HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paulrus for Team Canada head coach?

Old
05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
booger

vCash: 50
Paulrus for Team Canada head coach?

What do you guys think? Everyone seems to assume Babcock and maybe Maclean as assistant, but I'm thinking the other way around at this point. He can handle the vets, the kids and the media. What do you all think?

booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
VVS

vCash: 500
Unlikely, strictly out of respect for Babcock.

VVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
HockeySens

Still Babcock for me with Maclean as assistant probably. First of all, Babcock has already won gold medal in the olympic as a head coach, a stanley cup as a head coach and he brought the Red Wings to the playoffs with the loss of Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Rafalski etc and they also had a lot of injuries this year. Babcock has lead the Rwd wings into the playoffs for several years and he still is and will be the coach for the olympics.

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Larionov

Babcock has the Stanley Cup ring, the Gold from last time, and the international experience. It his job if he wants it, which I can support. I love Paul MacLean, but you have to respect Babcock's overall body of work as a coach. He should be thrilled, though, to be able to add MacLean to his staff, and MacLean is a class act who would of course say yes if asked.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Honestly, I think they should switch up the GM and coaching staff for every Olympics.

4 years between tournaments is a long time, and yet, I wonder if the previous team may influence decisions in a way that is counter-productive.

If they lay another egg like Torino, I'll know it for sure.

Every Olympics team should be greeted with a completely fresh perspective IMO.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Max Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Honestly, I think they should switch up the GM and coaching staff for every Olympics.

4 years between tournaments is a long time, and yet, I wonder if the previous team may influence decisions in a way that is counter-productive.

If they lay another egg like Torino, I'll know it for sure.

Every Olympics team should be greeted with a completely fresh perspective IMO.
I completely agree. There is too much loyalty to players who likely should not make it.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Northern Neighbour

I agree that Babcock should be the head coach. He's one of the best in the business, and he's a proven winner as a head coach. I disagree that the management should change every year, as experience in putting a team together for such an event is critical. This is the one area where continuity is needed.

I do agree, however, that the roster should turn over every Olympics - not 100% (who in their right mind would leave off Crosby, Stamkos, Doughty, etc. from here on out), but the team should be willing to leave off a few veteran players, especially on the larger, international ice.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I agree that Babcock should be the head coach. He's one of the best in the business, and he's a proven winner as a head coach. I disagree that the management should change every year, as experience in putting a team together for such an event is critical. This is the one area where continuity is needed.

I do agree, however, that the roster should turn over every Olympics - not 100% (who in their right mind would leave off Crosby, Stamkos, Doughty, etc. from here on out), but the team should be willing to leave off a few veteran players, especially on the larger, international ice.
Ironically, Stamkos has NEVER played a game for Team Canada at the Olympics.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Niv
Registered Hater

I think it's safe to assume at this point that it will be Babcock, so if that's the case I think it's very likely that he will pick Paulrus as an assistant.

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Ironically, Stamkos has NEVER played a game for Team Canada at the Olympics.
I know. He was only in his 2nd NHL season during the last Olympics. It's not surprising that he was skipped as a 20-year old. My point was about leaving Stamkos off any future Olympic rosters.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote