HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Toronto-Anaheim Star Swap

Old
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Hotlanta

vCash: 500
Toronto-Anaheim Star Swap

To Toronto: Perry

To Anaheim: Kessel

*If Perry does not want to sign in Anaheim*, I believe this would be their best bet too re-coup some of their loses without going into rebuild mode. Kessel should be able to match Perry's production playing with Getzlaf, who I believe will re-sign.

This gives Toronto a player who lived in Carlyle's system for 7 years and was shocked when he lost his coach back in 2011. In addition, it allows Toronto to trade Kessel for a piece, if re-signed, that does not put the team back a couple years in development and brings playoff experience to the table.

This will also give Burke an opportunity to finally showcase Kessel with an elite #1 Center.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Beer Me

vCash: 191
Ryan-Getzlaf-Kessel would be a pretty filthy line. Getzlaf and Ryan would open up alot skating room for Kessel and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a consistent 40 goal scorer at all. Playing alongside those two players is excactly the type of grit Kessel needs to surround himself with to make up for his sometimes soft plays on the puck.

Having said that, I doubt Toronto would make this trade based soley on the unknown. How much will Perry cost to lock up long term? Will Perry be happy playing in Toronto with all the media? Would that affect his performance on the ice? I highly doubt it would (Perry is a gamer) but you never know. I think Kessel is more happy playing in Toronto, then Perry ever would IMO.

Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:37 PM
crkkh

Would certainly be an idea for Toronto...puts an end to all the Kessel negatives...acquires the type of physical winger that will be imperative in our division to compete with Boston...a good swap of offensive abilities...
Anahiem gets an elite offensive weapon to replace Perry...with another year on his contract...

I wonder if a sign/trade would be possible for Perry and/or Kessel to max out term for each player and insure that the trade benefits each team for the future?.

crkkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
It's not bad, but I think the Ducks would want a cheaper player who's not going to be UFA in a year.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

I'd rather have Perry.

Not having a contract makes this pretty fair, although its not a risk I see the leafs making.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

The no contract thing is a pretty big risk.

I wonder if Perry liked playing for RC?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:48 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Why would we trade a player we have under contract going forward and who has repeatedly said he wants to retire a Leaf for an impending UFA?
We are a playoff bubble team even after that trade. What if Perry walks away in the summer?

We have enough money and cap space for both if Perry wants to come here we can throw a offer at him as a UFA if he doesn't then its pretty stupid to trade our best player who is only 25 for him.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
TOGuy14

Toronto gets an upgrade for sure, but I don't know if any GM would want to make a gamble that big and potentially end up with no top line RW next year...

Perry would have to be open to signing an extension with us.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Toronto gets an upgrade for sure, but I don't know if any GM would want to make a gamble that big and potentially end up with no top line RW next year...

Perry would have to be open to signing an extension with us.
If the cost is Kessel wait and try and get him in July. We have the cap space. If the Ducks wanted a reasonable offer than try a trade.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Ruki

If Perry would for sure sign with us to a not-cap-crippling contract, I would do this.

Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Anth93

Fair risk, I wonder how Kessel and Ryan get along? Kessel will need a close friend wherever he goes, if he has that in Anaheim (where he can hide from the media).. He'd thrive.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
MuchoMacho

This is intriguing. I don't think I'd have the nerves to pull the trigger on it though.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I'd rather have Perry.

Not having a contract makes this pretty fair, although its not a risk I see the leafs making.
This is the type of risk that teams just don't take.

Kessel has a year remaining on his contract, he's settled in Toronto making him more likely to prefer remaining here. Corey Perry may be the better player, but you don't trade Kessel for what could be a couple months of Corey Perry.

The only way a deal of this nature could even be contemplated, is if Perry was to pre-negotiate an extension with Toronto... at which point there's room for the Leafs to value Perry higher than Kessel (and they may need to move him anyways), while Anaheim would obviously value Kessel higher than Perry. There should be room for Anaheim to add; as well.

edit: That being said, I think the ONLY way the Leafs even get into the Perry sweepstakes is if he's prepared to sign prior to being traded here. The wing is the least of the issues for the Leafs, iit's not worth upsetting the balance and chemistry the Leafs have in that group, and certainly not parting with the significant young assets they'd have to in order to do so, only to end up battling with 29 other teams to sign him come July.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-28-2013 at 05:52 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:47 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
The no contract thing is a pretty big risk.

I wonder if Perry liked playing for RC?
He did, h won the Hart while playing for him

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Quack

As a Ducks fan I would do this, but I don't think a rental player is going to get you Phil Kessel.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Exit Dose

Is there any reason to think that the Leafs organization has actually soured on Kessel? I've seen a few panicky fans, but that's not something that warrants this sort of speculation.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Is there any reason to think that the Leafs organization has actually soured on Kessel? I've seen a few panicky fans, but that's not something that warrants this sort of speculation.
Beyond the fact that he hasn't scored much, instead seeing JvR pick up a lot of the goals? not really.

You could likely make the case that is reason to sour on him, but the same thing has happened with Corey Perry this year, plus Perry's a guy who negotiations obviously aren't going well with.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:07 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
No, not at all. But people (Toronto media) have suggested trading him since Burke left to start fresh. Perry signed to a long term contract would be perfect for ending the Kessel vs Seguin/Hamilton talk. If it's Perry without an extension, it has the potential for disaster with Seguin/Hamilton/Knight for _____________.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Beyond the fact that he hasn't scored much, instead seeing JvR pick up a lot of the goals? not really.

You could likely make the case that is reason to sour on him, but the same thing has happened with Corey Perry this year, plus Perry's a guy who negotiations obviously aren't going well with.
Negotiations haven't started. Murray is meeting with his people in the next few days. That other thread appears to be ********.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
waitin425

I would take the all around better player who just happens to own a Hart trophy, an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup.

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
No speculation, just a proposal.

I love Kessel (haven't soured on him at all), I have his jersey and I would love to keep him and sign Perry in the offseason if possible but I am not sure that is completely realistic. I think this is a trade that would lead to both players thriving in the opposing coach's systems. But yes, you guys are right about the risk, Perry would have to have no interest in staying in Anaheim and be willing to pre-negotiate with the Leafs for the future to make this fair.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Hainzy58

Send a message via AIM to Hainzy58 Send a message via MSN to Hainzy58 Send a message via Yahoo to Hainzy58 Send a message via Skype™ to Hainzy58
Personally would keep Kessel and try to go after Perry at the deadline for someone worth a bit less to this team and a prospect.

Hainzy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Why would we trade a player we have under contract going forward and who has repeatedly said he wants to retire a Leaf for an impending UFA?
We are a playoff bubble team even after that trade. What if Perry walks away in the summer?

We have enough money and cap space for both if Perry wants to come here we can throw a offer at him as a UFA if he doesn't then its pretty stupid to trade our best player who is only 25 for him.
Not saying I don't believe you, but do you have a link?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainzy58 View Post
Personally would keep Kessel and try to go after Perry at the deadline for someone worth a bit less to this team and a prospect.
And you would be outbid.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:19 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Not saying I don't believe you, but do you have a link?
A couple weeks ago his agent said so in an interview. I don't know of anything directly from Kessel.

Last edited by MuchoMacho: 02-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.