HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
I hope the obligatory trade prior to any action on Bylsma will be the return of Malone as soon as he is healthy again.

Some physicality, a linemate for Geno and a strong voice in the room.
I don't consider Malone an ideal acquisition, so don't rip me on that, but I think he can help us in quite a few ways right now.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
-total lack of ofensive skills beyond 87 and 71. The only way this team can score is t the throwing pucks at the net and hope for rebound (if not for Sid or Geno's creativity). I never see any penguin stickhandling puck and blowing by the opponent
While I don't disagree with this, I also think that's what the system calls for. They cycle the puck with no rhyme or reason. They dump the puck with no rhyme or reason. They break the puck out with no rhyme or reason. The only time they get offensive chances is when they get lucky. If we could get a coach that could actually teach his players how to create offense, and plays they should be making in the neutral zone and offensive zone...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Question is how much of a bromance the owners have with Shero?
It's all about self preservation. The only way Bylsma gets fired is if Shero feels his job may be in jeopardy.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Question is how much of a bromance the owners have with Shero?
We'll find out if Shero sticks with Bylsma, makes window dressing moves at the deadline, and it's another one and done in the playoffs, I suppose.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
This team clearly isn't as talented as most people want to believe, but it also isn't as bad as most people want to claim either. There is absolutely zero reason why we are losing the way we are losing. Hell, even sometimes when we win, it doesn't look that good.

You can't fire the whole team, but you can fire a coach.
Yup. We haven't played too many very clean, very nice, very convincing games this season. How many times have we taken 2-0 and 3-0 leads this year, only to completely stop playing and let the other team back into the game? It's been a staple.

If Shero won't fire Bylsma, make sweeping changes (including a new GM). Better to do it now than to continue to believe you're good enough when you really aren't.

I kinda would like to see a 'panicky' type of move on Shero's part. Something that would get the room's attention. Because everybody needs a wake-up call.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Since there wasn't much positive to take from tonight, and I like to be a positive person.....+ Jets beat the Devils tonight. That is about all I could come up with.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Thing is, I think with another coach you can take a second look at the team and see just how much really does need to be changed and how much can be addressed by coaching. I think that's why Shero made the coaching move before the personnel moves in 2009. Otherwise, as a GM, how do you know you aren't just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
At this point I think it's painfully obvious this team needs some kind of change, and it needs it yesterday.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
It's all about self preservation. The only way Bylsma gets fired is if Shero feels his job may be in jeopardy.
If the Pens are one and done after he gives Bylsma the year, I think he gets on the express elevator to the hot seat.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I've heard a number of people say this over the years... what is it about him that's bad? Is he a chronic line-jumbler or something?
Ex-Leafs bench boss.

edit: to clarify, the perception of any coach who can't win with the Leafs is that they must be terrible. Which is wrong.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:00 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

This team is stale, this team is stagnant, and this team lacks any kind of spark or pulse. It's been like this for over a season (or maybe even more) now. It's 100% on the management group to fix this. Whether that's the coach or the GM I really don't care at this point.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I hope the obligatory trade prior to any action on Bylsma will be the return of Malone as soon as he is healthy again.

I don't consider Malone an ideal acquisition, so don't rip me on that, but I think he can help us in quite a few ways right now.
I respect you a lot TR, but I want no part of anymore players who look well past their expiration date. We have enough of those already. We should be looking ahead, not back.

Quote:
While I don't disagree with this, I also think that's what the system calls for. They cycle the puck with no rhyme or reason. They dump the puck with no rhyme or reason. They break the puck out with no rhyme or reason. The only time they get offensive chances is when they get lucky. If we could get a coach that could actually teach his players how to create offense, and plays they should be making in the neutral zone and offensive zone...
I completely agree. Even though I think we sorely lack talent beyond the obvious 3-4 top guys, we have guys who COULD do more if we played something other than, er, "our game".

Old
02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

I get where you're going though. I wrote this after the last Philly game. Malkin never would've taken a retaliation penalty in the third. Couturier wouldn't have cross checked him twice, because Malone would've killed him after the first one. Pens don't have guys like that anymore. They don't have sociopaths like Roberts or instigators like the old Matt Cooke or Ruutu who would piss off the other team so much that they'd go after those guys instead of the Pens stars. The Pens roster needs electrosoff therapy, and a guy like Malone gives them that.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
If the Pens are one and done after he gives Bylsma the year, I think he gets on the express elevator to the hot seat.
Speaking of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, my guess is one of the assistants gets the boot first, probably Reirden.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
This team is stale, this team is stagnant, and this team lacks any kind of spark or pulse. It's been like this for over a season (or maybe even more) now. It's 100% on the management group to fix this. Whether that's the coach or the GM I really don't care at this point.
It's on both. And, yeah, I don't care either.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I get where you're going though. I wrote this after the last Philly game. Malkin never would've taken a retaliation penalty in the third. Couturier wouldn't have cross checked him twice, because Malone would've killed him after the first one. Pens don't have guys like that anymore. They don't have sociopaths like Roberts or instigators like the old Matt Cooke or Ruutu who would piss off the other team so much that they'd go after those guys instead of the Pens stars. The Pens roster needs electrosoff therapy, and a guy like Malone gives them that.
Malone is out 3-4 weeks. He won't be a fix when we need it.

Also he's always injured anymore anyway. Can't be a difference maker when you're never in the lineup.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Speaking of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, my guess is one of the assistants gets the boot first, probably Reirden.
I forget. Which one of Dan McMahon's stooges is Reirden, Patterson or Brisco?

Old
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Malone is out 3-4 weeks. He won't be a fix when we need it.

Also he's always injured anymore anyway. Can't be a difference maker when you're never in the lineup.
A guy like Malone, I concluded. Heck, if TB at 1/3 of the cap hit, I'd even hold my nose and do it.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:07 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

The unfortunate thing is we can't do much right now. No one's going to be dealing too much. The other thing is if we have to acquire a legit Dman I think I might pull a Michael Douglas from Falling Down. We've spent so much time and effort on the D corps and to have to spend assets to add someone because we felt the D wasn't good enough would be insanely hard for me to swallow. The thing is I honestly do think they could use a Dman.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I remember a pretty smart guy suggesting Burrish and Eager when they both went FA a couple years ago, but we don't need guys who can skate and hit everything that moves. We're too nice now.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
IF the Pens make the playoffs are are one-and-done, and Shero doesn't fire Blysma, I'll join you on the fire Shero bandwagon.

But only then.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Fire Shero*

I'd like to see Shero and Bylsma fired. Go let Shero try to create the Nashville Predators 2.0 somewhere else.

But I doubt his job is in jeopardy so I can only hope disco gets canned in the meantime.
Shero came here with pretty much all the pieces in place. Yea he added Kunitz and Neal, but our goalie and forward prospects are laughable. The revolving door on Malkins line was a complete disaster.

This past offseason was absolutely horrendous.

Shero can't sign respectable free agents besides michalek and Martin. He can't draft forwards or sign them here.

I'm just so sick of Shero. There's always some excuse for him

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
While I agree with all of that, those guys belong on the third and most of all the fourth lines. I see NOTHING wrong with Beau Bennett's game. Stick him next to Malkin and Neal. Give the line more creativity, another option to lug the puck, another player who can set Neal up, etc. etc. etc.

One way to salvage this season, in case we do NOT win the Stanley Cup (), is a fairly simple exercise. Stick Beau Bennett on Line 2 and leave him there. Stick Simon Despres either next to Kris Letang (he's earned it), or with one of Engelland or Bortuzzo, but LEAVE HIM IN THE BLOODY LINEUP.

If we do this, that's two less things to worry about for 2013-14. It's time we took a step back in terms of team expectations, and actually try to develop two very good, very important players moving forward. We need to stop with the Band-Aid solutions when we have solutions in-house. Let's start with Bennett and Despres, and let's practice some patience.

When was the last time this organization practiced any patience? When Staal and Malkin were rookies???

Old
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Pancakes

We're second in the conference and we're missing Evgeni Malkin. All this panicking is ridiculous. Even good teams have bad stretches.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:11 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The unfortunate thing is we can't do much right now. No one's going to be dealing too much. The other thing is if we have to acquire a legit Dman I think I might pull a Michael Douglas from Falling Down. We've spent so much time and effort on the D corps and to have to spend assets to add someone because we felt the D wasn't good enough would be insanely hard for me to swallow. The thing is I honestly do think they could use a Dman.
We could use a d-man because we've never gotten guys like Bortuzzo or Strait acclimated to the NHL game in previous seasons. Now we are in the same exact place we've always been because our coach can't trust rookies, and he's positioned himself where he CAN'T play rookies.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I feel exactly the same way. We do need D. But man, we have so many D-men. Just live with the mistakes and hope the younger guys get better and better.

I couldn't sit through that entire movie. I left the movie theater about halfway through it.