Notices

offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly

Old
03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Just my 2 cents..but as important as this upcoming draft is to the future of the Flames franchise, wouldn't the owner want to have a new GM and staff in place well in advance of this season ending?

Also, considering how much it appears Feaster came close to botching this, will ownership trust him enough to keep him at the helm the rest of this season when there are so many important decisions that need to be made (ie Iginla, Kipper, Bouewmeester, etc.)?
Brain Burke will be our Gm in a matter of weeks imo.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:24 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Brain Burke will be our Gm in a matter of weeks imo.
i'd be happy for the flames if they get burke as their GM. he'll turn this franchise around in 2-3 years IMO.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Zeroknowledge*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Just my 2 cents..but as important as this upcoming draft is to the future of the Flames franchise, wouldn't the owner want to have a new GM and staff in place well in advance of this season ending?

Also, considering how much it appears Feaster came close to botching this, will ownership trust him enough to keep him at the helm the rest of this season when there are so many important decisions that need to be made (ie Iginla, Kipper, Bouewmeester, etc.)?
Just keep the scouting staff, have them advise the new GM. Eventually he decides if he keeps them or no.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Flames92

Reports are saying that neither COL,CGY, the NHL, or O'Reilly's agent knew about this exception. That doesn't mean we shouldn't blame Feaster for putting the team at risk like that. Even if the Avs didn't match, we would've just not played him till next season. Kind of a **** up but there were alternatives to make it less worse than it was. Im not in any way defending Feaster but I wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet. He's done many good moves for this team since he came in and I don't think this one mistake is enough to simply fire him. Especially since the disaster was avoided.

I think a lot of people on this board are overeacting.. You mean to tell me because of this you no longer trust Feaster to make the right moves for this team? O'Reilly's AGENT overlooked this situation, the NHL overlooked this situation. YES Feaster should've been on top of it but nobody was. So this one mistake is enough for you to completely lose hope in Feaster?

Feaster should be on a short leash no doubt, but questioning the moves he can do in the future over this is just dumb. This was a complete fluke that almost any GM would make. You think if the Avs knew about this they wouldn't reveal it to have leverage on lowballing O'Reilly? They had no clue either. Anyways he doesn't get fired IMO, but his next moves are crucial and will decide if he does in the future.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Absolutely crazy, thank God this didn't happen. I would of been livid. If Feaster is fired, I think Weisbrod will be named the replacement. However, I could see Burke being hired as our owners always like to go after the big names.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Reports are saying that neither COL,CGY, the NHL, or O'Reilly's agent knew about this exception. That doesn't mean we shouldn't blame Feaster for putting the team at risk like that. Even if the Avs didn't match, we would've just not played him till next season. Kind of a **** up but there were alternatives to make it less worse than it was. Im not in any way defending Feaster but I wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet. He's done many good moves for this team since he came in and I don't think this one mistake is enough to simply fire him. Especially since the disaster was avoided.

I think a lot of people on this board are overeacting.. You mean to tell me because of this you no longer trust Feaster to make the right moves for this team? O'Reilly's AGENT overlooked this situation, the NHL overlooked this situation. YES Feaster should've been on top of it but nobody was. So this one mistake is enough for you to completely lose hope in Feaster?

Feaster should be on a short leash no doubt, but questioning the moves he can do in the future over this is just dumb. This was a complete fluke that almost any GM would make. You think if the Avs knew about this they wouldn't reveal it to have leverage on lowballing O'Reilly? They had no clue either. Anyways he doesn't get fired IMO, but his next moves are crucial and will decide if he does in the future.
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
BTW, if COL didn't match and CGY got ROR, CGY would've been obligated to put him on waivers. No provision for paying him not to play.
Visa Svara Retweeta Favoritmarkera Mer
It doesn't matter if nobody else knew about it. The potential consequences alone are too large to possibly overlook this.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

His agents job is to get him money not manage a team, Feaster almost gave away a top 15 (at best/worst) pick for nothing this should cost him his job every day of the week.

I would fire him on the spot and bring in Burke, you simply can't make mistakes like this.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:44 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Absolutely crazy, thank God this didn't happen. I would of been livid. If Feaster is fired, I think Weisbrod will be named the replacement. However, I could see Burke being hired as our owners always like to go after the big names.
Burke would be prefect outside of the Kessel trade he was amazing in TO.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:44 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Burke will not be the GM of the Flames, our ownership is far to meddlesome to let someone like Burke take the reigns.

I would be happy if we hired Burke though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Burke will not be the GM of the Flames, our ownership is far to meddlesome to let someone like Burke take the reigns.

You never know they want a team that wins Burke also values that and seeing the team he built in To might make the owners choose to go with Burke.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
You never know they want a team that wins Burke also values that and seeing the team he built in To might make the owners choose to go with Burke.
Yes but I can see Burke cleaning house this year in that scenario and the ownership won't allow that.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Yes but I can see Burke cleaning house this year in that scenario and the ownership won't allow that.
Lets say in 2-3 weeks we still are bottom of the west, maybe owners see this team blows and Burke comes in and tells them he has a 3 year plan they probably bite.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

The only eway Burke takes the job is if he gets a significant level of autonomy. It was the same way in Toronto.

I doubt these meddlesome owners will go down that route. They'll most likely fire Feaster to placate the fans and then bring in another puppet to do what they want.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Flames92

Quote:
His agents job is to get him money not manage a team, Feaster almost gave away a top 15 (at best/worst) pick for nothing this should cost him his job every day of the week.

I would fire him on the spot and bring in Burke, you simply can't make mistakes like this.
So your gona call Feaster a bad GM over this one mistake? Should I remind you of the Kessel trade? Burke got absolutely destroyed on that trade, and still we all find him a great GM. What about the time Dale Tallon ****ed up on the Versteeg contract? It was all him that built that Stanley cup winning team. These are just a few examples of Good GMs that make some big mistakes. Feaster is a good GM and deserves a second chance.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Lets say in 2-3 weeks we still are bottom of the west, maybe owners see this team blows and Burke comes in and tells them he has a 3 year plan they probably bite.
We can only pray

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
So your gona call Feaster a bad GM over this one mistake? Should I remind you of the Kessel trade? Burke got absolutely destroyed on that trade, and still we all find him a great GM. What about the time Dale Tallon ****ed up on the Versteeg contract? It was all him that built that Stanley cup winning team. These are just a few examples of Good GMs that make some big mistakes. Feaster is a good GM and deserves a second chance.
Kessel - 2 firsts > nothing - 1 first

Again I like what Feaster has done this mistake must cost him his job it is unacceptable to allow him to stay. Burke has proven to be a good drafting GM and a great trading GM (barring the Kessel deal) in all he is a higher level GM and most importantly is cocky enough to put the owners in their place if they try to meddle.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Quote:

Darryl Sutter says hello..

When Sutter was here this show was all his, the owners did not interfere at all when he was running our team into the ground. They have Feaster on a leash because he isn't a hockey guy.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Kessel - 2 firsts > nothing - 1 first
Yes, however we still have our first. Should we of actually lost the first and 3rd for nothing then no doubt he would be fired on the spot. But since it was a situation that was not very obvious and It didn't go through Feaster should get another shot.. He should be on a tight leash but he still should have a shot.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Wow. You guys dodged a bullet yesterday and COMPLETELY by accident. I never was sold on Feaster.

Man. What is his day like today in the office? Glad you guys didn't get pooched on that. This is a good draft year. You will get a decent couple of pieces.

Anyway, peace all. Glad it worked out that you kept your picks.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Yes, however we still have our first. Should we of actually lost the first and 3rd for nothing then no doubt he would be fired on the spot. But since it was a situation that was not very obvious and It didn't go through Feaster should get another shot.. He should be on a tight leash but he still should have a shot.
I don't think Feaster should keep his job because Sherman matched the blunder is the same, we got lucky. I would let Feaster step down with class but if he does not then I would fire him in a week and let Burke or who ever else you want start looking into moving out vets.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
SportsProsperity

Leafs fan here. I come in peace.

The reason the leafs are a playoff team right now is because of Brian Burke. The Kessel trade came around to bite him in the ass because our goaltending failed us that year which led to our 2nd last place finish. At the time the deal was made, the Kessel deal was actually pretty good. He is a great GM and to be honest, if Ron Wilson was not his head coach then Burke would probably still have a job right now.

SportsProsperity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Flames92

Quote:
I don't think Feaster should keep his job because Sherman matched the blunder is the same, we got lucky. I would let Feaster step down with class but if he does not then I would fire him in a week and let Burke or who ever else you want start looking into moving out vets.
I know, it is an absolutely terrible and disgusting mistake.. But at the same time, you can't tell me that you don't think Feaster would do a good job rebuilding this team. Before this whole fiasco he's done all the right things.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I know, it is an absolutely terrible and disgusting mistake.. But at the same time, you can't tell me that you don't think Feaster would do a good job rebuilding this team. Before this whole fiasco he's done all the right things.
My problem is this fiasco > what he has done so far.

I can't accept this mistake, Colorado hasn't filled paperwork yet they could not match and really screw us.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
In that situation absolutely. I just dont see ownership caving though..hopefully they will.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:10 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
In that situation absolutely. I just dont see ownership caving though..hopefully they will.
I am hoping they are pissed so they are desperate and go for the big name.