HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Justin Pogge

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Charge_Seven

vCash: 500
Justin Pogge

After a season to review the selection...what's the verdict?

It kind of snuck up on me that we were taking a goalie that early. I didn't think we were in dire need of one, but Pogge seems to be a decent pick. Now, disregarding who we could have gotten instead, would you say the pick was a good one?

6 foot 3 is a big frame for a goalie, and that could make him an attractive guy to have a shot at the NHL.

I didn't like the pick at first, but now it gets my seal of approval.

The fact Vorobiev and Earl look like great picks just makes the selection of a goalie early look even better.

Old
03-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

It kind of snuck up on me that we were taking a goalie that early. I didn't think we were in dire need of one, but Pogge seems to be a decent pick. Now, disregarding who we could have gotten instead, would you say the pick was a good one?

6 foot 3 is a big frame for a goalie, and that could make him an attractive guy to have a shot at the NHL.

The fact Vorobiev and Earl look like great picks just makes the selection of a goalie early look even better.
True. I read somewhere that JFJ and the scouting team were eyeing him from the first. They were very high on him. He has potential, lets see what he does with it. Has the tools, but does he have the tool box ? I hope so...

Old
03-27-2005, 03:26 AM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
True. I read somewhere that JFJ and the scouting team were eyeing him from the first. They were very high on him. He has potential, lets see what he does with it. Has the tools, but does he have the tool box ? I hope so...
I believe they traded up to draft him if im corect.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:33 AM
-PrO-B1-

Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
PLaying amazing with Calgary in playoffs.
2 games
4 GA
57 shots
1-1(W-L)

Old
03-27-2005, 07:40 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

With what the scouting team had to work with, I think they did an excellent job.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:55 AM
leafaholix*

I really like Justin Pogge. Some work on not letting in bad goals from time to time and he'll be a great goalie prospect. I see a lot of Olaf Kolzig in him.

Old
03-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

His Calgary Teammates really like him and play for him ..

Here are a couple of good articles on the subject from the 2 games of the WHL playoffs By CALGARY SUN

Pogge left on his own

Justin Pogge gave his team a huge spark. But it was the Hitmen who spontaneously combusted. With the game tied 1-1 late in the third period, Pogge stuffed Lethbridge sniper John Lammers on a penalty shot.

But instead of feeding off the momentum, Calgary gave up the game winner just more than a minute later as the 'Canes registered a 2-1 victory in the series opener.
Hitmen captain Ryan Getzlaf, who was held off the scoresheet, said he felt the team let Pogge down.

"Obviously, Pogge played a helluva game for us tonight," Getzlaf said. "We owed him a little more than that. Especially going against a guy like Lammers, he came up big for us. "We would have liked to get that one for him."

Pogge, making his first career playoff appearance, was stellar throughout the tight-checking affair. The 18-year-old refused to dump on his mates and said all it took was a bad bounce for the game to go down the drain.

Read on: http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/03/26/972853-sun.html

Top line repays its debt

Calgary's top trio -- Getzlaf, Andrew Ladd and Shaun Landolt -- dominated as Calgary evened the Eastern Conference quarter-final series at a game apiece with a 3-2 victory over the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Justin Pogge made 32 saves but it was top guns who stole the show by completing the trifecta

Read On : http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/03/27/973493-sun.html

Getz shows grit
After Friday's series-opening loss Getzlaf said candidly said his club "owed" Pogge for his efforts.

Read On : http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/03/27/973494-sun.html

Pogge's standing tall between pipes

Without Justin Pogge, the Calgary Hitmen could be down 2-0 in their series against the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Last night, the stalwart netminder from Kaleden, B.C., found himself facing a ton of rubber from the explosive 'Canes but kicked out 32 shots during Calgary's 3-2 win.

The 18-year-old said the pressure is something he's embracing

Pogge, a Toronto Maple Leafs prospect, played through the taunts of Poh-Gee, Poh-Gee from the sellout crowd at the Enmax Centre.
Lethbridge did get a late goal from sniper Jonathan Filewich to make it 3-2 with 2:13 left in the contest. But Pogge is looking like he's about to become one of those goalies who helps his team take it to the next level.

"Look at Anaheim a couple of years ago with J-S Giguere. He just kept looking bigger and bigger, playing really well every night, so hopefully I can do that," said Pogge.

Read On: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/03/27/973770-sun.html

Last edited by Mess: 03-27-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old
03-27-2005, 11:52 AM
leafaholix*

Our scouting under JFJ is ridiculous.

One draft makes up 3 of our top 10 prospects.

Old
03-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Leaf the Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen

Either that or our depth was never great to begin with.

Not trying to be red horner here but just thought I'd toss in the other side of the coin.

Old
03-27-2005, 12:03 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf the Lucky
Either that or our depth was never great to begin with.

Not trying to be red horner here but just thought I'd toss in the other side of the coin.
I agree 100%, but it says something about the improvement in scouting when one draft basically betters the pool by quite a bit.

Old
03-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen

I think it's more that the quality was so poor before.

Even turning out an average number of players from our system would be a huge improvement over what we've suffered through in the past.

Old
03-27-2005, 02:13 PM
mooseOAK*

The Leafs had 10 players in the WJC in 2003 before the 2004 draft, it wasn't so bad before that.

Old
03-27-2005, 04:22 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Look at Anaheim a couple of years ago with J-S Giguere. He just kept looking bigger and bigger, playing really well every night, so hopefully I can do that," said Pogge.
The steroids of hockey: Michelin man goalie equipment.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:23 PM
-PrO-B1-

Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
Pogge has a chance this upcoming season to make the WJCanadian Team.

Old
03-29-2005, 11:02 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-
PLaying amazing with Calgary in playoffs.
2 games
4 GA
57 shots
1-1(W-L)
Its now 3gp 4ga 78s and 2W-1L with 1so against a very good Lethbridge team.

Closed Thread