HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 21 | Detroit Red Wings @ San Jose Sharks| 10:30 PM EST | FS-D

Old
03-01-2013, 12:15 AM
BazDaSpaz

vCash: 500
What a laser shot by Brunner. The guys clutch. We can't afford to let him walk after this short season. Nice solid game by Gus tonight too. He deserves more games. Off to bed. Nice win by the Wings & YNWA!

BazDaSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I thought he was very good and made some big saves. Seemed like he was fighting the puck all night though.
That'll happen when your team keeps giving it away in the zone for odd man rushes or chances in front of the net.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Time to break Chicago's streak

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:19 AM
MrH4bs

MrH4bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Mickey Redmond

Chicago's streak comes to an end Sunday.

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I have not used my Abdelkader/Cleary/Quincey complaining card yet. Also, I drool at the thought of Pavel playing with Tatar or Nyquist.

Oh, well.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:27 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I thought he was very good and made some big saves. Seemed like he was fighting the puck all night though.
1st start of the season, no surprise.

2 flukey goals.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Yzerman1919*

I feel like Brunner is gonna be a guy who is willing to sign for cheap $$ to play for a team that wins/enjoys being on, lock him up.

When is Franzen gonna take the puck to the net and shoot that wicked wrist shot that he has? I havent seen that at all this year and thats how he used to score 75%of his goals...

Yzerman1919* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:30 AM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
Chicago's streak comes to an end Sunday.
We're going to have to have a higher conversion rate to beat Chicago. Impressive goaltending like we had tonight is a MUST. But we are going to NEED to convert to beat them Sunday.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:30 AM
14ari13

Kronwall another point and +1. He was -9 now he is -4. Why?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Perhaps he's settling into his new role. Big change for him being the guy on defense and didn't have a training camp to adjust. I don't know, just a guess.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:54 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Perhaps he's settling into his new role. Big change for him being the guy on defense and didn't have a training camp to adjust. I don't know, just a guess.
Lashoff is not his partner, but Ericsson. That's why.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Eastopia
Smith... on the PP?

vCash: 464
Quote:
Because now Cleary and Abby are up on the 2nd giving him easy points.

Seriously though, he started off in an aweful fassion but has really picked up his play lately. Not making the same dumb over-creative turn-overs in their own zone, not screening own goalie etc. It shows. Not having Lashoff beside him helps too, of course.

Eastopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quincey was okay tonight. He's been OKAY the last couple of games.(Ignoring that awful, awful penalty from last night.) Not nearly as bad as he was a couple of weeks ago. The defense as a whole have been pretty okay to solid.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:45 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerman1919 View Post
When is Franzen gonna take the puck to the net and shoot that wicked wrist shot that he has? I havent seen that at all this year and thats how he used to score 75%of his goals...
I fear that the Franzen that we once knew is all but gone.

He'll still get some goals when he gets the puck in good areas of the ice because of his shot, but the days of him carrying the puck with a purpose and driving to the net to unleash his shot have disappeared. He's soft on the puck now.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:59 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
YES!!!

I had to fight off falling asleep at least twice a period but I managed to stay up and the Wings pulled it off.
Yea and it wasn't from being tired, both teams really slooweddown at certain points.

And then Tatar and Andersson get out it's a whole different game!

I wretch seeing Datsyuk, IMO the greatest player in the world stuck with you know who x2. Glorious opportunities that never develop because we are wasting our and his time here in Detroit. I'm finally on the bandwagon- please with all the injuries at least let Tats and Andersson learn from the man! Cleary and Abdelkader can do nothing more with the chances they're being given. The youth could gain a lot more and I guarantee score as much in their place.

By the play Abbie made that caused a goal I thought at first it had to be Datsyuk, only he would I trust to approach 2 defenders at the blue line in such fashion. But nope, stupid turnover that nearly cost us 2 points.

Franzen is a ghost right now. How will he regain some momentum and play the big role expected of him? Is it just a matter of time to get back up to speed?

Kindl took over that 1st period, was enjoyable to watch. Pretty sure he had the 1st shot on net and some nice ones on the PP. He has swagger. I never realized how big a body Quincey is, that is a definite + to his success and part of his confidence.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:26 AM
silkyjohnson50

^^^

Kindl is very confident with the puck outside of his own end. He skates well with it in the neutral zone and his lateral movement along the offensive blueline might be the best on the team. He still makes some errors around his own zone and he gambles a bit with his pinches though. He looks pretty good though for a guy who can barely crack the lineup.

As far as Datsyuk goes, have we ever in his career see him trust his linemates so little? He quit passing them the puck today. I found it amusing and wish I could have seen Babcock's face after those shifts.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:59 AM
joe89

Quote:
Lashoff is not his partner, but Ericsson. That's why.
A big reason, but he's stopped with the enormous amount of turnovers. Anyway our defense actually plays like a defense lately.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:11 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
A couple observation from last nights game...

Gustavsson makes me nervous. He got the win and that's all that matters in the end, but he has an unorthodox style. I've never really payed much attention to him in Toronto, so this was really my first time watching him closely. Maybe it's just because it was his first start? Regardless...so far, so good!

Even though it was a fluky deflected goal, I'm glad Eaves got the credit. He played very well.

As did Tootoo, that penalty called on him was questionable. I honestly NEVER EVER EVER EVER thought I'd consider my self a fan of Tootoo. I hated that guy more than any other player in the NHL, but now I can honestly say that I'm glad he's a Red Wing. I just hope he keeps it clean, but continues to play ever so close to the edge without crossing it.

Z and Brunner were really good. They really do have some unique chemistry.

Datsyuk was playing well but he just didn't get many chances.

Ericsson continues to play pretty solid.

All in all, that was a pretty typical Sharks vs. Wings game. Any time you beat the Sharks it feels good, they've had our number since Todd McLellan took over.

Last edited by crashman: 03-01-2013 at 06:21 AM.
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:36 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
A couple observation from last nights game...

Gustavsson makes me nervous. He got the win and that's all that matters in the end, but he has an unorthodox style. I've never really payed much attention to him in Toronto, so this was really my first time watching him closely. Maybe it's just because it was his first start? Regardless...so far, so good!

Even though it was a fluky deflected goal, I'm glad Eaves got the credit. He played very well.

As did Tootoo, that penalty called on him was questionable. I honestly NEVER EVER EVER EVER thought I'd consider my self a fan of Tootoo. I hated that guy more than any other player in the NHL, but now I can honestly say that I'm glad he's a Red Wing. I just hope he keeps it clean, but continues to play ever so close to the edge without crossing it.

Z and Brunner were really good. They really do have some unique chemistry.

Datsyuk was playing well but he just didn't get many chances.

Ericsson continues to play pretty solid.

All in all, that was a pretty typical Sharks vs. Wings game. Any time you beat the Sharks it feels good, they've had our number since Todd McLellan took over.
The thing with Gustavsson was that his unorthodox style was his selling point. That terribad Toronto goalie coach was forcing him to do stupid stuff, and I'm guessing Bedard is getting him go back to basics for him.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
InjuredChoker

Much needed win. Gustavsson did enough, D is coming together a little better.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:20 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Lashoff is NHL-caliber when he's not playing against the top-lines. Glad Babcock finally realized it. Lashoff was pretty impressive last night. Would rather he plays top-pairing minutes in GR though, needs to work on positioning.

I think the Kindl - Smith pairing could actually work. Both guys carry the puck really well and have a physical aspect to their game. I just wish Smith would be a little more aggressive offensively like last year.

Kindl is as strong as I've ever seen him, he's a beast along the boards. The best example was two nights ago when he had an awesome shift defensively against Dustin Brown, just overpowering him multiple times. And he's REALLY composed with the puck, lots of confidence.

If I were Babs I'd roll with this once Flip is healthy:

Flip - Z - Mule
Tats - Pavs - Nose

Kronner - E
Smitty - Kindl
Q - Lashoff

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Interesting factoid from Ansar Khan on Twitter:

Quote:
From Griffins' Randy Cleves: Thursday was first time ever Wings won a game with defense consisting entirely of ex-Griiffins (continued) ...

Those 6 former Griffins: Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Lashoff.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Hello,

My name is Johan "The Mule" Franzen (I don't know why they call me that, because sometimes I fall down like a 5-year old in a Korn mosh pit, but the ladies seem to think it's cute so I roll with it), and I play professional ice hockey for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings. I understand you might be looking to add a power forward to your roster, and would like to extol the benefits of having me on the team:

- I can make wide-open, tape-to-tape passes very easily;
- I can stand at the opposing blue line and wait very patiently for my team to advance the puck to me;
- I can shoot the puck pretty hard, and almost always scare the crap out of the goalie unless I'm standing within 3 feet of the net -- then the puck sometimes goes in it;
- I can carry the puck into the zone under pressure, and am very willing to give the other team the puck as long as they ask for it politely;
- I'm really good at conserving energy;
- My salary isn't very high, and I'm under contract for a long time (that's good, right?)

If you or someone you know would like to hire me, please contact my agent. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited by RedMenace: 03-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Harnessed in Slums

One positive I took from the game is it looked like Brendan Smith was starting to become more active on the power play. He's a guy who should be a strong performer 5v4 and as far as I can recall that was the first time I've seen him be a positive factor on the power play, even though his play didn't result in a goal. With the way teams tend to sag off the points he seems like he could be a good puck mover who can carry the puck into the high slot area and either shoot or find an open shooter.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote