HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames offer sheet Ryan O'Reilly [2 years/5m AAV] [1st + 3rd Compensation]

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
WornWithPride

vCash: 500
Execs prolly know what Sherman was asking for, and it was probably way more than 1 + 3 picks. They figure no way he takes this

Old
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

can u trade a player after you match the offer?

Old
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 50
Whats amazing, and I am sure it has been mentioned, is they are playing tonight. Perfect timing.

Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Can someone explain to me the Qualify Offer bit next year? Calgary has the option to qualify him for one year for 6+ million and then he's UFA after that or ?

Old
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
not for 1 full year.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
It's human nature. They feel cheated on.
I don't think any Avs fan thought he was worth 5M at all. Which is the whole reason the hold out even happened. We just can't believe there's a GM out there desperate enough to actually throw that much money at O'Reilly.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
Execs prolly know what Sherman was asking for, and it was probably way more than 1 + 3 picks. They figure no way he takes this
Remember, this a 1st round pick from Calgary.. in a deep draft.. where all non-playoff teams are technically in the lottery for the #1 overall.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Not for a calendar year.

Good point made on Sportsnet. If Calgary gets him, they can already start on the extension this off-season.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
Old
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Can someone explain to me the Qualify Offer bit next year? Calgary has the option to qualify him for one year for 6+ million and then he's UFA after that or ?
calgary has to qualify him at a minimum of 6.5mil. He would be UFA eligible in 2 years after that or if CGY doesnt qualify him.

Old
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Nope, not for 1 year. That's why Colorado mishandled this, basically leaving it open for someone to tie their hands.

Old
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
Don't lump us all together. I would have loved to been in the meetings where he made his case that he was worth 5 mill a season.
You're right, not all of you. I actually hate it when other people generalize. I have actually seen few Avs fans post and maintain they're view after this, but they're in the minority.

Old
Krishna

Quote:
QO offer means thats what he has to be offered for his team to retain his RFA rights if there isn't a deal in place by the time FA opens that summer.

With his salary being 6.5m, his QO must be 6.5m. If his team doesn't offer him that much, he becomes a UFA

TheHudlinator

Quote:
Next year he is singed the year after if he is unsigned he has to offered 6.5 million for one year to keep him a RFA or else he becomes a UFA.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:00 PM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
Pretty much word for word how I felt about the Kessel deal when the Leafs pulled the trigger.

An aging team with mediocre talent with very little in the prospect cupboard.

Seems like a very similiar situation.

Im still on the fence about that trade. Kessel has been good as we all know but it will take years to see who truly won this trade.

This reminds me of that trade in so many ways, the Leafs were supposed to be either in the playoffs or nipping at them, instead tanked all the way down to #2.

Is it possible Calgary could fall that far in the coming weeks? Not likely, but then again we weren't supposed to either.

Its a crapshoot when your team sucks. I feel for you guys.

I dont think its that bad. And the flames arent a team that "sucks". I get what your saying, but look at the leafs this year. Once again competing and playing pretty impressive hockey with a much improved team without doing the complete overhaul. Look at the canadians, same thing, senators. None of these teams played the edmonton game and sold off everything in order to "suck" and cheep their way into consistant top picks. Its entirely possible to become competitive again without the rebuild hfboards is so in love with.

Honestly i feel like the flames are in a better position then the leafs and canadians were when they were struggling. Aging core? sure. A better aging core then the leafs and canadians had during their struggles for the time being. Theres also alot of time before that happens and NOBODY can predict what happens in that time. Free agency, trades. Lots of options. Meanwhile Calgary continues to slowly build a younger group of up and comers still. Ottawa is in a great postion too with their young group of prospects.

6 years from now looking at what calgary has without making any changes.

forwards: O'Reily, glencross, cammy, beartschi, backlund, cervenka maybe throw hudler into that group and then guys with serious potential like gaudreau and jankowski. alot of people would scoff at that group, but theres alot of time to tinker with it and add more peices.

defence: bowmeester, giordano, brodie. Bowmeester is turning into the player that we all hoped he would be and im happy having him anchor our blueline. Giordano will be fine and brodie is turning into a legit top 4. then theres seiloff who could turn into a regehr type guy with slightly more mobility.

goaltenders: Ramo, broissant, gillies and if they havent given up on him.....irving. calgarys strength when it comes to prospects is goaltending and at least one of these guys will turn into a legit starting goaltender. A kiprusoff replacment? probably not, but who knows if the team will be relying on our goaltender anymore like we have been the last number of years.

im kinda rambling now and getting off topic, but my point is, its not over for the flames and they can easily become competitive again without the hfboards encouraged "suck and rebuild" method. theres a reason we are all posting on this board and not running an nhl team. the same reason most people on here feel the easy way is the only way.

and yes, thank you feaster for finally getting us that young top 6 center weve been dieing for all these years.

Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
If the Flames want to keep him for longer he has to be qualified at 6.5 for his next contract lol. O'Reilly is making AT MINIMUM 6.5 million dollars a year until he hits UFA.
False.

Old
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
I canvassed execs on 5 NHL teams. 4 believed Colorado would match, 1 figured Avs would take the picks...

Interesting.
I they'll match too. Can't let other teams **** you out of principle. Worst case he ends up being 1.5m overpaid, deal with that. They've got 3 years to smooth things over.

Old
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 3434
I changed my mind. Screw Cgy. They're an incompetent organization and I expect that to be a top 6-10 pick. If we have two picks in the top 10 then more chances of winning the lottery. Screw O'Reilly, he's never gonna be a 6.5 M player. I hope we take the compensation, get two top 10 picks, and offer sheet Baertschi or Brodie or any other Flames prospect when the time comes.

Duchene, Landeskog, and Stastny are the way forward.

Old
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Remember, this a 1st round pick from Calgary.. in a deep draft.. where all non-playoff teams are technically in the lottery for the #1 overall.
It is believed to have a fairly good drop off around the 10th pick, if we get passed that and its all good.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The Avs obviously still value him, given what they were asking for him, so it's not like they hate the player. They can match it, and then tell everyone whose up for a contract that they had nothing to do with negotiating it.

If they match, Stastny is a goner, no doubt.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Hmmm.....yeah no.
Hope you didn't use up the last of your brain cells coming up with that one.

This draft is stacked. There are going to be second round selections that would be first rounders in other years. Most are saying it's at least as deep as the 03 draft. Hell, the top three prospects could go number one in some years. Add in the fact there's almost always someone that goes between 10-20 who ends up better than half the guys taken before him and my point is pretty clear.

The Flames need youth, and lots of it. Giving it away for a guy who doesn't score goals, and hasn't proven himself yet, isn't smart asset management. But, we're talking about the Flames and Jay Feaster, so this is par for the course.

Old
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I don't think any Avs fan thought he was worth 5M at all. Which is the whole reason the hold out even happened. We just can't believe there's a GM out there desperate enough to actually throw that much money at O'Reilly.
If you have to pay a couple of million extra to acquire him and only give up 2 picks, it's a good move by Calgary. Having said that, the Avs would be completely stupid not to match unless Calgary is willing to give them a nice package.

Old
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Who hasn't matched so far?
Burke on Penner. Anyone else?
I think most GM's feel that they have to match in order to send a message. My gut says that they match.
But that message might screw a team that is made up of mostly future RFA's.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
WornWithPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Don't have to convince me. He's out the door in my books

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
It is believed to have a fairly good drop off around the 10th pick, if we get passed that and its all good.
Its a crap-shoot regardless but there are some nice players in this year's draft

Old
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
That's incorrect actually. The first round is supposed to be solid.

Closed Thread