HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
The team just looked flat out horrible tonight, probably the worst I've seen in the last year or so. Even in the Flyers series we were generating chances left and right. I just don't think there are a lot of parallels to draw here, even if there are some of the same symptoms present.

If we're playing this poorly this season according to people and still are one of the top teams in the league, it stands to reason that the team can improve and be a force, especially with some deadline acquistions to fill some holes. A little patience goes a long way.
Most of their success in the regular season is the fact that Crosby and Malkin are on the team and we have the puck a lot because of it. Staal used to be included but now we just have a good checking line center in his place. There isn't enough after those two guys.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I've NEVER heard of a team being this choosy with free agents and draftees. The draft is one thing because it's far from an exact science, so I can allow for a lot of leeway there (the questionable success of their strategy being a "win now" franchise is another conversation), but seriously it's ridiculous with these free agents.

We've passed on so, so, SO many players because they didn't play exactly like "Penguins". The whole time the majority of people supported this because 'this team is special.' Well guess what it's 3-4 years later and we're short on offensive depth. One of our studs gets hurt and there isn't enough hands and creativity to propel us to win now that Staal's gone. We have a great pool of D prospects, but who the hell cares? The Cup is the goal, not to have a stacked D five years from now.
Absolutely agree.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
chethejet

Letang is going nowhere. Team owner is French Canadian. Really tired of Orpik. He acts as if he is above the teams issues. I trade him as fast as I can.

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
ramp23

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
-Making **** teams look like the 80s oilers
I hope you will re-think that comment.

ramp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp23 View Post
why?

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I don't think the current situation can continue, but Shero is pathologically patient. He'll bide his time; that's how he operates.
I don't disagree. That's what you get with a David Poile disciple. That's why I referenced after last game how a LL in NJ twice canned his coach despite his team being tops in the east because he felt like a playoff debacle was coming. Once, his team won the cup. The other time, they lost in Round 2 (2007 to Ottawa). Imagine that . . . a GM who views his team's regular season play with the ultimate goal of winning cups.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:14 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Because he fell into the same trap that unfortunately snares a ton of message board posters here:

"We have Sid and Geno, the rest will just work itself out"
You always talk about the pens talent but the pens talent is atleast top 3 in the league. They lose because they dont play def and lack discipline. You can't always use the besides sid and geno argument their the best players in the world u cant just excuse them when u talk about the pens talent. Its like saying the miami heat have no talent besides lebron and wade.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Most of their success in the regular season is the fact that Crosby and Malkin are on the team and we have the puck a lot because of it. Staal used to be included but now we just have a good checking line center in his place. There isn't enough after those two guys.
Sutter would be perfect as a 3rd line center, if we actually had offensive talent to replace Staal on the top two lines.

We lost Staal, but never replaced him offensively, even though we had the cap space to do it, and still do.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fordy
the kid signify

Blamed the losses on the fact that it was in Florida and North Carolina instead of somewhere like New York as well. Was asked if Martin was sat as a coaching decision or because of an injury, and sounded like he was making the lower body injury day to day **** up on the fly.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp23 View Post
Sure a bit of an exageration, but there WERE two slam dunk passes from behind the net for Carolina.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adams27

Wait there was a pens game tonight?

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
For as much as we've disagreed about a lot of things, I've got to say that this is a ballsy prescription (and one with which I do NOT disagree).
It's nice that we can agree on some things.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
why?
Because Carolina is not a **** team and the Pens aren't that great?

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
-Making **** teams look like the 80s oilers
Pens are a **** team, incase you have missed them this season.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Metallurg is 2-2 in it's first round playoff series against Salavat. Game 5 is March 1. Game 6 is March 3. here's hoping that on March 4 somebody who is willing to play stars on the PK is on a plane to Pittsburgh.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Sutter would be perfect as a 3rd line center, if we actually had offensive talent to replace Staal on the top two lines.

We lost Staal, but never replaced him offensively, even though we had the cap space to do it, and still do.
No it's not Sutter's fault at all. That money's just sitting there. A guy like Hudler would've helped us right now, but we don't want to pay anyone that's not amazing. I understand to a degree but I don't know how they expect to ever round out the roster.

I swear to god if the deadline comes and goes and we're without a chair when the music stops because we just couldn't find the right trade, I might jump out a window.

Old
plaidchuck

ok Carolina is cup contender, happy now?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
The team just looked flat out horrible tonight, probably the worst I've seen in the last year or so. Even in the Flyers series we were generating chances left and right. I just don't think there are a lot of parallels to draw here, even if there are some of the same symptoms present.

If we're playing this poorly this season according to people and still are one of the top teams in the league, it stands to reason that the team can improve and be a force, especially with some deadline acquistions to fill some holes. A little patience goes a long way.
But the question is will this team improve with Dan Bylsma at the helm. What about his tenure, since the day he fully implemented his system after the cup win, gives you any confidence? All I see is the Tomlin parallel. Guy wants to be everyone's friend. 'Get to our game' versus 'the standard is the standard'. Thinks X's and O's belong only in a kids game. But, with each day removed from a previous regime personified, for better or worse, by structure and discipline and accountability, it gets further and further from being the juggernaut it once was.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
You always talk about the pens talent but the pens talent is atleast top 3 in the league. They lose because they dont play def and lack discipline. You can't always use the besides sid and geno argument their the best players in the world u cant just excuse them when u talk about the pens talent. Its like saying the miami heat have no talent besides lebron and wade.
Edited before I get infracted....

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Quote:
ok Carolina is cup contender, happy now?
Much.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
It's not that simple. We had Crosby and Malkin under MT and were miserable territorially. And under DB in 2010-2011 we experienced no real drop-off in our puck possession without them.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:18 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
NHL COMPLETELY different than NBA

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
This is what happens when you draft just about zero players with legit potential NHL offensive talent, and completely neglect a gigantic hole or two on this team for multiple seasons in a row.
It's not his fault. Shero can't force players to sign here. ZP was mean and led him on this summer. What was he supposed to do, have other options?

And Shero knows more about prospects than you do so don't you dare question his drafting. DP is going to be a Norris winner next year.

In Shero We Trust!

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Much.
Yep leading their division with 21 points.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Would you like me to list the top 9 forwards of our team and then that of the Hawks, Bruins, Flyers, Sharks, Blues, etc.?