HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills - Off-Season 2013 (Draft day draft day gotta get down on draft day)

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Pair Imposter
False Defenseman

vCash: 50
The Bills will be bad. The Ravens will be much better. Neither will be good.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:56 PM
dma0034

vCash: 500
Jets: They are 7-1 in the last 8 against us

And the Bills are 1-0 in the last meeting. Who cares about 4 years ago. Their defense is a shell of what it was 3 years ago.

1-levetri leaving hurts us just as badly. 2-tannehill is a better qb than anyone we will have this year. 3-wallace=stevie. 4-rb's like bush arent that hard to find
the patriots beat us twice a year annually.

1. No it won't. Levitre was a product of Gailey's system. When the Bills select a OT in the first round it will look like the Bills didn't lose a step. 2. Tannehill isn't a good QB at all. Holds on too long and can't throw accurately down the field 3. Wallace and Stevie are completely different types of receivers. Wallace is a complete burner while Stevie is a possession receiver. 4. Players like Bush are extremely hard to find and Detroit's offense will be in the top 5 because of him. He is a game changer and someone who catches screens out of the back field and turns them into big gains. Just look at last year versus the Bills for him. Bills hold him to 60 yards and win easily.... Bush gets 3 tds and helps blow out the Bills.

Patriots: Tom Brady. Is he throwing to himself? Amendola is a downgrade from Welker (who gets hurt often and won't be able to do the option routes Welker does). Gronk's status is uncertain. Hernadez is also injuried quite often. Donald Jones scare you? This team won't be as offensively dominate as they have been the last 5 years. Tom Brady is an elite QB no doubt but losing Welker will hurt his checking down option (See the first 3 games last year when Welker wasn't getting thrown to)

adrian peterson says hi... Acl = 6 month recovery, gone through it myself. Yes and every single player/analyst was amazed by this. Most (like 90%) of players lose speed in their first year back from ACL tears.

Dummervil will be great there. Yeah he will, Him and Suggs will be a great tandem for them.

riiiiiiiiggggghhht.... While playing madden maybe

Yes the good ole I don't know what I'm talking about "Madden" comment. A Cover 4 makes the Safeties free and makes slot receivers and TEs open down the middle of the field. This is suppose to prevent deep throws and allow the Safeties to help in run support. With the right personal (meaning SF-type Linebackers) it would be very hard to throw and run on them. This type of defense doesn't allow for blitzes though ( because it wouldn't be a prevent defense)...

A Cover 1 -Pressure means the Cornerbacks play close to the WR and depending on the TEs free the Linebackers to blitz or to drop back into coverage. If Gilmore is able to continue his effectiveness against #1 WRs than the Bills could send an extra blitzer almost every play and contain the run.... their biggest problem with be with the read option.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
OkimLom

Week 1: vs. Patriots 1PM CBS L
Week 2: vs. Panthers 1PM FOX W
Week 3: @ Jets 4:25PM CBS L
Week 4: vs. Ravens 1PM CBS L
Week 5: @ Browns 8:25PM NFLN L
Week 6: vs. Bengals 1PM CBS L
Week 7: @ Dolphins 1PM CBS L
Week 8: @ Saints 1PM CBS L
Week 9: vs. Chiefs 1PM CBS W
Week 10: @ Steelers 1PM CBS L
Week 11: vs. Jets 1PM CBS W
Week 12: BYE
Week 13: vs. Falcons (in Toronto) 4:05PM FOX L
Week 14: @ Buccaneers 1PM CBS L
Week 15: @ Jaguars 1PM CBS W
Week 16: vs. Dolphins 1PM CBS L
Week 17: @ Patriots 1PM CBS L

4-12 We'll pick 6th in the draft

Is there an unwritten rule somewhere where it states New England must get at least two weeks to prepare for Buffalo at least once a season?

I'm waiting to see the time New England would be our opener, and New England's Bye is just before we meet them again.

We will have gone to the backup QB by week 10.

There will be at least 9 guys on IR when the season ends. Taking a guess: K. Williams, Wood, Jackson, three other linemen, Byrd, Gilmore, A. Williams

Old
04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Takeo

I hate the idea of QB at #8, but I think there's 50-50 odds they will reach for whomever is identified as their top prospect irrespective of value.

At the luncheon, Nix said there's 2-3 franchise prospects. My guess is Barkley, Bray and Nassib/Manuel/Glennon. I'm not sold on the Nassib thing. It's a lot of presumption. I get that Marrone has intimate knowledge, but I still find it odd that they didn't bring him in for a pre-draft visit. The coach's input is fine, but if this were truly an "exhaustive" search, the GM, scouts, and directors of personnel should stick to their formal evaluation process. Maybe Marrone said 'don't bother'?

Old
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I like how the current Super Bowl champions aren't a blatantly better team.

I get the excitement over a new head coach and staff, but some of you really need to put the pipe down. 9-7?
The last 4 SB Champs: All played Wildcard Weekend.

This shows that you just need to get in and get some luck. Not that you gotta be that good.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I see 4 games vs blatantly superior opponents: Saints, Falcons, and Pats x2. Everything else is fairly winnable. I'd say that one either believes that the 2012 Bills were intrinsically horrible everywhere, or just hosed by poor coaching and QB play. The per-play +/- grades from last year suggest to me that it's the latter, so If Marrone turns out to be a good NFL coach and Kolb/draftee deliver adequate QB play, I could see 8-8 or so. That's a lot of ifs just for .500 though.
Pats x1. I'd put money on it, week 17 the will be playing backups mot if not all day

Old
04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Because both teams keep finishing at the bottom of the division.

Could this team win 8 or 9 games? Maybe. But after 15 years of "is this the year"...I'll believe it when I see it. Until such a time as they prove on the field that they are a good team, I'm not going to expect it. Not getting my hopes up...we've been down that road too many times before. I need to see it before I'm going to believe it.
True to that. only 2 years have I bought in, 2000 and last year. After the first month of 08 and 2011 I did as well, then they CRUMBLED

Old
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
True to that. only 2 years have I bought in, 2000 and last year. After the first month of 08 and 2011 I did as well, then they CRUMBLED
Well no one can blame you for any of those; everyone thought the Bills could make a wildcard with the talent they had (at least not a losing record). But poor coaching and inability to stop the bleeding on defense led to huge blowouts (that coupled with Fitzpatrick's inability to win a shoot out and avoid the costly mistake). They went 6-10 and could of easily won against New England, Tennessee, and St. Louis last year. Three very poor plays (Fitz's 2 ints and George Wilson's drop) make this a 9-7 team.... that is with a poor defensive scheme. As SoFFacet said I see this Bills team as one that is improved by Kolb > Fitzpatrick and Pettine > Wannstedt. They played good against Houston and Indy too. Guess it is just a matter of opinion

Old
04-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Takeo

I've been trying to read up on some of the lower profile pre-draft visitors. I really like Ryan Griffin. Could be a solid middle round pick.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/16...-ryan-griffin/

Old
04-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

So how many have you done a 180 now that all the draft experts are praising Nassib and a team like the Jets now having 3 picks before the Bills draft at 41 and now want to take him at 8?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Still don't want him at 8.

There just isn't enough separating the QBs this year...if Nassib's not there, then Barkley, or Manuel, or Jones, or Glennon, or Bray, or Wilson, or Dysert, etc. will be there at 41. The class is throughly mediocre, that there really isn't that big a fall off from the "top" guys and the middle tiers.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So how many have you done a 180 now that all the draft experts are praising Nassib and a team like the Jets now having 3 picks before the Bills draft at 41 and now want to take him at 8?
I think 95% of the people don't want him picked at 8. Either wait, trade down from 8 or trade up from 41.

Remember though; after Geno Smith most are mixed who the next best QB is.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I think 95% of the people don't want him picked at 8. Either wait, trade down from 8 or trade up from 41.

Remember though; after Geno Smith most are mixed who the next best QB is.
I think it's relatively consistent that Smith is the "best", Barkley the next.

After that, it seems that there's a division between Manuel and Nassib for 3rd and 4th.

Beyond that is where the crapshoot begins and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And, IMO, the only viable option at 8 is Smith --- and I'm not sure he's a fit for Buffalo.

My personal desire is to take Warmack if he's around.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I've been trying to read up on some of the lower profile pre-draft visitors. I really like Ryan Griffin. Could be a solid middle round pick.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/16...-ryan-griffin/
What an awesome writeup. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I think it's relatively consistent that Smith is the "best", Barkley the next.

After that, it seems that there's a division between Manuel and Nassib for 3rd and 4th.

Beyond that is where the crapshoot begins and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And, IMO, the only viable option at 8 is Smith --- and I'm not sure he's a fit for Buffalo.

My personal desire is to take Warmack if he's around.
Barkley is far from the consensus number two qb

Old
04-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I've liked him since before Marone was coach. But I transferred to SU this year so there may be some bias. I just want a QB. If he sucks, I'm gonna complain that Ralph isn't doing interviews with TBN.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:37 AM
dotcommunism

I'm not sure there's a single quarterback I'd be remotely okay with at the 8 pick

Old
04-22-2013, 11:13 AM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

You take Geno if he is there at 8. The guy can play football, doesnt have baggage and put up amazing numbers in his college career. He carried West Virgina back to relevancy. If he isnt there you trade back and stockpile seconds like darcy at the trade deadline. You could probably trade back with San Diego if Johnson is there and then trade back with NY if Fluker is still there. That alone should net 2 seconds and a couple late round picks. Then you fill your biggest need at 19 and then head into the second round armed with picks to take 3 players or trade up for one who fell outta the first that you loved.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
I'm not sure there's a single quarterback I'd be remotely okay with at the 8 pick
I want nothing to do with QB at #8. If one is forced on me, I take Barkley.

If their targeted QB is available at #8, they will select him and will not trade down. This idea that they will look to add extra picks and hope that their player still falls to them is absurd. Teams don't operate that way. They have a ranked board; it's not like they're just hoping to land any of these QBs. If they look to trade down, it's because their top-rated player is gone and the secondary options are closely graded.

That being said, let's hope that they're not targeting QB at #8. I am completely on board the "oh my god please let Milliner slide to us" train.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Takeo

Who are your top 8 "realistic" targets at #8?

1 - Dee Milliner
2 - Lane Johnson
3 - Barkevious Mingo
4 - Tavon Austin
5 - Chance Warmack
6 - Tyler Eifert
7 - Kenny Vaccaro
8 - Star Lotulelei

Old
04-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:

1 - Dee Milliner
2 - Lane Johnson
3 - Barkevious Mingo
4 - Tavon Austin
5 - Chance Warmack
6 - Tyler Eifert
7 - Kenny Vaccaro
8 - Star Lotulelei
I don't think Milliner is realistic, i think he'll be gone long before pick 4. Same with Lane Johnson -- I think.

But if for some reason he is there, then I hope buddy and company do a mad dash to the podium to snag him.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I don't think Milliner is realistic, i think he'll be gone long before pick 4. Same with Lane Johnson -- I think.

But if for some reason he is there, then I hope buddy and company do a mad dash to the podium to snag him.
I think you mean pick 8??

There's a small chance. Detroit and Cleveland are the biggest threats IMO.

1. KC - Joeckel/Fisher
2. JAX - Jordan/Mingo
3. OAK - Floyd/Lotulelei
4. PHI - Joeckel/Fisher/Jordan/Lotulelei
5. DET - Johnson
6. CLE - QB/Mingo/Ansah/Austin
7. ARI - Warmack/Cooper
8. BUF - Milliner?

EDIT: Also, there are varying reports on the progress of his shoulder rehab and with Hayden being cleared, it's near a 1a/1b situation at the top corner spot.

Last edited by Takeo: 04-22-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 06:03 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:

1 - Dee Milliner
2 - Lane Johnson
3 - Barkevious Mingo
4 - Tavon Austin
5 - Chance Warmack
6 - Tyler Eifert
7 - Kenny Vaccaro
8 - Star Lotulelei
"Realistically" I like Milliner and Ansah. But I don't think the whole "realistic" exercise is really necessary with pick 8. Just list your top 8 dudes from the top and you are guaranteed to get at least the last one.

1. Smith QB West Virginia
2. Joeckel OT Texas A&M
3. Fisher OT Central Michigan
4. Jordan OLB Oregon
5. Milliner CB Alabama
6. Ansah OLB BYU
7. Johnson OT Oklahoma
8. Jones OLB Georgia

I personally buy Smith, I know not everyone does.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
dma0034

Todd McShay thinks the Bills pick Nassib over Smith at 8. *Dee Milliner is available at 8 too btw.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:17 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Todd McShay thinks the Bills pick Nassib over Smith at 8. *Dee Milliner is available at 8 too btw.
If he's their guy, then fine.

If it's because of the history, *vomit*

Old
04-22-2013, 06:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
If he's their guy, then fine.

If it's because of the history, *vomit*
Agreed.

If he turns out to be a franchise QB, 10 years from now nobody is going to care that we "reached" for him.

But I think the Bills need more of a "sure thing" impact player. They have to hit on their 1st round picks. None of the QBs in this class strike me as such.

Closed Thread