HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames offer sheet Ryan O'Reilly [2 years/5m AAV] [1st + 3rd Compensation]

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Halpysback*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
except O'Reilly isnt a #1 Center. He's just that on the Flames.
He may well be the way Zajac is.

Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
What incentive would ROR have to sign that?
Be assured of $25M rather than $6.5 if he suffers a serious injury which diminishes his value or ends his career.

Old
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
except O'Reilly isnt a #1 Center. He's just that on the Flames.
He was top 30 in points for centermen last year as a 21 yearold I will take my chances he keeps getting better.

Old
Hab-a-maniac

If Calgary's good at one thing of late, it's high impact moves everyone loves that fall flat on their face: Bouwmeester was supposed to make them a Cup contender. He's been a dud. Picking up Jokinen was supposed to make them elite too. It's always the ones that go under the radar that work: ie signing Tanguay for nothing, Glencross as a UFA. I expect ROR can't live up to that contract. What can it do at best? Make the Flames an 8th seed team. Oh I see, so you can replicate 2004 right? Uh don't think so. More like replicate 2007.

And in the end you've given away a high draft pick potentially. The impatience in Calgary is problematic. This isn't a move you make when you've been out of the playoffs for three years, it's when you've been out in the first round for three years, ie. this kinda move would've been solid for them in 2008. They need the picks more than ever. But no, content to continually grab for 8th and revive memories of the good ol days when Anaheim, Detroit, San Jose and Chicago ousted them in the first round. Avs don't make out like bandits totally. That pick would still have to be developed right and ROR leaving puts a hole in their future a bit.

Old
hotshot1

In my eyes this is good news. I don't think he's worth 5m/year at all.

I hope the Avs don't match and get the picks, then I hope the Lames tank and end up losing a top 10 pick in the draft, then I hope the Avs waste the pick on a bust, then I hope he leaves for greener pastures, with Calgary getting 2 non-playoff years while spending $10m on someone not worth that amount.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
7 days to match, and yes, they MUST be YOUR OWN picks for this yrs draft
wasn't it 9 days to match?

Old
02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Captain Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
They could choose arbitration instead of a QO, but yeah that's ugly.
Team's can only take a player to arbitration once. He'd also be guaranteed to receive at least 5.5 mil from the arbitrator.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:47 PM
nucksfan8888

For this season in a vacuum, it makes sense. This is probably the best year for them to try and make a run with Iginla due to the shortened season its the freshest Iginla could be for the playoffs.

Also ROR fits that team like a glove with rest of the centers they have. Even if he plays at a 40 point pace this season he is a guy who takes all of the hard matchups with Iginla and Tanguay, it allows the rest of the team to play their roles as offensive players.

Looking at the longterm though, it has the potential to be horrible for the flames. If ROR doesn't continue to develop an stays as a 50 point center, they have to sign him for 6.5 million as everyone has mentioned. Adding salt to the wound would be if they don't make the playoffs this year and Colorado picks up an impact player with the 1st.

IMO it's a gamble, and not a smart one.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:48 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Explain to me how this makes me look stupid?

I stated he's a solid 2nd line centre that the Flames are going to pay and use him as there 1st line centre

Smart move Feaster smart move

There is such a thing called the Salary cap????
Ryan Kesler - 5M cap hit
Mike Richards - 5.75M cap hit

Nobody is pretending those two are #1 centres. The Flames aren't that stupid, they know O'Reilly is a nice piece but every team needs their #1 centre and I'm sure they realize that.

Either you get your Sedin/Kopitar or you do a sort of Begeron/Krejci thing they do in Boston. Feaster won his Cup with Lecavalier and Richards as his top 2 centres, and his second-in-command John Weisbrod went to Harvard. As much as I'd like to see them fail, these aren't a bunch of idiots walking around. There's also a heavy, heavy involvement from ownership and Ken King in daily decision making that you don't hear about every day.

Old
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Lol at people saying Yay the Avs get a lottery pick... ROR is how you HOPE Sean Monahan turns out and he's a top 10 projected pick.
Best Case: Flames suck you end up with a great pick
Likely Case: You end up with a decent prospect you hope ends up similar to O'Reilly like you said.

Worse case: They make the playoffs, you got screwed.

All is better than paying him 6.5 mill at one point. I feel like the only sane person in the loony bin right now. Avs fans actually want to pay him that much money? What do you with Varly, Lando, Duchene? ... I'm in SHOCK he's actually getting his money. I know Avalanche fans pump his tires crazy and want tons of value back, which even I thought was kinda funny .. but seriously this contract has potential to be really funny.

Old
Tralfamadore
Don't Panic.

I hate when people try to use Ryan's first two season to undermine his value. He was 18-19 and 19-20 during those seasons and played a very good 2-way game. Colorado won't match but will wait the 7 days. Avs scouting has their work cut out for them Calgary's pick will be in the 6-12 range. See you later Ryan I'm glad your gone I want this drama over with.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
I canvassed execs on 5 NHL teams. 4 believed Colorado would match, 1 figured Avs would take the picks...

Interesting.

Old
bigbadbruins7

wow was not expecting to see this when i got out of class. I really thought someone would make a trade for him. If the avalanche dont match it the flames are one of the teams i would want him to go to. would also love to see the avalanche have potentially two top 10 picks.

I know there was alot of backlash for Holmgren among GMs when he offer sheeted Weber. Do you think that there will be as much for Feaster or do you think because this has dragged on other GMs will look differently at this?

Old
WornWithPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He was top 30 in points for centermen last year as a 21 yearold I will take my chances he keeps getting better.
So on points alone, he's the 30th best first line center. Franchise player indeed

Old
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I believe they can negotiate a different return from the flames though. If the flames agree to it.
Sort of. They can't undo the offer sheet--once it's filed Colorado can either take the picks or match. If they match then ROR can't be traded this season.

The teams could agree to a separate trade in which the Flames got their picks back for other players, or they could make a one-sided trade offer to Colorado not to match.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Watch them troll Calgary and wait a full week before giving an answer

Old
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He was a #2 center on the avalanche as well. He's another Kesler. He's fine if not playing the other team's top Center but if the Flames are relying him to be a #1 center, i'm not so sure that's a great idea.

He's not a solid passer or playmaker. Usually #1 centers have those attributes. Atleast good #1 centers.

Wasnt Jokinen top 30 in points in centers last year for you guys too?

Old
rockinghockey

I hate CGY but a good move from them.

If COL resigns him then they have to qualify him at 6.5mil and what they went through this year he would hold that against them. I am sure he will sign an extension with CGY for a 5mil cap hit on a multi deal.

I hope COL waits the week then by the time RoR gets in he is rusty and CGY takes a nose dive and COL gets a top 5 pick. I hope EDM wins the lottery though lol.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
He was a #2 center on the avalanche as well. He's another Kesler. He's fine if not playing the other team's top Center but if the Flames are relying him to be a #1 center, i'm not so sure that's a great idea.

He's not a solid passer or playmaker. Usually #1 centers have those attributes. Atleast good #1 centers.

Wasnt Jokinen top 30 in points in centers last year for you guys too?
I dont see why they wouldnt match.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
I canvassed execs on 5 NHL teams. 4 believed Colorado would match, 1 figured Avs would take the picks...

Interesting.
Who hasn't matched so far?
Burke on Penner. Anyone else?
I think most GM's feel that they have to match in order to send a message. My gut says that they match.

Old
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
Best Case: Flames suck you end up with a great pick
Likely Case: You end up with a decent prospect you hope ends up similar to O'Reilly like you said.

Worse case: They make the playoffs, you got screwed.

All is better than paying him 6.5 mill at one point. I feel like the only sane person in the loony bin right now. Avs fans actually want to pay him that much money? What do you with Varly, Lando, Duchene? ... I'm in SHOCK he's actually getting his money. I know Avalanche fans pump his tires crazy and want tons of value back, which even I thought was kinda funny .. but seriously this contract has potential to be really funny.
The point is the AVS will have to pay him 6.5M if they match, I would seriously bet O'Reilly gets extended for term before his QO is up. It's one of the reasons Calgary made the deal I'm pretty sure.

Old
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan

Ryan O'Reilly is not worth 6.5M/year. Take the picks please. Possibility of two top 15 picks in a very deep draft. Plus, O'Reilly hasn't played hockey in nearly a month and he doesn't know anything about the Flames' system or players. By the time he's back in the groove of playing high intensity NHL-level hockey on a brand new team with new teammates it might be too late for Calgary to move into a play-off spot. Not to mention paying him 6.5M a season just isn't realistic right now. He's good, but he's not 6.5 million good imo.

Old
roon

6.5 mil in the second year for a solid 3C on any decent team?

I guess.

Old
Nalens Oga
Hth

vCash: 1963
If a 1st + 3rd is the only compensation to an RFA signed to a $5 M cap hit then there's something seriously wrong with the CBA. That's a loop hole basically.

Old
caliamad

I don't like this for calgary because it is only 2 years, 3-5 would have been great. I also don't think this makes that big a difference for them... maybe I'm wrong. They'll far from a lock to hit the postseason after this trade.

I don't like this for Colorado because if they let him walk, they set a precedent (we don't pay to keep our players even though we can afford them) and ROR may help Calgary to a point where these picks are less valuable than what they could have gotten in a trade.

If Colorado matches, they now have a disgruntled employee who can leave at the end of next year, and they have to wait 1 year to trade him (as an impending UFA).

ROR probably wants to go to Calgary but even if he stays in Colorado and puts up good numbers he will be ok shape in 2 years.

Closed Thread