Notices

Kane would have the status of Ovi, Crosby if he was in a big market

Old
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
ATLhockey437

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
My goodness you could not be more blind to reality.
Blind? You don't live in a country where Hockey isn't the most popular sport so you can't speak for what reality is in terms of hockey popularity in the states.

I live in America where only the Northeast + Mich, Minn, Wisconsin follow hockey. The reality is that Hockey is barely ahead of soccer as the number 4 sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball in my country.

People know WPG is a hockey market because of Canada's passion for the game. Doesn't mean they care or have respect for your city as a fanbase.

You know what reality is? When the EDM/CAR and CGY/TBL SCF matchups went down as the lowest rated SC finals in terms of viewing. The avg sports fan likes playoff hockey but they're not going to care when it's a Canadian team in the finals.

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:14 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Kane would get a bit more clout if he was playing in a bigger market, but he's not into Sid or Ovie territory yet. Might never be.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
Kane would get a bit more clout if he was playing in a bigger market, but he's not into Sid or Ovie territory yet. Might never be.
Did you say OV? Yes, I just cracked one myself!

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Puckschmuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Blind? You don't live in a country where Hockey isn't the most popular sport so you can't speak for what reality is in terms of hockey popularity in the states.

I live in America where only the Northeast + Mich, Minn, Wisconsin follow hockey. The reality is that Hockey is barely ahead of soccer as the number 4 sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball in my country.

People know WPG is a hockey market because of Canada's passion for the game. Doesn't mean they care or have respect for your city as a fanbase.

You know what reality is? When the EDM/CAR and CGY/TBL SCF matchups went down as the lowest rated SC finals in terms of viewing. The avg sports fan likes playoff hockey but they're not going to care when it's a Canadian team in the finals.
So you and a few others have zero respect for me as a fan, my city or my market. Who the **** cares anyways. The reality is that Winnipeg is a far more lucrative market than most of the southern markets (notice how I said MOST).

You are just ever so bitter when it comes to you refusing to acknowledge the obvious because of the past history with the franchise. Once your rage subsides, maybe come back here and partake in the discuss with a more level headed point of view instead of looking for opportunities to take potshots at Winnipeg.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 03-10-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post

See bolded, non-hockey markets for the reason those finals had low ratings.

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Ovi is in Washington, Crosby is in Pittsburgh. Before those guys got there, those were not big markets.

Kane is not making Winnipeg a bigger market than it is. When he was in Atlanta, there wasn't a buzz around those parts over drafting him like there was with Ovie or Crosby.

Kane is good, but he's not that good.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
see bolded, non-hockey markets for the reason those finals had low ratings.
50/50

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:19 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

IMO...yes. I think the NHL would market the heck out of him if he played for any big market team.

That said, the argument against this is that Caps games were empty before Ovy.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IMO...yes. I think the NHL would market the heck out of him if he played for any big market team.

That said, the argument against this is that Caps games were empty before Ovy.
exactly. Pittsburg wasn't exactly destination number one in the time between lemeiux and crosby either.

These players made their markets more then the markets made them. If Evander had been hyped across international media 1-2 years before his draft year, he would have been marketed like these two.

Essentially, if Kane was as good as them, he'd be marketed as them. But he's not.. at least not yet, though i actually do see a lot of similarities between Kane and Ovy during Ovy's golden years.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote