HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Looking at the trades Boston have made lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they are scouting Kobasew for a minor trade.
Good. He's been at his best while they've been scouting him.

02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Rrabb1t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Ryan O'Reilly, Duncan Siemens, Stefan Elliott, Michael Sgarbossa, Ryan O'Byrne, 2013 2nd Round Pick and 2014 1st Round Pick to Florida for Dmitry Kulikov, Shawn Matthias, and 2013 1st Round Pick

Avs win lottery

Florida finishes with 3rd overall pick

Buy out David Jones and Greg Zanon

Avs draft Jonathan Drouin and Seth Jones

Drouin/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/Stastny/McGinn
Matthias/Mitchell/Downie
McLeod/Olver/Bordeleau

Kulikov/Johnson
Wilson/Jones
Hejda/Barrie

Varlamov
Giguere

That was my dream last night about the Ryan O'Reilly situation and I woke up angry knowing that something like that only happens in EA Sports, which I do not own
Would never do that deal. Florida are a better team than that and won't finish in the bottom3. At least there's no guarantee of it what so ever.

I think everyone agrees ROR and Kulikov have pretty much the same value and then were effectively doing this trade on the side:

Duncan Siemens, Stefan Elliott, Michael Sgarbossa, Ryan O'Byrne, 2013 2nd Round Pick and 2014 1st Round Pick

->

Shawn Matthias, and 2013 1st Round Pick

That's so sickening overpayment that it's not even funny.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't really get these Boston rumors. Who would they be sending our way? I don't see it.

Hamilton? I seriously doubt it. Savard? No he's a mess. Bergeron? Not with only one year left after this. Krejci? I don't see it with only two more years, and the Avs having to pay him $5.25M. Seguin? Doubt the B's want to give him up, and the Avs surely don't want to pay him $5.75M long term after one good offensive season. Peverly? I hope not, and he's only got two more years. Horton? He's a UFA in the summer. Lucic, Chara? Not gonna happen. Seidenburg, Ferrence? They're good players but not for O'Reilly and they're gonna be UFA's soon too.

What would they be sending our way? A late 1st? That's not gonna cut it.

Only involvement I see from the B's is in a three way trade somehow, or a separate trade for a depth defender.
They're probably after depth like Mitchel, RoB, SoB, Kobasew, or Jones. There were rumors they wanted Jones last year from beat writers around here.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:59 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
They're probably after depth like Mitchel, RoB, SoB, Kobasew, or Jones. There were rumors they wanted Jones last year from beat writers around here.
I think there is no way they want him now after him getting that ugly contract.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:09 AM
henchman24
If and if...

I could see the Bruins wanting Jones as a Horton replacement (who I doubt the Bs re-sign because he will command too much money). Jones would just slide right in his spot next season and for this year he would add some scoring depth for a cup run. In return the Avs get a solid prospect that can possibly step in next year or a decent pick.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

vCash: 177
NHLexpertpicks.com @NHLexpertpicks
42m
#Avs asking for alot to move Ryan O'Reilly. Eastern Conference GM 'They don't really want to move him unless its a home run offer'.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

I'm disappointed, Shermy.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I remain convinced that we are never in a million years going to get what you think we will. I think, in the end, this is the return that we should expect.

*Edit... And I agree that prospects and picks are way way overvalued on here. But, I just think when this is all said and done, we are going to have to settle for a return just like that.
I'd be willing to make a very large bet on that.

Since the Avs are not restricted to make a deal with only 1 or 2 teams and there is pretty much LEAGUE-WIDE interest, I believe that you are underestimating the desperation of some of these GMs to improve their club.

We'll either make some sort of deal where it's obvious that we got good value back in return for RoR (Little+Trouba) OR we'll get a package deal where it's not completely obvious YET that we got a good return but it will be when the assets reach maturation.

An example of this would be the Habs. Let's say we get a package consisting of Lars Eller + Jarred Tinordi +1st round pick for RoR & depth player/3rd round pick or something like that. People would freak the hell out but then, maybe they'd watch Eller play and go, 'whoa..this kid is pretty damn good'. He can play center and the wing and he's still pretty young.

I've been extremely high on Eller ever since his draft year (I ranked him 5th overall) and every Habs game that I've seen this year, I've been impressed with him. I really don't get where the hate comes from, must be more from looking at his stats rather than looking at him play.

I've also always liked Tinordi, he doesn't have great offensive upside but could be a solid top-4 shutdown guy and he's a humongous monster. The first round pick is likely middle of the pack but it's a deep draft.

This is just an example and perhaps a lot of people wouldn't be on board with that 2nd one but I can't see the Avs getting LESS than something like that. They will get value from some team out there, whether it's Buffalo or New York, one of these teams will likely package up some futures with a solid roster player as they get more and more desperate.

The Avs would NEVER accept a one for one deal for just a prospect because there's just too much risk of just ending up with nothing. Other teams have also been in this position and absolutely understand this, unlike fans of teams on HFboards, of course, those teams are trying to get the Avs to bite on their lesser prospects, you can't expect anything less.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
42m
#Avs asking for alot to move Ryan O'Reilly. Eastern Conference GM 'They don't really want to move him unless its a home run offer'.
I think this is from a LeBrun article from yesterday.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

So, I've been thinking about this and I believe I've come up with the perfect trade scenario:

To WPG:
O'Reilly,C
Hejda,LD

To COL:
Little,C/RW
Trouba,RD

This does 2 things, (1) gives us a good roster player to try and replace RoR and a very good prospect for the future and (2) much like the Anderson for Elliott trade, it depletes our D-corps even further by giving up our best defensive d-man to the point where we might as well play run & gun every game because we're just not going to stop the opposition from scoring.

We have 30 games left and I believe we need to go at least 18-12 to get into the playoffs. With our lineup perfectly healthy, that's already a tall order.

Trade off whatever good available assets we might have at the deadline and finish with a top 5 pick. (Seems like this is going to happen even if we don't make this trade! )

Old
02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The idea of having the main piece coming back be an unproven prospect who may never develop freaks me out. I'm hoping the main piece is a little more proven than that.

I wouldn't include Hejda either. It hurts the team next year. He's one of the few defenseman on the team who I actually trust.

I have no issue including Elliott if it brings in more. Not convinced he'll ever develop enough defensively to become a top 4 guy.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Eller has always seemed to me to be one of those all the tools, no toolbox sort of players. He is getting kind of buried in Montreal right now, but he seems like he might be finally putting it all together. I wouldn't be thrilled with a trade around Eller + for ROR, but I wouldn't be terrible upset either. If I am just specifically choosing between Eller and Little, I would choose Eller. It is the + where the Montreal deal gets me. I am just not a huge fan of any of the reasonable pluses that could be added (I'm thinking Collberg and Beaulieu are off limits).

Old
02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
So, I've been thinking about this and I believe I've come up with the perfect trade scenario:

To WPG:
O'Reilly,C
Hejda,LD

To COL:
Little,C/RW
Trouba,RD

This does 2 things, (1) gives us a good roster player to try and replace RoR and a very good prospect for the future and (2) much like the Anderson for Elliott trade, it depletes our D-corps even further by giving up our best defensive d-man to the point where we might as well play run & gun every game because we're just not going to stop the opposition from scoring.

We have 30 games left and I believe we need to go at least 18-12 to get into the playoffs. With our lineup perfectly healthy, that's already a tall order.

Trade off whatever good available assets we might have at the deadline and finish with a top 5 pick. (Seems like this is going to happen even if we don't make this trade! )
I don't think that Hejda should be shipped out. Currently our defense has Hejda and Barrie as the only two players who are not bottom pairing players.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't think that Hejda should be shipped out. Currently our defense has Hejda and Barrie as the only two players who are not bottom pairing players.
I agree with this

Ship out Hunwick, ROB, or SOB

Old
02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
We may not want to ship him out because Hejda is quietly going about his business and providing some real solid play, but you can be sure that other teams GM's notice this, and if they want him in a deal, the Avs have to make a decision, you've got to give to get in this league now.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I agree with this

Ship out Hunwick, ROB, or SOB
I agree with this

Ship out Hunwick, ROB, AND SOB

Old
02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Easily our best D, and it's not even close. No one else has even been remotely good.

Maybe it's part of the tank plan though. Slowly take away players and make a poor D core even worse by holding EJ out and trading Hejda.

Teams are just gonna dance their way around the Avs zone like it's the ice capades.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Foppa

Quote:
42m
As much as I want resolution, this is reassuring. We clearly aren't going places this season, glad that management realizes this even if much of it (helping to turn ROR negotiations into a pissing match, not doing anything to upgrade a horrible blueline, signing Jones to a stupid contract) is their fault.

They almost get a pass for this season based on injuries, the lockout (this season still doesn't feel like a 'real' season to me yet) and ROR...but guaranteed, this franchise better hit the ground running and with big-time aspirations for 2013-14 or the already jaded support for this club is going to reach a breaking point. The rebuild better end with the draft/moves made this off-season.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
I'd be willing to make a very large bet on that.

Since the Avs are not restricted to make a deal with only 1 or 2 teams and there is pretty much LEAGUE-WIDE interest, I believe that you are underestimating the desperation of some of these GMs to improve their club.
Well, there are some trades where the returns aren't so exciting, and yet again, Vancouver traded Hodgson for Kassian last year to gear up for a playoff run. So you never know.

Quote:
We'll either make some sort of deal where it's obvious that we got good value back in return for RoR (Little+Trouba) OR we'll get a package deal where it's not completely obvious YET that we got a good return but it will be when the assets reach maturation.
No offense, but that sounds an awful lot like what you and some others keep saying about the EJ-Stewart trade. No thanks.

Sherman should ask for a huge return, and if he doesn't get it, he should sit pat and do nothing.

Last edited by ABasin: 02-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 11:42 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Easily our best D, and it's not even close. No one else has even been remotely good.

Maybe it's part of the tank plan though. Slowly take away players and make a poor D core even worse by holding EJ out and trading Hejda.

Teams are just gonna dance their way around the Avs zone like it's the ice capades.
Hejda is a quality hockey player. Aside from his first 20 games last season and a few earlier this season, he's been fine, IMO. As you say, far and away the best defensively back there right now. Wouldn't move him unless they had to, i.e. the return would be awesome. Else the Avs are going to look for someone exactly like him this offseason.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

vCash: 177
http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI...ylistPageNum=1

Old
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

Quote:
I wasn't impressed with that interview. (thanks for posting it, though)

Sounded like he said he won't talk right now, but he'll run his mouth when it's all finished.

Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Is this real life? Still so weird to me that this situation got to this point. Someone should blink. Maybe O'Reilly, his eyelashes in that video were really something.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
42m
Not too suprised by this.

We don't have to trade O'Reilly right away and I'm sure teams will be willing give a little more towards the trade deadline or draft.

Unfortunately, I may have to wait that long for something to get done.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
We may not want to ship him out because Hejda is quietly going about his business and providing some real solid play, but you can be sure that other teams GM's notice this, and if they want him in a deal, the Avs have to make a decision, you've got to give to get in this league now.
This is the thinking behind the deal. He's currently playing very well, by far our best D playing D and I don't think other GMs see RoB or Hunwick as adding ANYTHING to any deal.

By the time Hejda's contract expires, we'll be in position to really compete and who knows how much gas he'll have by then.

Where does Hejda fit into this:

EJ
Seth Jones*
Trouba
Barrie
Wilson

Siemens

If we move him out, we give the reigns, for better or for worse to Barrie and Elliott and maybe even bring up Gaunce to see what he's got. I can't for the life of me, see this team winning 18 out of the next 30. It's not impossible but the way we are playing, I just don't see it. Anyways, food for thought.

Closed Thread