HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if Yzerman had been traded?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
What if Yzerman had been traded?

On February 26th, 1996, Detroit Red Wings co-GM Jim Devellano sent in a trade to league offices. The trade was as follows:

To Detroit: C Alexei Yashin, G Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's 1996 1st pick (Chris Phillips), Ottawa's 1997 1st pick (Marian Hossa)

To Ottawa: C Steve Yzerman, G Chris Osgood

Before the trade was made official, Devellano contacted league offices and vetoed it.

What if Devellano hadn't done that? How would history have been altered?

Last edited by pdd: 02-28-2013 at 02:22 PM.
pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to this?

As for the question, hard to say, but either Detroit dodged a bullet or we think a lot higher of Alexei Yashin than we do now.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
begbeee

It would not hurt Detroit as much and from previous thread there is a conclusion that Detroit would be the best place for Yashin. His career would have been so different.
Wings would have two bonafide russian centers Yashin and Fedorov, good stay-at-home defensman and the picture is completed with young Hossa.

Don't know what kind of impact would have been Rhodes / Osgood swap. Osgood is definitely better than Rhodes, yet hope noone in Detroit would think about Rhodes in long run.

This trade would be win for Wings, not sure if Yzerman would be enough for Senators to win it all, especially with Philliphs and Hossa gone.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to this?

As for the question, hard to say, but either Detroit dodged a bullet or we think a lot higher of Alexei Yashin than we do now.
http://www.the6thsens.com/2009-artic...to-ottawa.html

Old
02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
blamebettman*

This trade wouldn't have done Ottawa much good. I doubt they go any further in 1997 or 1998...Yzerman was still a good player but on the wrong side of 30 and no longer a dominant scorer

I don't think Yzerman would've finished the decade with Ottawa. They would've traded him to a contender that needed C depth in the late 90's. St. Louis or Edmonton perhaps

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:56 PM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

Interesting to see Yashin in Detroit. If Bowman had troubles with Yzerman's style of play, Yashin may have given him a heart attack.

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
silkyjohnson50

Also begs the question as to if it would have have an effect on Detroit's future development, particularly Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Would they have had the same 2-way development if it were Yashin rather than Yzerman?

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I see "According to legend" in that article. Am I missing something?

Although I've also heard about a potential Yzerman/Yashin trade at that time.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
davebenj

Detroit would take a major hit. I don't care how well Yashin might have played if he went to Detroit. Yzerman was so much better than Yashin.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:27 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Also begs the question as to if it would have have an effect on Detroit's future development, particularly Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Would they have had the same 2-way development if it were Yashin rather than Yzerman?
Zetterberg, particularly, was considered an excellent two-way player before he joined the Wings. I shudder to think about what Yashin might had done to Datsyuk...

Alternatively, this trade would have put Yashin with Fedorov, Kozlov, Konstantinov, Fetisov, and Larionov. You have to think that the older guys in that group would straighten Yashin out. Also, not being #1 might prevent Yashin's ego from growing to excessive proportions.

I think Vernon likely ends up staying in Detroit, and Rhodes was returning only so that Detroit had an NHL-caliber backup goalie for Vernon.

The wild card part of the trade is the picks; Detroit likely still would have ended up with Phillips in 1996, but Ottawa probably does significantly better in 1997. 1996-97 was easily Rhodes' worst season (he posted a .890, compared with Osgood's .910), and Yashin scored 75 points that year while Yzerman scored 85. Hossa went to Ottawa at the 12th pick. If the trade happens, Detroit is lucky he's still there when they pick around 17-20. If not, maybe Brenden Morrow?

Old
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I don't think they win the Cup without Yzerman. Now I don't mean to discredit Yashin and his talents, but he doesn't have the same attitude or leadership qualities that Yzerman brought to the Wings.

While the article cites Yzerman's issues adapting to Bowman's style, he did eventually buy into Bowman's system and it resulted in three Stanley Cups (and a Selke Trophy for Yzerman in 2000).

I don't know how a Red Wings team led by Yashin and Fedorov would have responded to the physical battles the Wings endured against the Blues, Avalanche, etc. Let's also not forget of Fedorov's holdout in 1997-98 and how the Wings carried on for most of the season with Yzerman steering the ship. The Wings could have had their hands full in trying to keep Yashin satisfied, and who knows if they would have had to endure a season long lockout with Yashin as well seeing how they already dealt with one with Fedorov.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Big Phil

Do we really need to pull out Yashin's playoff stats to make a point here? Yzerman was 31 at the time and I would take a 31 year old Yzerman vs. any other time in Yashin's career. I'd do that without even blinking. Yashin was a selfish and gutless player and we saw this time and time again with him. Give me Stevie Y, the rest of you can deal with the drama queen

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:35 AM
toob

Quote:
Very unlikely that this legend is based in fact for several reasons. Mainly the trade rumors happened before/early in the 95/96 ssn and after when Bowman was booed roundly Yzerman was cheered heavily during home opener the rumors stopped. That was October 95. February 96 is ridiculously late.

Also from what ive read Senators did not want to trade Yashin at all and Sens also wanted part of Yzerman's salary paid by Detroit. However these are rumors themselves.

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
With Yashin, am I the only one that thinks him having Sergei Fedorov, who I think was severely underrated for his leadership abilities, and all the other Russians to keep him in his place would have been a major positive as far as making him a better player on and off the ice?

I think he would have been in much more trouble pulling the **** he did in Ottawa if he has all those guys around him getting pissed off.

As for Yzerman, I think he's being somewhat underrated as well as far as what he did in the later 90s. I tend to agree that, with no Hossa or Phillips, they probably don't quite become the regular season powerhouse that they did, but he would have brought instant respectability to that franchise, and who know if he might have even been able to at least make Daigle a serviceable player.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

i've heard the argument that yashin developed into a total me-first player because ottawa kept jerking him around early on. low-balling him come contract time while opening the vault to daigle, trading away kudelski (who yashin turned into a 40 goal scorer), giving daigle every opportunity to be the team's number one center at yashin's expense. i don't know if it was even yashin's sense of entitlement at this time, so much as not being given what he'd earned while watching the golden boy, who by many accounts wasn't even that serious about hockey, being handed what he'd earned.

what if he goes to detroit, gets mentored by larionov and fetisov, understands his role as a 1b center with fedorov? it's not certain, but yashin was a big guy, was trained as a center in the soviet system so he should at least know the fundamentals of strong defensive play, he didn't have modano's speed, but maybe he could have been a rich man's sundin? the offensive skill was certainly there.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 446
Quote:
On February 26th, 1996, Detroit Red Wings co-GM Jim Devellano sent in a trade to league offices. The trade was as follows:

To Detroit: C Alexei Yashin, G Damian Rhodes, Ottawa's 1996 1st pick (Chris Phillips), Ottawa's 1997 1st pick (Marian Hossa)

To Ottawa: C Steve Yzerman, G Chris Osgood

Before the trade was made official, Devellano contacted league offices and vetoed it.

What if Devellano hadn't done that? How would history have been altered?
link please

The only trade that is on record was when detroit was trying to get Gretzky from the oilers

there is a flaw to what you have just posted. If teams agree to a deal and send the paper work in, the team has to explain why they have changed their mind and the league has to agree to nuke the deal. It is not just calling up and saying "Oh, i have changed my mind," The second team would have also sent in the paper work and it would have taken more then a change of mind to nuke the deal

03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 446
Quote:
sorry, not buying it from a fan blog site

being one of the grey beards around here and have been a hockey junkie my entire life--if Yzerman had been traded and then the trade nuked--it would have been huge news

because the sens would have been pissed

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Big Phil

I can't imagine even why Yzerman would be traded at this time. The Red Wings were statistically far and away the best team in the NHL. They broke the 1977 Habs' record for most wins. Why do you even touch a team like that in the first place? Let them roll. Sure they lost to Colorado eventually in 1996 but no one knew that in February.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Do we really need to pull out Yashin's playoff stats to make a point here? Yzerman was 31 at the time and I would take a 31 year old Yzerman vs. any other time in Yashin's career. I'd do that without even blinking. Yashin was a selfish and gutless player and we saw this time and time again with him. Give me Stevie Y, the rest of you can deal with the drama queen
Yashin only played 48 playoff games. Not exactly a huge sample.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Kresnik

Well I think the red wing was infiltrated by comies at the time which explain why they were so many Russians on the team.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I think Ottawa definitely wins this trade. We don't know if the Sens would do poorly enough with Yzerman such that they would be in the position to draft guys like Phillips and Hossa.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
Well I think the red wing was infiltrated by comies at the time which explain why they were so many Russians on the team.
And look at the name of the team. Why "Red" Wings? I guess James Norris had a secret agenda when he rebranded the franchise. 1932? Well, everbody knows about communist infiltration of the United States in the 1930s...

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Darth Joker

Long-term, this trade would have badly hurt both teams.

It probably would have cost Detroit a Stanley Cup or two, and it would have cost Ottawa Hossa, Phillips, and two rather important players that they would later get for Yashin - Spezza and Chara.

It's hard to think of where Ottawa would be today if they had never gained Spezza, Hossa, Phillips, or Chara.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 PM
mrhockey193195

This the first time that I've heard that a trade was formally submitted to the league on a specific date...we all remember the rumors of an Yzerman-for-Yashin trade. If Osgood was actually supposed to be involved, and this trade was made earlier in the season and Osgood goes to OTT, I wonder if that forces the Wings to up their efforts to make the trade for Roy instead of Colorado.

Though I guess Detroit had Vernon that season, so maybe it wouldn't have made a difference.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Giacomin

Wow! This trade was rumored for years

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote