HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 10 pick or playoffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 11:02 AM
  #51
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,770
vCash: 500
The whiteout wasn't about matching the home team's jerseys, it was about a white out. Something Winnipeggers are quite familiar with during the winter months.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
  #52
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,111
vCash: 500
Of course I want the playoffs ( tar and feathers don't go with my jersey ), and if they make the playoffs then great, because that is a step forward for this team, and the goal of all teams.

BUT, if we don't make the playoffs, I want to finish dead last and get the best pick we can.

Missing the playoffs by a point would truly suck. Your not in the playoffs and your not in the top 10 picks either.


Last edited by cbcwpg: 03-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:18 AM
  #53
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
playoffs, most definitely
I love it when every game is meaningful right down to the wire, and it's looking like that will be the case this year.
if we get in, this town will go nuts

not to sidetrack the thread, too lazy to look it up, but how many top 10 picks do we have now? gotta be 7 or 8?
Antropov - 10th
Bogosian - 3rd
Burmistrov - 8th
Jokinen - 3rd
Kane - 4th
Ladd - 4th
Wheeler - 5th
Montoya - 6th

8 plus Sheifleigh and Trouba.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  #54
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Antropov - 10th
Bogosian - 3rd
Burmistrov - 8th
Jokinen - 3rd
Kane - 4th
Ladd - 4th
Wheeler - 5th
Montoya - 6th

8 plus Sheifleigh and Trouba.
5 of which actuallymade by this organization... in my book thats sucking long enough.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
  #55
Jetsfareast
Youth Movement
 
Jetsfareast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philippines
Country: Canada
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Playoffs plus top 10 pick!

Itspossible

Jetsfareast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  #56
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
I think its important for young core players like Bogo, Kane, Little, Burmi and Pavs to experience the playoffs and 'get their feet wet' in the "second season". The sooner the better.
I would also hope the Jets sign Trouba and bring him in to experience it as well, even if he's not initially in the line-up.

A top 20 pick this year would likely be similar to a top 10-12 pick other years, due to quality & depth, so this may be the best year to make the playoffs and still add a decent prospect.
Once our young players experience the NHL playoffs, they'll have a better idea of what it takes to win and want to get there every year. Oh, and not to forget the added revenue for TNSE which helps solidify the profitability of the organization. That's good too.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
  #57
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,370
vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think its important for young core players like Bogo, Kane, Little, Burmi and Pavs to experience the playoffs and 'get their feet wet' in the "second season". The sooner the better.
I would also hope the Jets sign Trouba and bring him in to experience it as well, even if he's not initially in the line-up.

A top 20 pick this year would likely be similar to a top 10-12 pick other years, due to quality & depth, so this may be the best year to make the playoffs and still add a decent prospect.
Once our young players experience the NHL playoffs, they'll have a better idea of what it takes to win and want to get there every year. Oh, and not to forget the added revenue for TNSE which helps solidify the profitability of the organization. That's good too.
Zero chance we see Trouba.
If he signs with us he can't return to Michigan.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
  #58
Brainstrained
Registered User
 
Brainstrained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northeastern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
We'll go with our Blue Sky.
Blue Jets jerseys of any vintage, blue Jetswear, or just plain blue.

Brainstrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
  #59
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,111
vCash: 500
The Sea of Blue.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:31 PM
  #60
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
Playoffs plus top 10 pick!

Itspossible
If we make a trade it is I guess. But how would we pry a top 10 pick away from another team

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
  #61
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,253
vCash: 500
Let me rephrase the question:

1) Get into the playoffs

2) Suck and get a prospect who can hopefully help us get into the playoffs

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
  #62
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think its important for young core players like Bogo, Kane, Little, Burmi and Pavs to experience the playoffs and 'get their feet wet' in the "second season". The sooner the better.
I would also hope the Jets sign Trouba and bring him in to experience it as well, even if he's not initially in the line-up.

A top 20 pick this year would likely be similar to a top 10-12 pick other years, due to quality & depth, so this may be the best year to make the playoffs and still add a decent prospect.
Once our young players experience the NHL playoffs, they'll have a better idea of what it takes to win and want to get there every year. Oh, and not to forget the added revenue for TNSE which helps solidify the profitability of the organization. That's good too.
You won't be seeing Trouba in a Jets' jersey for a while my friend.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
  #63
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Zero chance we see Trouba.
If he signs with us he can't return to Michigan.
Right, he'd be leaving school early.

Rumblings that he might not be back at Michigan next year, so if he's maybe thinking of leaving, why not sign him and bring him in for a playoff run?

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
  #64
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
You won't be seeing Trouba in a Jets' jersey for a while my friend.
Has that been confirmed? Or a guess?

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:22 PM
  #65
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Has that been confirmed? Or a guess?
i thinka guess set in historical precedent. Has what your suggesting ever happened? Signed an NCAA player during their first year of school to join a team at the playoffs?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  #66
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
i thinka guess set in historical precedent. Has what your suggesting ever happened? Signed an NCAA player during their first year of school to join a team at the playoffs?
Well recently, Erik Johnson played 1 year at Minnesota and then signed with the Blues that spring. But, the Blues weren't in playoffs that year, I guess.

Kesler and Suter also left after 1 year of college, but went to the AHL.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
  #67
ahplk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
The Sea of Blue.
TNSE purchased the trademark for "whiteout"...leave those blue jerseys at home.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/06/0...eout-trademark

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
  #68
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well recently, Erik Johnson played 1 year at Minnesota and then signed with the Blues that spring. But, the Blues weren't in playoffs that year, I guess.

Kesler and Suter also left after 1 year of college, but went to the AHL.
Sounds like a no to me....

I'd be very suprised if they signed him this spring for playoffs

I'd be suprised if they signed him for next year.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
  #69
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
I guess the other issue in signing Trouba, this spring after his season ends, is whether playing 2 games eats a year of his ELC. Not sure what the new CBA states on this.

Trouba might want to sign, to get to RFA and 2nd contract status sooner, but the Jets have shown (with Scheifele) that they don't want to burn a year with a partial game schedule, when the player may not be ready for full-time work.

Ok, I'll forget my 'sign Trouba soon for playoffs' idea. .

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #70
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Sounds like a no to me....

I'd be very suprised if they signed him this spring for playoffs

I'd be suprised if they signed him for next year.
I was thinking of Neal Broten, but that was after his sophomore season.

I was at a late season game that year vs Mike Luit and Blues, in Minny, and Broten was a rookie from college. I remember the excitement around his arrival, local state kid/Olympic champ, was crazy. He didn't play many reg season games, but played in playoffs.

Edit: that was in 1981, and I was a teenager. So 30+ yrs ago, and since then, not too many examples of college kids signing and playing in playoffs, I'll admit.


Last edited by Bob E: 03-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
  #71
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
If we make the playoffs, there is a good chance the Jets will wear white at home.

I can't see how any so-called Jets fan would hope that their team DROPS OUT of a playoff spot just to get a higher draft pick. What about when the McDavid hype starts up in a year or two? Should we hope they tank that season, too?

Look what Chevy did last year with the 9th pick.

It would be a more even debate if the question was:

If the Jets are eliminated, do you want them to keep winning and finish 9th-10th, or lose and pick higher?

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
  #72
ahplk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
If we make the playoffs, there is a good chance the Jets will wear white at home.

I can't see how any so-called Jets fan would hope that their team DROPS OUT of a playoff spot just to get a higher draft pick. What about when the McDavid hype starts up in a year or two? Should we hope they tank that season, too?

Look what Chevy did last year with the 9th pick.

It would be a more even debate if the question was:

If the Jets are eliminated, do you want them to keep winning and finish 9th-10th, or lose and pick higher?
Being mathematically eliminated, I'd give some of the younger guys more ice time to see what they could do carrying the load...maybe some St. John's call-ups. Give Montoya more starts...Pavs is likely to be ridden from here on out, so he'll probably need some time off. If that leads to dropping in the standings, then so be it.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:20 PM
  #73
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,512
vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I guess the other issue in signing Trouba, this spring after his season ends, is whether playing 2 games eats a year of his ELC. Not sure what the new CBA states on this.

Trouba might want to sign, to get to RFA and 2nd contract status sooner, but the Jets have shown (with Scheifele) that they don't want to burn a year with a partial game schedule, when the player may not be ready for full-time work.

Ok, I'll forget my 'sign Trouba soon for playoffs' idea. .
If I had to guess the same 5 game rule before eating a year would apply to Trouba at the end of the year as it applied to Scheifele at the beginning of the year.

CBA guys, correct, yes no?

So in "Theory", IF (big if) Trouba says 100% he's not going back to the NCAA next year and wants to start pro hockey, and IF the Jets are out of the playoffs at the end of the season, wouldn't it make it theoretically possible to see him in 4 games before the end of the season and not burn a year of ELC?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:40 PM
  #74
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
If I had to guess the same 5 game rule before eating a year would apply to Trouba at the end of the year as it applied to Scheifele at the beginning of the year.

CBA guys, correct, yes no?

So in "Theory", IF (big if) Trouba says 100% he's not going back to the NCAA next year and wants to start pro hockey, and IF the Jets are out of the playoffs at the end of the season, wouldn't it make it theoretically possible to see him in 4 games before the end of the season and not burn a year of ELC?
My guess is he'd want another year in college. If he signs then the Jets will probably have him starting out in the A. For what he'd make in the AHL, he'd probably just stick around another year at Michigan. He's not exactly a finished product at the collegiate level quite yet. I'd like to see him eliminate the questionable decisions before he moves on to the pros, even if its the AHL. Develop his offence more, then teach him how to play pro level hockey.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
  #75
Aries56
Registered User
 
Aries56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
Playoffs.

If you give up on a team, or encourage losing... the players are gonna get a losers mentality. This is a young team, and winning does wonders for a players development.

Also, you can still get a very good player and make the playoffs.. you just gotta have good scouts. I trust our scouts so far...

Look at Eberle. Was taken 22nd overall... pretty late 1st round pick for such a dynamic player.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.