HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 5-1 ... Exorcising the "D-Mens"(demons) while exercising our D-men

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Shizuka

vCash: 500
I was glad to see some responsive resilience to the physical play -- Gags, you are a a bloody hero for a different reason tonight. Hemsky yapping it up with Dillon. This, this is the attitude you need to reciprocate. I didn't mind Eager's penalty for smacking Morrow around, either.

Hope Jones is ok after that cheap shot from Benn -- what a punk move, especially after Jones tapped Lehtonen on the helmet in apology. I dunno what it was but early on, Eberle in particular seemed to get on the Stars players' nerves. If we could add another Eager type, we'd see alot more of this abrasive attitude. Really too bad we missed out on Volpatti.

Entertaining game tonight, but boy oh boy it's going to be a bit ugly against St. Louis tomorrow I suspect -- we came away with more than a few bruises in this one (Smid, Potter, Jones).

Old
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 135
That was as solid a road game I have seen in a long time from this team.

Many solid contributions. Eager, Fistric and Jones have ramped up the grit...something this team has sorely missed.

Eberle looked much more confident in this game.
Solid game by Dubnyk as well.

This game was a pleasure to watch despite the fact that Dallas started taking runs at various Oilers mid way through the 3rd.

Old
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Yakupov needs mode icetime, its the only way he gets more comfortable out there...even with only 12 minutes (about 2 seconds in the 2nd) he nearly scored three times including one crossbar...in a game like tonight he shoyldve been iced more, especially on 5 on 3s..

whatever oilers win...but stars never showed up tonight...

My player of the game...Ben Eager for making B.Morrow lookin like a little female dog.

Old
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Oilers may have won on the scoreboard, but the Stars took it to us physically. Tough team. Knocked out two of our guys and I'm sure Hall or Schultz's number was up next. Dammed good thing the game ended when it did.
We could use more toughness on D and in our bottom 6, that said none of our guys backed down and Jones was taken out on a chicken**** play. Adding a guy like Sestito up front and Peckham on D would really toughen the team up IMO.

02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
DareDoiler

vCash: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I think he's fine where he is. He's a PP threat, and will only blossom as he spends more time around the guys.

1) I don't think we can "send him down"

2) Going back to Russia = return of bad habits

I'd rather have him ride the PB or play some lowly 11-12 minutes a night learning how to play properly than have him risk picking up bad habits.
I think I might get hammered here for being an idiot, but I think he should be getting significantly more minutes. Not a free pass to constantly screw up, but let the kid play.

Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Didn't I tell you that he had a good one and that he was using it in OKC at one point on the PP? I hate to say I told you so......
It's something I've never see him use in junior or the NHL. It's not exactly "Stamkos-esque", but it's hard, heavy, and is bound to create a load of rebound opportunities.

He's so much better playing the point there than dilly-dalling on the lower right boards. That's honestly the best spot for RNH to be, in the "Thornton"/"Crosby" spot along the lower right side boards. It opens RNH up for so many options:

-Eberle cross-ice
-Smyth/Gags in front
-Hall one-timer

If anyone is making those passes on our PP I want it to be RNH, not Hall.

Old
deep44

Quote:
Petry may be the biggest wimp I have ever seen.
did i miss something?

Old
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Good game.

It will be interesting to see how long Benn is suspended for.

Dubnyk played decently. Not sure about first star though.
Probably a big fat NOTHING if the Doan on Horcoff earlier this year resulted in DICK

Old
02-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Schultz logged 25 mins of ice time

Wow
Yeah and tied with Tarasenko and Galchengod for rookie scoring

Old
02-28-2013, 11:31 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Good result... but honestly, my blood pressure must have been at 200+ for most of this game.

So much filth and diving by the Stars. Absolutely sickening team to watch them pull all that cheap ****.

I'd honestly be disgusted to be a fan of that team right now.

Happy that the Oilers stuck it to them and buried them. Too bad Dubnyk didn't get the SO.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Stoneman89

Wasn't sure if Yakupov was even playing tonight and then, bam, about 8 giveaways later in the 3rd period and.....yup, there's the little fella.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:33 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDoiler View Post
I think I might get hammered here for being an idiot, but I think he should be getting significantly more minutes. Not a free pass to constantly screw up, but let the kid play.
I don't see the problem with letting him develop like they are. He's learning the two way game the best way, watching from ice level. He's even started picking up some interesting two way moments lately. And it seemed like Kreuger was more confident in him in the third. He'll progressively get more time on ice I'm sure.

Old
JaredCowenFan
AKA CurtisLazarFan

Toughness. Yes, we could use s'more. I wanted the Oil to pick up Volpatti, a shame we didn't.

Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
on another happy note calgary blew a 3-0 lead now losing 5-4. feels good
I haven't seen the Flames choke like this in awhile.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I can't believe the hate on Petry right now. How is he a wimp? He took the body well in this game, hitting big guys like Jagr.

Look at his stat line. 4 hits, 5 BS, 4 shots, +2, 1 TK in 24:45

This is on top of his goal and assist.

And he never looked tired today. He looked like a true top-pairing defenseman today.

Old
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Good result... but honestly, my blood pressure must have been at 200+ for most of this game.

So much filth and diving by the Stars. Absolutely sickening team to watch them pull all that cheap ****.

I'd honestly be disgusted to be a fan of that team right now.

Happy that the Oilers stuck it to them and buried them. Too bad Dubnyk didn't get the SO.
I wasn't watching much diving but there were a number of questionable hits and intimidation tactics being tossed around. I'd suspect that St. Louis will play a similar game. We need to get Eager some back-up IMO.

Old
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Yakupov needs mode icetime, its the only way he gets more comfortable out there...even with only 12 minutes (about 2 seconds in the 2nd) he nearly scored three times including one crossbar...in a game like tonight he shoyldve been iced more, especially on 5 on 3s..

whatever oilers win...but stars never showed up tonight...

My player of the game...Ben Eager for making B.Morrow lookin like a little female dog.
He only played 2 mins less than Hemsky.

Old
Harley

Dallas is a pretty dirty hockey team. Amazed that Morrow wasn't involved in any of it. Except for that time when Eager was slapping him around on the end boards. lol

Losing faith in Smid. He's been off his skates for everything lately and it is just stupid. Tonight he almost gives himself another concussion for a retarded play. Love his attitude and physicality but I just don't see any progression in the other parts of his game. He just doesn't think the game at a high enough level to make plays under pressure. And somebody just has to get him to stop the lay on the ice windshield wiper stuff.

Man is Fistric looking like a great deal for a third rounder. Meat and potatoes. Heavy on the man and everybody he hits feels it. Our shorter version of Sutton. Needs to work on his up ice dangles.

Great win. I hate Dallas.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:35 PM
czar99

Also, Belanger to the press box and PRV to fourth line center.

Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Wasn't sure if Yakupov was even playing tonight and then, bam, about 8 giveaways later in the 3rd period and.....yup, there's the little fella.
Funny part is he he has the same # of give-aways this season (11) as Hall. I don't understand why he and Eberle (12) don't get more flak for this.

Old
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
To his credit he busted his ass trying to make amends instead of putting his head down and sulking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I can't believe the hate on Petry right now. How is he a wimp? He took the body well in this game, hitting big guys like Jagr.

Look at his stat line. 4 hits, 5 BS, 4 shots, +2, 1 TK in 24:45

This is on top of his goal and assist.

And he never looked tired today. He looked like a true top-pairing defenseman today.
I thought that this was Petry's best game in a long, long time. He was involved offensively and besides the penalty on the PP he was solid IMO.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
i count benn as too many men on the ice he will be suspended just for leaving the bench with the intent to injure... that let alone the cross check from behind should put it over 3 games

Old
02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Also, Belanger to the press box and PRV to fourth line center.
Haha ... good one.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
Toughness. Yes, we could use s'more. I wanted the Oil to pick up Volpatti, a shame we didn't.
We put in a claim but caps had first dibs since they're lower in the standings.

Anyways I hope Jones is ok. Benn should be suspended just a dirty malicious play. No two ways about it.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 PM
deep44

sorry a tad off topic question.. but my buddy is telling me oilers did put a claim in for Vopatti , but we only lost out because Wash is lower in the standing.. Out side of watching the game i really haven't listen to the radio or anything today.. but has this been confirmed anywhere?

Closed Thread