HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Latendresse watch thread

Old
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Sign him soon, before the rest of the league catches on. He's basically playing how I expect Mark Stone to in a few years. At least get him a one year extension.
Agree with this 100%.

Unless his health is even worse behind closed doors, I see no reason whatsoever not to resign him. He plays exactly how I hope Stone could play someday; his combination of size and soft hands are something to behold when he's on his game.

I fully support and believe in the organization's philosophy of building from within, but I dont think any one of Stone/Noesen/Puemple/Da Costa/Pageau will be ready for top 6 minutes next year. Latendress (when healthy) seems to be dominant, so why rush anyone unnecessarily when we have a legit guy who seems hungry to get his once promising NHL career back on track.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
IranCondraAffair

vCash: 500
It's not a secret our offence has become a lot more dynamic with Lats around. I'd really like to see what an entire season of these guys could do:

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Condra - Turris - Alfie
Lats - Z-Bad - Silf
Regin/O'Brien - Smith - Neil

I think that 3rd line could do some real damage offensively in the long term. That second line would be absolute hell to play against, and the top line has proven chemistry. We'd be running three scoring lines with shooters, playmakers, and guys who play well without the puck on each line. Depth down the centre and balance throughout.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
koreaboy

Sorry guys, but I'm just not seeing it. Terminally slow feet, slow decision making with the puck, big, but not mean or physical enough to take advantage of it. I think he's had some fairly fortunate points the last couple of weeks, but I just never see the guy being fast enough to be consistently dangerous. He's on not a bad little run of points, but he's never a guy I could feel comfy counting on.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
Sorry guys, but I'm just not seeing it. Terminally slow feet, slow decision making with the puck, big, but not mean or physical enough to take advantage of it. I think he's had some fairly fortunate points the last couple of weeks, but I just never see the guy being fast enough to be consistently dangerous. He's on not a bad little run of points, but he's never a guy I could feel comfy counting on.
He's been awesome in front of the net, who cares if he's slow he doesn't carry the puck for this team, all he has to do is get the rush going and go straight to the net for screens, tips and rebounds. He's awesome on our PP, Turris seems to be playing really well since he came back. I'd do an extension this summer if he can finish the season healthy

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
Patently false. And this whole hollow argument of getting "lucky bounces" isn't going to hold up for very much longer.

I don't think anyone who's still trying stay down on the guy even saw him play in his early days.

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:43 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Latendresse would be an excellent number 6ish forward.

Spezza
Ryan
Turris
Alfredsson
Silfverberg
Michalek
Latendresse
Zibanejad
Condra/Neil
Smith

That's my Cup contending top 9 depth.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:53 PM
koreaboy

I just can't agree. I haven't seen any "awesome" anywhere. He's made a couple of nice plays with his hands and he seems to be a decent passer, but his skating is such a liability that I can't ever see him being a difference maker over a fair number of games. If he's in your top 6, you aren't going to be a very good hockey team and you better be looking to upgrade. Theres a reason this guy has worn out his welcome on teams a couple of times now. His size and occasional scoring bursts make you think he can be something, but I just don't see his skating, work ethic or consistency ever being good enough. I'd rather use his roster spot on an emerging younger player like a stone than tie one down on him. He was signed as a stopgap cheap "scorer", he's doing a little bit of that, but I sure hope we aren't looking to tie ourselves to the guy on a multiyear extension.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

I don't see why you'd prefer an 'emerging younger player' like Stone when you have a 25 year old who's already bringing the game that Stone is projected to bring some time in the future. And if Lats' skating is such a deterrent, you'd better prepare yourself for Stone.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
MrG
Lord and Saviour

Lock him up. He's bringing energy and seems to be having a ton of fun being back healthy and playing hockey again. It's refreshing to see and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't want to stay.

Get it done, BM.

MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:54 PM
thefatjesus*

Latts is a badass, and hes getting paid 1.25..naysayers need to **** and smile a little

thefatjesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:42 AM
SebFromHawk
un faucon

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

THAT IS ALL.

SebFromHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:51 AM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

vCash: 50
1-year deal only.

Force him to come in shape next year and a play well on a contract year.

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:23 AM
DrEasy
Cameron = MacLean?

I don't mind him, but I wonder if he's a good fit in McLean's system. He sticks out compared to all our other players.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:45 AM
source

Latendresse isn't intense enough for the playoffs. Not. Even. Close.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:17 AM
4thlinescrub
Tulo!!!

I'll give credit to Latendresse for coming back like he has but he still needs to stay healthy and keep up his current play, so he's still a wait and see.

4thlinescrub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:37 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSenators11 View Post
1-year deal only.

Force him to come in shape next year and a play well on a contract year.
I agree with you. At which salary per year? 2.5M?

In his situation, I would ask for a 3 year contract. Think of Kuba. Not sure which guy is going to show up.

So Murray traded Foligno for Latendresse and Methot? What a trade.

Last edited by guyzeur: 03-24-2013 at 06:48 AM.
guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:41 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
The line of Lats Turris and Silverberg has been very good. Lats underrated passing ability, his work on the cycle and his net presence are all good reasons to keep him. Other bonuses are his contract his age his physically his desire to be in Ottawa close to his family in Montreal and his point totals are pretty good considering the number of games played. Oh ya and a french canadian in Ottawa doesn't hurt either

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
The line of Lats Turris and Silverberg has been very good. Lats underrated passing ability, his work on the cycle and his net presence are all good reasons to keep him. Other bonuses are his contract his age his physically his desire to be in Ottawa close to his family in Montreal and his point totals are pretty good considering the number of games played. Oh ya and a french canadian in Ottawa doesn't hurt either
If he comes into camp like he is now and improves good on him. We were sold a bill or goods by management and the media that he was better than he was. If he is healthy now and keeps up his play we should offer him another contract.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 50
I was hard on latendresse earlier on but he's looking a lot better- I don't get all the hate for him. He's cheap, young, has some talent. Definitely seems worth giving him time to turn his career around here.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
take a peek

I hope he would agree to another 1 year contract, signed in the offseason.

He seemed to hint he already wanted to stay, so let him prove himself the rest of the way this year.

Sign for another at higher pay and see if he can play his way into a longer deal, maybe best for the Sens and him.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:52 AM
OgieO

It's too bad it's so hard to give contracts with big incentives added in the new CBA (unless I misunderstood). Hard to make a long term commitment to a guy that has such an injury history but it would be nice to keep him around. I like his knack for getting scoring chances and physical play.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
If he comes into camp like he is now and improves good on him. We were sold a bill or goods by management and the media that he was better than he was. If he is healthy now and keeps up his play we should offer him another contract.
Sold a bill of goods? How so? He was signed on a cheap 1 year deal, and it was clear this was a gamble, giving the guy a chance to prove he's still got it. I don't remember any gigantic expectations of him when the signing was announced. In fact if I recall correctly he was generally referred to as top 6 "depth."

But I hope we do try to re-sign him soon, because if he sustains this type of play the rest of the year the league will get wise to him. 1 or 2 yr max.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
John Holmes*

I'm on the Lats bandwagon.

I'd resign him without hesitation.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Yep...Lats deserves to be re-signed if he keeps playing the way he has. He's not a liability on defence, and he brings an element we've been missing on offence. I really like him so far.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

The other thing is that if there's any coaching staff that can help him with his stride, it's Ottawa. And after his last few games back I'm not convinced that his commitment is really an issue. He seems genuinely excited to be playing and wanting to play effectively.