HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 5: Where we all put on our GM caps

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
  #951
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Hamrlik's rapid decline is sad but not surprising at his age. He was just playing 20 minutes a night and was a + player during the 2012 playoffs.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
  #952
Njoy Oilers
Registered User
 
Njoy Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Alberta.
Posts: 3,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well if everyone is healthy at once (small miracle I know)... then yes they could send down all of VV, Lander, Harti and MPS to get to the 23 man limit but I don't think they'll do that.

VV I have never been very impressed with at all and don't think he has a future on the team more so than being at the very best an emergency callup.

The fact that they are going to use Smyth at centre over VV is a good example of that. Smyth sucks as a centre and they still choose that over VV. Just send him down to OKC forever and get it over with. Honestly I'd rather have seen what Arcobello could have done in a few more games. 1 game wasn't much of a window for him.

I've watched VV in a fair sample of games now. At best he's invisible out there... doesn't really bring anything to the table outside of mediocre faceoff ability (standard for a C on the Oilers) and some level of defensive ability but nothing that stands out as a good 4th line energy/physical player which is what is really required.

Harti/MPS/Lander though I think will all benefit with more NHL time.

Yes they could all be sent down to OKC but I personally don't think that Harti and MPS in particular would benefit much by seeing more AHL time. Lander possibly... because he could use more top 6 icetime to work on faceoffs and try to find some offense in his game.

Harti and MPS though... being wingers, I personally think they are better off on an NHL roster at this point.

I just think Tambo will make a move here because simply sending a handful of guys down to OKC when everyone is healthy again isn't going to help this team going forward.
The Smytty resigning has definately crippled the left side, and now centre for MPS & others to play up. That said, Lowe is the little man in Tambo's head, and he isn't paying attention right now.

Njoy Oilers is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  #953
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1-2 Whoop Whoop
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Harski+ for B. Boyle

Isn't Boyle basically what we hope Harski turns into?
Play him on the 4th line until Horcoff returns. When Horcoff returns you make a decision on Belanger or play him on the 4th line wing with spot duty on the either of the top 2 lines and see if he's a fit. It's a low risk move and give the NYR an extra million in salary cap room.
Eager-Boyle-Brown

Looks like a great fourth line to me. It has a little bit of everything. In the summer we draft Monahan, sign clowe and dump Horcoff/Belanger. It would give Gagner another year or two at center.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Hemsky-Monahan-Jones
Eager-Boyle-Brown

That's looking pretty good!

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  #954
dixs35
Registered User
 
dixs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,454
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Eager-Boyle-Brown

Looks like a great fourth line to me. It has a little bit of everything. In the summer we draft Monahan, sign clowe and dump Horcoff/Belanger. It would give Gagner another year or two at center.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Hemsky-Monahan-Jones
Eager-Boyle-Brown

That's looking pretty good!
Like that line-up. I thought the Oil were going to have to package up picks to get in range to draft Monahan or Barkov. Sadly IMO they probably are in range to draft either of those 2 this year. Although that would allow them to package up their two 2nds+ to pick their golden boy Lazar. That being said if the Oil do tank walking out with one of Monahan/Barkov + Lazar would make it a nice first round.

dixs35 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  #955
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hamrlik's rapid decline is sad but not surprising at his age. He was just playing 20 minutes a night and was a + player during the 2012 playoffs.
I'm wondering if his lockout comments are hurting him.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
  #956
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm wondering if his lockout comments are hurting him.
ya, that'll learn'em.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
  #957
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
The Next 8 Months for the Oilers, changing and improving...hopefully.

In this season, moves to be made to shake things up.

To WAS: Hemsky and Petry

To Edm: Green and Brouwer
--------
To TB: PRV and Hartikainen

To Edm: Malone
--------
To MTL: Eager and Whitney

To Edm: White and Blunden
--------
To ANA: Potter and a 4th

To Edm: Fredick Anderson
-------
So the team would look much different

Hall-Nuge-Brouwer
Malone-Gagner-Eberle
Yakupov-Horcoff-Jones
Smyth-Belanger-Brown/Petrell
White

Smid-Green
Schultz-Schultz
Fistric-Peckham
Tuebert/others

Dubnyk
Habby


At the Draft move Peckham and a 2nd for a later pick in the 1st round, try to get Lazar at that spot

Buyout - Horcoff and Smyth(hopefully he just retires 'DONE')
Re-sign – Jones, Smid, Fistric, Petrell, Gagner and White
UFAs – Valtteri Filppula and Robyn Regehr
Filppula comes from an organization that knows how to win, he’s a solid upgrade on Horcoff and can play in the top-6 when needed.

Regehr may not be the same guy he was in Calgary, but he’s still a solid and mean defender, who I see as a nice partner for Justin Schultz. He makes the Oilers harder to play against.

So the team going into next season looks like
Hall – Nuge – Brouwer
Malone – Gagner – Eberle
Yakupov – Filppula – Jones
White – Belanger – Brown/Petrell
Lander

Smid – Green
Regehr – J. Schultz
N. Schultz – Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
Anderson/Roy/another guy (not Habby)

I’m not saying this team is a gimme, nor that it would be simply put together, but I feel they’re all fairly reasonable moves that this team Could, make.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:05 PM
  #958
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Hall – Nuge – Brouwer
Malone – Gagner – Eberle
Yakupov – Filppula – Jones
White – Belanger – Brown/Petrell
Lander

Smid – Green
Regehr – J. Schultz
N. Schultz – Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
Anderson/Roy/another guy (not Habby)
swap Brouwer for a LW to get Yak to his native wing, and this looks interesting!

Comrade Blunderbore is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
  #959
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,857
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Next 8 Months for the Oilers, changing and improving...hopefully.

In this season, moves to be made to shake things up.

To WAS: Hemsky and Petry

To Edm: Green and Brouwer
--------
To TB: PRV and Hartikainen

To Edm: Malone
--------
To MTL: Eager and Whitney

To Edm: White and Blunden
--------
To ANA: Potter and a 4th

To Edm: Fredick Anderson
-------
So the team would look much different

Hall-Nuge-Brouwer
Malone-Gagner-Eberle
Yakupov-Horcoff-Jones
Smyth-Belanger-Brown/Petrell
White

Smid-Green
Schultz-Schultz
Fistric-Peckham
Tuebert/others

Dubnyk
Habby


At the Draft move Peckham and a 2nd for a later pick in the 1st round, try to get Lazar at that spot

Buyout - Horcoff and Smyth(hopefully he just retires 'DONE')
Re-sign – Jones, Smid, Fistric, Petrell, Gagner and White
UFAs – Valtteri Filppula and Robyn Regehr
Filppula comes from an organization that knows how to win, he’s a solid upgrade on Horcoff and can play in the top-6 when needed.

Regehr may not be the same guy he was in Calgary, but he’s still a solid and mean defender, who I see as a nice partner for Justin Schultz. He makes the Oilers harder to play against.

So the team going into next season looks like
Hall – Nuge – Brouwer
Malone – Gagner – Eberle
Yakupov – Filppula – Jones
White – Belanger – Brown/Petrell
Lander

Smid – Green
Regehr – J. Schultz
N. Schultz – Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
Anderson/Roy/another guy (not Habby)

I’m not saying this team is a gimme, nor that it would be simply put together, but I feel they’re all fairly reasonable moves that this team Could, make.
Don't like that return for Paajarvi and Hartikainen

OilDrop37 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
  #960
A Classy Banana
Registered User
 
A Classy Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 279
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So the team going into next season looks like
Hall – Nuge – Brouwer
Malone – Gagner – Eberle
Yakupov – Filppula – Jones
White – Belanger – Brown/Petrell
Lander

Smid – Green
Regehr – J. Schultz
N. Schultz – Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
Anderson/Roy/another guy (not Habby)

I’m not saying this team is a gimme, nor that it would be simply put together, but I feel they’re all fairly reasonable moves that this team Could, make.
Have you considered the cap implications of all those additions/subtractions?

A Classy Banana is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
  #961
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Classy Banana View Post
Have you considered the cap implications of all those additions/subtractions?
I have, and it's a "tad" on the expensive side if you still count Smyth's cap hit and give all the signed players the top end of what they could go for.

I think it could work as long as you don't long term too many expensive deals.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  #962
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Next 8 Months for the Oilers, changing and improving...hopefully.

In this season, moves to be made to shake things up.

To WAS: Hemsky and Petry

To Edm: Green and Brouwer
--------
To TB: PRV and Hartikainen

To Edm: Malone
--------
To MTL: Eager and Whitney

To Edm: White and Blunden
--------
To ANA: Potter and a 4th

To Edm: Fredick Anderson
-------
So the team would look much different

Hall-Nuge-Brouwer
Malone-Gagner-Eberle
Yakupov-Horcoff-Jones
Smyth-Belanger-Brown/Petrell
White

Smid-Green
Schultz-Schultz
Fistric-Peckham
Tuebert/others

Dubnyk
Habby


At the Draft move Peckham and a 2nd for a later pick in the 1st round, try to get Lazar at that spot

Buyout - Horcoff and Smyth(hopefully he just retires 'DONE')
Re-sign – Jones, Smid, Fistric, Petrell, Gagner and White
UFAs – Valtteri Filppula and Robyn Regehr
Filppula comes from an organization that knows how to win, he’s a solid upgrade on Horcoff and can play in the top-6 when needed.

Regehr may not be the same guy he was in Calgary, but he’s still a solid and mean defender, who I see as a nice partner for Justin Schultz. He makes the Oilers harder to play against.

So the team going into next season looks like
Hall – Nuge – Brouwer
Malone – Gagner – Eberle
Yakupov – Filppula – Jones
White – Belanger – Brown/Petrell
Lander

Smid – Green
Regehr – J. Schultz
N. Schultz – Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
Anderson/Roy/another guy (not Habby)

I’m not saying this team is a gimme, nor that it would be simply put together, but I feel they’re all fairly reasonable moves that this team Could, make.
WSH laughs at that proposal.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  #963
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 50
why cant PRV play C? he can skate and is good enough defensively, he cant be worse at FO than Gagner or RNH.

CornKicker is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
  #964
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Another guy I'd look at is Matt Cullen in Minny. UFA at seasons's end. I like the way he plays.

backhandsauce is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
  #965
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Another guy I'd look at is Matt Cullen in Minny. UFA at seasons's end. I like the way he plays.
plus he cant light us up if hes on our team.

CornKicker is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
  #966
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17,240
vCash: 50
What's the scouting report for Whitney, I heard Armstrong was looking at him.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
  #967
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,363
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
What's the scouting report for Whitney, I heard Armstrong was looking at him.
Good ability in the transition game due to a good break out pass. Mobility is shot which leads to bad decisions in the D zone. Good teammate and pretty competitive.

Essentially he's your #6 who you use for 2nd PP time and sheltered minutes at ES. His partner must know how to play D.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  #968
Crobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
plus he cant light us up if hes on our team.
..I'm wary of picking up anyone who routinely pads their stats vs us

Crobby is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
  #969
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
WSH laughs at that proposal.
It's Petry not Whitney.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:31 PM
  #970
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It's Petry not Whitney.
Still laughs.
What makes Petry so good?

This?


Turrican* is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:36 PM
  #971
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Still laughs.
What makes Petry so good?

This?

If I saw the powerball was $90,000,000 I'd take a closer look at it too.

tv14 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
  #972
dixs35
Registered User
 
dixs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,454
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
If I saw the powerball was $90,000,000 I'd take a closer look at it too.
well played. hahahaha

dixs35 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
  #973
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Still laughs.
What makes Petry so good?

This?

True, because I often find one play makes a player, just look a Ray Bourque, that guy was such hack, I mean Lemieux just put the puck right through his skates, brutal. Good thing no remembers, or likes that guy

And I'm more then sure you can find imagines of Mike Green having similar issues on the ice. Guys make mistakes, it does actually happen. I mean, remember the Nuge, 18 year old rookie, deking Nik Lidstrom out of his jock, no one thinks less of Lidstrom.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
  #974
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
True, because I often find one play makes a player, just look a Ray Bourque, that guy was such hack, I mean Lemieux just put the puck right through his skates, brutal. Good thing no remembers, or likes that guy

And I'm more then sure you can find imagines of Mike Green having similar issues on the ice. Guys make mistakes, it does actually happen. I mean, remember the Nuge, 18 year old rookie, deking Nik Lidstrom out of his jock, no one thinks less of Lidstrom.
Yes but for the 2 or 3 gaffes that Lidstrom and Bourque make, they also make 100 positive plays to make up for it.

Where are Petry's 10 positive plays?

Turrican* is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:47 PM
  #975
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
why cant PRV play C? he can skate and is good enough defensively, he cant be worse at FO than Gagner or RNH.
I feel the same way 100%.

The whole "well he needs to drive from the wing, that's his game" doesn't even make sense because he never ever scores trying to drive wide on the D.

Soundwave is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.