HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL files charges

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2005, 02:08 PM
TrueBlue

vCash: 500
NHL files charges

Bettman is filing a complaint with the U.S. board, what about the Canadian Labour Board? Whatever the U.S. board decides, Canada has to go along with it too?
Do they not consider Canada in all this? What if Canada has a different view?

League takes NHLPA to U.S. labour board

NEW YORK (CP) - It's getting uglier in the NHL lockout, with the league filing what is believed to be its first formal legal challenge in the six-month old dispute.

The NHL filed a charge with the National Labor Relations Board in the United States against the NHLPA on Thursday over a union policy that appears to financially penalize members who become replacement players.

NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly called the union policy, which states a member would have to pay back any work stoppage benefits if he chose to become a replacement player next season, is "coercive" and in violation of "the players' rights under the labour laws to decide individually whether to be represented by a union."

The lockout benefits are estimated at between $5000 to $10,000 US a month per player.

The NLRB will investigate the charge and decide whether or not to issue a complaint on the league's behalf. If a complaint is issued, players may not have to repay their benefits if they become replacement players.

The NLRB is an independent quasi-judicial body which polices unfair labour acts in the U.S.

The NHL hinted at the use of replacement players at a March 1 board of governors meeting, and planned to revisit the issue at an April 20th board of governors meeting in New York.

Old
03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
the owners are a bunch of sucks

Old
03-27-2005, 06:31 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
the owners are a bunch of sucks

Well, I look at it as moving forward. I think they came out of the early March meeting 'promising' us fans that there WILL be hockey.

So my chances of seeing NHL hockey in the fall are best with the owners.

If I leave it to the NHLPA players to bring me NHL hockey, well lets just say that I've been disappointed before with them when they don't show up.

When do they not show up? Well I paid $200 bills to see a Toronto and Detroit game and Federov wasn't there. Why wasn't he there? He was holding out for a more lucrative contract to the one he was already being offered. Who loses out here? The fan. And the buck stops at the fan. I was disappointed in Federov as I starting getting disappointed with many after that.

That's when I realized that it's the owners that are giving us the game, not the players. The players come and go, just like the thousands before them.
But the owners have to worry about giving the game to me and my kids. So I'm with them.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to fall. Enjoy a nice summer and get ready for hockey. If they still cannot settle this impasse, then we got the Marlies to fall back on, Plan B I'm just as excited for them coming to Toronto as I am for the possiblity of the NHL starting up.

Closed Thread