HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Terry Sawchuk (MOD: Video of Game 7 of the 1967 Cup finals?)

Old
02-28-2013, 01:32 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

vCash: 500
Terry Sawchuk (MOD: Video of Game 7 of the 1967 Cup finals?)

I'm reading the biography of Sawchuk by David Dupuis and he talks about the 5th game of the 1967 SC semifinal between the Leafs and Hawks in Chicago stadium. With the Leafs down 2-0 after the first period, Imlach pulls Bower and puts in Sawchuk. Sawchuk stops something like 37 shots in the last two periods for a 3-2 Leafs win. Already playing hurt, it is also mentioned that he was severely injured during the game after a Hull slapshot hit him in the shoulder. Sawchuk's performance is considered one of the great goaltending spectacles in playoff history.

I've searched Youtube for video of this game but found nothing. Was this game televised and is there video of it?

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.
LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:56 AM
DJ Man

Living in Chicago, I heard this game on the radio -- the Hawks refused TV coverage of home games. But I'm pretty sure that there was a closed-circuit showing at some area theaters.

DJ Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Canadiens1958

Hnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
I'm reading the biography of Sawchuk by David Dupuis and he talks about the 5th game of the 1967 SC semifinal between the Leafs and Hawks in Chicago stadium. With the Leafs down 2-0 after the first period, Imlach pulls Bower and puts in Sawchuk. Sawchuk stops something like 37 shots in the last two periods for a 3-2 Leafs win. Already playing hurt, it is also mentioned that he was severely injured during the game after a Hull slapshot hit him in the shoulder. Sawchuk's performance is considered one of the great goaltending spectacles in playoff history.

I've searched Youtube for video of this game but found nothing. Was this game televised and is there video of it?
All Leaf playoff games were carried on the CBC - HNIC at that time as were those featuring the Canadiens, SRC - SDH. There were blackouts arrangements if both were playing the same night. Game was telecast but the CBC did not keep tapes with very few exceptions.

Game summary:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19670009

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 02-28-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: LINK
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
DJ Man

I searched the Chicago Tribune archives for April 15, 1967, and found no mention in the sports section of any showing of the game. But checking a few familiar theaters turned up this:

So, it did play in theaters in Chicago, if that's any help.

DJ Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Canadiens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
All Leaf playoff games were carried on the CBC - HNIC at that time as were those featuring the Canadiens, SRC - SDH. There were blackouts arrangements if both were playing the same night. Game was telecast but the CBC did not keep tapes with very few exceptions.

Game summary:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19670009
This particular game is one of the exceptions.

Originially broadcast on CBC with Bill Hewitt on the play-by-play and Brian McFarlane handling the colour duties, the game has been preserved in it's entirety, and has been rebroadcast - in full - on Leafs TV in recent years. After a quick perusal of some trading sites I can confirm that the game is widely available.

Canadiens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote