HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Kane would have the status of Ovi, Crosby if he was in a big market

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
  #101
ATLhockey437
Registered User
 
ATLhockey437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
My goodness you could not be more blind to reality.
Blind? You don't live in a country where Hockey isn't the most popular sport so you can't speak for what reality is in terms of hockey popularity in the states.

I live in America where only the Northeast + Mich, Minn, Wisconsin follow hockey. The reality is that Hockey is barely ahead of soccer as the number 4 sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball in my country.

People know WPG is a hockey market because of Canada's passion for the game. Doesn't mean they care or have respect for your city as a fanbase.

You know what reality is? When the EDM/CAR and CGY/TBL SCF matchups went down as the lowest rated SC finals in terms of viewing. The avg sports fan likes playoff hockey but they're not going to care when it's a Canadian team in the finals.

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:14 PM
  #102
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan
 
kk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taipei(fromManitoba)
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Kane would get a bit more clout if he was playing in a bigger market, but he's not into Sid or Ovie territory yet. Might never be.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
  #103
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
Kane would get a bit more clout if he was playing in a bigger market, but he's not into Sid or Ovie territory yet. Might never be.
Did you say OV? Yes, I just cracked one myself!

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:35 PM
  #104
Puckschmuck*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Blind? You don't live in a country where Hockey isn't the most popular sport so you can't speak for what reality is in terms of hockey popularity in the states.

I live in America where only the Northeast + Mich, Minn, Wisconsin follow hockey. The reality is that Hockey is barely ahead of soccer as the number 4 sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball in my country.

People know WPG is a hockey market because of Canada's passion for the game. Doesn't mean they care or have respect for your city as a fanbase.

You know what reality is? When the EDM/CAR and CGY/TBL SCF matchups went down as the lowest rated SC finals in terms of viewing. The avg sports fan likes playoff hockey but they're not going to care when it's a Canadian team in the finals.
So you and a few others have zero respect for me as a fan, my city or my market. Who the **** cares anyways. The reality is that Winnipeg is a far more lucrative market than most of the southern markets (notice how I said MOST).

You are just ever so bitter when it comes to you refusing to acknowledge the obvious because of the past history with the franchise. Once your rage subsides, maybe come back here and partake in the discuss with a more level headed point of view instead of looking for opportunities to take potshots at Winnipeg.


Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 03-10-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
  #105
Jets
All hat, no cattle.
 
Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,227
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Blind? You don't live in a country where Hockey isn't the most popular sport so you can't speak for what reality is in terms of hockey popularity in the states.

I live in America where only the Northeast + Mich, Minn, Wisconsin follow hockey. The reality is that Hockey is barely ahead of soccer as the number 4 sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball in my country.

People know WPG is a hockey market because of Canada's passion for the game. Doesn't mean they care or have respect for your city as a fanbase.

You know what reality is? When the EDM/CAR and CGY/TBL SCF matchups went down as the lowest rated SC finals in terms of viewing. The avg sports fan likes playoff hockey but they're not going to care when it's a Canadian team in the finals.
See bolded, non-hockey markets for the reason those finals had low ratings.

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
  #106
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,514
vCash: 50
Ovi is in Washington, Crosby is in Pittsburgh. Before those guys got there, those were not big markets.

Kane is not making Winnipeg a bigger market than it is. When he was in Atlanta, there wasn't a buzz around those parts over drafting him like there was with Ovie or Crosby.

Kane is good, but he's not that good.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM
  #107
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,514
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
see bolded, non-hockey markets for the reason those finals had low ratings.
50/50

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:19 AM
  #108
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,626
vCash: 500
IMO...yes. I think the NHL would market the heck out of him if he played for any big market team.

That said, the argument against this is that Caps games were empty before Ovy.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:02 AM
  #109
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IMO...yes. I think the NHL would market the heck out of him if he played for any big market team.

That said, the argument against this is that Caps games were empty before Ovy.
exactly. Pittsburg wasn't exactly destination number one in the time between lemeiux and crosby either.

These players made their markets more then the markets made them. If Evander had been hyped across international media 1-2 years before his draft year, he would have been marketed like these two.


Essentially, if Kane was as good as them, he'd be marketed as them. But he's not.. at least not yet, though i actually do see a lot of similarities between Kane and Ovy during Ovy's golden years.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.