HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
03-01-2013, 05:31 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Devils PGT is full of Semin regret as well. most Wings PGTs after losses are full of Semin regret. just sayin'.
What an odd regret to have. And if someone who knows nothing about hockey just read this, they'd find it creepy.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:56 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
does anybody else develop a big dislike against Niskanen? I just want him to be gone. I don't see what he does what Despres can't. Trade that guy while he has value..
someone has to fill lovejoy's role on the team.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:09 AM
nhindian

lol this board

FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!

....and replace them with whom?

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:30 AM
khaoskennedy

Did anyone ever say what happened to Martin? or acknowledge he was injured?
Our amazing Commentators didnt even notice he was missing an enitre period

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:31 AM
plaidchuck

Trust me things are gonna have to get a whole lost worse for them to fire Bylsma.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:44 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise View Post
I will say this much: I'm 100% confident this team is going to make the playoffs. If they go out in the first round with an effort like that, then a coaching change should be at hand.

I just don't see who they would bring in right now to magically make the team play better and get them to Lord Stanley.
Why is making the playoffs the benchmark?

Let's all do an honest reevaluation. If we truly believe that Crosby and Malkin are as good as we say they are - and I believe they are - then our sights, expectations, etc... should be slightly higher than, "Hey, we're making the playoffs!!!"

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Trust me things are gonna have to get a whole lost worse for them to fire Bylsma.
Agreed. I said in another thread that the earliest he'd be gone is after a one and done in the playoffs because he'll certainly make the playoffs with this group.

The captain (Sid) is understandably not happy lately. You can tell by his tone in interviews etc. I agree with those that say the Pens could use another veteran leader on the team. It might help Sid out a bit. I know Sid talked about how much easier it was on him when Guerin was around a few years ago.

Skinner had a goal and I'd give him a 10 for the first dive and an 8 or so for the 2nd one. Nice to see him back from the concussion though. Just too bad it was against us.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
Did anyone ever say what happened to Martin? or acknowledge he was injured?
Our amazing Commentators didnt even notice he was missing an enitre period
Bylsma said in his post game interview that Martin left with a lower body injury. I don't remember hearing the announcers say anything during the game but at that point I was too pissed off to pay attention to what they were saying anyway. The only thing I remember was Errey losing his mind for a handful of minutes over Crosby making a between the legs pass in a blowout game.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:57 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Bylsma said in his post game interview that Martin left with a lower body injury. I don't remember hearing the announcers say anything during the game but at that point I was too pissed off to pay attention to what they were saying anyway. The only thing I remember was Errey losing his mind for a handful of minutes over Crosby making a between the legs pass in a blowout game.
(they never mentioned the Martin injury)

Let's talk about Errey for a minute. I like Errey. I generally agree with the people who excuse his aloofness as "having to deal with Steigyitis"

But he was a professional hockey player. He played on some great NHL teams. There is no way he would have said, "it's okay that we lost, did you see that sick play that Mario made?" which is basically what he said after a rather typical Sid pass last night (and a play in which Sid needs to score 100% of the time).

They were both reached an all-time low last night with their 'ignore the loss, pay attention to inanity" bit. I wanted to punch a kitten.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
(they never mentioned the Martin injury)

Let's talk about Errey for a minute. I like Errey. I generally agree with the people who excuse his aloofness as "having to deal with Steigyitis"

But he was a professional hockey player. He played on some great NHL teams. There is no way he would have said, "it's okay that we lost, did you see that sick play that Mario made?" which is basically what he said after a rather typical Sid pass last night (and a play in which Sid needs to score 100% of the time).

They were both reached an all-time low last night with their 'ignore the loss, pay attention to inanity" bit. I wanted to punch a kitten.
I agree that the fan base doesn't want them to ignore the loss and pay attention to the inanity in that situation. He may be instructed to do so though. We don't know what was going on there behind the scenes. I have heard some announcers say in the past that they've been told to keep it positive about the team and I've seen announcers let go for not being positive enough about their team.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:11 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:

Let's all do an honest reevaluation. If we truly believe that Crosby and Malkin are as good as we say they are - and I believe they are - then our sights, expectations, etc... should be slightly higher than, "Hey, we're making the playoffs!!!"
Cant speak for the team but this is the problem with the mentality of the fans. They/we feel that being in the playoffs is a lock, and if there are problems they will magically go away during the playoffs and the team will go into some higher gear that we haven't seen the last three years.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:12 AM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
If we truly believe that Crosby and Malkin are as good as we say they are - and I believe they are - then our sights, expectations, etc... should be slightly higher than, "Hey, we're making the playoffs!!!"
Two players don't make a team.

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:12 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
does anybody else develop a big dislike against Niskanen? I just want him to be gone. I don't see what he does what Despres can't. Trade that guy while he has value..
He is our worst defender currently. I agree he needs moved with TK somewhere. I like TK, but I can't stand the btching and moaning about him anymore on this board. I just want it to stop. TK plays solid games and people rip him up and down. Pens need to shake this roster up significantly. I wouldn't mind an Orpik for Scuderi trade either.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+25+26+27+28#

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't know which of Letang/Niskanen to blame more. It's easy to put it on Nisky but Letang has been equally horrible, imo. I think both players are good players but they aren't a good D pair.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:26 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
I don't know which of Letang/Niskanen to blame more. It's easy to put it on Nisky but Letang has been equally horrible, imo. I think both players are good players but they aren't a good D pair.
That's why I say let Niskanen go and put someone more stay at home with Letang. Orpik can go too but replacing two top 4 dmen would probably be nigh impossible.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:30 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
I agree that the fan base doesn't want them to ignore the loss and pay attention to the inanity in that situation. He may be instructed to do so though. We don't know what was going on there behind the scenes. I have heard some announcers say in the past that they've been told to keep it positive about the team and I've seen announcers let go for not being positive enough about their team.
You're right, I still think Steigy/Errey take it so much farther than they have to though. Other than the scoreboard if you watched that game there was no indication we were getting outplayed. Aside from when the Canes actually scored a goal, you really didn't get the impression it was anything but an even game. Hell it probably sounded like a boring game, because they were avoiding talking about the game as much as they could since it wasn't going well. That's not right.

I'm also vehemently opposed to when they flat out make stuff up. Letang knocks over E. Staal after the puck is gone early in the game? "Wow, he barely hit him." Adams crosschecks Kopecky after he scores and Kopecky is visibly in pain on the ice? "It wasn't a 'vicious' cross check." Then after an admittedly blatant dive, they claim he dove again when he would've had a clear breakaway and Bortuzzo obviously put a stick in his skates. Bs

Then they start with the excuses at the end of the game. "Little known fact: The bus's doors wouldn't open and they were late because of that, so it really does throw off the routine." "The Hurricanes desperately wanted a win tonight by the way." It's a joke.

Oh, and did Sutter have a good game last night? I only heard them say it 6-8 times throughout the broadcast. It's all propoganda. "Hey Jordan's team is whooping our ass but don't worry, Sutter looks good too!". FYI Sutter had an okay game, nothing special.

How do Lange and Bourque sounds 1000x better than these clowns and all the while I don't feel like they're putting a spin job on the entire game? Bourque gets really animated when a Penguin makes a really nice play. Other than that they're as objective as you can expect. The same cannot be said on the TV side. It's obvious they're being told to be positive, but this is just ridiculous.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:30 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore View Post
Two players don't make a team.
That's not really the point, right? (right)

If you have the two best players in the world, it should be significantly easier to build championship team.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:33 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
That's why I say let Niskanen go and put someone more stay at home with Letang. Orpik can go too but replacing two top 4 dmen would probably be nigh impossible.
Promote Despres and add a stay at home type via trade.

Despres-Letang
Regehr-Martin
Nisky-Engelland

Give them all solid minutes. Address our issues up front using Brooks as the trade chip. You'd change the dynamic in the locker room and sell high on a depreciating asset.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Promote Despres and add a stay at home type via trade.

Despres-Letang
Regehr-Martin
Nisky-Engelland

Give them all solid minutes. Address our issues up front using Brooks as the trade chip. You'd change the dynamic in the locker room and sell high on a depreciating asset.
Sounds good. I'd happily take a growing pains year like the Devils did if it translated to more consistency later.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I think Orpik will be fine he just needs to get rid of the damn puck. I don't know why, but the last few games he gets the puck in the corner and for some unknown reason he'll stick handle with it until an opposing player is a foot away, THEN try to clear it. It makes no friggin sense.

I actually think there is a reason for Despres sitting: he's inconsistent. I'm not sure how you could say he's not. He should never be playing any less than an even split with Bortuzzo though, however I don't think that'll be an issue anymore since Martin may be hurt and Bortuzzo frankly ain't that great.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:40 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I think Orpik will be fine he just needs to get rid of the damn puck. I don't know why, but the last few games he gets the puck in the corner and for some unknown reason he'll stick handle with it until an opposing player is a foot away, THEN try to clear it. It makes no friggin sense.

I actually think there is a reason for Despres sitting: he's inconsistent. I'm not sure how you could say he's not. He should never be playing any less than an even split with Bortuzzo though, however I don't think that'll be an issue anymore since Martin may be hurt and Bortuzzo frankly ain't that great.
I'd rather deal with Despres' mistakes. See what we have in him. He certainly wouldn't be any less effective around the net than Brooks.

That locker room needs a wakeup call.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Pancakes

Quote:

With Malkin out I don't think we should be sitting anyone who has offensive talent because scoring goals is a whole lot harder without Geno.

Despres should be in.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
plaidchuck

Well with another injury wonder if we'll see a move sooner rather than later. Sucks because if Shero is desperate we'll have to give up more.

Or of course he could be thinking they have a good enough roster to win right now and just need to get to "their game", which consists of Crosby going into god mode, which unfortunately doesn't happen much anymore.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
That's the problem, I could excuse his diminishing physical game if he could play relatively mistake free, but now he's making rookie like turnovers.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:51 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd rather deal with Despres' mistakes. See what we have in him. He certainly wouldn't be any less effective around the net than Brooks.

That locker room needs a wakeup call.
Well that won't happen and for good reason. I have no problem with people saying they want to tweak the lineup a bit but I don't get these crazy changes where a guy who frankly is still kinda raw takes over for a well-established player.