HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
02-28-2013, 11:12 PM
LGP89

vCash: 500
I remember after Cooke was suspended after one of his dirtier plays, there was some form of message from Mario basically telling the team that there will be ramifications if they keep playing that way.

The Pens have had their balls cut off.

LGP89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP89 View Post
I remember after Cooke was suspended after one of his dirtier plays, there was some form of message from Mario basically telling the team that there will be ramifications if they keep playing that way.

I SERIOUSLY doubt Mario is happy or satisfied with the way we play, or that he likes what he sees. I think that's nonsense.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Pretty much this. Fleury, for all I knock him, is capable of making a team look much better than it is.

For the time being the Penguins are still leading the division. That give Shero time to see things play out. I'm not looking forward to the next 2-4 weeks on this board
Fleury did that last year, too. It's no coincidence the team looked so much worse with Johnson/Thiessen in net. Oddly enough, my eyes were opened to the glaring holes in this team coming out of the All-Star break last year and they've done absolutely nothing to address them.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
KHstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP89 View Post

What does that have to do with letting the other team cycle us to death and not cover the guy in front?

KHstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 PM
BHD
Shades of Dupuis

I'm Florida at the moment. Should I devote any amount of interest to this team during my travels?

BHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I remember a pretty smart guy suggesting Burrish and Eager when they both went FA a couple years ago, but we don't need guys who can skate and hit everything that moves. We're too nice now.
I'm struggling to determine which bold line is more hyperbolic.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
IF the Pens make the playoffs are are one-and-done, and Shero doesn't fire Blysma, I'll join you on the fire Shero bandwagon.

But only then.
If the Pens are one and done and Shero does his cosmetic deadline deals bull**** again, then firing Bylsma shouldn't earn him a pass. It will, but it shouldn't.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:21 PM
thecore

- I came back from a Midterm Managerial Accounting Exam expecting to watch a hockey game. Instead, I got the Pittsburgh Penguins Vagina Monologues.

thecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

First we need more skill and have too many grinders and now apparently we don't have enough grinders and need some more tough plugs because now we're neutered?

Which is it? Can we stick to one narrative at least?

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

I miss 2009... Such a good year. The future looked so much brighter back then...

If I knew the future back in 2009, I would have wanted somebody to kill me then.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
While I agree with all of that, those guys belong on the third and most of all the fourth lines. I see NOTHING wrong with Beau Bennett's game. Stick him next to Malkin and Neal. Give the line more creativity, another option to lug the puck, another player who can set Neal up, etc. etc. etc.

One way to salvage this season, in case we do NOT win the Stanley Cup (), is a fairly simple exercise. Stick Beau Bennett on Line 2 and leave him there. Stick Simon Despres either next to Kris Letang (he's earned it), or with one of Engelland or Bortuzzo, but LEAVE HIM IN THE BLOODY LINEUP.

If we do this, that's two less things to worry about for 2013-14. It's time we took a step back in terms of team expectations, and actually try to develop two very good, very important players moving forward. We need to stop with the Band-Aid solutions when we have solutions in-house. Let's start with Bennett and Despres, and let's practice some patience.

When was the last time this organization practiced any patience? When Staal and Malkin were rookies???
I see nothing wrong with BB's game. BUT, he's the wrong choice for Malkin and Neal for reasons that should be pretty obvious.

By the way, Therrien had a lot of patience with young players. Think about how he handled Letang and how Bylsma has handled Despres. I'm not saying Despres = Letang, but Therrien gave Letang a ton of rope. Heck, compare how he uses a young spark plug named Max Talbot to how Bylsma uses a young spark plug named Joe Vitale. So, to answer your question, the last time this organization had patience with young players was that went out the door with Therrien.

Old
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Also just to add as a sidenote, there may also be a chance management writes this year off as a big mulligan due to The lockout

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm struggling to determine which bold line is more hyperbolic.
Hey, be nice!!!

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
This team is stale, this team is stagnant, and this team lacks any kind of spark or pulse. It's been like this for over a season (or maybe even more) now. It's 100% on the management group to fix this. Whether that's the coach or the GM I really don't care at this point.
I agree for the most part. This team needs to be shaken up. 2-4 players need to be moved, coaches need to go.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:23 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with BB's game. BUT, he's the wrong choice for Malkin and Neal for reasons that should be pretty obvious.
Obviously, it's not obvious to some people.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:23 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I agree for the most part. This team needs to be shaken up. 2-4 players need to be moved, coaches need to go.
Well... I agree with all of that.

List of players I wouldn't be sad to never see play as a Penguin ever again:

Kennedy
Adams
Glass
Niskanen
Engelland

Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecore View Post
- I came back from a Midterm Managerial Accounting Exam expecting to watch a hockey game. Instead, I got the Pittsburgh Penguins Vagina Monologues.
You taped Bylsma's post game PC too?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Pancakes

Bylsma is not going to get fired while we sit 2nd in the conference, nor should he be.

The time to fire Bylsma was the end of last year, but since Shero didn't do that, he's now basically stuck with him until the end of this season's playoffs, unless the team goes in a huge tailspin.

No matter how much it might seem justified you cannot fire a coach when the team is overall doing as well as it is.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Obviously, it's not obvious to some people.
No, which is why I said should be.

Old
MrBurghundy

Quote:
No, which is why I said should be.
Obviously.

Old
thecore

Our 4th line is almost comical how offensively inept they are. I think if they had 30 seconds zone time every single shift they'd still only score 5 goals per season.

thecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

I meant to post this one here and not in the winger acquisition thread, so here goes cut/paste:

Our defenders make bad mistakes, sure, but our poor D has nothing to do with the D-men we have, nor had last year. Just go and ask Phoenix fans about Michalek or Anaheim fans wrt. Lovejoy.

It is because our defensive system is terrible, our breakouts 'support' giving up odd-man rushes; our forwards allow opposing teams to outnumber our D behind our cage, and our coaching mongrel consistently finds poor fits as regards pairings.... the latest example being the Niskanen-Letang pairing which I warned against since before the season started. It is being ABUSED physically, leading to them playing scared/soff/running around and leaking goals in front of Fleury (and Vokoun, like I said after the Florida game, he was not good, but not nearly culpable).

Our problems are system based - and other coaching related matters such as discipline, accountability, intestinal fortitude, desire etc. - much more so than they are due to a poor roster. Not that we cannot certainly use changes on that front mind, but if we had healthy fundamentals as a hockey team, and we patently do not and haven't for more than two years, lots of players would come to look better.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
not sure why everyone is so disgusted that we lost. Carolina has a vastly more talented forward roster than we do. If they play hard, they'll probably win. We just don't match up well with their speed and skill. When they work hard and go to the net, we'll have a hard time beating them, even with Geno in the lineup.
Thanks for the compliments. And I don't see any Pens fans before or after the game calling us a "garbage franchise" like a bunch of loser fans of a certain team that plays in a godforsaken swamp close to NY city.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
First we need more skill and have too many grinders and now apparently we don't have enough grinders and need some more tough plugs because now we're neutered?

Which is it? Can we stick to one narrative at least?
What we need is the anti-Tanner Glass. A more skilled player would work. A Steve MacIntyre or other enforcer would work. Two opposite ends of the spectrum. Both anti-Glass. Both would work.

A fourth line that does SOMETHING would be nice. We lost Jordan Staal's production on the third line, which means we also lost Tyler Kennedy as an NHL player. I don't know where Matt Cooke is 4 out of 5 games. And we have the least productive fourth line in the NHL. You can't win with this setup.

When Shero traded Jordan Staal, he forgot one thing: he built this team WITH Staal as a vital cog.

The whole thing doesn't work now when you take out that cog.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Bylsma is not going to get fired while we sit 2nd in the conference, nor should he be.

The time to fire Bylsma was the end of last year, but since Shero didn't do that, he's now basically stuck with him until the end of this season's playoffs
, unless the team goes in a huge tailspin.

No matter how much it might seem justified you cannot fire a coach when the team is overall doing as well as it is.
Lou Lamoriello says 'hi'. Then again, he's a GM with balls who's fired his conference leading coach twice in the last 12 years on the grounds that he saw a playoff debacle coming. Once, his team won the cup as a result. The other time, they lost in round two (five one goal games) to the eastern conference champion. You know what? I'd take a hard fought second round loss right now, because it's a lot more than I expect to see from Bylsma when the playoffs come.