HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 02:09 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Cool. Lundqvist won individual awards and Rinne was nominated. That makes them better than Price. No problem. None have won a Cup. That makes them even in that respect. When all is said and done, none of them are HOF worthy unless they win it all.

BTW why isn't Mike Vernon in the HOF?
The thing that makes Rinnie good is what he suffers through night in and night out with the team in front of him especially this season. Mind you Rinnie has serious bad stretches also.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:25 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The thing that makes Rinnie good is what he suffers through night in and night out with the team in front of him especially this season. Mind you Rinnie has serious bad stretches also.
Rinne has a great D in front of him, but a terrible O. It's easy to keep games close in that situation.

I feel worse for Price because in both of his bad showings the D was pretty suspect. In both of those games it seems the team decided to ignore D to try to play a high flying offense to match their opponents. That hasn't been the recipe for wins for this team this season. How many odd man rushes were given up against the Isle? How many times were quality shots given up in the penguins game? The team needs to realize that you don't try to match offense for offense with 2 of the best centers in the game.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:32 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnt View Post
Normally a bad streak shouldn't be a cause for concern but we've seen this version of Price before and it can get real ugly. It seems like he checks out mentally.
No, we haven't seen "this version" of Price before. Price NORMALLY does an excellent job of keeping games competitive and keeping the other teams scoring down single handedly. Occasionally he might let in a "soft" goal late in the game but generally he's solid throughout. The problem HASN'T been goaltending. It's been completely forgetting the system that's made them successful this season. It's been buying into an idea that the team can match speed for speed against the fastest groups in the league. They did well against Pittsburgh, and didn't fare completely poorly against the isle. But the team left Price out to dry more times than he could handle. The team needs to get their stuff together and remember that it's the defensive system that has kept them successful. That's how they beat the B's. Keep to the system, and this team wins. Play the other teams game and they lose. NO goaltender would have made the habs competitive against the isle in that pathetic showing, and only Price could have kept them strong into OT with Pittsburgh.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:40 AM
simplysincere*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
No, we haven't seen "this version" of Price before. Price NORMALLY does an excellent job of keeping games competitive and keeping the other teams scoring down single handedly. Occasionally he might let in a "soft" goal late in the game but generally he's solid throughout. The problem HASN'T been goaltending. It's been completely forgetting the system that's made them successful this season. It's been buying into an idea that the team can match speed for speed against the fastest groups in the league. They did well against Pittsburgh, and didn't fare completely poorly against the isle. But the team left Price out to dry more times than he could handle. The team needs to get their stuff together and remember that it's the defensive system that has kept them successful. That's how they beat the B's. Keep to the system, and this team wins. Play the other teams game and they lose. NO goaltender would have made the habs competitive against the isle in that pathetic showing, and only Price could have kept them strong into OT with Pittsburgh.
The system in place is fine, and our D have been strong this year, especially at preventing secondary scoring opportunities. We also haven't giving up many shots.

If you look at the highlights of the games Price has been in, and the goals he's let in, he's been unable to make the first save. The goals he lets in are just ripped through him, almost from anywhere too.

simplysincere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:48 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberPucky View Post
The system in place is fine, and our D have been strong this year, especially at preventing secondary scoring opportunities. We also haven't giving up many shots.

If you look at the highlights of the games Price has been in, and the goals he's let in, he's been unable to make the first save. The goals he lets in are just ripped through him, almost from anywhere too.
B/s. There was a weak goal against the Sens when Bishop was in net. Yes, the system in place WOULD be fine had they played it. The problem is in the two games Price has been less than great in they got away from that game and tried to be an offense first team. Rather than playing Therrien's system they tried to match opportunity for opportunity against the islanders and penguins. Which led to a lot of odd man rushes for said teams. They weren't buying into the system that worked. Yeah, Price wasn't at his best in the last game they played, but neither was he at his worst. The team got away from the team game, and Price paid for it.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:58 AM
simplysincere*

The bottom line here, is this. Goaltending is overrated. Ken Holland was right, it's not worth it to spend more than 5 million on a goaltender alone. The majority of starters in the league are all about equal, there's lots of parity amongst goaltenders, especially within the last decade or so. Thus overpaying for one today is unnecessary.

With the exception of Rinne and Lundqvist, there are no other goalies in the league that are "superstars" at their position.

I'd rather have a goalie like Niemi, who can still get the job done as well as Price, if not better, and cost 3 million less per season. They paid price 2 million too much per season. I understand they didn't have much choice in terms of leveraging, but still, I would've passed on Price at 6.5 million per, especially at the length of 6 years (too long at that term).

That extra 3 million per season could mean signing a guy like Getzlaf in the offspring.

Last edited by simplysincere*: 03-06-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
The bottom line here, is this. Goaltending is overrated. Ken Holland was right, it's not worth it to spend more than 5 million on a goaltender alone. The majority of starters in the league are all about equal, there's lots of parity amongst goaltenders, especially within the last decade or so. Thus overpaying for one today is unnecessary.
With the exception of Rinne and Lundqvist, there are no other goalies in the league that are "superstars" at their position.

I'd rather have a goalie like Niemi, who can still get the job done as well as Price, if not better, and cost 3 million less per season.

That extra 3 million could mean signing a guy like Getzlaf in the offspring.
I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Price is the equal of Rinne and Lundqvist at this point and will be better in the future. The fact of the matter is that goalies face FAR more criticism for their position than any other position. How many would question a 6.5 million defensman? Or a 6.5 million 2nd line center?

Mods, since the OP was by me is there any way to get this b/s thread deleted? I never once imagined price would alllow such a goal differential when I first posted the thread. After these two poor showings by the team as a whole that left Price out to dry it seems a bit mean spirited. PLEASE DELETE.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:15 AM
simplysincere*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Price is the equal of Rinne and Lundqvist at this point and will be better in the future. The fact of the matter is that goalies face FAR more criticism for their position than any other position. How many would question a 6.5 million defensman? Or a 6.5 million 2nd line center?

Mods, since the OP was by me is there any way to get this b/s thread deleted? I never once imagined price would alllow such a goal differential when I first posted the thread. After these two poor showings by the team as a whole that left Price out to dry it seems a bit mean spirited. PLEASE DELETE.
No, Price is not equal to Rinne or Lundqvist, not even close. I've showed enough stats in my previous replies to this thread, to prove with facts, that Price is not near Rinne or Lundqvist's level.

Again, saying that Price will be better than Rinne or Lundqvist in the future is meaningless and irrelevant. It's like me saying Tuuka Rask will be better than Jonathan Quick. You can't predict the future, so it's truly irrelevant to even attempt it.

All players that don't meet their expectations get deservedly criticized, and rightfully so. If you're awarded a big contract, and can't live up to the expectations, you deserve the flak. Gomez was the most recent example. If Gomez was being paid 1.5 million per season as opposed to 7.5, no one would've really cared. If Price signed at one year for 3 million this season, people would probably lay off. But, he's signed at 6.5 million per season for the next 6 years, and is already off to a bad start, slightly below average at best.

The intentions of these boards are to allow posters to give their honest opinions, barring that they are done so in a respectful way (which I think the overwhelming majority of us posters are, respectful). No one here has done anything wrong or disrespectful. So to attribute our opinions as the reason for Price's poor play, is beyond absurd.

Just out of good fun though, like the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for" OP!

Old
03-06-2013, 06:30 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We didn't need a goalie before but now that Price has had back to back weak games we suddenly need a goalie? Okay man...

And sorry but Diaz is not Nik Lidstrom.

Price has sucked the past couple of games, there's no dispute. But to try to say that he hasn't been great before this is inaccurate. He's been our best player all year long and now he's gone into the ditch.

You'd better hope that he comes out of it because if he doesn't you're going to find out very quickly how important he is to this team.

He's not even Bobby Ryan... am I doing this right?
Not even close to our best player. Tomas Plekanecs is almost every game.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
habsfanatics

I love the down playing of Saint Patrick, the goalie who led the league in save % for 4 out of 5 yeas after his 86 Stanley Cup. He was really struggling regularly posting .900+ sv % when the rest of the league was sub .900.

He was beating the league by .010 every year until Hasek came along. You can try and rewrite history, but it won't work.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Tuggy

Definitely been subpar the last little bit here. Hopefully he can get it back on track soon.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Prendan Brust

Price's only going through a bad stint, it happens to all goalies, nothing to worry about.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I'd rather have a goalie like Niemi, who can still get the job done as well as Price, if not better, and cost 3 million less per season. They paid price 2 million too much per season. I understand they didn't have much choice in terms of leveraging, but still, I would've passed on Price at 6.5 million per, especially at the length of 6 years (too long at that term).

That extra 3 million per season could mean signing a guy like Getzlaf in the offspring.

If that was the case Boston would have never won the cup. Goaltending was BY FAR what got them there.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
DAChampion

I remember, earlier in the season, people were complaining that Budaj sucked, and some were wondering if Price could be a generational talent, or at the very least that he would take Luongo's job in Sochi.

Some of you don't get slumps. I'm not even sure if 2 games counts as a real slump, it might just be a statistical fluctuation.

One thing though, and I can't help myself, maybe Therrien shouldn't have gotten rid of the triple low five. Subban and Price are good friends, let them enjoy the game.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Subpar as of now. Has the talent to rebound. But I stand with what I said, even though we won....he should have played against the Bruins. Feels to me like that is confidence is pretty low after the Pens and the way you make him forget about it was to get right back in...not let him think about him and see his pal win putting the extra pressure. Having said that, it's not like he's weak. Tons of goals yesterday weren't his fault. But you would expect from your goalie to come with some great saves borderline miraculous ones. Would have been great to see him come big against Moulson. Martin and Grabner he had absolutely no change in having, not him, not anybody. Martinek...well the shot was deflected, yet at one point, it was not deflected by 3 feet, tons of goalies stop deflected pucks, Price included. The Tavares goal...well here could have come the miraculous save top 10 play of the week.....but a fragile goalie right now is probably not able to be in that state of mind. Not weak, not a whole lot of chances on any of the goals....but not game changing either.

Tons of stupid defensive coverage. To which my suggestion to Therrien...KEEP THOSE LINES TOGETHER AND STOP CHANGING THEM. That way, players will know who's doing what and who's covering who.

Price against Carolina. They better not go with Budaj. If so, make Budaj your #1 goalie.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:

I always tought that. Success/stats of a goalie are greatly correlated to his team. That's why you got new "hot" goalie each year, and some "hot" goalie being not so succeful the next year.

Guys like Lundqvist, Brodeur or Rinne are considered TOP 'tender cause they are the few who are performing year after year.

This season, Corey Crawford and Craig Anderson(who has always been a succeful goalie) are the "hot" goaltender and might very well win the Vezina. Antti Niemi, who already have a stanley ring, is having the season of his career and could be a candidate too.

But who know what's gonna happen with these guy in 2 or 3 years? Remember when Miller, Kipru and Lethonen were the talk of the league?

There is only 30 goalie starter in the NHL, and pretty much all of them can have GREAT season given the right team. People stick to them a "superstar" etiquette way too fast.

Price only had 1 season who could be considered among TOP goalie quality. Pretty common these day in the NHL, and That huge contract was one heck of a risk taken.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:43 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
No, Price is not equal to Rinne or Lundqvist, not even close. I've showed enough stats in my previous replies to this thread, to prove with facts, that Price is not near Rinne or Lundqvist's level.

Again, saying that Price will be better than Rinne or Lundqvist in the future is meaningless and irrelevant. It's like me saying Tuuka Rask will be better than Jonathan Quick. You can't predict the future, so it's truly irrelevant to even attempt it.

All players that don't meet their expectations get deservedly criticized, and rightfully so. If you're awarded a big contract, and can't live up to the expectations, you deserve the flak. Gomez was the most recent example. If Gomez was being paid 1.5 million per season as opposed to 7.5, no one would've really cared. If Price signed at one year for 3 million this season, people would probably lay off. But, he's signed at 6.5 million per season for the next 6 years, and is already off to a bad start, slightly below average at best.

The intentions of these boards are to allow posters to give their honest opinions, barring that they are done so in a respectful way (which I think the overwhelming majority of us posters are, respectful). No one here has done anything wrong or disrespectful. So to attribute our opinions as the reason for Price's poor play, is beyond absurd.

Just out of good fun though, like the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for" OP!
So 2 questionable games out of the 18 he's started is a bad start? I've got news for you all of the goalies have bad games/stretches Price will bounce back. Pretty sure that Therrien will have this team straightening out their defensive play by Thursday. If not he's not afraid to bench guys to fix the problem.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If that was the case Boston would have never won the cup. Goaltending was BY FAR what got them there.
Thomas was one of them few goaltender who could steel game by himself. Look at chicago or Los Angeles, their goalie were great, but didn't won the cup by themself, nor were the greatest 'tender of the NHL.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
So 2 questionable games out of the 18 he's started is a bad start? I've got news for you all of the goalies have bad games/stretches Price will bounce back. Pretty sure that Therrien will have this team straightening out their defensive play by Thursday. If not he's not afraid to bench guys to fix the problem.
Well we are a top team aren't we? And people here love stats like Corsi and such? Well stats for goalies are GAA and Save%. Out of the goalies that has played 10+games, Price is 22nd on Save% and 13th for his GAA. Those are pretty average stats aren't they for a goalie who plays on a top team? I mean, we can't talk about how bad the team is this year.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
Price has less than 0,900% save in 5 of his last 10 games, and have allowed weak goals against NYI 2x, Toronto, PIT and Ottawa. I would not call that only 2 "questionable" game. The lost of Diaz is hurting our defense, but it only show that Price need a solid defense to perform, like the majority of the NHL goaltender. He is not in a "special" division of Top goaler.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Subpar as of now. Has the talent to rebound. But I stand with what I said, even though we won....he should have played against the Bruins. Feels to me like that is confidence is pretty low after the Pens and the way you make him forget about it was to get right back in...not let him think about him and see his pal win putting the extra pressure. Having said that, it's not like he's weak. Tons of goals yesterday weren't his fault. But you would expect from your goalie to come with some great saves borderline miraculous ones. Would have been great to see him come big against Moulson. Martin and Grabner he had absolutely no change in having, not him, not anybody. Martinek...well the shot was deflected, yet at one point, it was not deflected by 3 feet, tons of goalies stop deflected pucks, Price included. The Tavares goal...well here could have come the miraculous save top 10 play of the week.....but a fragile goalie right now is probably not able to be in that state of mind. Not weak, not a whole lot of chances on any of the goals....but not game changing either.

Tons of stupid defensive coverage. To which my suggestion to Therrien...KEEP THOSE LINES TOGETHER AND STOP CHANGING THEM. That way, players will know who's doing what and who's covering who.

Price against Carolina. They better not go with Budaj. If so, make Budaj your #1 goalie.
I understand what you means, but the guy is 25, he is not a rookie anymore. If this situation "broke" his confidence, that so-called confidence must of been really weak to begin with. And if it's the case, he seriously need to work on it with a specialist, cause he is gonna face a lot more pressure going into the playoff and having the pressure to perform with his 6.5m$ contract.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
I understand what you means, but the guy is 25, he is not a rookie anymore. If this situation "broke" his confidence, that so-called confidence must of been really weak to begin with. And if it's the case, he seriously need to work on it with a specialist, cause he is gonna face a lot more pressure going into the playoff and having the pressure to perform with his 6.5m$ contract.
Well the contract was given based on projections. The guy had not given us some great playoffs to this point. We, to this day, have no idea how he'll react being THE man in a pressure situation like this. Great to think that this is equivalent to what he had to face with Tri-City, the WJC or the Hamilton Bulldogs but clearly it isn't. Tons of goalies have been great in Juniors and not be able to reach the Pros. Though Price did an incredible thing with his stint with the Dogs, that surely confirmed Gainey in giving the #1 job....but that was clearly way too soon. Then came the Halak competition which clearly he wasn't too confortable in. Now it's his own ballgame. NOW we have a very good team. A playoffs team that could surprise. NOW he has to elevate his game in due time. And that's the playoffs. But to get there, we have to win those regular season games. And we have to build a confidence level. You have to hope that he gets his game back in order. 'Cause agenda or not, if he fails in this upcoming playoffs...are people really going to blame AGAIN, the ones who might wish a stronger performance from our great goalie paid to be great? I hope not. But we are not there yet. LIke I said, he could and should get his game in order. And I do expect him to shine in due time.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
KrejciMVP

Price had always been fragile mentally. I know it's beating a dead horse but I was always a Halak fan after his almost cup run.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Price had always been fragile mentally. I know it's beating a dead horse but I was always a Halak fan after his almost cup run.
Halak looked awesome last night. His .884 sv% isn't something I'm looking for right now.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Halak looked awesome last night. His .884 sv% isn't something I'm looking for right now.
Halak IS just another OK goaler who had his hot streak and his cold streak. Far from being a ELITE, but can do a honest job with the right team. Still, the only thing Price have on him right now is potential and projection . By the way, .884 sv% have been the save average of Price 10 last game.

Last edited by Maelpj*: 03-06-2013 at 08:33 AM.