HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMPV View Post
You guys don't want Maurice, trust me.
I've heard a number of people say this over the years... what is it about him that's bad? Is he a chronic line-jumbler or something?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:44 PM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
I honestly think some kind of move will be made before he's fired. If the team sucks after a move or gets blown away in the first round only then will he get fired.
I don't disagree, but that wasn't the question I asked.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:44 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
And you don't think adding Kunitz, or a similar type player might resolve that?
It'll certainly help. That line looked pretty average to me even with Sid working the corners well. And I'm on record saying Kunitz-Sid-Neal should dominate. Neal is just garbage this year at ES. Lazy ****ing hockey player.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
well it's related to the bolded, I'm really waiting for people to turn on Sid. I said it would happen in the GDT.

Malkin lead this team! Sid doesn't! Sid is a bum! All his fault!

Whatever
WTF. That isn't even what I was thinking. But, yeah, there are myopic types who will say that, and there are myopic people who will read a comment about what Malkin did last year without Sid over a four month stretch as a slight to Sid instead of simply a compliment to Geno. Eh, whatever . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Fire 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Canes have played a stretch of games with half their D missing and without a couple of forwards also, including Skinner. That's a big reason they lost 4 of 5 prior to this game.

Look at the team they put out there tonight and add Pitkanen coming back. It is a playoff team for sure, and they will be a handful for pretty much anyone, I guarantee it.
I'm pretty sure Semin has hit more posts than some scoring leaders have points too. They're scary and without Fleury tonight we would've seen it a lot more.

And yeah, I give these teams credit too. The Canes look like they're having fun, the Panthers for all their injuries and troubles keep trying, the Penguins? The standings are nice, but we've seen how much that mattered in the playoffs. I don't know where they lost it or how, but of all things they're missing, I really wish they'd get their heart back.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
But like I said they'll probably catch montreal on a bad night and get some blowout win and give everyone a false sense of security. Getting crushed for a few more games while the season is salvageable could end up saving the team though if the right moves were taken.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Hey has an awesome name and he's on twitter.

You can't possible need more reasons, right?

He's one of the guys responsible for the Leafs turnaround. Head coach of the Marlies.

He can't leave for another NHL job during this season per his contract.

He implements discipline and structure and holds players accountable, but will be honest with them along the way.

I think he's the guy you could most credit for Kadri being one of the better players in the league so far this year.
Structure, discipline, accountability, works well with young talented players. I don't see how someone like that could qualify as a Ray Shero guy.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Fire 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
ramp23

sorry

Last edited by ramp23: 02-28-2013 at 09:58 PM.
ramp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I think it's safe to say we're NOT getting a new fourth line until we get a new coach. I feel bad for Vitale but he's completely useless between Glass and Adams. Heck, even when Sid takes shifts between them he is useless. It's a total black hole of complete and utter suckitude.

If it were up to me, Steve MacIntyre-Joe Vitale-that Bobby Farnham guy would be the fourth line. Players who actually add something to the mix. If you need energy, they'd actually bring energy. If you needed instigation, they'd actually instigate. If you needed to start crap on the ice to light a fire, they'd do that too. And they would also make the rest of the club feel a bit bigger and badder. THAT is a fourth line.

For what it's worth, I REALLY like the Dallas Eakins idea. By all accounts, he has done a GREAT job within the Leafs organization. I would also nominate Jon Cooper, who has a number of Lightning youngsters playing very well (either in Tampa or in Syracuse). Also, I saw a Syracuse game live earlier this season, against Hamilton at the Bell Centre. Granted, Hamilton sucks, but I absolutely loved the way Cooper's team plays...very aggressive, offense-oriented, with an emphasis on skill, but also a LOT of toughness. HUGE hits all over the ice. I came away very impressed that night.

The only problem with bringing an AHL coach is he can't do what Bylsma has done. Bylsma came from the AHL, so you'd think he would have given preference to the younger players he knows from the farm. Bylsma did the exact opposite once he was given the keys to NHL veterans. We can't have that anymore.

The new coach needs to WANT to develop the talent we have down on the farm, and on the way there. WE NEED younger talent to start keeping jobs in Pittsburgh. The cap demands it now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
DON'T TELL US WHAT WE WANT!!!

*takes a bite out of a stick of butter*
Switched from caffeine to cholesterol?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It'll certainly help. That line looked pretty average to me even with Sid working the corners well. And I'm on record saying Kunitz-Sid-Neal should dominate. Neal is just garbage this year at ES. Lazy ****ing hockey player.
Completely agree about Neal.

He's mailing it in right now 5v5. If he's not open for a one-timer, he doesn't give a **** about anything.

Right now, he's the definition of a one trick pony, and it's really frustrating to see since he can bring so much more.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
laufer72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I'm pretty sure Semin has hit more posts than some scoring leaders have points too. They're scary and without Fleury tonight we would've seen it a lot more.

And yeah, I give these teams credit too. The Canes look like they're having fun, the Panthers for all their injuries and troubles keep trying, the Penguins? The standings are nice, but we've seen how much that mattered in the playoffs. I don't know where they lost it or how, but of all things they're missing, I really wish they'd get their heart back.
That's exactly my thinking, With Therrien playoffs got progressively better, with DB, I hate to say, it got progressively worse.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
I agree with this
And that brings me to another Shero rant.

I get that EVERY team is looking for talent at wing, and with our salary structure, it's a little tougher for us than it is for other teams.

So you know what you do? You spend that extra 500K here, that extra 750K there on your 3rd and 4th liners. Get PROTOTYPICAL 3rd and 4th liners, not the cheapest guys available or guys you're loyal to because of what happened a few years ago.

How fun would a Tootoo and Vitale 4th line be right now? Or getting a Brandon Prust to play on a line with Cooke and Sutter on that third line?

But no, we keep signing the cheapest guys available JUST IN CASE the most perfect winger becomes available, the stars align, and we're able to sign him.

The lockout soured me so much that I wasn't keeping as close an eye on salaries as I usually do, but please tell me glass making $1.1M dollars a year is a ****ing mistake?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
I don't know if you make a big move before a coaching change. Shero didn't do it that way in 2009.

Old
malkovsby

can someone jog my memory but in years prior wasnt our forecheck based off the mobility of our defence...our D would lead the rush and if the opposition went trap we could dump to our wingers with speed or chip and retrieve? it seems now we rely solely on the long bomb to a waiting winger who advances the puck from a standstill. this is killing any flow we have on the rush and plays into the defensive system of the other team, and often times we are outmanned on the puck the second it enters the Ozone..why is this? what the hell happened

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I'd rather have him right now on our 4th line than Adams or Glass.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:52 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't know if you make a big move before a coaching change. Shero didn't do it that way in 2009.
Just saying this because Shero and Bylsma seem to have a big bromance going on.

Old

I don't like the way this team is built, the system they play and just the entire aura around the Pens. I don't mind losses and no team is perfect but I HATE winning sloppy and losing badly.

To be honest I also question the leadership. There are a lot of Cup winners in that locker room. Do they really need a crack in the ass to start playing well?

Can't wait for this Montreal game...

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy

Quote:
This team clearly isn't as talented as most people want to believe, but it also isn't as bad as most people want to claim either. There is absolutely zero reason why we are losing the way we are losing. Hell, even sometimes when we win, it doesn't look that good.

You can't fire the whole team, but you can fire a coach.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
vodeni

-Big minus allowing almost uncontested plays behind the goal, so soff
-this team cannot forecheck, is it size, is it a system, is it will and determination, I don't know but relying one off the rush magic will not cut it
-Martin was bad tonight
so were all other d-man
PP is pathetic, I don't care if we are no.1 in the league, this will not get us anywhere when things get tight.
PK is worse,
-total lack of ofensive skills beyond 87 and 71. The only way this team can score is t the throwing pucks at the net and hope for rebound (if not for Sid or Geno's creativity). I never see any penguin stickhandling puck and blowing by the opponent

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Just saying this because Shero and Bylsma seem to have a big bromance going on.
I understand. And, if push comes to shove, I hope Shero sinks with him. If it's both or neither, then, right now, I vote neither.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
I understand. And, if push comes to shove, I hope Shero sinks with him. If it's both or neither, then, right now, I vote neither.
Question is how much of a bromance the owners have with Shero?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
This team clearly isn't as talented as most people want to believe, but it also isn't as bad as most people want to claim either. There is absolutely zero reason why we are losing the way we are losing. Hell, even sometimes when we win, it doesn't look that good.

You can't fire the whole team, but you can fire a coach.
Thing is, I think with another coach you can take a second look at the team and see just how much really does need to be changed and how much can be addressed by coaching. I think that's why Shero made the coaching move before the personnel moves in 2009. Otherwise, as a GM, how do you know you aren't just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.