HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Canadian Politics IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I'm a Conservative supporter and have voted for Harper in the past 4 elections. That said I wish that they hadn't droven the country back into deficit, they had a nice surplus left by the Liberals, they should have protected that at all costs.
How?

This reads pretty black and white for what I would imagine to be an ocean of grey.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
How?

This reads pretty black and white for what I would imagine to be an ocean of grey.
It's only an ocean of grey for those looking to make excuses for Harper's fiscal policies .

Gutting your revenues while increasing spending isn't an ocean of grey .

Old
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
It's only an ocean of grey for those looking to make excuses for Harper's fiscal policies .

It's actually pretty white in a recession. You can complain about Harper spending the money on stupid things, but generating a deficit in a recession isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post

I agree, and I'm not looking to make excuses, but I just get tired of oversimplication of issues.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Puck
Ninja

The Conservatives ate up the surplus with tax cuts for electoral purposes even before the financial crisis and resulting recession. By the time of the 2008 election, the Globe & Mail editorial board figured they were already 3 to 5 billion in the red. Nobody saw it before the downturn because they hadn't tabled the new budget yet. The recession that followed allowed them to save face, to pin the blame on that.

The new Harper Government then morphed into Liberals and provided Keynesian spending. It was the right thing to do for the economy and to save their partisan hides, it just went against their conservative ideology and I disagree with the way they did it (CPC cheques).

The previous Liberal government took on the Preston Manning mantra for cutting deficits by slashing social services. However the bargain was, once surpluses arrived, part went to debt, part to tax cuts, and part back to social services. It was short-term pain for long-term gain. The Conservatives changed the bargain and blew the surplus permanently for faster tax cuts and the cuts to social services are meant to be permanent.

If the Martin Government had survived, they would have gone into Keynesian spending too during the recession, but there would have been a larger buffer to start and they would not have continued to cut revenues to the degree the CPC did. The total debt accumulation would not have accelerated as much as it did.

Last edited by Puck: 05-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
05-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Another PR disaster in the making for the Harper government:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...n-mystery.html

This is the fastest way to lose elections in Canada. You'd think political parties would have this figured out by now.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:35 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Another PR disaster in the making for the Harper government:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...n-mystery.html

This is the fastest way to lose elections in Canada. You'd think political parties would have this figured out by now.
Posted that a few posts up, and quoted my favorite part where McKay says all other shipbuilding experts who say this is a huge over-payment are wrong...no details just that they are wrong. Way to go Peter!

Old
05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Posted that a few posts up, and quoted my favorite part where McKay says all other shipbuilding experts who say this is a huge over-payment are wrong...no details just that they are wrong. Way to go Peter!
Ack, my bad. Looked for it, just overlooked it.

Wel, this kind of boondoggle can't get too much attention I guess. What a ****show.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Puck
Ninja

By reading that article, it seems like the whistleblower in this case is a shipping sub-contractor. They would be concerned for their own share of the contracts if the main contractor's own costs are rising above normal.

What seems to be coming apparent is that the government's public-sector oversight mechanism isn't experienced or smart enough to keep a watchful eye over the sly private-sector contractor to keep them from padding costs and inserting hidden fees. That isn't necessarily an indication of corruption at the government level, it is indicative of the public sector not having the proper auditing controls over the project. Unless they break down those supposed design costs quickly and transparently to explain the sudden increases, the government is evidently going to take another hit on its 'good managers' byline.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle11691451/

Old
05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I take stuff like this with a grain of salt right now. We are still far from an election and things can change a lot in that time.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Cons at 28%

I have no idea why anyone outside of Alberta would support Harper . His only agenda is to keep his job and open up markets for his oil buddies .

Old
05-04-2013, 03:40 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
The left would be wise to merge. On a vote for vote basis the left had more votes in the last elections. But I'm not sure i'd like a 2 party system.

On the other hand, hopefully the grass movement of the wild rose extends beyond Alberta in the political landscape and splits the right. That would even things up, even though they're tea party extremists...

Old
05-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The left would be wise to merge. On a vote for vote basis the left had more votes in the last elections. But I'm not sure i'd like a 2 party system.

On the other hand, hopefully the grass movement of the wild rose extends beyond Alberta in the political landscape and splits the right. That would even things up, even though they're tea party extremists...
Grass movement?

Is that not the Alberta Marijuana Party?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Albert...18641244825113

Old
05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Grass movement?

Is that not the Alberta Marijuana Party?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Albert...18641244825113
They could steal my vote if they stood for more than marijuana legalization. I guess I shouldn't expect a lot of motivation from pot smokers, eh?

Old
05-07-2013, 06:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Are the conservatives trying to rewrite Canadian history?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...an-istory.html

Quote:
The House of Commons heritage committee has launched a study of how history is preserved in federal, provincial and municipal programs, and how easily Canadians can access historical information.

However, it backed down from a plan to examine how history is taught in schools after a barrage of complaints from the opposition, which had accused the government of intruding on provincial jurisdiction, which includes school curriculum development, and of wanting to revise history in its own image.

The committee began hearing from witnesses for its history study on Monday.

The Conservative-dominated committee, which went behind closed doors last week April 29 to discuss the motion to conduct the study, said it would also "undertake a thorough and comprehensive review" of what it called "significant aspects in Canadian history." The committee wants to hear from people who have first-hand accounts of significant historical periods. It will also invite the CBC, the National Film Board and other broadcasters to discuss their role in promoting Canadian history.

There will be a focus on events such as the Battle of Vimy Ridge, the Battle of Ortona, the Battle of the Atlantic, the Korean conflict as well as peacekeeping missions, the suffragette movement, constitutional development, the Afghanistan conflict, and Canada since the early 20th century.
Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Irving has come out to try and defend the price of the contract to design Canada's new arctic ships. But they don't really make anything more transparent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...ract-cost.html

Quote:
During an interview with Information Morning on CBC Radio in Halifax to "provide background" on the contract, Irving's vice-chairman and interim president Ross Langley said this was a "classic case of comparing apples to oranges."

"The scope of the work that we're doing under this definition contract – which is much broader than a design contract –involves much more than what has been described by the CBC as preparing blueprints," Langley said.

He said the 3-D modelling involved with this contract is "much beyond blueprint preparation" and involves "designing all the spaces on the ship" to ensure the ship is built efficiently and to world-class standards. Irving's contract also includes down payments for "long-lead items" like engines and radar.

Irving will also be building a section of the ship under the scope of this contract, he said.

While acknowledging that other shipbuilding design contracts around the world would also include 3-D modelling, Langley noted that the example cited by the CBC to compare the cost of this contract, the Norwegian coast guard ship KV Svalbard, "was entered into in the late 1990s."

"We don't believe it is the same scope as the work we're doing," Langley said in the radio interview. In a second interview outside the studio, he added that "it's very difficult to try to compare our program and other programs when we don't have on the table the exact scope of work for each of those programs and how many ships they involved."
Quote:
Although the final price will not be made public because it involves "competitive" industry information, Langley noted that Irving is committed to transparency for this contract and will be audited regularly.

Irving participated in a competitive bid process during which an international team of independent experts agreed on the company's approach to the work involved in this contract, he said.

In response to the CBC's analysis, the company took out full-page newspaper ads in selected Canadian newspapers on Saturday, headlined "Setting the record straight" about the AOPS contract.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay has suggested that Canada is prepared to pay a "premium" for its new ships in order to rebuild and support its domestic shipbuilding industry.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05..._hp_ref=canada

So yeah, Harper was spending tax dollars for the purpose of keeping an eye on his backbenchers. I like how he knows every personal detail about his backbenchers but doesn't know where the $3.1 Billion is.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:13 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordski View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05..._hp_ref=canada

So yeah, Harper was spending tax dollars for the purpose of keeping an eye on his backbenchers. I like how he knows every personal detail about his backbenchers but doesn't know where the $3.1 Billion is.
Not at all surprised, it's how things work with Overlord Harper.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:52 PM
gnr25

One of my co-workers received a recorded phone message in Arabic from Saddam Hussein. It urged her not to talk with liberals or something like that. Anyone know anything about this?

So there may be Saddam robocalls out there.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr25 View Post
One of my co-workers received a recorded phone message in Arabic from Saddam Hussein. It urged her not to talk with liberals or something like that. Anyone know anything about this?

So there may be Saddam robocalls out there.
So Saddam calling from paradise (Jennah)... what did he have to say about the 72 virgins (houri)?

Old
05-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
ممتاز
(excellent)

Old
05-10-2013, 06:55 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
So Saddam calling from paradise (Jennah)... what did he have to say about the 72 virgins (houri)?
I don't think he is considered a martyr so likely didn't get any.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:59 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Harper government still treading water and being shifty about the money being poured into the design of ice breakers for Canada's North.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...lic-works.html

Quote:
After Alexander's comments, CBC News asked the government to provide the costing information he referred to.

On Tuesday, an official told CBC that the department was "working on" the request and asked, "Could you please indicate your deadline for those questions?"

Given a deadline of 3 p.m., the department waited until it passed before declaring that a reply was still not available and asking if it would still be of interest the following day.

When the CBC answered in the affirmative, Wednesday passed with no reply.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Answer to Senate Reform - RECEIPTS!

Quote:
“There’s no more of the honour system around this place,” said Conservative Senate Leader Marjory LeBreton. “When senators put in their expense accounts, and sign their name to it, it has to be accompanied by the appropriate receipt.”

Evidently, by Senate standards, this constitutes major reform. Canadians can be forgiven for not cheering.

Closed Thread