Notices

Top 10 pick or playoffs

Old
03-01-2013, 02:34 AM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 155
Playoffs.

Playoffs bring experience to the players who have not been there, makes the Jets more attractive to UFA's that now begin to see us as a possible team that can make a good run in the playoffs and it gets the old double barrel out on the losing culture that had followed the team.

Losing sucks and being down at the bottom is worse.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:19 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would you guys want? The Jets to make the playoffs this year or a top 10 pick this year? And why would you want that? Knowing full well that the draft this year is very deep and we could get a player, that may be a very good player and a game changer.
What's the point of playing, if you're not playing to win? The Jets already have a great core, Bogosian, Burmistrov, Byfuglien, Enstrom. Kane, Ladd, Little, Wheeler. Scheifele should be up next year, and Trouba is coming in a couple of years. We don't want/need to tank. And being a competitive team will attract free agents to fill in a few holes as well.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:52 AM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
Playoffs without a doubt. We have enough top ten picks on this team as it is.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Reaching the playoffs, which is one step towards the ultimate goal, or failing completely and picking a guy with high potential?

Gonna go with the NOT-failing option here.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:40 AM
almostawake

Playoffs, even if it would cost me thousands of dollars.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:46 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Playoffs...Isn't that the whole idea? How are we going to win a cup if we don't start getting in and competing for it? This team is littered with top 10 picks (Ladd, Wheeler, Bogo, Kane, Burmi) and others in the wings like Scheifele and Trouba. At some point these players need to contend or they move on or pass through their primes.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:48 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Anyone who doesnt think playoffs, may need psych help.
Stanley cup > jones/mackinnon/etc

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:10 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Making the playoffs will mean there's a true change in culture. I'd much rather the team push, win, drive to the playoffs and change their culture than to have a new shiny bauble from a high draft pick.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Brainstrained

There can only be one acceptable answer - playoffs.

A winning-through-losing to get a high draft is still a losing attitude.

I want the Jets to go as far as they can go, and if possible further.

Brainstrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Obviously going to echo what's already been said... PLAYOFFS.

It's time to change the culture, embrace the new Winnipeg Jets era and traditions. Winning is the only choice when you put on the Jets jersey.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
playoffs...this cant be a serious question right?

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 152
Easily playoffs. I don't want to fail in order to win.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahplk View Post
I'm fine with playoffs as long as we don't turn into some crazy buyer at the deadline and mortgage the future. With 3 2nd rounders and 2 3rd's this draft, we should be able to add a bit of depth (if need be) for a playoff run.

That being said, I don't want to see all of our UFA assets walk for nothing (Hainsey, Antro, Wellwood, Mittens) just because we might have a chance at the 8th spot.
My thoughts as well. Making the playoffs would be greater than a top 10 pick. For so many reasons that have already been mentioned.

But I also don't want Chevy to do what Nashville did the last few years and send 1st and 2nd round picks away on pretty crappy trades, and also let a key potential UFA walk to go "all-in" on a run. I don't think the team is anywhere near the level to start doing things like that.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:53 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

Playoffs for sure.

To echo what Huffer said though be realistic about it. Yeah, maybe a trade can be made but should it be made? Most teams that are going to get in like the Jets this year can learn from even a single round in the playoffs and what it takes to go farther. Looking at LA last year, you're simply not going to pick up the pieces they did for relatively cheap like they did. The odds of going that far are pretty slim for an 8th seed or a team with no recent playoff experience. So take the experience for what it's worth, however many rounds you can achieve and build from there with your core intact. Role players are extremely valuable once you have that top end talent in place.

Deal a second and a third pick if you can get a good piece, but retain that 1st rounder and one each of a second and third round. Refill the prospect pool and pick up a piece for a playoff run.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:46 AM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Anyone on the Jets board that doesn't pick playoffs as a answer should be digitally tarred and feathered and banned from the board.
Agreed 100%. Not wanting to win is anti-sport. If all you want is hope then I suggest you find a faith, not pro sports.

Even talk of awarding teams through the draft get my goat because it reminds we don't actually play in a truly competitive league, rather a watered collection of McHockey franchises where everyone gets to win. How cute.

end of rant

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
jigglysquishy

Playoffs.

A lot of our core doesn't have NHL playoff experience. Namely, Pavelac, Bogosian, Kane, Little and Enstrom. I would love for them to grow in a high pressure situation.

Second, I want Buff and Ladd to show they're cup winning leaders. Buff is the kind of guy that screams playoff man.

Bogo and Kane have looked really good this year. They're both developing into franchise players. A playoff series (even a first round sweep) will go a long way into helping these guys grow.

Also, white out. Its been too long

Last edited by jigglysquishy: 03-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.
jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

Also, white out. Its been too long
Legit question: Am I the only one that sees the Detroit Red Wings skating out onto the ice in Phoenix (Glendale) wearing white jerseys while the full stands are white due to the white out and how silly that looked as every Phoenix fan is wearing the same color as the visiting team? Home teams wear dark now, right?

I loved the white out and quite happily mocked anyone attending Jets 1.0 playoff games not wearing white. Does it still make sense, aside from tradition dating back to an earlier incarnation of this franchise?

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:13 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Playoffs of course

In the long run I think we would benefit from a top ten pick though

To me anyways (I could be wrong just what I've been seeing or thinking I've been seeing) we have been getting some very lucky goals and fortunate bounces and we spend most of the game hanging on for dear life I honestly don't know if we can sustain that and make the playoffs

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Legit question: Am I the only one that sees the Detroit Red Wings skating out onto the ice in Phoenix (Glendale) wearing white jerseys while the full stands are white due to the white out and how silly that looked as every Phoenix fan is wearing the same color as the visiting team? Home teams wear dark now, right?

I loved the white out and quite happily mocked anyone attending Jets 1.0 playoff games not wearing white. Does it still make sense, aside from tradition dating back to an earlier incarnation of this franchise?
something to do with only needing to carry one set of jerseys from what i vaguely remember

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
That Is correct but imagine, if we got Mackinnon, Seth Jones, Drouin or Barkov(one of them), then we be really winning.
who gives a **** if we're a team good enough to make the playoffs this year, make the conference finals next year, and challange for a cup the year following?

how about we make the playoffs, fleece a team at the deadline for their first rounder, get lucky and end up with both?

Realistically though, playoffs. playoffs playoffs playoffs. it's becoming more of a reality (we're in a playoff position without a million games on our competitors[unlike last year])

furthermore, why a "top 10" pick? 7-10 would just be awful. top 3..well...i'd love the pick, but not the standing that comes with it.

truck: i don't understand your post. are you saying more and more it's looking like we'll need luck to get in? i thought we were trending the opposite direction?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

I loved the white out games at the old Winnipeg Arena, but do not want any part of that with this team. Every time we made the playoffs, we donned are brightest whites, painted our faces and blew the roof off that old building. Where did that get us? The white out is a curse I hope we never employ.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd rather everyone wear blue.
Most people have home jerseys, why have people leave them at home.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Why? Please answer
Quote:
Playoffs for sure.

To echo what Huffer said though be realistic about it. Yeah, maybe a trade can be made but should it be made? Most teams that are going to get in like the Jets this year can learn from even a single round in the playoffs and what it takes to go farther. Looking at LA last year, you're simply not going to pick up the pieces they did for relatively cheap like they did. The odds of going that far are pretty slim for an 8th seed or a team with no recent playoff experience. So take the experience for what it's worth, however many rounds you can achieve and build from there with your core intact. Role players are extremely valuable once you have that top end talent in place.

Deal a second and a third pick if you can get a good piece, but retain that 1st rounder and one each of a second and third round. Refill the prospect pool and pick up a piece for a playoff run.

They didn't get those pieces cheap though...

They gave up a top 3 league wide prospect (brayden schenn, who was actually listed #1 in some articles) and a young physical 45+ point scorer for Richards.

Carter may ahve been a better deal, but they traded a slumping d man who had been a top 5 producer for essentially the exact same player at forward

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:

Yep. Doesn't make any sense anymore as the home team wears their team colours. Visiting team wears visitor's white.

Anyways, that was the past. Time to let go. Calgary can have their Red Mile, Philly can have their Orange Crush. We'll go with our Blue Sky.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

playoffs, most definitely
I love it when every game is meaningful right down to the wire, and it's looking like that will be the case this year.
if we get in, this town will go nuts

not to sidetrack the thread, too lazy to look it up, but how many top 10 picks do we have now? gotta be 7 or 8?

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote