Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Happy Hains Day! Jets win 3-1

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 11:09 PM
rp2323

vCash: 500
pre game skate watched Ladd flip half dozen pucks to kids around the blue line. 3 points. great effort, great captain.

Kane... had a great shift in the first... made a change and STOOD on the bench watching the play for close to two minutes.

Buff and Bogo were studs...

team shows effort on all fronts. Win or loose... with effort like this am steadily becoming a believer in this team.

Now just need Chevy to put some more parts together and MAYBE.... my adopted home town JETS will get a cup before the Nucks.

Go JETS!

Old
02-28-2013, 11:09 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
I have to agree with that, it seems as though our top 6 is pretty much set in stone. It's our bottom 6 that is the problem. I don't mind the way the third line currently works. Jokinen seems to work pretty well with big forechecking wingers trying to get him the puck every chance they get. Wright and Peluso seem pretty good at that (see last game). But ideally they're 4th line guys. Unfortunately we traded an ideal 3rd line guy.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Hank Chinaski

Since I didn't see Lynk do it...

Antropov - Another game where I didn't see much from him, good or bad. Some smart passes here and there, but a pretty nondescript game from him.

Bogosian - Disgustingly good. A couple of crushing checks, some nice looking rushes, very sound decisions in his own end. Zachy Goj continues to deliver.

Burmistrov - Continues to impress me with his battle along the boards. Didn't quite show the flair we saw in the New York game, but a solid showing nonetheless.

Byfuglien - He's back. Looked great all night, maybe a couple of moments where he might have been a bit out of position. The rush he had leading to Ladd's goal was epic, and he created several other chances. Loved the hit he threw on Kovalchuk in the 2nd.

Clitsome - Couldn't believe how often he was matched up against Kovalchuk! Had a few Clit-less moments at the point at even strength (and don't get me started what a bad option this guy on the PP), but I have to give him props for a beautiful neutral zone breakup in the 2nd that prevented a breakaway. Also made a few nice blocks.

Hainsey - So-so. Couple times where he covered Stu and made a good breakup (EDIT: Was it Stuart? Can't remember who his partner was on that shift, might have been Buff, anyway it was great positioning), but I really didn't like how flat footed he looked on Loktionov's goal.

Jokinen - Pair of beautiful chances in the slot, just couldn't convert. Continues to do a solid job at both ends of the rink.

Kane - Didn't score, but looked dangerous every time he touched the puck. My lone complaint would be a few times where he flubbed when trying to chip the puck out. Also, his play on the PP continues to disappoint.

Ladd - Bawse.

Little - Didn't really seem on his game today, don't know what it was. Pretty meh overall. Put a glorious chance right between the N and the J on Hedberg's jersey.

Pavelec - Might have wanted Loktionov's goal back, but made several beautiful saves otherwise. Seems to have found his game.

Peluso - Had a brutal turnover in the 2nd where he got way too fancy at the top of the NJ circle, and I don't think he saw many (any?) shifts after that.

Postma - Pretty nondescript. Can't think of many things he did good or bad.

Slater - Thought he did a real good job on the PK, can't recall much of what he did even strength.

Stuart - Found himself out of position a few times, and really gave the Devils grinders more space than they should've had. In typical Stu fashion, he redeemed himself with some nice hits and by blocking some shots.

Tangradi - Invisible. Whatever he brings to the lineup, I'm just not seeing it. He seems really slow to anticipate and react to just about everything.

Thorburn - Can't really say, he barely saw the ice.

Wheeler - Y U NO SHOOT ON 2 ON 1!? Overall was pretty happy with Wheeler's game, he's moving his feet and trying hard. Beauty head fake on that EN goal!

Wright - Becoming a big fan of his. Plays the exact style you love to see from an energy player, lots of speed and physicality. Did a great job setting up Olli in the first period, shame he couldn't convert.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 02-28-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 11:13 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Byfuglien - He's back. Looked great all night, maybe a couple of moments where he might have been a bit out of position. The rush he had leading to Ladd's goal was epic, and he created several other chances. Loved the hit he threw on Kovalchuk in the 2nd.
I wouldn't be so sure. He made at least a couple very weak passes, and completely wiffed on two one-timers, which aren't his character. I'm still concerned about him.

The rush was pure beauty however.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils

Andrew Ladd's goal was fastest in history vs. Devils at the start of a game. Yvon Corriveau (Caps) scored 10 seconds in Jan. 24, 1990

Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Have to add Hank

Wright: becoming more confident with the puck, made a couple of nice feeds to Jokinen

Jokinen: really don't like him on the point on the PP, turned over the puck a few times there and in even strength, not his best game

Antro; good and bad a few blatant turnovers but strong on the puck down low and won battles along the boards

Buff: beast tonight, his best game since he's been back

Tangradi; useless a waste of any kind of pick, soft, soft, soft.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Win. Things to note. Coach doesn't trust peluso but I don't know why. Grind improves to 4 and 0. Moral of the story. Give me your tickets

Old
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I have to agree with that, it seems as though our top 6 is pretty much set in stone. It's our bottom 6 that is the problem. I don't mind the way the third line currently works. Jokinen seems to work pretty well with big forechecking wingers trying to get him the puck every chance they get. Wright and Peluso seem pretty good at that (see last game). But ideally they're 4th line guys. Unfortunately we traded an ideal 3rd line guy.
mhmm
although I still would like Antro on the 3rd... he can forecheck and distribute to Jokinen no problem...

I agree... too bad we don't have Poni instead of Tangradi

LLW
KB?
?JA
WSP

Old
02-28-2013, 11:24 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

I know not a lot of you think much of Antropov, however I really think he is the glue for Kane and Burmi. He is effective and is able to feed Kane the puck well with ease. Also Burmi seems to be most comfortable playing with Antropov.

I find this line to be more and more interesting as they start to gel and build chemistry. I do hope Antropov sticks with the Jets, especially if they are in the playoff picture. After all, he scored the first goal for the Jets 2.0. heh.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

You did good, Hank. Real good.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

The fact that Antropov is off the PK says a lot.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Inflict
Viking

I liked our physical play this game. Goaltending also came up huge. We started strong and finished strong, but everything in between was pretty bad for the Jets. Not sure how I feel about this game but glad we got the win tonight.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I have to say Pavelec has been playing well lately...
Maybe we should never rest him...

Old
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Jets fourth line is a sore spot this year, neither Thorbs or Slater are really very good, throw in all but useless Tangradi and you really don't have much.

I have knocked Chevy's waiver wire pickups in the past but both Wright and Peluso and even Clitsome have shown he is pretty astute.

I think Peluso has already shown he can replace Thorburn, aside from faceoffs Slater is pretty useless.
Slater is a good penalty killer too and with more useful wingers might actually get back to cycling the puck and getting the odd goal.

Tangradi had a really nice hit but other than that was not a factor. He needs to start hitting or his NHL dream will probably end.

When Mittens gets back I really do think we might see us part ways with one or two of these guys. Thorburn is not an NHL'er IMHO.

02-28-2013, 11:37 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Slater is a good penalty killer too and with more useful wingers might actually get back to cycling the puck and getting the odd goal.

Tangradi had a really nice hit but other than that was not a factor. He needs to start hitting or his NHL dream will probably end.

When Mittens gets back I really do think we might see us part ways with one or two of these guys. Thorburn is not an NHL'er IMHO.
The problem with Tangradi's big hit is that was a moment where a poke check would have been better. He would have had a clear lane into the slot... although... he might not have been able to do anything with it.

I agree; Slater is a very capable bottom6 goal scorer who can win face-offs. Just he doesn't have anyone serving him up lately. Wright-Slater-Pelus when Mittens returns and we take back our Poni trade could work jk

Old
02-28-2013, 11:40 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post

The Jets depth at forward on the farm is pretty bad if guys like Thorburn and Tangradi still hold roster spots. Pretty sure Noel and Chevy are well aware of that fact.

I like Slater, he is a good 4th line centre that has an amazing knack in the faceoff circle, he really doesn't have much in the way of hockey sense though and there is no O in his game, his longevity in the NHL can be attributed to his hard work but unlike last season he just doesn't seem like a threat to score at all. Would be nice to see him with Mittens and ?

Tangradi is clearly an AHL player.

Thorburn has become obsolete.

Last edited by sipowicz: 02-28-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Unlike last season, we're up there with FEWER games than some other teams. Last season we were temporarily in a playoff spot but only had more points only because we played half-a-dozen games more than everybody else. Here's my take on it, PMPG = Points Minus Games Played. This compensates for teams having played anywhere from 17 to 22 games so far this season.

TEAMPMGPComments
Boston11Played fewer games than Montreal and Pittsburgh
Montreal9 
Ottawa6 
Pittsburgh5 
New Jersey4 
Toronto4 
Carolina2 
Winnipeg12 more ROW than Rangers
NY Rangers1 
Tampa Bay-1 
Philadelphia-1 
NY Islanders-3 
Florida-3 
Washington-4 
Buffalo-4 

And playoff chances are up to 46.6% according to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E.../Winnipeg.html

Last edited by knorthern knight: 03-01-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Accomadate late update by NHL.com
Old
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Is it just me, or does anybody else feel that our "one-timer" shots from the point are over-rated? Tonight was a glaring example.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:55 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The fact that Antropov is off the PK says a lot.
No not really? Antropov is pretty good on the PK if I recall. I think Wright has taken up Antropov's minutes on the PK.

EDIT: nm, looking at the stats suggests otherwise.... SH TOI is 17:23 with 8 PPGA.

Last edited by JustBeCool: 03-01-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: i dun goofed on stats
Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Boreal

I am all for giving guys time to develop, but I am concerned that Tangradi is not showing much of anything. Granted it only cost us a 7th rounder that we recouped in the Ponikarovsky deal, but there are enough reasons to believe that he might not be long for this team. Even though Machacek has been disappointing in the A a little bit this year, there is no denying that he produced at a much higher clip in a bottom six role up here in the show then Tangradi is doing.

Oh well, I still think it was a quality trade, taking a 7th round flier on Tangradi to see if he can find his groove. Maybe he will, but it is going to have to happen quick.

As far as Chris Thorburn goes, I have always been of the belief that he does not fit the 'tough guy' role well in the NHL, but unfortunately does not have the skills to do much of anything else. He seems like a great guy, but the fourth line in my opinion should be:

Miettinen/Wright - Slater - Peluso

With a third line of:

Miettinen/Wright - Jokinen - Wellwood

Great win, though!

Old
03-01-2013, 12:23 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

We seem to be doing okay with Wellwood no where near the ice.
I'm not a Wellwood hater by any stretch, but why we would bring him back into the fold right now is beyond me.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:24 AM
ahplk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Unlike last season, we're up there with FEWER games than some other teams. Last season we were temporarily in a playoff spot but only had more points only because we played half-a-dozen games more than everybody else. Here's my take on it, PMPG = Points Minus Games Played. This compensates for teams having played anywhere from 17 to 22 games so far this season.

TEAMPMGPComments
Boston11Played fewer games than Montreal and Pittsburgh
Montreal9 
Ottawa6 
Pittsburgh5 
New Jersey5 
Toronto4 
Carolina2Better goals +/- than the Jets
Winnipeg2 
NY Rangers1 
Tampa Bay-1 
Philadelphia-1 
NY Islanders-3 
Florida-3 
Washington-4 
Buffalo-4 

And playoff chances are up to 46.6% according to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E.../Winnipeg.html
We're actually at 1 (21 points in 20 games). NHL.com had it as only 19 games played for some reason even though we have a 10-9-1 record in your screenshot.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:28 AM
ahplk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsBeCool View Post
No not really? Antropov is pretty good on the PK if I recall. I think Wright has taken up Antropov's minutes on the PK.

EDIT: nm, looking at the stats suggests otherwise.... SH TOI is 17:23 with 8 PPGA.
I think Kane's taken up Antro's PK minutes. Antro always played with Burmi on PK and now Kane is up there with him. Wright is taking up what Glass was eating on the PK with Slater last year, although Thorbs has played with Slater some PK shifts too.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:31 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Maybe Antropov was on the PK at the beginning of the year, but i don't think he's had a single shift in 5 games or even longer.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:35 AM
jungles

Great win. The Jets disappeared for about a period and a half, but they played a great last 10 minutes.

We need to figure out this PP at some point. It is beyond awful. The wins are masking it right now, but if the losses start to mount we know where to point.

Closed Thread