an extra million in salary cap room.
This works too.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Yeah but we can give up Whitney and VV. Pretty sure Holmgren is desparate.
That's a damn overpayment and you know it! Whitney and a 7th should have Holmgren knocking down our door!

Closed Thread