HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2014, 12:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Sorry that two paragraphs is too long for you. I imagine that I just said "yes" to that question and didn't respond with anything else it would have been more persuasive than to support my argument.
Or instead of one word, you could have used two or three sentences. I guess there is no middle between a single word and 285 words.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Ok good point. I guess all those posts with people talking about Erik Gustafsson in a positive manner are in my head. People really don't talk about him that much, certainly not as much Giroux and Timonen. Yup. It is in my head. Maybe someone can do a search and see which player is talked about the most around here. It's weird, you know, his name is mentioned in a lot of posts a lot of the time. It really seems like it is more than other players. But I am being crazy. That doesn't really happen. You are right because I guess you said so. I retract all prior statements regarding Gus-love. It really doesn't exist. I apologize for even mentioning it.

People talking about a player automatically makes them on the same level of fan affection as the most popular players in the franchise. Yeah, that makes sense.

I bet if we checked jersey sales we would find Gus matches Giroux.

Or maybe, for the millionth time that you will just ignore, YET AGAIN, it's not about Gus, it's about the organization and their endless ability to make questionable decisions.

04-28-2014, 01:05 PM
bauerhockey02

What is there to talk about Giroux? He is 100% the number one center and put up over a point per game in the regular season. There's been some talk about his playoff performance but that is it.

Timonen? Again not much to say as he has his role and there isn't really anyone you can replace him with.

Couturier? Has his role and gets more minutes than any other center not named Giroux. Not much to talk about with him except when other fans ask what it would take to trade for him .

People bring up Gus as he is an option to put on the bottom pairing in order to improve the team. A big complaint of the D is that it isn't mobile enough and Gus would help in that regard. If Laughton had been on the roster all year but was treated the same as Gus then you better believe that he would be talked about just as much. It is a recognition of how the team could be improved. Most seem to even be indifferent over Gus not being here next year as well which wouldn't be the case if he was as loved as Giroux or Couturier.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

This thread has become brain-hurting material...

Old
04-28-2014, 01:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
People talking about a player automatically makes them on the same level of fan affection as the most popular players in the franchise. Yeah, that makes sense.

I bet if we checked jersey sales we would find Gus matches Giroux.

Or maybe, for the millionth time that you will just ignore, YET AGAIN, it's not about Gus, it's about the organization and their endless ability to make questionable decisions.
I'm not talking about who has the best jersey sales my posts have all very clearly stated that he gets a lot of love on these boards.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
I'm not talking about who has the best jersey sales my posts have all very clearly stated that he gets a lot of love on these boards.
Love =/= recognition.

Love =/= simple discussion of team needs and possible solutions.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Love =/= recognition.

Love =/= simple discussion of team needs and possible solutions.
That's true. Nevermind. There really is no such thing as love of a player because really all anyone does around here is have a "simple discussion of team needs and possible solutions" or give "recognition" to players. Yup. I suppose I am not a Homer lover then, correct? I just am giving him recognition and discussing possible solutions to team needs.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
That's true. Nevermind. There really is no such thing as love of a player because really all anyone does around here is have a "simple discussion of team needs and possible solutions" or give "recognition" to players. Yup. I suppose I am not a Homer lover then, correct? I just am giving him recognition and discussing possible solutions to team needs.
Dude.

You claimed that Gus is loved as much as Giroux.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Dude.

You claimed that Gus is loved as much as Giroux.
Yes, and I explained that I didn't mean that he was literally loved in the sense that people want to marry him, or that people think Gus is as good as Giroux, or that people wear his jersey as much. Only that he is loved on HFBoards in the sense that he constantly talked about as either (a) a promising young defenseman; (b) part of, if not the solution to the team's defense; and (c) deserving of more starts, ice time, whatever; and anyone that disagrees is met with vehement opposition. Without touching on whether or not the purported "lovers" are correct or the detractors are correct, the fact is that the guy is the constant subject of high praise across these boards. His name comes up in game threads where he isn't playing (HE SHOULD BE PLAYING). His name comes up in coaching threads (BERUBE IS A FOOL FOR NOT PLAYING HIM). His name comes up in the lineups for ideal defensive pairings (HE SHOULD AT LEAST BE ON THE BOTTOM PAIR). His name comes up when talking about the organizations ability to develop defensemen (LOOK AT GUS, THAT IS PROOF THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH DEFENSEMEN). Pretty much any topic where he can be mentioned, he is mentioned and he is talked about in a very high regard and if not, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. That is pretty much about as much love as a player can get on internet discussion boards.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:51 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Yes, and I explained that I didn't mean that he was literally loved in the sense that people want to marry him, or that people think Gus is as good as Giroux, or that people wear his jersey as much. Only that he is loved on HFBoards in the sense that he constantly talked about as either (a) a promising young defenseman; (b) part of, if not the solution to the team's defense; and (c) deserving of more starts, ice time, whatever; and anyone that disagrees is met with vehement opposition. Without touching on whether or not the purported "lovers" are correct or the detractors are correct, the fact is that the guy is the constant subject of high praise across these boards. His name comes up in game threads where he isn't playing (HE SHOULD BE PLAYING). His name comes up in coaching threads (BERUBE IS A FOOL FOR NOT PLAYING HIM). His name comes up in the lineups for ideal defensive pairings (HE SHOULD AT LEAST BE ON THE BOTTOM PAIR). His name comes up when talking about the organizations ability to develop defensemen (LOOK AT GUS, THAT IS PROOF THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH DEFENSEMEN). Pretty much any topic where he can be mentioned, he is mentioned and he is talked about in a very high regard and if not, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. That is pretty much about as much love as a player can get on internet discussion boards.
And if Laughton isn't played in the next game a similar thing will happen with him. Likewise, if Ghost was eligible to play then people would more than likely be calling for him to play as he is a mobile defensemen and a big complaint is that the Flyers don't have a mobile backend. Gus is the only player to fit that right now so he is brought up as a solution. Meanwhile, most don't care too much that Gus will likely be let go after this year.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Nobody wants to literally marry Giroux here either. Sorry, you're so far off base it's incomprehensible. All you've shown here is that nothing you say about Gus should be heeded, if you're so far out of touch that you think he's on Giroux levels of fan appreciation.

Old
04-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Harold Bingo
what

What kind of superhero would you guys say Gustafsson is?

Old
04-28-2014, 02:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Nobody wants to literally marry Giroux here either. Sorry, you're so far off base it's incomprehensible. All you've shown here is that nothing you say about Gus should be heeded, if you're so far out of touch that you think he's on Giroux levels of fan appreciation.
Lol, I don't think I've ever said a negative thing about Gus in his entire tenure with the Flyers other than I didn't think he earned the spot coming into training camp this year or last year, or that I think he is overrated, or that younger players are and should be a shorter leash (which really isn't negative, in my book, not necessarily positive, but not really negative). I'm not even saying anything negative right now. I thought he should have played over Gill. I stated repeatedly that I would have had no problem going in for Grossmann before the season ended. All I said was that I thought the spot going into camp was Mez's to lose and if he loses it, play Gus. Which is why it really seems like there is a sincere love for Gus around here, when even the lightest of criticism or mentioning that there is a lot of love for a particular player, is met with such opposition. But again, I have already conceded that I was very wrong to suggest such a thing, and it is clear that I am just crazy and there really is no more love for Gus than any other player on the team.

Old
04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Lol, I don't think I've ever said a negative thing about Gus in his entire tenure with the Flyers other than I didn't think he earned the spot coming into training camp this year or last year, or that I think he is overrated, or that younger players are and should be a shorter leash (which really isn't negative, in my book, not necessarily positive, but not really negative). I'm not even saying anything negative right now. I thought he should have played over Gill. I stated repeatedly that I would have had no problem going in for Grossmann before the season ended. All I said was that I thought the spot going into camp was Mez's to lose and if he loses it, play Gus. Which is why it really seems like there is a sincere love for Gus around here, when even the lightest of criticism or mentioning that there is a lot of love for a particular player, is met with such opposition. But again, I have already conceded that I was very wrong to suggest such a thing, and it is clear that I am just crazy and there really is no more love for Gus than any other player on the team.
Oh, and all your hyperbole mocking people who think Gus should be playing over someone like Grossmann or Gill? What about all of that?

That sure looks incredibly foolish now that you've shown you believe Gus is on Giroux's level of fan appreciation. You couldn't have possibly misread the situation more.

Old
04-28-2014, 02:13 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Which is why it really seems like there is a sincere love for Gus around here, when even the lightest of criticism or mentioning that there is a lot of love for a particular player, is met with such opposition.
Except once Ghost signed pretty much everyone was asking about his eligibility to play and wanted him over Gus. That only died down with the realization that he wasn't eligible because his contract doesn't actually start until next year and he is on a tryout contract right now. Otherwise, as soon as Grossman went down, and maybe even before then, people would have been calling for Ghost over Gus. That wouldn't happen if there was a "sincere love for Gus" and people also wouldn't be okay with Gus leaving after this year if there was that sincere love as well. There is just a want by many for a mobile backend.

Old
04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Why would anyone offer sheet him? I like Gus, but people definitely overrate him. He was given opportunities this year and didn't seize them. He should have been in over Gill though.
Holmgren signed Bruno Gervais once, and Michael Leighton twice. Gustafsson will find work.

Old
04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Oh, and all your hyperbole mocking people who think Gus should be playing over someone like Grossmann or Gill? What about all of that?
When did I do that? I recall being very clear that I would play Gus over both of them. I mocked people prior to training camp making the argument that Gus should play over Mez based on the 60 games that Gus had played up to that point. Absolutely. I'd do it again too. But I also said if Gus earns it in camp or if Mez falters once the season starts to go ahead and bench away. And when things went south and Mez got benched, I didn't say a peep. Why? Because I had no problem with it. Similarly, when Gus then got hurt and Mez came back in and was putting up a PPG, I didn't want Mez benched because he was putting up good numbers, which was met with much opposition because many felt Gus earned that spot in his two weeks of starting. Even at that time I wasn't saying Gus sucked or anything negative, only that you have a guy that was playing red-hot and he shouldn't be benched at that time. I wasn't arguing then nor am I arguing now that the spot was to be his the rest of the season. I have no problem with Gus starting tomorrow, and would have had no problem with him starting yesterday. I even said prior to the season starting that I wanted to trade Mez and roll with Gus. Never did I argue the opposite. The only "damning" things I have said about Gus is that people here love him and he is overrated or that in the beginning of the season Mez should be higher than Gus on depth chart. I've got nothing against Gus. I think he's a fine 5/6 defenseman. But going into the season I would have put Grossmann and Mez over him in the depth chart.

Quote:
That sure looks incredibly foolish now that you've shown you believe Gus is on Giroux's level of fan appreciation. You couldn't have possibly misread the situation more.
Except I misread nothing. I was fine with pretty much any decision made with Gus playing, except putting him ahead of Mez going into the season.

Old
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
When did I do that? I recall being very clear that I would play Gus over both of them. I mocked people prior to training camp making the argument that Gus should play over Mez based on the 60 games that Gus had played up to that point. Absolutely. I'd do it again too. But I also said if Gus earns it in camp or if Mez falters once the season starts to go ahead and bench away. And when things went south and Mez got benched, I didn't say a peep. Why? Because I had no problem with it. Similarly, when Gus then got hurt and Mez came back in and was putting up a PPG, I didn't want Mez benched because he was putting up good numbers, which was met with much opposition because many felt Gus earned that spot in his two weeks of starting. Even at that time I wasn't saying Gus sucked or anything negative, only that you have a guy that was playing red-hot and he shouldn't be benched at that time. I wasn't arguing then nor am I arguing now that the spot was to be his the rest of the season. I have no problem with Gus starting tomorrow, and would have had no problem with him starting yesterday. I even said prior to the season starting that I wanted to trade Mez and roll with Gus. Never did I argue the opposite. The only "damning" things I have said about Gus is that people here love him and he is overrated or that in the beginning of the season Mez should be higher than Gus on depth chart. I've got nothing against Gus. I think he's a fine 5/6 defenseman. But going into the season I would have put Grossmann and Mez over him in the depth chart.

Except I misread nothing. I was fine with pretty much any decision made with Gus playing, except putting him ahead of Mez going into the season.
You constantly pulled out a bunch of strawman hyperbole about how we all thought he was an all-time great Dman.

Quote:
(now...post some links to some CORSI stats that show he is the best defenseman in the NHL)
Because you clearly lacked a fundamental understanding about how he was viewed by people here.

Old
04-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Curufinwe

You have the patience of a saint, Beef.

Old
04-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Not right now, but when that $8 mil a year contract kicks in I might think about it.

Old
04-28-2014, 03:56 PM
flyers0909

Quote:
The 25-year-old Swede played just 31 games this season and frankly took a step backwards in his overall development, not displaying the kind of confidence or consistency he should with the puck.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...l-noncommittal

Panaccio

Old
04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers0909 View Post
He wrote an article the other day which stated the first line of 'Hartnell-Giroux-Simmonds' had been poor this series...

Old
04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
You constantly pulled out a bunch of strawman hyperbole about how we all thought he was an all-time great Dman.

Because you clearly lacked a fundamental understanding about how he was viewed by people here.
To what question or argument was I responding? I know I said that, but was I responding to someone saying that Gus should start over Grossmann or Gill, or was I saying that Mez shouldn't be benched in the midst of his hot streak or that Mez should be higher on the depth chart to start the season or something along those lines?

Btw...you know what hyperbole is (or I assume you do since you are using that word), so you know that I don't really think anyone was calling Gus the best defensemen in the league, only that he is overrated around here, a sentiment which I stand by, right?

Old
04-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Of COURSE you think he's overrated. You think the fanbase here adores him as much as they do Giroux. You're incredibly wrong on both counts.

Old
04-28-2014, 04:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
This one always gets me. If players go on to have success elsewhere, but couldn't do it here, isn't that an indictment on the organization?
Yes, absolutely. Doesn't matter how wonderful or terrible the player was here. They don't get a pass for Maroon being a productive player in Anaheim, and us having Kris Newbury to show for it, despite there being an untenable situation.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
Closed Thread