HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Everybody Panic thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
  #76
GLM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
byslma needed canned after the cryers series. that was inexcuseable.

he wont send a message to anyone but jeffery and despres. its beyond redundant.

5 and 41 have been missing on the blueline. 5 is supposed to be a toughguy and a hitter, but i swear his hit last night was his first of the yr.

47 being scratched over 41 is laughable. when eaton plays saturday i may lose it. he is the definition of soff.

penalties happen. penalties can be fixed if addressed correctly. disco saying they need to stop then not DOING A THING to enforce what he says is useless. he is like a substitute teacher. all bark no bite.

these just arent stupid penalites, they are lazy penalties. im not saying bring back MT like coach, but call players out, bench them, scratch them do something.

instead the same culprits are moved right back on the lines and units they have been on. NOTHING changes with this cat in regards disciplining the players.

the coaching staff reminds me of the statler and waldorf from the Muppets. talking just to hear themselves talk

hate his man crushes on players like 10 27 5 41. if you arent playing up to par, find the pine. meanwhile deserving players like 15 19 and 47 need more or any icetime they dont get it.

they are 13-8 and will be ok, but this team is not coached to play deep into the playoffs. the matchups he loses on home ice are maddening. his lack of adjustments in game are ridiculous. his only adjustment when things get hairy, he throws out 87/71 together. nice work pal. teams dont know thats coming...AGAIN do they? those long stupid breakout passes too are getting old. i think FLA had EVERYONE at the red line tuesday and we were still trying long breakout passes. how bout some cycling on the boards. the two cup yrs they were cycling MACHINES, that is gone and it shows. we cant control the play very long.

shero needs to find some 3rd/4th liners that can contribute, a winger and a defenseman that can play physical. is that so hard to find?

players need to play better too. i think 9 87 19 15 are the only players that are busting their tails every game. the rest need to step up.

(ok think my rant is over)

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
  #77
Jacques G
Glassic
 
Jacques G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
players need to play better too. i think 9 87 19 15 are the only players that are busting their tails every game. the rest need to step up.

(ok think my rant is over)
I agree with most of what you said, but I think you left out 16. The guy has been a workhorse since he joined the roster.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
  #78
titaniumexpose
Registered User
 
titaniumexpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fjord Chity, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
I won't say I know a lot about details and strategies of Bylsma's system, but to me it seems he's consistently outcoached. Maybe I don't know enough to recognize it but when's the last time he made a successful in-game adjustment that turned a game for the Pens? What about in a playoff series?

Everybody knows what lost them the series vs. the Flyers, it's been addressed to death, but still the team is losing the same way. It just doesn't seem the message got through or they just don't care.

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
  #79
GLM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but I think you left out 16. The guy has been a workhorse since he joined the roster.
Ya 16 as well

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:11 AM
  #80
skillhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Bylsma gotta teach Crosby and Malkin play defense. They hover around mid ice waiting for puck and are too often getting punished for that. In playoffs it will cost you if opponent has good 2-way center. Like Zetterberg owned crosby 2 series in a row.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:48 AM
  #81
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
Bylsma gotta teach Crosby and Malkin play defense. They hover around mid ice waiting for puck and are too often getting punished for that. In playoffs it will cost you if opponent has good 2-way center. Like Zetterberg owned crosby 2 series in a row.
crosby is very good at defense. Malkin was better at it before Bylsma ever got here. And they simply don't do what you are suggesting they do.

And don't forget about Lidstrom backing up Zetterberg. I hear he was pretty good.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
  #82
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
i'd fire Bylsma for sure

firing our coach mid-season is how we won our last Cup

plus Bylsma's system sucks.
It seems most of the players don't want to get to DB's game plan anymore. Sacrifice be relentless. All the teams seem to use our game plan against us.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:24 PM
  #83
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,823
vCash: 500
See I do not necessary agree that Bylsma's system sucks. Not overall and nothing that a few tweaks could not fix. The trouble is that Bylsma has become the Ovechkin of coaches. A one trick pony who had great success early with that trick but is incapable of adjusting when people take that trick away.

I play tennis and let's say I develope this great shot. It is a winner each time. But if I hit the ball to the same spot all day and the opposing player will just stand there and take it away from me. Bylsma is the tennis player who keeps hitting it to that same spot even when the opposing player camps out there leaving three quarters of the court open.

Why he can not adjust I have no clue. He has literally had several years to do it. The worst part is that the flaws in his system are especially exposed when it counts most, in the playoffs, when the coverages tighten and become more defensive and the reffing is tighter.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
  #84
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
See I do not necessary agree that Bylsma's system sucks. Not overall and nothing that a few tweaks could not fix. The trouble is that Bylsma has become the Ovechkin of coaches. A one trick pony who had great success early with that trick but is incapable of adjusting when people take that trick away.

I play tennis and let's say I develope this great shot. It is a winner each time. But if I hit the ball to the same spot all day and the opposing player will just stand there and take it away from me. Bylsma is the tennis player who keeps hitting it to that same spot even when the opposing player camps out there leaving three quarters of the court open.

Why he can not adjust I have no clue. He has literally had several years to do it. The worst part is that the flaws in his system are especially exposed when it counts most, in the playoffs, when the coverages tighten and become more defensive and the reffing is tighter.
The thing that really bothers me is never holding any player accountable, unless they are rookies.

I think if he could get his players to be accountable for their ****** decisions with the puck, then the team could execute his system better. Right now there are no repercussions for a horrible turnover, or dogging it, etc. You can preach that you need to play better till you're blue in the face, but it's just human nature to ignore it until there are consequences for your actions.

Zero rewards for playing well, and zero consequences for playing bad.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
  #85
BCard86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
The problem with the annual Pittsburgh Panic is the damn reporters. Madden (even though he's a radio host), Yohe and Rossi are the worst when it comes to stirring crap up. But you have to follow them because they are the only ones with any kind of inside information.

BCard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  #86
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
See I do not necessary agree that Bylsma's system sucks. Not overall and nothing that a few tweaks could not fix. The trouble is that Bylsma has become the Ovechkin of coaches. A one trick pony who had great success early with that trick but is incapable of adjusting when people take that trick away.

I play tennis and let's say I develope this great shot. It is a winner each time. But if I hit the ball to the same spot all day and the opposing player will just stand there and take it away from me. Bylsma is the tennis player who keeps hitting it to that same spot even when the opposing player camps out there leaving three quarters of the court open.

Why he can not adjust I have no clue. He has literally had several years to do it. The worst part is that the flaws in his system are especially exposed when it counts most, in the playoffs, when the coverages tighten and become more defensive and the reffing is tighter.
not to mention teams take more time gameplanning against specific strategies. I completely agree that his system could work if he just added in variations and tweaks.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  #87
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The thing that really bothers me is never holding any player accountable, unless they are rookies.

I think if he could get his players to be accountable for their ****** decisions with the puck, then the team could execute his system better. Right now there are no repercussions for a horrible turnover, or dogging it, etc. You can preach that you need to play better till you're blue in the face, but it's just human nature to ignore it until there are consequences for your actions.
This is the thing for me. I don't think systems matter, more-or-less. The players aren't executing the system when they stand around, stop moving their feet, and just play with a general lack of desire.

I don't think Bylsma is a bad coach, Xs and Os wise - I'm not smart enough to make that determination - I don't like his personnel decisions and it doesn't seem like his message is getting through to guys.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:35 PM
  #88
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
This is the thing for me. I don't think systems matter, more-or-less. The players aren't executing the system when they stand around, stop moving their feet, and just play with a general lack of desire.

I don't think Bylsma is a bad coach, Xs and Os wise - I'm not smart enough to make that determination - I don't like his personnel decisions and it doesn't seem like his message is getting through to guys.
I think if he could just learn to not be such a pushover when it came to holding players accountable, he'd be a ton better as a coach. That IMO is what's really holding him back from getting to the next level. It's a fine line tow to be sure.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
  #89
BCard86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
This is the thing for me. I don't think systems matter, more-or-less. The players aren't executing the system when they stand around, stop moving their feet, and just play with a general lack of desire.

I don't think Bylsma is a bad coach, Xs and Os wise - I'm not smart enough to make that determination - I don't like his personnel decisions and it doesn't seem like his message is getting through to guys.
The players are saying the right things after the game, but they said the same thing last year in the playoffs. Veteran leadership is what this team needs. Problem is, there isn't much out there anymore. Everyone is relatively young.

BCard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
  #90
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCard86 View Post
The players are saying the right things after the game, but they said the same thing last year in the playoffs. Veteran leadership is what this team needs. Problem is, there isn't much out there anymore. Everyone is relatively young.
No this team needs a coach to actually hold his players accountable when they are doing those things they all are saying they are doing wrong after the games.

Saying it is one thing, actually holding somebody to that standard is another.

"You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
  #91
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCard86 View Post
The players are saying the right things after the game, but they said the same thing last year in the playoffs. Veteran leadership is what this team needs. Problem is, there isn't much out there anymore. Everyone is relatively young.
Bruce Orpic: Veteran leader.

Paul Martin: Veteran leader.

Craig Adams: Veteran leader.

Sidney Crosby: Veteran leader.

Evgeni Malkin and Chris Kunitz are veterans who wear As.

Pascal Dupuis: Veteran. Leader?

There are veterans and leaders on this team. I don't buy that they need some old **** to come in and get in their faces.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:48 PM
  #92
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Bruce Orpic: Veteran leader.

Paul Martin: Veteran leader.

Craig Adams: Veteran leader.

Sidney Crosby: Veteran leader.

Evgeni Malkin and Chris Kunitz are veterans who wear As.

Pascal Dupuis: Veteran. Leader?

There are veterans and leaders on this team. I don't buy that they need some old **** to come in and get in their faces.
Seriously. These guys aren't green rookies or 2nd or 3rd year players anymore. They have been around the block, and have even won a Cup. At what point do they stop needing a "veteran presence?"

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:51 PM
  #93
Jacques G
Glassic
 
Jacques G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
No this team needs a coach to actually hold his players accountable when they are doing those things they all are saying they are doing wrong after the games.

Saying it is one thing, actually holding somebody to that standard is another.

"You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"
I don't think this can be overstated. You can speculate that Bylsma isn't coaching well because of his body language during a game, but everyone watching the lines can clearly see that guys are absolutely not being held accountable for their actions. That is undeniable.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:13 PM
  #94
BCard86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
No this team needs a coach to actually hold his players accountable when they are doing those things they all are saying they are doing wrong after the games.

Saying it is one thing, actually holding somebody to that standard is another.

"You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"
You could be right. This feels awfully familiar from 09, except they aren't even close to the bottom of the east.

BCard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:14 PM
  #95
SidNeedsNoWingers
He can do it all!
 
SidNeedsNoWingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
I don't know if you guys talked about this already and don't even remember the specific game, but 2 or 3 games ago, Cooke missed the puck in front of a wide open net...right afterward, TV showed Cooke on the bench just as Bylsma came up behind him and said something...Cooke responded without turning to look at Bylsma with what I can only describe as a "teenager attitude" really sarcastic look on his face. My friend and I agreed Cooke didn't appear to like Bylsma at all and was definitely giving him sass. Did anyone else catch that?

I guess my point is, where is the idea that the players love Bylsma coming from?

SidNeedsNoWingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
  #96
BCard86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Bruce Orpic: Veteran leader.

Paul Martin: Veteran leader.

Craig Adams: Veteran leader.

Sidney Crosby: Veteran leader.

Evgeni Malkin and Chris Kunitz are veterans who wear As.

Pascal Dupuis: Veteran. Leader?

There are veterans and leaders on this team. I don't buy that they need some old **** to come in and get in their faces.
Not one of them have that characteristic that Bill Guerin brought to the team in 09. It's not something you can teach.

BCard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:20 PM
  #97
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer
 
BrunoPuntzJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
PANIC TRADE OF DUBIOUS MERIT

To Minnesota:
Brooks Orpik

To Pittsburgh:
Matt Cullen (He can do it all!)
Matt Kassian (On Crosby's wing he could have 40 goals and bring a physical game!)

MATT ATTACK 2013

BrunoPuntzJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:20 PM
  #98
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
See I do not necessary agree that Bylsma's system sucks. Not overall and nothing that a few tweaks could not fix. The trouble is that Bylsma has become the Ovechkin of coaches. A one trick pony who had great success early with that trick but is incapable of adjusting when people take that trick away.
This is a fascinating comparison. Well done.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
  #99
BCard86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidNeedsNoWingers View Post
I don't know if you guys talked about this already and don't even remember the specific game, but 2 or 3 games ago, Cooke missed the puck in front of a wide open net...right afterward, TV showed Cooke on the bench just as Bylsma came up behind him and said something...Cooke responded without turning to look at Bylsma with what I can only describe as a "teenager attitude" really sarcastic look on his face. My friend and I agreed Cooke didn't appear to like Bylsma at all and was definitely giving him sass. Did anyone else catch that?

I guess my point is, where is the idea that the players love Bylsma coming from?
This article sums it up. Even thought I can't stand Rossi at times.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...coach-penguins

BCard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  #100
SidNeedsNoWingers
He can do it all!
 
SidNeedsNoWingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Thanks. I find that an ironic article considering the way things have been going.

SidNeedsNoWingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.