HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL officiating is making me embarssed to call myself a fan

Old
03-10-2013, 10:34 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
NHL officiating is making me embarssed to call myself a fan

Anyone else feeling this way? Tonight was simply the final straw that broke my back.

When Jackman gets a slashing call for pushing Perry, and Perry doesn't get a call despite returning the push (and they were both weak pushes) it appears that the referees have no interest in calling a fair game. To me, it very clearly stated that the referees believe themselves to be bigger than the game.

And you know what? It certainly seems that way. The same refs get to continue refing, the only "punishment" is really just the lack of reward, which isn't the same thing.

I love the Blues, but it is getting to the point where the referees are influcing the outcome of games WAY too much. Sometimes it works against the Blues, like tonight. Sometimes it works for the Blues. But regardless of it working for or against a specific team on a given night, it is preventing a fair competition between teams from being decided by skill and effort.

Can anyone talk me back from the ledge?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
It's always been bad, and they had a long lockout too. Their play has been like Elliott's though lol.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:54 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

Jackman did slash Perry. FSN didn't show it on the replay. Still a pretty soft call, but they were calling soft penalties all night. Not so sure it was that one sided, but it's still frustrating.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
zico20

Referring in hockey has always been brutal. Each ref has his own personal favorite teams and ones they dislike. Years ago the Game Night Revue kept stats on each ref and it was so obvious which ones favored the Blues and which ones screwed the Blues on a regular basis.

An example: Richard Trottier back in the late 90s would screw the Blues EVERY single game he did. The NHL experimented with allowing the refs to do multiple games at home so they wouldnt have to travel so much. Trottier did 3 games in a row and didnt call one single penalty on the opposing team. He did manage to call I think 21 penalties on the Blues during that 3 games. Luckily, the other ref made up for it by calling the penalties against the opposition. I cant believe a ref can go 3 games and not call one penalty against a team. Trottier once gave a team 14 PPs in one game against us. I wonder if the NHL fired him back in 2001 or so when he left the league.

I also question if refs are fixing games. Either by favoring one team OR by calling lots of penalties to push the score over the goal number. We know soccer has seen its fair share of fixed matches, I wouldnt put it past the refs in the NHL to fix a few games a year. For that matter, any sport in the USA.

zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:40 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I don't really think there's some grand conspiracy against the Blues, or any other team in the league for that matter. I think it's the league artificially trying to increase scoring by doing something other than spreading the posts or decreasing the size of the goalie pads. I'd rather just have 2-1 and 1-0 games quite honestly, but the casual fan finds that incredibly boring.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:08 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlytheRiver View Post
Jackman did slash Perry. FSN didn't show it on the replay. Still a pretty soft call, but they were calling soft penalties all night. Not so sure it was that one sided, but it's still frustrating.
Do you have any proof of this? Because they didn't show a slash live either. I had it DVR'ed. No slash that I could see from my feed. Got a clip that shows the slash?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:13 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I also don't think it's any conspiracy against the Blues. A conspiracy implies some level of competence. I just think it's incompetence that hits you at scattered times. As a lifelong hockey fan hockey has always, always, always had far and away the worst officiating.

Obviously within a particular game a particular ref can have made up his mind to reward or punish a team – that happens all the time. Today was clearly an intentional thing these specific refs deccided to pull on this specific day. But I don't think it's some larger conspiracy.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:14 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

On the slash, it was literally the lightest of taps. Ducks announcers went to break with no clue there would be a penalty, came back openly scoffing at the horrific call. They were like, check this **** out, you're not going to believe it!

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

It was a little one handed chop. That's it. Possibly the worst call I've ever seen.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:31 AM
diehardbluesfan

I thought the slash on Getzlaf was weak. He drops his stick a few strides after his stick was even made.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Red08

Ducks reminded of the Canucks last night... And it worked.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote