HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stockpilling Draft Picks----Will they Be Used To Trade Up In The Draft?

Old
03-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Habsrule

vCash: 500
Stockpilling Draft Picks----Will they Be Used To Trade Up In The Draft?

So far the Habs will have picks in these approx spots.

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

With six picks in the first 90 do you think that the Habs may be looking to either trade up in the first round or else acquire a second first rounder.

Would you rather just keep all of the picks and stockpile the prospects list.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Nope. Draft players. Develop. Use as trading chips if needed. Start a steady NHL supply of kids to control costs and keep competition for positions.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:08 PM
davepeak
Too many pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

With six picks in the first 90 do you think that the Habs may be looking to either trade up in the first round or else acquire a second first rounder.

Well Trevor Timmins has a great 2nd+ draft history, with 5 picks in the 30-90 range he could hit a homerun, but as this draft comes with so much 1st round talent, let's see what we'll do with all those picks...

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Habsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperwebman View Post
Well Trevor Timmins has a great 2nd+ draft history, with 5 picks in the 30-90 range he could hit a homerun, but as this draft comes with so much 1st round talent, let's see what we'll do with all those picks...
Normally I would be all for keeping all of the picks and just adding to the list. This year it looks as if our pick will not be that early of a pick. (That is a good thing that we are doing so well)

We are already doing well with prospects/young players that maybe we should try to swing for the fences.

Goalies:
Tokarski

Defence:
Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Bennett

Forwards:
Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher, Holland, Hudon, Bozon, Geoffrion, Galchenyuk, Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont

There is a good amount of talent on that list. We have the quantity but is it time to try for more quality.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

All depends on who's out there at the draft...if they think a player is really worth the risk, they have the option. But, it's a deep draft for eveybody....i don't think there's many GM ready to give up their 1st pick.

For me the Habs will pick 6 players between 20 and 90.

Since 2007, Timmins picked these players in that range: Pacioretty, Subban, Tinordi, Collberg, Thrower, Bozon, Weber, Kristo, Quailer....and even picked Gallagher, Hudon, Dumont in the 5th!

Even if we don't move up...in a deep draft, Timmins/Bergevin might build the prospect bank for years to come.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:29 PM
davepeak
Too many pools

Quote:
Normally I would be all for keeping all of the picks and just adding to the list. This year it looks as if our pick will not be that early of a pick. (That is a good thing that we are doing so well)

We are already doing well with prospects/young players that maybe we should try to swing for the fences.

Goalies:
Tokarski

Defence:
Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Bennett

Forwards:
Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher, Holland, Hudon, Bozon, Geoffrion, Galchenyuk, Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont

There is a good amount of talent on that list. We have the quantity but is it time to try for more quality.
On your list, I wouldn't trade Collberg, Chuckie, Gally and either one of Beaulieu/Tinordi. Others are good prospects, but I wouldn't mind trading them (and I love Leblanc).

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:42 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
I just hope we draft some guys with size and skill. Even if they're a 2nd liner, it'd be great to have some mean streaks in the top6.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
KadoCH

With the surplus of picks I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see MB make a move at the deadline for some playoff help if things keep going well.

2nd + 3rd could definitely add a nice rental and leave 3 picks in the 20-60 range.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:23 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I just hope we draft some guys with size and skill. Even if they're a 2nd liner, it'd be great to have some mean streaks in the top6.
Honestly, prob one of the things we are missing. Some mean physical D-men in the system along with a Tyler Biggs type. Would be good to have some decent physical players.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Honestly, prob one of the things we are missing. Some mean physical D-men in the system along with a Tyler Biggs type. Would be good to have some decent physical players.
I know he's a unique specimen, but I would LOVE to draft a guy in the mold of what Byfuglien did for the Hawks as a forward. Obviously its not likely to find a guy as heavy or as strong a Big Buff, but a guy big and heavy especially who has decent hands around the goalmouth would be so useful for us. A legitimate netfront prescence that can't get cleared easily. Creates traffic, chaos and distraction while our smaller guys buzz around and score.

Basically, I would love for Bergevin and Timmins to find the type of role players the Hawks had in 2010 with the quantity of picks we own. I'm obviously not expecting each picks to be our Bolland, Buff, Ladd,etc. but if they can even find one guy who fits the Buff mold, I'd be so happy. Now is the time to reap the benefits of this draft and get a nice variation of styles among our prospects.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Ginu

I'd package some of those with Desharnais and Leblanc and get a bonafide top draft pick or top young player. We have the prospect depth, right now we need the elite talent.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:28 AM
NotProkofievian

Keep the picks. Give Timmins as many kicks at the can as possible, provide his picks with the proper support for their development and we will profit from it. In my opinion, we will profit greatly from it.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:34 AM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I know he's a unique specimen, but I would LOVE to draft a guy in the mold of what Byfuglien did for the Hawks as a forward. Obviously its not likely to find a guy as heavy or as strong a Big Buff, but a guy big and heavy especially who has decent hands around the goalmouth would be so useful for us. A legitimate netfront prescence that can't get cleared easily. Creates traffic, chaos and distraction while our smaller guys buzz around and score.

Basically, I would love for Bergevin and Timmins to find the type of role players the Hawks had in 2010 with the quantity of picks we own. I'm obviously not expecting each picks to be our Bolland, Buff, Ladd,etc. but if they can even find one guy who fits the Buff mold, I'd be so happy. Now is the time to reap the benefits of this draft and get a nice variation of styles among our prospects.
Byfuglien: Drafted 245th (8th round) in 2003.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:05 AM
bigtimehockeyfan999

theoretically speaking here.....if we were to propose a package of x amount of our picks to a team for their first....would they accept this...and how high could we get?

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:20 AM
brian70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
theoretically speaking here.....if we were to propose a package of x amount of our picks to a team for their first....would they accept this...and how high could we get?
If Montreal picks 15th and Calgary 5th, they could move a few notches in exchange for their first and the Flames' 2nd. But certainly not top 5.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Lshap

1st round picks are no longer for sale and each of our wins takes us further away from a top pick. Best we can do this draft year is package two late 2nd-round picks for Avs/Edmonton's 2nd round, thus moving up about 15 spots in round two. Timmins is good at finding 2nd round gems, but don't expect anyone to turn into a top-line forward or defenseman. The chances of landing a prime player in this year's draft are slim.

If there are any big moves, they will be in a trade or a UFA signing. We seem to be clearing a lot of cap space for... something.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:07 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Nope. Draft players. Develop. Use as trading chips if needed. Start a steady NHL supply of kids to control costs and keep competition for positions.
This, so this. You can't draft a superstar every draft, you'll never be able to keep them all together anyways. Keep them, let Timmins work his magic and be thankful Gainey/Gauthier are no longer here to give them away for nothing.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:10 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think targeting guys like Biggs would be a colossal mistake. Players of his ilk are easily acquired through free Agency. The draft is for drafting talent. I hope Timmins sticks to his ways.

Tyler Biggs, no thank you.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
i sure hope we draft even more smalllish lightweight easily displaced type of players...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:52 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

I wouldn't mind seeing us trade 2 2nd rounders or a 2nd + 3rd to get another 1st.

I'd really like to see Montreal take Fredrik Gauthier (6'5", 210) or Valentin Zykov (6'2" 215).

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

At this point it's probably to use the picks, however once we get close to the draft, they may have a guy they really want and need to move up 3-5 spots and may use one of the 3rds...or 5-7 and use a 2nd.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think targeting guys like Biggs would be a colossal mistake. Players of his ilk are easily acquired through free Agency. The draft is for drafting talent. I hope Timmins sticks to his ways.

Targetting guys like Biggs in the middle rounds is fine, not in rounds 1 and 2 of a strong draft.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:15 AM
TinordiandSubban

Nichuskin could slide and a team with a few seconds to spare would be able to trade up and snag him.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

Players who have the potential to be top 6, borderline heavy weight fighters are acquired from free agency ?

You be GM and get us one.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Nichuskin could slide and a team with a few seconds to spare would be able to trade up and snag him.
Nikushkin looks like a definite top 10 pick right now after the 4 Nations. He may slide to 11-16 but will probably be gone by our 1st. I still see an underachiever as a pro, lots of tools but limited toolbox.