Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Happy Hains Day! Jets win 3-1

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 12:45 AM
topcat986*

vCash: 500
I am really torn watching the home town Jets play love when they win and cringe at thought of not getting a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft. Hell if they miss out and get Monahan I would still be happy with it.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:45 AM
TroubaFan1

Solid team effort again by the Jets, also the crowd seemed alot better tonight, way to go Jets fans! Pavs was solid again tonight as well, he won us this game with some outstanding saves! Go Jets Go!

Old
03-01-2013, 12:48 AM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
i like slater. but he needs skill guys around him to be at his best... 2nd or 3rd line... but with our top 2 lines set thats not going to happen

with our excess of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks i wouldnt be opposed to making a move to try and bolster that 3rd line with another hard working but somewhat offensively minded player... cant think of any names off the top of my head tho

having something like

_______ - jokinen - mittens as the third

wright - slater - peluso as the 4th

tangradi should be in the minors.. problem is wellwood serves no purpose on the 4th line, and hes already shown nothing on the 3rd.. so where does he fit?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I am all for giving guys time to develop, but I am concerned that Tangradi is not showing much of anything. Granted it only cost us a 7th rounder that we recouped in the Ponikarovsky deal, but there are enough reasons to believe that he might not be long for this team. Even though Machacek has been disappointing in the A a little bit this year, there is no denying that he produced at a much higher clip in a bottom six role up here in the show then Tangradi is doing.

Oh well, I still think it was a quality trade, taking a 7th round flier on Tangradi to see if he can find his groove. Maybe he will, but it is going to have to happen quick.

As far as Chris Thorburn goes, I have always been of the belief that he does not fit the 'tough guy' role well in the NHL, but unfortunately does not have the skills to do much of anything else. He seems like a great guy, but the fourth line in my opinion should be:

Miettinen/Wright - Slater - Peluso

With a third line of:

Miettinen/Wright - Jokinen - Wellwood

Great win, though!
I like this lineup too. We aren't losing any grit with Tangradi in the press box. Hard to mess with a winning lineup though.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
You know who this team misses on the power play?

Tim Stapleton

Old
03-01-2013, 01:10 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

Tim Stapleton
and his crazy PP SH%

Old
03-01-2013, 01:10 AM
ahplk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

Tim Stapleton
I remember we were burnt by at least one short handed goal last year that was a result of him being out there and not being able to cover up as a proper D. Given our amount of mistakes on the PP...I don't know if I'd want to see him being the last line of defense.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Tangradi - Invisible. Whatever he brings to the lineup, I'm just not seeing it. He seems really slow to anticipate and react to just about everything.
During his time in Pittsburgh, this was what I saw in Tangradi as well. He's a big guy who has shown glimpses of soft hands, especially in tight areas around the goal. He was great at that in the AHL. He also has the potential to lay big hits on the forecheck and cause some disruptions. He showed that off majorly in the Pens' most recent match-up against the Jets. The problem is that he doesn't do that consistently enough.

I think his main problems are twofold:

1. He has trouble thinking the game at a high speed. This results in him reacting instead of anticipating, and his skating doesn't allow him to make the correct play, or 'catch up' to the play, if you will. Now, I don't think he's a bad skater. He has decent speed, especially for a big guy. He will never be a burner, but that's never going to be his game. His problem is that his acceleration and turning/agility seem somewhat choppy, and it doesn't let him react quick enough physically to make up for his slow mental reading of the play. This is something that I think will improve with time and experience.

2. He isn't extraordinary in any of his skills. He doesn't have an overpowering shot for the NHL (his only career goal was a centering attempt that went in off a defender's skate) and he's not more than an above average passer. He's never going to be the type of player to consistently beat defenders 1 on 1 with his hands.

That being said, he still is rather young and is green in terms of NHL experience. He just needs to figure out the type of player he will have to become in order to survive in the league. It's quite possible that he can carve himself a spot by realizing how to best utilize himself. In my (amateur and humble) opinion, I think he would be best served as a third/fourth line forechecker who specializes in chipping the puck deep and laying a bonecrushing hit on the defender who goes into the corner to play it. If he can improve his boardwork (he needs to win a lot more of these 50/50 battles for a player of his size IMO), and occasionally chip in with a garbage goal or one off the cycle in close, he could stick. He's shown some aptitude towards good give-and-go short passing plays (though not really with our superstars in his limited minutes). He's also quite good at screening the goalie, especially on the power play. He's demonstrated this in both the AHL and NHL.

Another point to make is that he may have been unable to develop his game due to the coaching and treatment he received in Pittsburgh. I think that if he got worked in slowly, starting on the bottom six, he would have had a better chance of figuring out the type of player he needs to be in the big leagues by now. With a full offseason and training camp, he could come to realize this in Winnipeg. I don't think he'll ever be an impact player, but a few years down the line I think he could play in a supporting role. It may never happen, but I also believe that his type of player takes longer to get accustomed and develop. I do hope he develops well for you guys (especially if you move to the West and we play you less often ).

Good win tonight.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:54 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
So satisfying to read the Devils GDT after that. So many tears, so delicious!

Old
03-01-2013, 01:57 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahplk View Post
We're actually at 1 (21 points in 20 games). NHL.com had it as only 19 games played for some reason even though we have a 10-9-1 record in your screenshot.
Sigh. Not surprising, coming from the same group of bozos that want to give us 14+16 team conferences. Looks like they've updated Winnipeg's games played now. Time for an edit

Old
03-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
So satisfying to read the Devils GDT after that. So many tears, so delicious!
I love their absolute loathing of our fans. It really gets under their skin.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:04 AM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
I love their absolute loathing of our fans. It really gets under their skin.
Yep, I was laughing the whole time I was reading it. Devils fans are so incredibly obnoxious themselves and don't seem to realize it in the slightest.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:18 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Yep, I was laughing the whole time I was reading it. Devils fans are so incredibly obnoxious themselves and don't seem to realize it in the slightest.
some of their comments don't make sense...
which is fine and normal, because you get that in every board...
but there's not really any reasonable/logical posters pointing out those comments and correcting them...

Summary:
* we taunted Hedberg = Jets' fans are obnoxious
* Jets' fans are the most biased fans (not quite sure what this means... aren't all fans biased in some sense?)
* Bogosian is a (insert multiple 4 letter words here)
* Jets' are not a playoff team

Quote:
Winnipeg cant move to the West fast enough, their fans are almost as obnoxiously and ludicrously biased as Canadians fans.

Last edited by garret9: 03-01-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old
03-01-2013, 02:20 AM
tntkid

Pavelec was sharp tonight & one of the reasons the Jets won.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:26 AM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
some of their comments don't make sense...
which is fine and normal, because you get that in every board...
but there's not really any reasonable/logical posters pointing out those comments and correcting them...

Summary:
* we taunted Hedberg = Jets' fans are obnoxious
* Jets' fans are the most biased fans (not quite sure what this means... aren't all fans biased in some sense?)
* Bogosian is a (insert multiple 4 letter words here)
* Jets' are not a playoff team
Don't forget that we're booing Kovalchuk because of Atlanta (although to be fair, only a few of them thought that).
There's nothing to do here in February.
We're not creative.
Buff is a fat pile of useless crap (guess that shows how good their D is)
Our D is the worst D to ever play D.
Pavelec is awful and somehow NJ turned him into an all-star.

I can't wait to see the Brodeur-less years.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:29 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

It's not even like our teams are too differently statistically in how they've been performing
http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2012....&section=close

(note: this will update at 3:30 AM PST and my comparison may not be accurate anymore)

Old
03-01-2013, 02:34 AM
Inflict
Viking

Just noticed that Ladd is in the top 5 in goals and top 20 in points (tied with Daniel Sedin and Joe Thorton) so far in the league. It's even more surprising since he only has 2 PP goals. Sure he is overachieving a little bit, but its nice to see our captain prove the haters wrong.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:43 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
Just noticed that Ladd is in the top 5 in goals and top 20 in points (tied with Daniel Sedin and Joe Thorton) so far in the league. It's even more surprising since he only has 2 PP goals. Sure he is overachieving a little bit, but its nice to see our captain prove the haters wrong.
Both Ladd and Kane have really solid ES numbers right now in all areas

Right now they're both top30 in goals per minute of icetime
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...67+17+18+19+20

Old
03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Don't forget that we're booing Kovalchuk because of Atlanta (although to be fair, only a few of them thought that).
There's nothing to do here in February.
We're not creative.
Buff is a fat pile of useless crap (guess that shows how good their D is)
Our D is the worst D to ever play D.
Pavelec is awful and somehow NJ turned him into an all-star.

I can't wait to see the Brodeur-less years.
Buff is a fat pile useless crap?

That end to ender for the winner says otherwise

Old
03-01-2013, 07:08 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Looks who's tied for 3rd in goal scoring:

Nice tweet from Clitsome after the game:

Quote:
Grant Clitsome‏@GClitsome

Big win tonight in front of the MTS faithful. My D partner was in #beastmode tonight on the gwg, and @aladd16 is on fire #takingcharge

Old
03-01-2013, 07:13 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

God bless those 3rd liners!

Old
03-01-2013, 07:25 AM
joescores

Quote:

Hey guys, Grant has been racking up points recently. Can somebody tell me how has he been overall? Any update on when Enstrom will be ready? Much appreciated

Old
03-01-2013, 07:33 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:

Look who also has the best +/- out of the top 5 point leaders, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescores View Post
Hey guys, Grant has been racking up points recently. Can somebody tell me how has he been overall? Any update on when Enstrom will be ready? Much appreciated
He's been better after being a healthy scratch for 3 games. He's still really scary on D and prone to Clitisms, but having a veteran as his partner has mitigated that some. Claude Noel must see something the rest of us don't, because he still throws him out there. Well, not like he has much of a choice, now. If it weren't for Redmond going down, Clitty would likely still be in the press box, barring any real bad games by the rookies.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by joescores View Post
He ranges from Clitnone, to Clitsome, to Clitmore (TM Lynk). Overall, his game seems to be improving from earlier on in the year, especially now that he's paired with Buff while Enstrom is out.

That said, I think if the Jets d-corp was fully healthy that he'd be swapping in and out of #7 with Postma and Redmond.

No updates that I've seen on Enstrom. Anyone else hear anything?

Old
03-01-2013, 07:39 AM
SensibleGuy

Just watched the clip of Buff's coast to coast rush a few times and man thats a thing of beauty. He blows by about three NJ players and you can almost see the thought process going through each of their heads as he approaches...

"OK, here comes Buff. He's gonna pass oh wait waitWTFISHEDOING****!???!"

Then, as he gets to Hedberg he makes a really quick little fake shot that Hedberg TOTALLY buys by kicking his legs out to the side completely opening up the other side of the net for Ladd to pop it in. Awesome!

Closed Thread