Notices

Calgary: Offer sheet for O'Reilly

Old
02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Number8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
A bad team offering this means Colorado can think about not matching. If it was a good team you do it as a no brainer.

The qualifying offer being a little bit high shouldn't sway the deal. Colorado can trade him next year.

Flames get a better play than they would with their pic its a good move by them.
I'm not sure it's just a little bit high though. I guess it depends on what he does this year and next.

Because the QO is $6.5M, at his age his future Cap Hit will be basically that high. I don't think the new CBA allows for any of the long drawn out deals of the past.

If that's the case, the ONLY player on our team with a higher Cap hit would be Z -- and only by about $400K.

That's one hell of cap hit for a guy who has never broken 20 goals and whose father likes to get involved in negotiations.

I think with all that's passed under the bridge, IMO Avs have to let him go.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
22Brad Park

I say Colorado matches but if they do not then Calgary is in trouble in a way.Bye bye to any top picks at draft..18 goals gets you alot now.hahaha,,On bright side ,Flames get him BYEBYE Iginla,hello Boston.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Calgary should have tried to rebuild a long time ago- they're just too desperate and keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over. ROR is a great young player, but that offer will cripple the team. They're already on the hook for 5.2Mil for Wideman and 6.7 to Bouwmeester and 6 mil for Cammalleri. That'll be something like 24 mil in 4 guys (none of whom are Iginla) when the cap is 60 mill.

I don't get it.
I'm wondering if they are planning on amnesty buyout(s) after the season?

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

I'm not convinced that this necessarily takes Iginla off the market.

He is 35 years old and a UFA after the season is over. The Flames aren't going to win anything in the near future, and are likely in rebuild mode. If they decide that Iginla is not part of their future, they could deal him for picks/prospects in order to speed up the rebuilding process.

They could feel he has a lot of hockey left in him, and want to keep him as the face of the franchise kind of guy/veteran presence for the young players, but I don't necessarily think that is a given.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I say they match butr if they do noy Calgary is nuts,\Bye bye to any 1st,3nd 4rd,picks at draft,They would have none.18 goals gets you alot now.hahaha,,On bright side ,Flames get him BYEBYE Iginla,hello Boston.
If they match though they have others due for contracts when this one hits its qualifying stage. Can't pay for both.

The term and price were brilliant thought out by Flames.

Evil, but brilliant.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins04 View Post
with rask not signed, no.... if he was signed maybe.
what if rask makes it though the season with no extension... colorado makes a ridiculous offer sheet on him and then what?

im okay with standing pat... not to mention we need to sign bergy a year later.
I would be a very upset Bruins fan is what.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Calgary should have tried to rebuild a long time ago- they're just too desperate and keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over. ROR is a great young player, but that offer will cripple the team. They're already on the hook for 5.2Mil for Wideman and 6.7 to Bouwmeester and 6 mil for Cammalleri. That'll be something like 24 mil in 4 guys (none of whom are Iginla) when the cap is 60 mill.

I don't get it.
That's kinda where I'm sitting with this. I don't understand Feaster here. That's an ooooold team, above or near the age of 30 that doesn't look like they're gonna contend this year, and they're gonna hand 2 (likely high) draft picks to a team in the division that does have a good young core?

Put me in the wtf camp with this one.

Culture of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
ranold26
Registered Loser

VANCOUVER also tendered an OS to ROR, but he didn't sign it.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Good.

Old
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
makes me like him even more.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Randy, any scuttlebutt about what they offered?

Old
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I'm not convinced that this necessarily takes Iginla off the market.

He is 35 years old and a UFA after the season is over. The Flames aren't going to win anything in the near future, and are likely in rebuild mode. If they decide that Iginla is not part of their future, they could deal him for picks/prospects in order to speed up the rebuilding process.

They could feel he has a lot of hockey left in him, and want to keep him as the face of the franchise kind of guy/veteran presence for the young players, but I don't necessarily think that is a given.
Yeah, but if they're in rebuild mode, why give up the 1st and 3rd picks where the picks are potentially early in the round?

Old
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I'm not sure it's just a little bit high though. I guess it depends on what he does this year and next.

Because the QO is $6.5M, at his age his future Cap Hit will be basically that high. I don't think the new CBA allows for any of the long drawn out deals of the past.

If that's the case, the ONLY player on our team with a higher Cap hit would be Z -- and only by about $400K.

That's one hell of cap hit for a guy who has never broken 20 goals and whose father likes to get involved in negotiations.

I think with all that's passed under the bridge, IMO Avs have to let him go.
His father talk a lot but we have no clue on what happened. I think COL tried to play the hard ball and get cought by surprise by CAL offer sheet.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
Yeah, but if they're in rebuild mode, why give up the 1st and 3rd picks where the picks are potentially early in the round?
Maybe they plan on trading off some of their oldies in order to recoup the picks?

I guess if you like the player, you are willing to give something up for that piece, and then you go from there.

I don't know though, I see your point. But maybe this is the first move in the rebuild.

edit: In all honesty, I couldn't really tell you, but I am just trying to rationalize a way that we could still get Iginla.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
they could potentially recoup the picks with Iginla. Then they'd have a very good 21 year old center and decent picks rather than a declining 30-something year old winger and good picks. RoR is a good way to start a rebuild because it gives you one young player where you know what you get and don't have to deal with the gamble and development time of a first round pick.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:46 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
If they match though they have others due for contracts when this one hits its qualifying stage. Can't pay for both.

The term and price were brilliant thought out by Flames.

Evil, but brilliant.
In the third year they can take care that.I just watched Doug MacLean on Hockey Central talk about it .They can buy him out they were saying if he not perrforming by then.Perhaps he meant the amnesty.All the money is loaded into 3rd year.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
haha thats awesome

I hope it was more than the Calgary offer. Maybe ROR just wants a chance to be a number one center and not a depth center/role player type like he will be in Colorado or Vancouver

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Maybe they plan on trading off some of their oldies in order to recoup the picks?

I guess if you like the player, you are willing to give something up for that piece, and then you go from there.

I don't know though, I see your point. But maybe this is the first move in the rebuild.
Maybe. I dunno. I'm not an NHL GM so my opinion means squat.

Then again, Feaster traded for McGrattan a day after he was on waivers, so maybe it's all part of some intricate plan I'm not privy to.

I guess we'll see what Calgary has planned. Since it's unlikely we'll see the Flames until next year, we won't have to worry about it quite yet.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:

Then again, Feaster traded for McGrattan a day after he was on waivers, so maybe it's all part of some intricate plan I'm not privy to.

I guess we'll see what Calgary has planned. Since it's unlikely we'll see the Flames until next year, we won't have to worry about it quite yet.
Or it could just be that Calgary has no ******* idea what it is doing...there's that?

Old
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
they could potentially recoup the picks with Iginla. Then they'd have a very good 21 year old center and decent picks rather than a declining 30-something year old winger and good picks. RoR is a good way to start a rebuild because it gives you one young player where you know what you get and don't have to deal with the gamble and development time of a first round pick.
Makes sense. I suppose I'm in the wait and see camp, as Jarome Iginlia's been mentioned in trade talks since the beginning of time and we've all been waiting for the potential Calgary rebuild for almost that long.

Old
bruins04

Quote:

yes the mcgrattan deal was a set-up to this offer sheet. needed to deal with the max50 contracts situation.

bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ranold26
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Randy, any scuttlebutt about what they offered?
nothing yet.. give it time, but I can guarantee it was a lower AAV and/or especially a lower signing bonus.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Good, now people will stop making ridiculous trade proposals for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins04 View Post
with rask not signed, no.... if he was signed maybe.
what if rask makes it though the season with no extension... colorado makes a ridiculous offer sheet on him and then what?

im okay with standing pat... not to mention we need to sign bergy a year later.
I agree, I think the Bruins end up standing pat, maybe a depth minor leaguer signing or two, but the team we have now is good and the future looks bright with responsible management

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Good kickin' this around with y'all, but I got a game to watch! Let's go Bruins!!!

Old
02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
In the third year they can take care that.I just watched Doug MacLean on Hockey Central talk about it .They can buy him out they were saying if he not perrforming by then.Perhaps he meant the amnesty.All the money is loaded into 3rd year.
I suppose technically he may be right.
But does it behoove the Avs to have an indentured player and then have to hand out 6.5 to get rid of him? Amnesty doesn't out against the cap but that nugget still has to be paid and that's a helluva parting gift.

Anyhow, should be interesting how this plays out.