HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Everybody Panic thread.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
The largest reliquary outside the Vatican is St. Anthony's in Pittsburgh. Perhaps we should be making pilgrimages.
I did not know that! I'm a heathen but I did go to a Catholic high school so I do have an affinity for the more outlandish facets of the religion.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
I did not know that! I'm a heathen but I did go to a Catholic high school so I do have an affinity for the more outlandish facets of the religion.
You are talking about exorcisms now, right?
Because that would be appropriate. Perhaps also calling down the Spanish Inquisition to lead tomorrows training..... how's that for "the 'ol recipe!"

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
You are talking about exorcisms now, right?
Because that would be appropriate. Perhaps also calling down the Spanish Inquisition to lead tomorrows training..... how's that for "the 'ol recipe!"
what we need is some Doubting Thomas' who are willing to poke holes in the mythology that has shrouded this team post-cup. Shero needs to start prodding Bylsma to see if he's divine or not. Caravaggio can show him how to do that:

Old
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
WhatsaMaatta

This thread is awesome. Easily the most entertaining thing to come out of the Pens-Canes game.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
what we need is some Doubting Thomas' who are willing to poke holes in the mythology that has shrouded this team post-cup. Shero needs to start prodding Bylsma to see if he's divine or not. Caravaggio can show him how to do that:

You win the newly instituted "Making a sacrosanct point utilizing Master Piece" award for February ! Even if he was somewhat of a mass murderer....

Old
02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
You win the newly instituted "Making a sacrosanct point utilizing Master Piece" award for February ! Even if he was somewhat of a mass murderer....
thanks
have you seen the Derek Jarman film from the 80's? it's really something. young Tilda Swinton and Sean Bean play Caravaggio's lovers/victims.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
thanks
have you seen the Derek Jarman film from the 80's? it's really something. a young Tilda Swinton and Sean Bean play Caravaggio's lovers/victims.
Yeah, but I just couldn't get Sean Bean to match with a guy spending a decade painting rosy cheeks on adolescent boys... I mean, that's a man's man....

I am being facetious.... it is a good movie.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Jaded-Fan

I ask Jobu to come, take fear from the stretch pass.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Having an everybody panic thread in an everybody panic forum is kind of redundant, no?

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Having an everybody panic thread in an everybody panic forum is kind of redundant, no?
Wild guess: you play a small violin, and you're STILL on the Titanic .

Either way, this thread is full of awesome. We have Caravaggio and everything.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Terrapin

I think Lemiuex and Burkle really need to start looking into the latest medical advances in cloning. Maybe we could clone Sid, Geno, and Gary Roberts, dress them in Kennedy, Glass, and Adams jerseys, and nobody would notice.

BTW, anyone see Rupp light up Biz Nasty last night? Cool we let him walk. No use having a big, tough, physical presence who can chip in the occassional goal on the 4th line.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:17 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
What are the odds we can work Crosby into a 4 way trade for 7 1st round draft picks this year?
Why? So Shero can draft the top 7 PMD in the draft?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:22 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post

BTW, anyone see Rupp light up Biz Nasty last night? Cool we let him walk. No use having a big, tough, physical presence who can chip in the occassional goal on the 4th line.
You know it's dark times when we're waxing nostalgic on Rupp..

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I ask Jobu to come, take fear from the stretch pass.

Short pass, I catch it very very well. Stretch pass, sticks are afraid!

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:29 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The only thing I'll panic over is we CONTINUE to see the same ****ing mistakes over and over again. I could understand if the team loses here and there. I get it. It happens. I could even take mental errors like turnovers as long as they do not repeat every single game.

But w/ the Penguins - the reason it's time to panic is we see the same garbage night in/night out. Their focus is just completely off. Mental mistakes, DUMB penalties, not picking up assignments in the d-zone, barely forechecking hard, relying on skill to win games instead of a team concept, poor breakouts, poor PP breakouts, over-passing.

I think people put too much on Bylsma without understanding why the pressure should be on him. It's the players fault they do these dumb things. It's 100% their lack of effort and lack of focus. But when an entire team is doing it, minus our God Joe Vitale, that is when the blame falls on DB. It's his job to make sure the message is being sent. Only sitting Joe Vitale and Despres isn't really sending the message.

Example: Pre-game he spoke about dumb penalties and was very blunt and said they simply could not happen. He addressed the team. He was spot on. Why is this message not getting across?

Example 2: The guys before a Pens/Flyers game will talk to reporters and say "We need to stay focused and not get caught up in their game." And when we go out there and make the same damn mistake!!! How is it that you know what to do and then completely go against what is being preached?

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:30 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
Short pass, I catch it very very well. Stretch pass, sticks are afraid!
Ogelthorpe - that is hockey 101. How many times did you hear people say "Make supported passed" or talk about how the right pass is 5-6 feet? I was coached that since I was in mini-mite hockey.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
thecore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The only thing I'll panic over is we CONTINUE to see the same ****ing mistakes over and over again. I could understand if the team loses here and there. I get it. It happens. I could even take mental errors like turnovers as long as they do not repeat every single game.

But w/ the Penguins - the reason it's time to panic is we see the same garbage night in/night out. Their focus is just completely off. Mental mistakes, DUMB penalties, not picking up assignments in the d-zone, barely forechecking hard, relying on skill to win games instead of a team concept, poor breakouts, poor PP breakouts, over-passing.

I think people put too much on Bylsma without understanding why the pressure should be on him. It's the players fault they do these dumb things. It's 100% their lack of effort and lack of focus. But when an entire team is doing it, minus our God Joe Vitale, that is when the blame falls on DB. It's his job to make sure the message is being sent. Only sitting Joe Vitale and Despres isn't really sending the message.

Example: Pre-game he spoke about dumb penalties and was very blunt and said they simply could not happen. He addressed the team. He was spot on. Why is this message not getting across?

Example 2: The guys before a Pens/Flyers game will talk to reporters and say "We need to stay focused and not get caught up in their game." And when we go out there and make the same damn mistake!!! How is it that you know what to do and then completely go against what is being preached?
I agree. I think Bylsma is a smart guy and sees the problems, he just doesn't know how to fix them. He hasn't been able to create a culture of accountability, and you don't need to be in the locker room to know that. Listening to him, Crosby and Orpik is all you need.

thecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:59 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecore View Post
I agree. I think Bylsma is a smart guy and sees the problems, he just doesn't know how to fix them. He hasn't been able to create a culture of accountability, and you don't need to be in the locker room to know that. Listening to him, Crosby and Orpik is all you need.
I really like that phrase. I feel that is very fitting for both Tomlin and Bylsma. It's so true and real.

I just don't get how a team can actually love their coach yet refuse to listen to him.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Fire Shero*

Byslma has to be fired. I don't understand how anyone doesn't think he shouldn't be fired. 3 disappointing playoffs since the cup. Decent regular season coach but match him up against anyone with a half of a brain and he's done.

I would like Shero canned too, Crosby and Malkin are wasting away in the prime of their career. Each plays with one decent winger but come on. The winger situation is better now than a couple of years ago but that doesn't say much.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:11 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Byslma has to be fired. I don't understand how anyone doesn't think he shouldn't be fired. 3 disappointing playoffs since the cup. Decent regular season coach but match him up against anyone with a half of a brain and he's done.

I would like Shero canned too, Crosby and Malkin are wasting away in the prime of their career. Each plays with one decent winger but come on. The winger situation is better now than a couple of years ago but that doesn't say much.
I wish you would at least give credit to Bylsma that he IS preaching the right things yet the players are not listening. It's the players actions that are making Bylsma's job on the hot seat.

And how anyone could say Shero needs canned is hilarious. There is no way in hell anyone could convince me of Shero needing to be fired. He puts amazing teams on the ice every year. That is just people being frustrated.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post

I agree about the coaching and player problems but to be realistic as I've said in the other thread they'll have to go on a major tailspin this year for him to get canned. If they get bounced easily in the first round its definitely a possibly but even then he may be given a mulligan for the lockout season. There's seems to be a major bromance from the head coach up to the ownership so I wouldn't expect anything drastic this season barring a non-playoff meltdown. Not saying I like it just being realistic based on the past.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

new post on PG: "Time to play Eaton"

So I guess the team and the propaganda arm are going to push this as a personnel issue, not a foundation/fundamental issue.

Well that's great.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM
SteelFish87*

i'd fire Bylsma for sure

firing our coach mid-season is how we won our last Cup

plus Bylsma's system sucks.

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:30 AM
SidTheKid8787

I agree with the poster above that DB is in new territory as a coach. The players have quit responding to him, it seems. And the sloppy play just leads to players becoming more frustrated and they are probably looking around for answers just as we are.

After sitting back though and looking at the roster and the style of play. Alot of this is on Shero as well.

The best we can hope for is this team shows it cares and they get some help in the top and bottom 6 and the back end holds up. Thats the best it's gonna get this year. If you do that and you still lose, it may be time to get some new systems and new philosophies in the mix.

Do i think this team is good enough to win a Cup? No
Do i think this team playing to it's potential can win a couple rounds? Yes.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:34 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

This

Seems like a lot of "fire Bylsma" because, well, not firing him isn't working right now, so firing him is the alternative.

If Eaton dresses for Letang Saturday night, the same people who want him fired because he's not holding players (Letang) accountable for crappy play will howl he should be fired because he's depending on too many grinders, and not utilizing the talent available.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote