HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2014, 09:51 PM
  #401
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,732
vCash: 500
I have a bad feeling Gus leaves after this season and turns into another Dennis seidenberg type

BringBackStevens is online now  
Old
04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
  #402
bauerhockey02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't want to get in the middle of this discussion, but I've been a Gus advocate all season so I figure I could chime in.

Personally, I don't know if I'd say he earned a spot or not, it's not really about that. I want him in because he's the player we need right now since he's been better than Grossmann and he is the type of player we need to stop some of the recurring problems we're having defensively (getting stuck in the zone specifically). He adds an element we need, it's that simple. I don't recall ever arguing about Gus with you, but if you did argue against putting him in because he hasn't "earned it" I'd say you're missing the point. First, you don't always have to earn your way into the lineup, you just have to make the team better and he does that. And second, just getting rid of Grossmann or Gill would be an improvement, and this has been 90% of the reason I want Gus in anyway... just to get them out. If there was someone else on the team with even a slight chance of coming in to play right now (Alt, Hagg, Ghost) I'd pick them over Gus for sure.

I'm just saying I think one of the things that you and the people you argue with don't see eye to eye on is the motivation of why people want him in. Basically, it's not Gus vs Grossmann it's the possible replacement vs Grossmann and Gus just happens to be the most likely replacement.
This. This is what I have been trying to say tonight. But I guess I didn't explain it well and made a mistake trying to get in the middle of the discussion tonight.

bauerhockey02 is offline  
Old
04-28-2014, 10:05 PM
  #403
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But the difference is that people bring up Ghost, it gets discussed, there is rational discussion on both sides, and it passes without a lot of notice. Gus has been consistently brought up basically since he showed up in Philly, and if someone says something like, oh I don't know, he doesn't deserve to be given the spot after 30 NHL games and that he has not earned a starting job yet, it is met with forceful opposition and ridiculous discussions like the one that is taking place right now. If that happened with Ghost or Laughton or another player, then I would see your point. But it doesn't. Most people are on the same page regarding the likes of Ghost and Laughton and if someone disagrees in some way (either saying one is not ready or needs to gain size or whatever), it is usually a pretty simple discussion that comes and goes. Make a comment about Gus? Watch out. Case and point...this ****ing discussion.
I haven't been here most of the season, but I think this ****ing discussion exists because you are wildly exaggerating.

You are conflating a preference for Gus over other options with "love" for him. This supposed "love" for Gus is really less about love for him and more about being fed up seeing the same players fail at their jobs. There is a frustrating preference for 'proven' players even if they are proven to be bad at what they do rather than give someone inexperienced who may have a bit of upside a chance. Fans would simply rather see a younger player been given a shot over the player that has proven to struggle at their jobs. Not to mention he has a skill set the Flyers are lacking. It has nothing to do with Gus being a fan favorite or people thinking he is some kind of savior as you been attempting to imply - very poorly might I add.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
04-28-2014, 10:14 PM
  #404
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I have a bad feeling Gus leaves after this season and turns into another Dennis seidenberg type
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's playing overseas next year. He'll be turning 26 soon & will have to likely take a paycut (he made $1M this year) to essentially play the 6/7 role with another team. Of course that's assuming teams will be calling him for his services.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
04-28-2014, 10:25 PM
  #405
EdmFlyersfan
Registered User
 
EdmFlyersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Snider said it best earlier today on Gusta...

"Because he's the blueliner that Philly deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll add him to Game 6... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Orange Knight..."

EdmFlyersfan is offline  
Old
04-28-2014, 10:40 PM
  #406
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmFlyersfan View Post
Snider said it best earlier today on Gusta...

"Because he's the blueliner that Philly deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll add him to Game 6... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Orange Knight..."
*an Orange Knight

Sorry...that was bothering the **** out of me.

Excuse my grammar NAZI impulses.

CS is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 07:23 AM
  #407
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I have a bad feeling Gus leaves after this season and turns into another Dennis seidenberg type
If he had Seidenberg's size and strength he'd be playing right now.

Curufinwe is online now  
Old
04-29-2014, 07:40 AM
  #408
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't want to get in the middle of this discussion, but I've been a Gus advocate all season so I figure I could chime in.

Personally, I don't know if I'd say he earned a spot or not, it's not really about that. I want him in because he's the player we need right now since he's been better than Grossmann and he is the type of player we need to stop some of the recurring problems we're having defensively (getting stuck in the zone specifically). He adds an element we need, it's that simple. I don't recall ever arguing about Gus with you, but if you did argue against putting him in because he hasn't "earned it" I'd say you're missing the point. First, you don't always have to earn your way into the lineup, you just have to make the team better and he does that. And second, just getting rid of Grossmann or Gill would be an improvement, and this has been 90% of the reason I want Gus in anyway... just to get them out. If there was someone else on the team with even a slight chance of coming in to play right now (Alt, Hagg, Ghost) I'd pick them over Gus for sure.

I'm just saying I think one of the things that you and the people you argue with don't see eye to eye on is the motivation of why people want him in. Basically, it's not Gus vs Grossmann it's the possible replacement vs Grossmann and Gus just happens to be the most likely replacement.
I'm not even arguing against Gus at this point. I really haven't been all season. I said prior to the season starting that Mez should be the starter, unless Gus outplays him in camp or Mez falters out of the gate. My reasoning was that I thought Mez would bounce back and I didn't think Gus's 60 games cemented him ahead of Mez on the depth chart. Pretty simple, reasonable, logical argument. This was met with great opposition about how Gus has earned it based on less than a full season of games spread out over the course of three NHL seasons, and Mez lost his because last year he played poorly for 11 games and got injured. Later on in the season when Gus got hurt and Mez was inserted back into the lineup, Mez went on a tear. In the midst of this tear I said they should wait until he cools off to put Gus back in. Also met with forceful opposition because that was now Gus's spot. Other than that, I have been pretty clear that I was in favor of benching Grossmann for Gus and that I was in favor of Gus over Gill in the last game.

The only argument going on here is for some reason people are acting like Gus isn't loved around here, which is patently absurd. If I was constantly talking about how Mark Alt should be in the NHL and starting for the Flyers, every chance I got to mention Mark Alt I mentioned him and argued for him to be in the lineup...you don't think people would maybe consider that "love" for Mark Alt?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 07:44 AM
  #409
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I haven't been here most of the season, but I think this ****ing discussion exists because you are wildly exaggerating.

You are conflating a preference for Gus over other options with "love" for him. This supposed "love" for Gus is really less about love for him and more about being fed up seeing the same players fail at their jobs. There is a frustrating preference for 'proven' players even if they are proven to be bad at what they do rather than give someone inexperienced who may have a bit of upside a chance. Fans would simply rather see a younger player been given a shot over the player that has proven to struggle at their jobs. Not to mention he has a skill set the Flyers are lacking. It has nothing to do with Gus being a fan favorite or people thinking he is some kind of savior as you been attempting to imply - very poorly might I add.
Like I said from the beginning, regardless of the reasoning behind the "love" for Gus. Regardless of whether or not it is warranted. It ****ing exists. If it didn't, his name wouldn't be constantly brought up as things like part of the solution tot he defense, condemnation of the organization for failing to develop, people saying that he is going to leave and become a much better player, Berube should be fired for not starting him, and so forth and so on. Maybe those supporting the love are 100% correct. Maybe they are 100% wrong. But it is still there.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 07:54 AM
  #410
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If he had Seidenberg's size and strength he'd be playing right now.
I didnt mean so much in style, but more so a later bloomer who wasn't able to land a steady full time spot until after playing as a 6/7/8 for the beginning of his career.

Seidenberg finally latched on when he was 27/28 and turned himself into a great 2nd pairing player on an elite team.

First and foremost, Gus looks like he has the smarts to play as an NHL defensemen. Whether he's just a 3rd pairing guy or if he can eventually becoming a second pairing player, who knows. But either way the Flyers did both him and theirselves a disservice by not accelerating that process this season when there was a clear opportunity for him to play and start getting the lumps out of his game.

BringBackStevens is online now  
Old
04-29-2014, 07:56 AM
  #411
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 12,525
vCash: 50
Meszaros has been bad defensively since March 2012. You actively ignored that.

Curufinwe is online now  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:02 AM
  #412
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Like I said from the beginning, regardless of the reasoning behind the "love" for Gus. Regardless of whether or not it is warranted. It ****ing exists. If it didn't, his name wouldn't be constantly brought up as things like part of the solution tot he defense, condemnation of the organization for failing to develop, people saying that he is going to leave and become a much better player, Berube should be fired for not starting him, and so forth and so on. Maybe those supporting the love are 100% correct. Maybe they are 100% wrong. But it is still there.
Call it love, call it whatever you want, that part of the discussion is a waste of time and meaningless.

The point is the kid should have been in the lineup this season, period. He performed well enough and showed enough upside that he should have been working on his game and still contributing during the regular season instead of lame ducks like Grossmann and especially Mezsaros.

The situation we are in now was forseeable back in December/January when the kid was riding the pine. Now we need to play from our bench (we should have been even before Grossmann got injured), and our coach evidently doesn't trust Gus with his limited experiene. Well maybe they should have considered that back months ago when they had a chance to change that.

Instead we got straddled with Gill who at this point is not only not contributing to winning but an active liablity on the ice. It's not far fetched to say that Gill contributed to a 3 goal swing last game in his total offensive ineptitude when presented with a glorious scoring opportunity only to flub it and have the play go the other way and in end up in our net. And of course the pass in his skates, which while a bad position to be put in, an NHL defensemen finds his way out of that every time.

How anyone can defend this Gill situation is beyond me. We are playing a 40 year old slug who played 3 games ALL SEASON in must win playoff games.

BringBackStevens is online now  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:08 AM
  #413
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Meszaros has been bad defensively since March 2012. You actively ignored that.
I really didn't. I don't think I ever said the guy was a defensive stalwart. I was saying he's got the offensive chops and prior to the injuries he was still a good option to run out there. My opinion was that a 27 or 28 year old (or however old he was to start the season) could possibly come back and at least get close to his form of 2012, in which he put up some good numbers, including a +6 for the season, which I know doesn't hold a lot of weight, but at least shows that he isn't awful like many would have you think.

Similarly, I looked at Gus and saw 60 NHL games. Of those 60 NHL, they weren't all gems. Some were good. Some were bad. Some were just ok. To me, that is not enough to unseat a guy with 500+ NHL games because he looked bad in 11 games coming off an injury. Perhaps that is enough for you, but I'm just not comfortable with that. Which is why I said it is Mez's spot to lose. If he loses it in camp...great. If he falters out of the gate...great. But I wouldn't just say, "well Gus looked decent overall in 60 games, and he is two years younger, let's give it to him because this other guy didn't look good in his last 11 games coming off an injury."

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:10 AM
  #414
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Call it love, call it whatever you want, that part of the discussion is a waste of time and meaningless.

The point is the kid should have been in the lineup this season, period. He performed well enough and showed enough upside that he should have been working on his game and still contributing during the regular season instead of lame ducks like Grossmann and especially Mezsaros.

The situation we are in now was forseeable back in December/January when the kid was riding the pine. Now we need to play from our bench (we should have been even before Grossmann got injured), and our coach evidently doesn't trust Gus with his limited experiene. Well maybe they should have considered that back months ago when they had a chance to change that.

Instead we got straddled with Gill who at this point is not only not contributing to winning but an active liablity on the ice. It's not far fetched to say that Gill contributed to a 3 goal swing last game in his total offensive ineptitude when presented with a glorious scoring opportunity only to flub it and have the play go the other way and in end up in our net. And of course the pass in his skates, which while a bad position to be put in, an NHL defensemen finds his way out of that every time.

How anyone can defend this Gill situation is beyond me. We are playing a 40 year old slug who played 3 games ALL SEASON in must win playoff games.
First of all, no one is defending Gill (at least I am not). Second of all, I agree that this discussion is a waste of time...which is why it is so mind boggling that people even bothered to engage in this discussion and pretend like the love doesn't exist.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:14 AM
  #415
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
First of all, no one is defending Gill (at least I am not). Second of all, I agree that this discussion is a waste of time...which is why it is so mind boggling that people even bothered to engage in this discussion and pretend like the love doesn't exist.
You're using the word love when it isn't appropriate, but of course you won't admit that. And before you start, I know you don't mean love as defined by the dictionary but the word just doesn't apply. If you said he's more talked about then most others on the team no one would say a word other then to perhaps explain why they think that is.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:21 AM
  #416
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
You're using the word love when it isn't appropriate, but of course you won't admit that. And before you start, I know you don't mean love as defined by the dictionary but the word just doesn't apply. If you said he's more talked about then most others on the team no one would say a word other then to perhaps explain why they think that is.
So you are telling me that my using the word love in this context is wrong? I am pretty sure I have heard it used on a regular basis around here (similar to the word hate when a guy is constantly talked about in a negative context). If I am using that word wrong then I apologize, but I better see everyone else get called out in the future for use of the words love and hate, because they certainly are tossed around on the internet on a regular basis to describe the exact scenario going on here.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:22 AM
  #417
Striiker
Non-factor
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not even arguing against Gus at this point. I really haven't been all season. I said prior to the season starting that Mez should be the starter, unless Gus outplays him in camp or Mez falters out of the gate. My reasoning was that I thought Mez would bounce back and I didn't think Gus's 60 games cemented him ahead of Mez on the depth chart. Pretty simple, reasonable, logical argument. This was met with great opposition about how Gus has earned it based on less than a full season of games spread out over the course of three NHL seasons, and Mez lost his because last year he played poorly for 11 games and got injured. Later on in the season when Gus got hurt and Mez was inserted back into the lineup, Mez went on a tear. In the midst of this tear I said they should wait until he cools off to put Gus back in. Also met with forceful opposition because that was now Gus's spot. Other than that, I have been pretty clear that I was in favor of benching Grossmann for Gus and that I was in favor of Gus over Gill in the last game.

The only argument going on here is for some reason people are acting like Gus isn't loved around here, which is patently absurd. If I was constantly talking about how Mark Alt should be in the NHL and starting for the Flyers, every chance I got to mention Mark Alt I mentioned him and argued for him to be in the lineup...you don't think people would maybe consider that "love" for Mark Alt?
OK well I wasn't a part of or around for what you're talking about in the beginning of that paragraph. I can't speak for anyone else, but I never cared who was in as long as we had the best possible lineup, if it was Grossmann, Mez, or Gus I didn't care, as long as we had the best chance to win.

As for the Gus is loved argument... I still don't really agree with that. I'd say that what people love is the thought of a replacement player to get rid of Grossmann now and Mez before. Gus just happened to be the possible replacement so he's the one who received the "love". I don't think anyone here is actually obsessed with Gus, but instead the idea of him saving us from our worse Dmen. If it was Alt there or Hagg or Ghost, then they'd be the one who you're seeing as being "loved" and I'd bet almost everyone would forget about Gus. As long as we have Grossmann or Mez or another horrible Dman in our lineup you're always going to see people obsessing over the 7th dman as long as we feel that person is better than the person we want to replace.

Basically, the difference between your hypothetical love for Alt vs the perceived love for Gus is that Gus has a chance to come in, Alt doesn't. If Gus disappeared and Alt took his place all the Gus "love" would shift to him immediately.

At least that's how I see it, if anyone else want's to correct me go ahead. I'm not trying to speak for anyone, just saying what I thought.

Striiker is online now  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:24 AM
  #418
south jersey flyer
Registered User
 
south jersey flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Okay, I guess I'm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Like I said from the beginning, regardless of the reasoning behind the "love" for Gus. Regardless of whether or not it is warranted. It ****ing exists. If it didn't, his name wouldn't be constantly brought up as things like part of the solution tot he defense, condemnation of the organization for failing to develop, people saying that he is going to leave and become a much better player, Berube should be fired for not starting him, and so forth and so on. Maybe those supporting the love are 100% correct. Maybe they are 100% wrong. But it is still there.
I think people are confused with your use of the word love. Do you mean people love Gustafsson or people are intrigued by Gustafsson?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Like I said from the beginning, regardless of the reasoning behind the "love" for Gus. Regardless of whether or not it is warranted. It ****ing exists. If it didn't, his name wouldn't be constantly brought up as things like part of the solution tot he defense, condemnation of the organization for failing to develop, people saying that he is going to leave and become a much better player, Berube should be fired for not starting him, and so forth and so on. Maybe those supporting the love are 100% correct. Maybe they are 100% wrong. But it is still there.
I think people bring up Gustafsson as a player that represents the organization's lack of patience with young defensemen. Seidenberg goes on to succeed with the Bruins. Pitkanen goes on to succeed with the Hurricanes. Now the Flyers have Gustafsson, who admittedly isn't as good as those two, but provides an improvement on players like Grossmann or Meszaros. He was also overlooked when they acquired Andrew MacDonald. Gustafsson was a cheap option who actually jelled with Luke Schenn, yet Berube and/or Holmgren didn't persist with him. They were unwilling to stomach his growing pains, which are to be expected with young players and a necessary part of their development. Instead of sticking with him for the season and letting him develop, Holmgren gives up a valuable asset to acquire MacDonald who then signed a 5 year/$30 million deal. MacDonald has been good so far, but is he worth that much more than Gustafsson? In a salary capped league, teams need to take a chance on young guys, like Gustafsson, so that they can have cap room to buy a big name who could put them into Cup contention, and that is an indictment of the organization. Despite all of this, it does not mean any of us love Gustafsson. It just means we are intrigued by what he could have accomplished and that we are upset he was never given a proper chance when he showed he was a viable alternative.

south jersey flyer is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
  #419
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So you are telling me that my using the word love in this context is wrong? I am pretty sure I have heard it used on a regular basis around here (similar to the word hate when a guy is constantly talked about in a negative context). If I am using that word wrong then I apologize, but I better see everyone else get called out in the future for use of the words love and hate, because they certainly are tossed around on the internet on a regular basis to describe the exact scenario going on here.
I can't think of any situations off the top of my head in which love and hate have been used incorrectly on here at least not with any degree of significance. Hate is defined as a "feeling of intense or passionate dislike for someone" so more often then not when it's used, it's appropriate (saying I hate Neal for example). I've seen people say they love Giroux or that a coach loves player X and in that sense it means they like that player. While that's not the dictionary definition of love it's how it's often used but that still doesn't apply to this board and Gus. It's not about liking him as a player, it's about recognizing that he could help the team based on what he brings to the table vs the other options (liking him as an option when compared to other options). The word love just doesn't work.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:40 AM
  #420
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I can't think of any situations off the top of my head in which love and hate have been used incorrectly on here at least not with any degree of significance. Hate is defined as a "feeling of intense or passionate dislike for someone" so more often then not when it's used, it's appropriate (saying I hate Neal for example). I've seen people say they love Giroux or that a coach loves player X and in that sense it means they like that player. While that's not the dictionary definition of love it's how it's often used but that still doesn't apply to this board and Gus. It's not about liking him as a player, it's about recognizing that he could help the team based on what he brings to the table vs the other options (liking him as an option when compared to other options). The word love just doesn't work.
How about "showing love" or perhaps infatuation or obsession? Do those words work? I just don't want to confuse anyone.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:43 AM
  #421
south jersey flyer
Registered User
 
south jersey flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How about "showing love" or perhaps infatuation or obsession? Do those words work? I just don't want to confuse anyone.
This word works if you're talking about the fans' recognition of the Flyers' lack of commitment to developing defensemen using Gustafsson as a case in point. I am guilty of being obsessed with that.

south jersey flyer is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
  #422
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How about "showing love" or perhaps infatuation or obsession? Do those words work? I just don't want to confuse anyone.
How does obsession or infatuation or even "showing love" apply?

Why is it difficult to just say this board in general likes Gus for the Flyers #6 spot compared to the other options? Sure it's not a single word but you don't seem to have a problem writing.

Btw "for the Flyers #6 spot compared to the other options" is key in that phrase. It changes the whole meaning without it.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 09:04 AM
  #423
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
How does obsession or infatuation or even "showing love" apply?

Why is it difficult to just say this board in general likes Gus for the Flyers #6 spot compared to the other options? Sure it's not a single word but you don't seem to have a problem writing.

Btw "for the Flyers #6 spot compared to the other options" is key in that phrase. It changes the whole meaning without it.
Showing love, at least as I understand it, pretty much just means praise. If I said Sean Couturier played well defensively, then I have "shown some love" to Sean Couturier. To me, there appears to be a lot of love shown toward Erik Gustafsson. Is that better? Using that definition of the phrase "showing love" in this context? That is the general point I was making with a simple joke I made that snowballed out of control. Someone didn't like that I wrote "beloved" on a fake tombstone. Then someone didn't like that I said people loved him. Perhaps the tombstone should have said "Gets Shown Lots of Love on HFBoards" and people would have thought it was funny. I truly apologize for confusing and infuriating so many people.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
  #424
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 35,489
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I have a bad feeling Gus leaves after this season and turns into another Dennis seidenberg type
would not shock me at all. But I guess the Holmgren supporters would file that under hindsight since it didn't work out for the Flyers.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-29-2014, 01:09 PM
  #425
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
would not shock me at all. But I guess the Holmgren supporters would file that under hindsight since it didn't work out for the Flyers.
I don't want Gus to leave, although I have a feeling he will, as well. But you can't just hold on to everyone for fear of them turning into exceptional players. Gus certainly hasn't showed me anything that would suggest he will come close to Seidenberg, but he has shown he could be quite good. But he's not very consistent, and while that is to be expected, it's hard to make a fair judgement and it's also hard to justify the position that he's only consistent because he doesn't get enough playtime. We don't know that, and most of the players never resolve consistency issue. So you can't look at his best games and assume that's what he'd look like day in day out if he played on a more consistent basis.

Again, I hope we hold on to him, since I do like the guy, but right now I don't see an overwhelming reason for despair if he gets away.

Ryker is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.