HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I could see this happening. Thinking the highest the pick is around the 10-12 range.
+a chance at drafting 1st overall. How sweet would it be to make the playoffs and draft Jones.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
UncleRisto
Turtle Power

Simple. Tonight the Avs use their best players to injure best Flames players badly. Avs players get lengthy suspensions, Flames players are out for significant time periods -> Both teams suck, two top-5 picks.

Old
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Just match and heal the wounds. Two years is a long time to forget about this for both the player and management.
It's a judgment call. If Avs think O'Reilly is so greedy that he'll just sign his qualifying offers two years in a row and then bolt as a UFA, I don't know how you patch things up.

If on the other hand think O'Reilly likes Avs and the future of the team and would be willing to re-sign for $5M-5.5M on a long term deal if you made it clear Avs want him around for the long haul, I have no problem with matching.

It's hard to get a read on O'Reilly as an outsider since it seems he's only about the money, but who knows.

Old
agentblack

Guys please stop with the Sakic comparisons. Two different situations. Joe was a top 5 player in the league that just won a cup and a smythe and finished 5 in league scoring.

ROR had 55 points in one year, his team didnt make the playoffs, and I dont think he took home any hardware
I cant believe this kid was making 900k and jumped to 6.5 million for one good year. unbelievable this league and young players.

Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Judging by some of the posts in here you'd think no one remembers Sakic once signed a ridiculously overpriced offersheet.
Ridiculously overpriced?

I think there was a huge bonus involved so the Avs had to pay him over $15M that season but it was still only $21M over three years. He also had six 90+ point seasons prior to the offer sheet.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

According to some Western Conference exec were matching almost for sure.

Going to be very, very interesting to see what we do here. Right now I don't think there is an obvious bad move, but I think in 3-5 years there will be an extremely obvious wrong move. If we make the right move it will help the franchise immensely. If we make the wrong one it'll probably add 3 years to the rebuild.

Old
PAZ

As for the Salary structure, I don't think it will hurt us much.

By the time O'Reilly's contract is up, it will show if he's actually worth being a 5m+ hockey player, if he is then we sign him for a long term deal.

If not, we trade him and get slightly less than what we would right now. (Around a 1st + prospect, although the 1st will probably be a worse pick than at the moment).

I don't see this being a huge issue for our core either. Duchene loves the Avs, the Avs gave EJ a chance to redeem himself, and the Avs can actually negotiate with Landy beforehand this time and learn from this mistake. Varly seems pretty happy here right now as well, all things considered.

Old
NOTENOUGHBREWER

The Flames are a much better team than the Avs as is. They are barely out of a playoff spot and have games in hand on other teams. With O Reilly I see them in the 6th or 7th spot in the West. Not a good pick.

On the other hand if the Avs match, they have to QO O Reilly for 6.5M two summers from now.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Says a rival Western Conference team exec: ``Avs will match for sure.'' Well, we shall see ...
Dreger says he's hearing they won't match. LeBrun says one person says they will match for sure.

It's going to be a long week.

Old
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Posters on HF wildly overrate picks between 6th-15th. You have a 10% chance to get a player as good or better than O'Reilly, deep draft (most overused term on HF) or not.

Old
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So let's start speculating on the rest of Calgary's season:

17 road games 13 home games

8 against teams lower in the current standings (Oilers, Avs, CBJ)

3 of those are against the Avs

Kipper still out for a couple of weeks by reports (play Avs, Canucks, SJ, Ducks, LA*2)

I don't see them winning more than 12-13 games, possibly 3-4 ties. So +30 points, that would give them 48 points. That is probably good for 11th in the West, and probably a pick around 9-13.
Calgary always heats up late in the season. Now that normally applies to a full season so who knows how this plays out in regards to a half season. Iginla only has 3 goals so far, and it seems like every year he starts out slow and we have those stupid main board posts about how Iginla is washed up and done, and then he goes on a tear and ends up with 35 goals. If he goes on a tear and ends up with 20 goals this season, and you add O'Reilly to that team, I think Calgary once again is fighting for a playoff spot just like they have for the past few years. I think we're talking about a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range.

Old
BoxOfChocolates

vCash: 1150
Let him walk.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Avsboy
#TheStructure

Darren Dreger just said that there's "no way the Avs have the stomach to pay that kind of dollar"

Old
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
And the fact that he went on to become one of the greatest captains and players of all time. If we let him walk we'd have been laughing stocks. O'Reilly may not be Sakic, but if the Avs can overcome their Captain signing an offersheet for more money than most of the team combined at the time, they can overcome this decision by Ryan.
Hey Lonewolfe, remember our conversation about his Q/O? lol This is exactly that scenario but a 2 year deal instead of a 1 year.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Let him walk. Flames look awful. If we finish awful, which looks likely it'll give us more of a chance at the 1st overall, with two picks. Only way it back fires is if Calgary makes the playoffs, which they won't. This could end up being similar to the Boston/Toronto situation, if they end up really sucking and we get a top 5 pick were laughing. Give me any of the guy's in the top 5 of this draft over O'Reilly straight up any day.

You can't match. That salary is insane. You can't reward what he's doing right now, esp with all the youth on this team. What if he folds under the pressure and only throws up like 40 points next year?

It's a high risk situation, we could end up getting screwed if we don't match, also has high potential. High risk/high reward, I'll roll the dice on the Flames sucking.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Ridiculously overpriced?

I think there was a huge bonus involved so the Avs had to pay him over $15M that season but it was still only $21M over three years. He also had six 90+ point seasons prior to the offer sheet.
Only?

It was 17,2,2 iirc and caused the entire NHL to rethink contracts. Sakic would never have sniffed that kind of cash, that was what, third in the entire league?

Old
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
You can bet your ***** that Sherman is making the scouts work extra extra hard here in the next 7 days to see if they have a guy in the 10-15 range that they think is a home-run.
I'd hope Sherman has been doing this for the last month, considering we'll be around that spot, and there was a chance an offer sheet would happen.

Old
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dreger says he's hearing they won't match. LeBrun says one person says they will match for sure.

It's going to be a long week.
I like Dreger, but I think LeBrun is the best in the business IMO with McKenzie as a 1B.

Old
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Posters on HF wildly overrate picks between 6th-15th. You have a 10% chance to get a player as good or better than O'Reilly, deep draft (most overused term on HF) or not.
Really? 10%? I guess that depends on how highly you rate O'Reilly.

Old
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Hey Loneworlfe, remember our conversation about his Q/O? lol This is exactly that scenario but a 2 year deal instead of a 1 year.
Yeah, I posted earlier our options but everyone seems to have ignored it. We'll be fine matching it.

Old
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
The Flames are a much better team than the Avs as is. They are barely out of a playoff spot and have games in hand on other teams. With O Reilly I see them in the 6th or 7th spot in the West. Not a good pick.

On the other hand if the Avs match, they have to QO O Reilly for 6.5M two summers from now.
That's a generous assessment. They have 18 points in 18 games, and are 3 points behind 8th seeded San Jose, who have also played 18 games. They're 3-3-1 in their last seven and are a single point ahead of the Avalanche in the standings - in the same amount of games played.

Old
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post

They have one more OTL in the same amount of games. I'm not sure how the fing hell they are a much better team.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Offering a word of support for you guys. Sucks to lose a quality player (if you match), but I dont see Calgary as a good team at all. I think theres a very real chance this pick ends up top 5, if not in the realm of Drouin, Jones, Mackinnon.

Old
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I like the Avs drafting in recent years. I would rather have a slightly less impactful player for the next seven years than one that will bolt in a year and a half.

There are alot of players in the top twenty that I can see becoming better than O'reilly and with our Scouting record I'll take the chance. Look at the 09 draft where we got O'reilly, Duchene and Barrie(hesitant to include Elliot at the moment.). If we draft someone like Pulock with that pick I can see this looking great for us in the future.

Old
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

If Ryan gets 6.5M... Duchene would want at least the same, Landeskog too, Varlamov too... It wouldn't be going somewhere good.

Closed Thread