HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Report

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Habber

vCash: 500
Game Report

Game On! Man am I glad to be watching hockey again.

Just finished watching the game and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Overall, I thought we had a really good game and controlled the flow. We downright dominated the 3rd. Julien's influence on strategy was very evident tonight, and it's obvious to me that he didn't implement his style of play last year at all but instead waited for this year to start fresh.

First off, in the offensive zone. He seems to have given the players a lot more freedom to make finesse plays in the offensive zone. Last year all we did was cycle, cycle, cycle. Last year it seemed we'd have a 3 on 2 but would dump it into the corner to get the cycle down low going. Tonight I saw guys going to the net a lot more and guys trying to walk out of the corner a lot more. Guys like Ribs, Zed and Perezhogin were dancing around and making some good, creative plays. We pressured the puck very well and had good support. I think a very good system that will utilize our speed and finesse.

Defensively we were very passive in our own end. We played a zone instead of the man on man we played last year. IMO it's not the ideal system, but considering the troubles we had last year it should simplify things a bit for our less-than-steller d men. Should also help to eliminate the running-around-with-our-heads-cut-off syndrome.

Now some player comments:

Ribiero - Fantastic game. Our best player tonight,probably the best in the game. Really showed he belongs. He looks very confident, especially behind the net. He doesn't look weak or small at all and his skating seems to have improved somewhat, he still doesn't have top end speed but was very solid on his skates.

Theo - I thought was very sharp. Rivet hung him out to dry the 1st goal and the 2nd was tipped right in front of him. He came up with some big stops in the third and kept us in the game, something he didn't do last year.

Bulis - Was solid tonight. He looks like he has taken his game to the next level. He is going to be a workhorse for us this year.

Hossa - He had a good game and had lots of scoring chances but I can see what CJ is talking about. He just doesn't look intense out there. He floated in and out of the corner a lot. But if he can start to put it together he has a shot at staying up.

Ward - Was solid as well. Looks to be assuming a penalty killing, third liner role. I'd like to see him have a permanent spot on the team this year, starting on the 3rd line and then maybe moving up as the season progresses.

Perezhogin - Showed flashes tonight but needs some seasoning in Hamilton. Played as an individual too much and tried to dance a little too often. I would be very surpised if he makes the team.

Plekanec - Was OK. Showed some alright stuff but, like Perezhogin, is destined for Hamilton.

Audette - Wasn't too bad but I'm not sold on him yet. If he doesn't start puttnig the puck in the net with some consistency, time to give him the heave ho.

Perrault - Was OK but I'm hoping he'll be gone this season. Ribs has taken over his spot IMO.

Higgs - Didn't get much icetime and I didn't notice him when he was on the ice. Have to reserrve judgement. I'm hoping they were resting him dut to the shortage of centres.

Traverse - On the PP? Brutal. Nuff said.

Breezy, Rivet, Quintal were they're usual OK but mistake prone selves. Bouillon looked good though. Dagenais, I don't know if he is going to make it and what be anything more than a 4th liner if he does.

Holy long winded! Well that's my observations after 1 game, and I'm sure lots of my opinions will change as we get into things a bit more. I'm curious as to what other people thought of Ribs, Perezhogin and Ward. Any other with player evaluations?

Old
09-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Harry Kakalovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Game On! Man am I glad to be watching hockey again.
thanks for the report habber. i agree with lots you said, though i saw the last two games not this one. did ryder play tonight?

Old
09-23-2003, 05:42 PM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick side
thanks for the report habber. i agree with lots you said, though i saw the last two games not this one. did ryder play tonight?
No, not tonight.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:12 AM
Mike8

Good stuff, thanks for the report!

Old
09-24-2003, 04:13 AM
mcphee

Your comments on Ribeiro are interesting. I usually hear Pierre Mcguire on the Teaam990 at about 5.30PM every day. On Monday, he savaged every part of Ribeiro's game. Yesterday, he softened a bit and admitted that he heard he had improved and could have a place in the league, though he couldn't see him playing a key role on a top team. I guess we'll see once the games start to count.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Habs4Cup

Location: Montreal, the only city where Stanley Cups come in cases of 24
I was at the game last night and tought Plakenec played a very solid game. We saw him much more than Perezhogin throughout the night.

Bouillon was very good and hope CJ will keep him as 7th D. He is much more reliable than Traverse or Dykhuis...

# 26, Dagenais, was terrible. No hands and no poise usually doesn't make a good mix in the NHL. Prefer to see gifter kids than him in the Habs line-up this year.

As the game progressed, Theo look more and more confident. Hope he'll be good this year, cause he'll see a million shots...

Old
09-24-2003, 04:17 AM
Darz

One final thought on Ribiero.

Doesn't he ALWAYS look great in training camp and the pre-season??? When opposing teams are playing alot of AHL talent, and the vet's aren't playing 100%.

I hope he does put it all together this season, and makes me eat every negative word I have even spoked (or written) about him, but let's not get too excited until he proves himself for at least 40 or so games of real NHL hockey.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:26 AM
Lewis63

I was at the game also and I was looking at for my favorite dmen but they weren't playing (Komisarek,Hainsey Sourray)

So i had to settle on Traverse (oh my god the guy sucks). The best dman out there was bouillon. Was it MArkov's first pre-season game? cause he wasn't that dominant...

As for the forwards, I really liked the fact that CJ put Higgins and Ward together to kill penalties...Maybe to replace Juneau and Dackell someday? Higgins didn't play a lot but waht I've seen of him is that he plays very well in the defensive zone, he's a real center (meaning he takes his man and helps the dmen getting the puck out). I would be very suprised to see Perezhogin starting the year in montreal. PLekanec was ok but he is kinda small...I just can't see our top 3 centers under 6 feet in 2-3 years from now (Koivu, RIbs, Plecks).

One last thing...Sylvain Blouin...come on!!! why is he here? he was cherry pickin on the red line in the first period!!!! Dwyer is a much better hockey player than Blouin.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:53 AM
Joe Cole

Ribs....will he put together a 10 game stretch of good games during the season? That is the test. The guy obviously has talent when no one is hanging off his back.

As much as I hate this guy in interviews, I hope that he becomes as good as the guys on 110% think he is. Don't get me started on those xenophobic simpletons. "Solution to every problem-play harder" duh!

Here is the problem.....Koivu, Perreault, Ribiero, and Juneau are our centers. Size is a definite problem, I say choose one small man, build around him and deal the rest. We are in the NHL East....where size up the middle is necessary. The choice is pretty simple.

Since Serge Savard, the Habs never built around a player. They never tried to fill specific needs. They just threw players on the ice and hopped that they would gel.

And to think Lou Lamorillo based his system on the 70's Habs....and we based ours on the 70's California Golden Seals.

Thank God Gainey is our GM. Now it's time to see him start to aquire and develop some appropriate players.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz

Doesn't he ALWAYS look great in training camp and the pre-season??? When opposing teams are playing alot of AHL talent, and the vet's aren't playing 100%.

I hope he does put it all together this season, and makes me eat every negative word I have even spoked (or written) about him, but let's not get too excited until he proves himself for at least 40 or so games of real NHL hockey.
the real question is why is he the only one to looks great when opposing teams are playing alot of AHL talent, and the vet's aren't playing 100%.

Should'nt Bulis, Perezhougin Higgins Perrault Hossa Audette try to get a place on the top 2 lines too???

I hope Ribiero will have more than one game to prove himself in REAL season before they send him In HAmilton or on the 4th line

Old
09-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Hossa - He had a good game and had lots of scoring chances but I can see what CJ is talking about. He just doesn't look intense out there. He floated in and out of the corner a lot. But if he can start to put it together he has a shot at staying up.
TSN's story indicated that Hossa played a physical game and went in strong into the corners. CJ was also quoted saying his game is improving with more confidence. Can anyone provide some more observations on his play to date?? Thanks.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
the real question is why is he the only one to looks great when opposing teams are playing alot of AHL talent, and the vet's aren't playing 100%.

Should'nt Bulis, Perezhougin Higgins Perrault Hossa Audette try to get a place on the top 2 lines too???

I hope Ribiero will have more than one game to prove himself in REAL season before they send him In HAmilton or on the 4th line
Because Ribeiro's game is better suited for preseason than any of those players. Higgins is a gamer; preseason is not where he shines. Perreault never looks dominant out there. He's got a good shot, but his puckhandling leaves a lot to be desired. He's no playmaker. Audette is a vet and knows how unimportant preseason is. Bulis is another gamer/system-player. Perezhogin's in his first preseason.

Ribeiro's game is to be a playmaker. To be flashy, get noticed, receive praise, etcetera. In pre-season, systems are not fully implemented, many rookies and AHLers are playing in the lineups, new pairings and lines are tested, the pace of the game is much slower with less attention paid to details of systems. As a result, Ribeiro gets more time to make his plays, and he'll be fantastic. Just as he was dominant against the Thrashers and other bottom feeding teams last season; he had the time and space to get the job done.

As Darz mentioned previously, once Ribeiro plays a good chunk of the season and is productive against veteran clubs then he'll be deserving of praise. Until then, what he does in preseason is irrelevant. We've seen it all before from him at this time of the year.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik

He has played 116 games in the NHL, and has scored 14 times, only 5 goals in 52 games last year. Zholtock had better numbers on equally bad teams. He has been given a chance, more chance then plenty of other guys who might have not been a naitive Montrealer. I do not buy the fact that he has played with bad players so he is excused for his numbers.

All this to say, now is his final chance. Put together 10 good games. Score points. Shut down you man in the defensive end. If you do this, then you can stay in the roster, even though we know we needsize at the #2 center spot. If you don't trade/release/demote forever this guy.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:22 AM
mcphee

Joe, I'm sitting here smiling, "xenophobic simpleton" is pretty good, wish I'd said that. Ever notice that Perron always looks like he just got a cold water enema.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz

Good to see someone not excited like a little girl over Ribiero's play... He is doing what he has do do in this preseason but I have doubts on him being able to do so on a consistent basis in the NHL.

Not that I wish him the worst ( I wish he becomes a 60 point center as much as the next habs fan ) , its just that its a known fact that Ribiero can dominate the type of aforementioned hockey. When the game gets faster and tighter ( regular season ) then I'll pronounce my verdict.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Joe Cole

off topic- Jean Perron on 110%. I do an imitation of him. I think he looks like he is seriously drunk. I am not saying that he is, just that he looks drunk.

I heard an interview with Mats Naslund on the Team 990 where Mats said that the team wasn't even listening to Perron anymore when they made their run to the cup, they were really being led by Gainey and Robinson. Perron has hung his hat on the fact that he won a cup, funny when you hear the opinion of another person who was there.

That said....he often makes more sense the Bergeron, and has a much better percentage with his game predictions. The more I watch 110%, the more I dislike Bergy. He has the same answer for everything, play harder, and favor the local guys. Duh! What a tactition. He is one of those guys that goes to the Bell Center to socialize, much to "jet set" to watch the actual play on the ice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread....

Old
09-24-2003, 07:02 AM
J-D

I still remember the time when Perron said that Rucchin was better than Perrault. BOY! Did he get killed by Bergeron and Villeneuve on this one.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
I still remember the time when Perron said that Rucchin was better than Perrault. BOY! Did he get killed by Bergeron and Villeneuve on this one.
J-D : Who "le maître du Zouk", anyway?

Old
09-24-2003, 07:08 AM
J-D

Francky Vincent. But that's a joke... he's like Snoop Dogg (stupid sex-oriented lyrics), but signing with zouk rythms.

Closed Thread