HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Atlanta Thrashers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2011, 12:42 PM
  #1
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Atlanta Thrashers

How this team will be remembered?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:45 PM
  #2
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
How this team will be remembered?
as mediocre at best. Atlanta never really got it going. There weren't any rival matches (except a few against the caps). It all was to unstable but I should point out that a move is yet to be determined.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
  #3
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,306
vCash: 500
They won't be.

Complete non-factor for the entire time of their existence.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
  #4
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
'Will they be remembered' might be the better question. In 11 years they did nothing of note, and were decidedly mediocre for most of their existence. Perhaps they'll just be remembered as the NHL's second failed attempt in Atlanta? The team name won't even be carried on this time like it was with the Flames.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
  #5
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
It all was to unstable but I should point out that a move is yet to be determined.
This is true, technically. The owners have to approve the change in ownership (75% votes required) and also approve a relocation (majority of votes required). They meet sometime in June I believe.

The move to Winnipeg is not officially finalized.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
  #6
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
'bout the same as the kansas city scouts or california golden seals. i.e., they won't be.

ten years and one memorable moment, in which, sadly, a player died.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
  #7
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,684
vCash: 500
Similar to the Atlanta Flames, I think. Some really exciting offensive superstars, but ultimately a team that was never a factor in much of anything

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
  #8
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
'bout the same as the kansas city scouts or california golden seals. i.e., they won't be.

ten years and one memorable moment, in which, sadly, a player died.
Sadly there is basically two things that might be remembered from this teams history. Kovalchuk and the night Heatly crashed his car and Snyder was killed.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
  #9
Chain Attack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,321
vCash: 500
As a leaf fan I'll always remember the 9-3 thrashing (no pun intended) we gave Atlanta earlier this year where Brett Lebda was a -3, but the thing I'll remember most was the Kovalchuk-Crosby incident when Kovalchuk scored and pointed at him. Off-ice problems aside, there's really not that much to say. I just got this random memory of Joe Bowen laughing like crazy at the Thrashers mascot who was dancing alongside a fan in the stands.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
  #10
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Similar to the Atlanta Flames, I think. Some really exciting offensive superstars, but ultimately a team that was never a factor in much of anything
The Flames at least made the playoffs a few times.

I think that, on the aggregate, over the past dozen years the Thrashers have been one of the NHL's bottom three teams along with Florida and Columbus (interestingly, they all made the playoffs exactly once, and they all won exactly zero games in that appearance)

Parity in the NHL has made it so that the good teams aren't as good as they once were, and you can't be as bad as some bad teams used to be, but by an era-adjusted standard (and I'm not going to try to be precise about this) - they have to have just completed one of the worst 12-year periods of futility in NHL history, "only mediocre" win% fueled by OTL points be damned.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
  #11
Johnny Engine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
About a week ago I made a thread "top Thrashers ever, the final list," and one person posted in it. Nobody made a list. That should tell you something.
I think the Scouts are a pretty good comparison, as their legacy seems to be "um...well nothing really happened there". The Seals are remembered as an absolute train wreck, and I don't think the Trasher's wore white enough skates to qualify for that.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:05 PM
  #12
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Had some great players pass through in Heatley, Kovy and Hossa. Helped the Hawks out when they were in cap trouble. That's it.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
  #13
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 36,664
vCash: 500
In a weird way, it's kind of neat to be able to say "I went to a Thrashers home game". That will have some old-timer value for me someday.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
  #14
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
The Flames at least made the playoffs a few times.

I think that, on the aggregate, over the past dozen years the Thrashers have been one of the NHL's bottom three teams along with Florida and Columbus (interestingly, they all made the playoffs exactly once, and they all won exactly zero games in that appearance)
The last time the Panthers qualified for the playoffs in 1999-2000, they were swept by the Devils, however they did make the Stanley Cup finals in 1995-96 and qualified for the playoffs the following season, loosing 4-1 to the Rangers. It's hard to image that the Panthers were one of the more promissing expansion teams in the 1990's.

As for the Thrashers, as time progresses they will probably fade into obscurity like some of the other expansion or relocated teams of the 1970's.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:01 PM
  #15
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
They won't be.

Complete non-factor for the entire time of their existence.
To a large extent, this is true.

How do people remember the California Seals? The Thrashers will be remembered in much the same way - they won't be.

BTW - there are probably three of us on the planet that have Seals jerseys, me being one of them. I have a Seals hat as well.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:03 PM
  #16
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Kovy won the Rocket Richard, was drafted by and spent a loooong time with the Thrashers.

A young, gap-toothed Heatley made unfortunate history with the team.

Slava Kozlov and Marian Hossa carried the team on their backs and made the playoffs one season.

Holik, Bondra, Savard, Tkachuk, Recchi, Chelios, Kovalchuk, Savard, Heatley, Hossa, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Pavelec, Kane all laced up the skates for the team- that's a lot of big names for such a short history!

The Thrashers were an exciting team to watch and with all their roster turnover were always a wildcard as to how successful they would be. They will be remembered as the posterchild for Canadian aggression, with fans across the country happy to see them die. That is twice Canada has stolen a team from my city now, and twice that crooked owners were more than happy to play along.

So I guess to remember the Thrashers in a word: sad.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
  #17
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 9,198
vCash: 500
Hopefully nobody will remember Chelios's time with the team.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
  #18
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
The last time the Panthers qualified for the playoffs in 1999-2000, they were swept by the Devils, however they did make the Stanley Cup finals in 1995-96 and qualified for the playoffs the following season, loosing 4-1 to the Rangers. It's hard to image that the Panthers were one of the more promissing expansion teams in the 1990's.

As for the Thrashers, as time progresses they will probably fade into obscurity like some of the other expansion or relocated teams of the 1970's.
I know that. I was definitely cutting off everything before 98-99 when I made that statement.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
  #19
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
1. A team that showed promise at various times in their history, but was ultimately let down repeatedly by Don Waddell. One of the worst track records as a GM in NHL history.

2. The southern expansion team Gary Bettman let walk away. He was willing to sell the Predators to a con man to keep them out of Canada. He has moved heaven and earth to keep the moribund Coyotes in the failed market of Phoenix, likely just because the optics of moving a team back to its original location would be seen as an admission of failure. But for whatever reason, he let Atlanta pull up stakes without any sort of fight. Not really sure why, and if I was a Thrashers fan I'd feel pretty betrayed. There's no way Atlanta should have been moved before Phoenix (who will move anyway).

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
  #20
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
1. A team that showed promise at various times in their history, but was ultimately let down repeatedly by Don Waddell. One of the worst track records as a GM in NHL history.

2. The southern expansion team Gary Bettman let walk away. He was willing to sell the Predators to a con man to keep them out of Canada. He has moved heaven and earth to keep the moribund Coyotes in the failed market of Phoenix, likely just because the optics of moving a team back to its original location would be seen as an admission of failure. But for whatever reason, he let Atlanta pull up stakes without any sort of fight. Not really sure why, and if I was a Thrashers fan I'd feel pretty betrayed. There's no way Atlanta should have been moved before Phoenix (who will move anyway).
As for your second point, it's hard to keep the team in Atlanta when the owners of the arena want them out.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
  #21
SidGenoMario
Registered User
 
SidGenoMario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,775
vCash: 500
Kovalchuk. That's it.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:41 PM
  #22
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,604
vCash: 500
As a long time Marian Hossa fan I became a Thrashers fan when he went there and thought his best career season all things considered was his Hart worthy but widely overlooked 100-point season there (the franchise's first and only three digit scorer), a force with and without the puck, still playing physical at that point too.

The Thrashers' 3-Star Award winner in 2007:

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
  #23
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
This must suck for former Thrasher players. A big part of a player's legacy is carried on by their club, the fans, and the media of their former team, and they're losing that.

Kovalchuk will have to build a new legacy in New Jersey.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:00 PM
  #24
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
This must suck for former Thrasher players. A big part of a player's legacy is carried on by their club, the fans, and the media of their former team, and they're losing that.

Kovalchuk will have to build a new legacy in New Jersey.
at least there are no banners or retired jerseys to take down, ahem phoenix and colorado, ahem.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:40 PM
  #25
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
As for your second point, it's hard to keep the team in Atlanta when the owners of the arena want them out.
And aren't the owners of the arena also the owners of the, ummm...team? Just a crappy, underhanded situation really. I think the team was basically a throw-in in the purchase of the arena so the owners treated the Thrashers like the red-headed step child from day one.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.