HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Latendresse watch thread

Old
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
The guy could never skate

He's good at a lot of things but he has to be one of the worst skaters in the NHL right now

I was hoping that after getting signed by the Senators he would take the summer/lockout to work on his most glaring weakness but it doesn't look like he has

Still far too early to write him completely off but he doesn't seem like a good fit for our system if he can't keep up

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The guy could never skate

He's good at a lot of things but he has to be one of the worst skaters in the NHL right now

I was hoping that after getting signed by the Senators he would take the summer/lockout to work on his most glaring weakness but it doesn't look like he has

Still far too early to write him completely off but he doesn't seem like a good fit for our system if he can't keep up
As we all were but that should tell us something about his character as well when he doesn't bother to improve his most glaring weakness. Most athletes work their ***** off to improve their weaknesses, this guy has chosen not to. It tells me something.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
As we all were but that should tell us something about his character as well when he doesn't bother to improve his most glaring weakness. Most athletes work their ***** off to improve their weaknesses, this guy has chosen not to. It tells me something.
I just hope he has really been fine for the last month and has been training his ass off to come back really ready to go. At least send him down for a conditioning stint for a few. If he comes in now and bungs it up again he's done, here at least.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Or... he was suffering from concussion syndromes so he.. GASP... didn't work out.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
H2O

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Or... he was suffering from concussion syndromes so he.. GASP... didn't work out.
Lol, don't ruin it. It's entertaining to see people talk here with so much certainty when in fact they don't know jack.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Flamingo

He looked a bit slow after his first few shifts this season, but concussion and whiplash symptoms are impossible to work through. Who knows if these were limiting him this summer. You'd think that that sort of thing would be caught in a physical before we signed him, but these are the ailments that pop up under stress.

Let's hope he feels good and starts to perform with some intensity.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

He looked a bit slow after his first few shifts this season, but concussion and whiplash symptoms are impossible to work through. Who knows if these were limiting him this summer. You'd think that that sort of thing would be caught in a physical before we signed him, but these are the ailments that pop up under stress.

Let's hope he feels good and starts to perform with some intensity.
Hence the reason for this thread. It is possible he knew he still had the symptoms and still got a contract.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
source

Latendresse is the new Filatov. It's hilarious how many people just assumed he would be a top scoring threat despite the obvious risks.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

When he signed here he was a bad skater. It's not like he suddenly "lost his form" once he put on a Sens jersey. I'm interested to see how he does tonight. It would be interesting to see him line up with our new 1C Smith. ZS riding a 2 goal streak and Lats working down low type of thing.

I'm not getting my hopes up about this guy. When we signed him it was a trademark Murray gamble and still looks that way, but at least he has from now until his next injury/ end of the season to prove he's still got it, can help us out, etc.

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

See, I told you.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Latendresse is just getting STARTED as a Sen!

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

Well, looks like this thread will have to shut up for at least the next week or two

Old
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
See, I told you.
Well played. sir. Good sport.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:05 PM
HavlatMach9

Easy to be wrong when you arrive at grave conclusions/predictions based on small happenings.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Easy to be wrong when you arrive at grave conclusions/predictions based on small happenings.
To be honest he got pretty lucky to have that happen the way it did.

I give him to the end of the season to prove his worth.

I had the same optimism most Sens fans had too. I just got tired of the whole secrecy behind what was wrong with him. To date they still haven't explained much. I would love to know what caused the migraines and how it was treated. The whole story leads me to believe there was something else wrong that the organization wanted to keep a hush on.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:05 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
To be honest he got pretty lucky to have that happen the way it did.

I give him to the end of the season to prove his worth.

I had the same optimism most Sens fans had too. I just got tired of the whole secrecy behind what was wrong with him. To date they still haven't explained much. I would love to know what caused the migraines and how it was treated. The whole story leads me to believe there was something else wrong that the organization wanted to keep a hush on.
... Which is exactly why this thread was hilariously premature. Guy played in a half-dozen games and was written off? The guy's earned a chance to at least see the season through before fans unfairly turn on him.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
I just got tired of the whole secrecy behind what was wrong with him.
This is how the Sens have been this season. All of a sudden, Zibanejad, Regin, Michalek, and Lats just show up and start playing.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Jorge Garcia

In his very limited ice time here, Latendresse has made some of the Sens' very best plays of the year: tonight's great goal, some hard forechecking hits early in the year, a perfect feed to Turris for a goalmouth tap-in, and one of the smartest moves I've ever seen: Trapped offside in the attacking zone, with a Sens' odd-man rush coming in, he jumped over the boards to get out of the play and cancel the offside. Sens got a great scoring chance, forced a faceoff and scored off the draw.
Writing this guy off so soon would be idiotic. He can score. So many of his speedy teammates can't.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
This is how the Sens have been this season. All of a sudden, Zibanejad, Regin, Michalek, and Lats just show up and start playing.
And Turris back in form tonight. I think as long as he stays as a 2C he should continue to find success.

With that goal tonight Lats should at least earn a fair shake from the fans for a few games. I hope he gets more time on that top line. ZS has really looked great as 1C, I just still can't get over that.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
King City Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
In his very limited ice time here, Latendresse has made some of the Sens' very best plays of the year: tonight's great goal, some hard forechecking hits early in the year, a perfect feed to Turris for a goalmouth tap-in, and one of the smartest moves I've ever seen: Trapped offside in the attacking zone, with a Sens' odd-man rush coming in, he jumped over the boards to get out of the play and cancel the offside. Sens got a great scoring chance, forced a faceoff and scored off the draw.
Writing this guy off so soon would be idiotic.He can score. So many of his speedy teammates can't.
Thank you, he can create plays, pass and finish things off.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

People seems to forget that he probably had more chances to score than anybody in the first 4-5 games of the season. And for a slow guy, it's weird that he always ends up in a breakaway...

With his goal last night he's only 5 away from being the team's leading goal scorer...

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Proust

I say that's his last goal as a Sen. BOOK IT.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:37 AM
SNAPshot

He is what he is. He has some skill, some finish and he can play physical.

The foot speed is an issue, but this was his first game back so I'll cut him some slack. We need production/finish and physicality and that's what I hope he can bring for the rest of the season.

At that price, it's worth the gamble. The young guys that have come in play on the perimeter, where as guys like Michalek and Latendresse drive through the middle and make stuff happen (we've seen how valuable thatcan be in the past couple of games).

Although he's still young, oddly I kind of see him as a veteran rental. A guy that will come in and contribute the way we can without him necessarily being part of the plan...

He's the type of guy that will probably score the important goal here or there or spend some time in the press box if he can't finish, and I'm ok with that.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
I say that's his last goal as a Sen. BOOK IT.
Nice. That's the spirit we needed around here.

I'm glad the Sens board is, if nothing else, a beacon of unlimited optimism.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Nice. That's the spirit we needed around here.

I'm glad the Sens board is, if nothing else, a beacon of unlimited optimism.
There is more than enough "optimisim" (aka: homerism) on this board to handle the tiny shreds of "pessimism" (aka: realism) that pop-up, time-to-time, from level-headed posters.

Yes, Latendresse will probably squeeze out a few more goals, but I don't see great things from him. He skates like a one of those skating Russian Bears.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote