HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel for Corey Perry?

Old
03-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel for Corey Perry?

To Toronto: Corey Perry (UFA)
To Anaheim: Phil Kessel

Bob McKenzie says that Corey Perry will not be signing on with the Anaheim Ducks. Perry is likely to be traded before the deadline, unless the Ducks change their minds and part with Ryan Getzlaf (very unlikely). Phil Kessel finished 6th in league scoring last season and has another year on his contract at around $5.5M. He will be an UFA in July of 2014.

Brian Burke has returned to Anaheim as a scout. He loves Phil Kessel, for good reason.

Kessel could flourish in a hockey market like Anaheim.

Perry is a perfect fit for the Toronto roster.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:09 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Lmaooo this was literally done like 7 hours ago

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
To Toronto: Corey Perry (UFA)
To Anaheim: Phil Kessel

Bob McKenzie says that Corey Perry will not be signing on with the Anaheim Ducks. Perry is likely to be traded before the deadline, unless the Ducks change their minds and part with Ryan Getzlaf (very unlikely). Phil Kessel finished 6th in league scoring last season and has another year on his contract at around $5.5M. He will be an UFA in July of 2014.

Brian Burke has returned to Anaheim as a scout. He loves Phil Kessel, for good reason.

Kessel could flourish in a hockey market like Anaheim.

Perry is a perfect fit for the Toronto roster.
The goal is to add Perry to the top 6 in Toronto in addition to Kessel, not swap them for each other.

If Toronto wants to get him before anyone since he has a good shot of ending up there if he hits free agency, I think it might cost...

To Anaheim: Mike Komisarek + 1st (Conditional, if he re-signs its 1st, if he doesn't, it's a 3rd) + Colborne.
To Toronto: Corey Perry

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:41 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The goal is to add Perry to the top 6 in Toronto in addition to Kessel, not swap them for each other.

If Toronto wants to get him before anyone since he has a good shot of ending up there if he hits free agency, I think it might cost...

To Anaheim: Mike Komisarek + 1st (Conditional, if he re-signs its 1st, if he doesn't, it's a 3rd) + Colborne.
Either you forgot to add something to this or you are being totally unrealstic. Komisarek has no value, if anything he has negative value and since they probably won't re-sign him it is a 3rd round pick?

Do you really think they would trade a player who is better than Kessel for a 3rd round pick and a prospect who looks like he is well on his way to being a bust?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:48 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Bob McKenzie never said that unless you can provide a source OP
Quote:

Yeah man we're going to take Komisarek to be our 8th defensemen for a former MVP

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:51 AM
416Leafer

Quote:

Perry is a significant upgrade over Kessel. If a Kessel for Perry deal could be had, you do it. You also have to think of the salary structure of the team, Kessels going to be up for a new contract, and having 14-15M tied up in two wingers doesnt sit well with me.

Also, your proposal is completely unrealistic.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:13 AM
seanlinden

Toronto is not going to trade for Corey Perry to "add him" to the group. This is a team that just signed Joffrey Lupul to a new deal, they've got James van Riemsdyk, Matt Frattin & Nikolai Kulemin all signed for next year. It just doesn't make sense to have that much money tied up in 2 wingers. a

Meanwhile, the ONLY way a Kessel-for-Perry swap could happen, is if Perry refuses to sign in Anaheim, but is willing to pre-negotiate an extension in Toronto... at which point there's room for a deal, with Anaheim probably adding a relatively small piece.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Jeebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Meanwhile, the ONLY way a Kessel-for-Perry swap could happen, is if Perry refuses to sign in Anaheim, but is willing to pre-negotiate an extension in Toronto... at which point there's room for a deal, with Anaheim probably adding a relatively small piece.
I'm a Leafs fan and in a Perry for Kessel swap, it won't be Anaheim who's adding.

Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:33 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
I'm a Leafs fan and in a Perry for Kessel swap, it won't be Anaheim who's adding.
It absolutely will, simply based on relative value.

Perry's better than Kessel, but Kessel is 2 years younger. He's also, presumably, going to cost less than Perry to resign next year. Which one ends up being the "better buy" is certainly unknown.

As a result, the Perry/Kessel swap, assuming Perry has agreed to a contract, isn't necessarily an open and shut case. You also have to guage what Kessel is going to cost, and which you'd prefer.

On the Anaheim side, if Perry won't resign, and you can get Phil Kessel for him, that's a total no-brainer.... so, there's a difference in value to be made up. Kessel for 1 year at $5.4m makes up substantially more than the difference than their skill sets for a couple months this year. It also puts them in a substantially stronger position to resign Getzlaf.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:43 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:

That offer will be outbid immediately. It's tough with UFAs because you need to give value but not overpay - I'd say depending in the market Kulemin and MacArthur could get some traction...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:47 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Toronto is not going to trade for Corey Perry to "add him" to the group. This is a team that just signed Joffrey Lupul to a new deal, they've got James van Riemsdyk, Matt Frattin & Nikolai Kulemin all signed for next year. It just doesn't make sense to have that much money tied up in 2 wingers. a

Anaheim would have to add, you are correct. If a players contract wants out their value will depreciate considerably - although prenegotiations would not happen.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I can't wait till trade deadline one way or the other.

Does anyone know if Perry has a good relationship with Carlyle? He did win the Hart+Rocket under him.

I hope we can get him before he gets to UFA...because it will suck trying to outbid at least 6-7 teams if he wants to play close to home.

If he is UFA and wants to play close to home, he's going to go to Ottawa . #1C, #1D, good team and system...

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:30 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
It absolutely will, simply based on relative value.

Perry's better than Kessel, but Kessel is 2 years younger. He's also, presumably, going to cost less than Perry to resign next year. Which one ends up being the "better buy" is certainly unknown.

As a result, the Perry/Kessel swap, assuming Perry has agreed to a contract, isn't necessarily an open and shut case. You also have to guage what Kessel is going to cost, and which you'd prefer.
Kessel resigning in Anaheim next year isn't an open and shut case either. The assumption in the idea for a Kessel for Perry swap, is that Leafs management would get a chance to talk to Perry beforehand, and see if a deal could be agreed upon.

IMO Perrys new deal will be closer in value to what he brings to the table than Kessels. If Perry gets ~7.5-8 and Kessel gets 6.5-7, I would take Perry and his contract. He's a far more complete/dominant player.

And if Anaheim makes this trade, 12 months from now they may have to trade Kessel and go through this all over again. I see no reason why Anaheim would have to add when they're giving up the better player in a deal where presumably the Leafs would already have a contract agreed upon (such as in the original Kessel deal, where he was traded for with a contract already agreed to).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:34 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

This would be a no brainer

Kessel + 1st + Matt Finn for Perry(signed)

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:42 AM
kihei

vCash: 4667
I stated on the other thread that it makes sense to wait it out and attempt to nab both. Reading different responses on this thread, though, I've come to the conclusion that that is either impractical, nonsensical or risky. So I would make this trade on the condition that Perry is willing to sign a deal with the Leafs. It would be nice to get another little piece in the process for Phil, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if we couldn't.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:43 AM
kihei

vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post

You make it so ridiculously easy to say "no." I would agree it's a total no brainer, though.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Either you forgot to add something to this or you are being totally unrealstic. Komisarek has no value, if anything he has negative value and since they probably won't re-sign him it is a 3rd round pick?

Do you really think they would trade a player who is better than Kessel for a 3rd round pick and a prospect who looks like he is well on his way to being a bust?
I don't think that's fair value, but Colborne's potential is still up in the air. Hard to call him a bust though, especially after everyone called Kadri one. Eakins drastically improved Kadri, and it wouldn't surprise me if Colborne improved as well. But yeah, not fair value.

Quote:

I'd do this, as long as the 1st was conditional on re-signing. Or Toronto negotiates with Perry beforehand and he comes signed.

Rob Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Anaheim and Toronto can pull this off and it'll remind people of the Hossa-Heatley swap of a few years ago.

Anaheim will not regress this season because they'll be replacing NHL talent but NHL talent.

Only if Perry indicates that he'd re-sign, though.

03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
I don't think that's fair value, but Colborne's potential is still up in the air. Hard to call him a bust though, especially after everyone called Kadri one. Eakins drastically improved Kadri, and it wouldn't surprise me if Colborne improved as well. But yeah, not fair value.

I'd do this, as long as the 1st was conditional on re-signing. Or Toronto negotiates with Perry beforehand and he comes signed.
No way the 1st is going.

The difference between Perry and Kessel is a bright prospect going from Toronto's side, but not elite.

Corey Perry

for

Phil Kessel
Matt Finn

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:09 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
You make it so ridiculously easy to say "no." I would agree it's a total no brainer, though.

funny guy

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Morlu

Quote:

God no.... What are you smoking? Basically 2 firsts and Kessel for Perry??? This isn't Crosby, you wouldn't even get that for Getzlaf.

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Quote:

Dougie Hamilton, Tyler Seguin, Matt Finn and a 1st for Perry? lol

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

the more i think about it
the more i like it

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:

Are you out of your mind?

If Perry is traded that means he had no intention to sign with Anaheim...right now those are just rumors but as we get closer to the deadline, Perry has to be traded or Anaheim has to gamble that they can win the Cup, keep him and try their luck @ UFA.

Kessel + 1st + Matt Finn?

No way in hell.

Kessel for Perry (signed) is literally the best deal the Ducks can get if they want an impact player in return.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

ryan getzlaf kessel

whats wrong with that?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote