HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookie of the year.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Making the playoffs doesn't enter into the equation.

With Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby entering the NHL at the same time, any hope for other teams Calders will be in net or on defense.
and if we are relying on Defense ..then I get the feeling that Vorobiev will have more then his handsful with likes of Dion Phaneuf ..

Personally I find it hard to even type Vorobiev in any sentance that refers to Rookie of the year, unless it is refering to Leafs team only ..

Old
03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
No, a rookie actually has a better chance for ROTY on a bad team because he will get more ice time and have better statistics.
You realize right that Washington (Ovechkin) and Pittsburgh (Malkin) picked #1 and #2 in the draft meaning they are among the worst teams in the NHL ??.

and that the NHL is set up so that the TOP ranked prospects are drafted by the teams that finish in the bottom of the standings ..

Here are the Award winners in the past .. and often they are not from the worst teams in fact ..

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/awards/awarddetail.php3?award_id=17

Last edited by Mess: 03-26-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old
03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
mattihp

vCash: 55
The reason to why the leafs have had problems to put in a rookie of the year is because they've been busy trying to win the cup, which they've made big efforts at every year. So big that they tend to overlook the team's future needs, which causes huge overpayments in the future to get new faces to lift the team.

But Toronto fans should be glad and proud that the management wants to win. But perhaps their methods should be changed abit.

Some young hungry players out with great veterans should make a cup winner, and the leafs will get there, at least twice before 2015 ^^

Old
03-26-2005, 12:27 PM
TrueBlue

I think the last time we even had a nomination for rookie of the year was Wendel Clark, 20 some odd years ago.

Old
03-26-2005, 12:40 PM
tomerez

Mike Johnson got served when he got screwed out of nomination in 97-98.

.. But its not like the Leafs were going to win a Cup that year regardless

Old
03-26-2005, 12:53 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
The reason to why the leafs have had problems to put in a rookie of the year is because they've been busy trying to win the cup, which they've made big efforts at every year. So big that they tend to overlook the team's future needs, which causes huge overpayments in the future to get new faces to lift the team.

But Toronto fans should be glad and proud that the management wants to win. But perhaps their methods should be changed abit.

Some young hungry players out with great veterans should make a cup winner, and the leafs will get there, at least twice before 2015 ^^

The management team of the last 6 or 7 years does want to win. This is a big change from previous years.

And we are glad that this new management team does want to win, however, we haven't...yet. So while we don't win one, we are giving up an awful lot. And we all know that what you give up now can come back to bite in the arse some years later...many years later.

I give you the example of Scott Neidermayer. We could have had him but traded our pick for Tom Kurvers. Kurvers peformed ok for us but not nearly what Scotty has done for the Devils. And not only has Scotty gotten past the Leafs to win the 3 Cups, this year he won the Norris. I wonder how different the Leafs team would be had we kept Scotty?

His example should be a lesson on how bad it can get when you make bad decisions.
And the scary part is, Scott Neidermayer is just one example. There are many many others.

Old
03-26-2005, 12:55 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerez
Mike Johnson got served when he got screwed out of nomination in 97-98.

.. But its not like the Leafs were going to win a Cup that year regardless

Yeah I felt he should have been nominated. I still believe in Mike and is one my favourite players. I still think he will do something special one day. Maybe on the ice or off the ice in a management position. But we'll be hearing his name awful lot.

Old
03-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Leaf the Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Hmmm, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin making 850K in the NHL, or would they opt to go the the RSL and make double that?

Maybe the Calder will be an open race.
I think what you fail to recognize is the amount of endorsement money available in North America in comparison to places like Russia. In addition to that, we're only talking about only the entrance contract. If they could stomach that, better times are to come.

Old
03-26-2005, 06:27 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf the Lucky
I think what you fail to recognize is the amount of endorsement money available in North America in comparison to places like Russia. In addition to that, we're only talking about only the entrance contract. If they could stomach that, better times are to come.
We'll considering Ovechkin and Malkin are both from over there and that in 4 years (NHL owners proposal) of rookie restrictions they could make about 4 million with bonuses, while they could make double that in Russia, with a much lower tax rate, those endorsements will have to be huge. How many are going to get those in NA?

Don't forget with the arbitration rules the owners want these rookies still won't make huge contracts even in year 6 of their careers. After 7 or 8 years they might make what they can make in Russia.

Simple rule of business is that 2 million a year today is worth much more than 2 million a year in 5 years.

Old
03-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
It's ironic that the last time we produced a rookie of the year, is also roughly the last time we won a cup.
rookie of the year award is a curse. in our case it cursed toronto
lets look at other winners

1997 Bryan Berard : the eye injury
2002 Dany Heatley : no reason needed
2003 Barret Jackman : missed all last season due to injury
2004 Andrew Raycroft (G) : apparently not any good in the europe

Old
03-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf the Lucky
There are age limits on entry level contracts to the best of my Knowledge .. so a drafted player particularly a Euro could stay at home make $$ money and then come over the the NHL at say 24 or 25 whatever the limit is and sign for as much as he can get ..

Old
03-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Leaf the Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
There are age limits on entry level contracts to the best of my Knowledge .. so a drafted player particularly a Euro could stay at home make $$ money and then come over the the NHL at say 24 or 25 whatever the limit is and sign for as much as he can get ..
In which case I guess it would make sense then.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:06 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
rookie of the year award is a curse. in our case it cursed toronto
lets look at other winners

1997 Bryan Berard : the eye injury
2002 Dany Heatley : no reason needed
2003 Barret Jackman : missed all last season due to injury
2004 Andrew Raycroft (G) : apparently not any good in the europe

As Leaf fans we know all about curses. Hopefully Larry Tannenbaum is working on how to break this curse. I think Larry can do it.

Old
03-27-2005, 08:16 AM
tomerez

Quote:
As Leaf fans we know all about curses. Hopefully Larry Tannenbaum is working on how to break this curse. I think Larry can do it.
I don't know if the Leafs are "cursed", to be cursed I think there has to be a certain degree of "supernatural" or coincidental occurences that prevent your team from winning. In the case of the Leafs, I think for the most part its been that we simply have not iced the best team in the league.

Closest thing to a curse I can think of is the incident where Kerry Fraser did not call Gretzky sticking Gilmour in '92 and Gretzky scoring in OT while he should have been in the box.

But then again, I'm young and ignorant of the full history of the Leafs, no matter the amount of my life I've dedicated to them.

Old
03-27-2005, 08:37 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerez
I don't know if the Leafs are "cursed", to be cursed I think there has to be a certain degree of "supernatural" or coincidental occurences that prevent your team from winning. In the case of the Leafs, I think for the most part its been that we simply have not iced the best team in the league.

Closest thing to a curse I can think of is the incident where Kerry Fraser did not call Gretzky sticking Gilmour in '92 and Gretzky scoring in OT while he should have been in the box.

But then again, I'm young and ignorant of the full history of the Leafs, no matter the amount of my life I've dedicated to them.

I don't think anyone will forget that incident involving Gretzky and Gilmour. Did you know that just last year Kerry apologized for missing that call. He acknowledged his mistake and said he was sorry. What the heck is sorry good now?

He even went on to say that his father was receiving threats where he lived.

Then there's that Bill Barilko story. If you don't know, in short it goes something like this:

Bill Barilko scored arguably the most famous goal in Maple Leaf history in Game Five of the 1951 Stanley Cup Final. This overtime marker against Montreal's Gerry McNeil clinched the seventh championship in franchise history. Sadly, it would be the last triumph for Barilko. Later that summer, he disappeared in a plane crash north of Cochrane, Ontario. In an ironic twist of fate, the Maple Leafs did not win another Stanley Cup until 1962, the same year that his remains were finally found.

Old
03-27-2005, 09:15 AM
tomerez

Quote:
I don't think anyone will forget that incident involving Gretzky and Gilmour. Did you know that just last year Kerry apologized for missing that call. He acknowledged his mistake and said he was sorry. What the heck is sorry good now?

He even went on to say that his father was receiving threats where he lived.

Then there's that Bill Barilko story. If you don't know, in short it goes something like this:

Bill Barilko scored arguably the most famous goal in Maple Leaf history in Game Five of the 1951 Stanley Cup Final. This overtime marker against Montreal's Gerry McNeil clinched the seventh championship in franchise history. Sadly, it would be the last triumph for Barilko. Later that summer, he disappeared in a plane crash north of Cochrane, Ontario. In an ironic twist of fate, the Maple Leafs did not win another Stanley Cup until 1962, the same year that his remains were finally found.
I was aware of both of those, even as a young'n; the Tragically Hip as well as the retiring of Barilko's number have familiarized me with the story. While that can be considered curse-like since it involves a particularly strange coincidence, I don't feel the current Leafs draught possesses many of these strange coincidences.

Closed Thread