HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Capitals considering Hershey

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2005, 07:50 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Capitals considering Hershey

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2005...5559-4757r.htm

The speculation concerns the Caps shifting their American Hockey League farm team from Portland, where it has been since 1993, to Hershey for the 2005-06 season. To accomplish that without having what might be an expensive financial settlement, another AHL team would have to replace the Caps' affiliate in Maine. That team is believed to be the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, Anaheim's top farm team.

Old
03-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Colorado Avalanche

So there will be not AHL team for Avalanche?

Old
03-29-2005, 01:17 AM
katodelder

If this is true, the Avs and Cincinnati are the only teams not affiliated. Guess they have no choice.

Old
03-29-2005, 01:24 AM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2005...5559-4757r.htm

The speculation concerns the Caps shifting their American Hockey League farm team from Portland, where it has been since 1993, to Hershey for the 2005-06 season. To accomplish that without having what might be an expensive financial settlement, another AHL team would have to replace the Caps' affiliate in Maine. That team is believed to be the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, Anaheim's top farm team.
The Caps original affiliation was with Hershey. I'm not quite sure what going back to Hershey would add for us. I would rather see us have Baltimore or even Norfolk as a farm team. Speculation is also that the Caps have an agreement through 2005 with Portland. I could easily see Colorado taking that over or us supplying some players to Portland for another year.

Old
03-29-2005, 01:47 AM
TheStateOfHockey

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...40/1007/SPORTS

Quote:
A marriage ends: The next time the Hershey Bears come to Rochester, and that won't be until next season, they'll have a new parent team.

The Bears and Colorado Avalanche will part company after a nine-year partnership. Hershey won a Calder Cup in the first season with Avs prospects but, unless they mount a miracle charge, will miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season. That hasn't happened to the Bears in 20 years.

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are rumored to be the leading candidate to become the parent team in Hershey. The Ducks apparently are looking to leave Cincinnati. With the Cleveland Barons on life support because of nonexistent fans, it's very possible there won't be an AHL franchise in Ohio.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
That article (the one in the Washington Times) is a little odd because it was my understanding that there would be no physical move from Portland to Hershey, the Caps would just pull their prospects from Portland and assign them to Hershey. I could also be reading the article incorrectly.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:18 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
That article (the one in the Washington Times) is a little odd because it was my understanding that there would be no physical move from Portland to Hershey, the Caps would just pull their prospects from Portland and assign them to Hershey. I could also be reading the article incorrectly.
besides that who in Capitals land reads the Washington Times when the Post does an accurate reporting job and you can find it easier with the Caps having their own section....

Old
03-29-2005, 09:26 AM
SilverSkate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
So there will be not AHL team for Avalanche?
PL seems to be a cautious guy. I can see him waiting until more is known what’s happening with the next season – NHL vs replacement players. If there’s not a draft, there’s there no new talent coming in to develop. Most of the current prospects contracts expire at the end of this season. The only ones left, if I remember correctly is: Boychuk, Skladany, and Steeves. I’m not sure about Finger, Slovak, or Viitamen. It’s been reported that it costs NHL team about 1 million to outfit an AHL team, depending upon the agreement. If there is not draft, Colorado would have to hire people just to play in the AHL to fulfill their agreement. The past agreement with Hershey was 10 players, 2 goalies, and 2 coaches. I can see them having a partial agreement with someone.

Old
04-02-2005, 04:43 PM
GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
besides that who in Capitals land reads the Washington Times when the Post does an accurate reporting job and you can find it easier with the Caps having their own section....
Is that a joke? The Washington Post's coverage of the Caps is horrid. Always has been.

Old
04-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZillaAteMyZamboni
Is that a joke? The Washington Post's coverage of the Caps is horrid. Always has been.

Couldn't agree more. Fay pwns the Post.

Old
04-02-2005, 07:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
the Times lost all creedence when they posted that Fluff Marshall Post is a lot better at least they wouldn't bother printing garbage such as that.

Old
04-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Im starting to get sick of the expansion the AHL seems to be undertaking. Because of it, great rivalries have been lost and the intensity of the game taken a back a bit. I prefered when there were around 18 teams. Just my two cents.

Dont see why Colorado had to apt to move closer to home. But that seems to be the trend, as demonstrated by Worcester.

Old
04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittel16
Im starting to get sick of the expansion the AHL seems to be undertaking. Because of it, great rivalries have been lost and the intensity of the game taken a back a bit. I prefered when there were around 18 teams. Just my two cents.

Dont see why Colorado had to apt to move closer to home. But that seems to be the trend, as demonstrated by Worcester.
That isn't Worcester, that's the Blues business decision Nittel-----The Blues inherited Worcester when Founder Roy Boe was asked to start the Bridgeport franchise which he had to relinquish to the Islanders prior to this season....

Worcester and the organization and fans had the rug literally pulled underneath them----everbody knew that Saurs wanted an AHL team, he tried to acquire Norfolk but failed but the Blues already had Peoria as an affiliate but Worcester most likely would still be there had a local owner shown interest potentially Worcester would still be hosting the AHL IN 2005.

it still wouldn't have happened had either the E or A SAID NO.

IT is not for certain that Washington is going either because Hershey will not make an announcement until 1) the season's over.

Washington remains in Portland until further notice a la the Bears/Avalanche announcement.

Old
04-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

Dave Fay of the Washington Times wrote an article today that seems to imply that Anaheim will take over Portland's AHL affiliation, and the Caps will affiliate with Hershey.

Read it here:

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...4608-7577r.htm

Old
04-09-2005, 10:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

I thought the Pirates re-newed their lease with the CCC in Portland earlier this week?

Old
04-09-2005, 11:29 AM
fan mao rong

According to yesterday's Harrisburg Patriot News (not online) Portland Pirates signed a new 5 year agreement to play in Portland Arena. According to what I see on ECHL sites Cincinatti Mighty Ducks will leave the AHL with the possibility of joining ECHL. Colorado will maybe move its' AHL team to the CHL team near Denver. So I would surmise it's Anaheim to Portland Maine, Washington to Hershey, Colorado to the former CHL arena near Denver.

Old
04-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
According to yesterday's Harrisburg Patriot News (not online) Portland Pirates signed a new 5 year agreement to play in Portland Arena. According to what I see on ECHL sites Cincinatti Mighty Ducks will leave the AHL with the possibility of joining ECHL. Colorado will maybe move its' AHL team to the CHL team near Denver. So I would surmise it's Anaheim to Portland Maine, Washington to Hershey, Colorado to the former CHL arena near Denver.
Could the Ducks have a more logistically poor farm club than Portland Maine? Yeesh...

Old
04-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

There is speculation among fans that because the Pirates did not announce their renewal of affiliation when they announced their lease, the affiliation with the Caps was not renewed. All speculation, mind you.

Agreed on Anaheim and Portland. I guess they need the frequent flier miles?

Last edited by Marshall: 04-13-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old
04-13-2005, 09:27 PM
jr77812

Pirates have a 5 year deal in hand...speculation leans to Anaheim but Colorado has been rumored as well. We'll know shortly but it is all but certain the Caps will be leaving Portland.

Old
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittel16

rumor has it the Avs are angling to get the Colorado Eagles made into an AHL team, which would be a 45 minute drive for prospects.

Old
04-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

The announcement of Washington and Hershey affiliating is supposed to be at 12:30 today.

Old
04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Along these same lines, there are heavy rumors that the Panthers are interested in moving its minor league operations to Orlando from San Antonio. The local fans in San Antonio would love for Colorado to be its affiliate and its still pretty close proximity-wise. The only issue is the ownership of the Rampage...partially owned by the San Antonio Spurs and partially owned by the FL Panthers. Maybe FL sells their half to another team (like Colorado or Anaheim) and then either gets a team moved to Orlando or just gets an expansion team there. The Orlando team would play in the T.D. Waterhouse Centre from what I hear. A lot of major changes for next season in the AHL (3 new teams, several teams changing affiliations,etc).

Old
04-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

It's official.

"Hershey to Become Washington’s Top Minor-League Affiliate

4/26/05 - WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Washington Capitals announced today that the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League will become the team’s primary minor-league affiliate. The partnership, which will begin in the 2005-06 season, will allow the two organizations to work together in developing the Capitals’ top prospects."

http://washingtoncaps.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=283450

Old
04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
pitkanen>bouwmeester

Send a message via AIM to pitkanen>bouwmeester Send a message via Yahoo to pitkanen>bouwmeester
I need a new crop of players to watch. The Bears just absolutely sucked last year

Old
04-26-2005, 01:53 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitkanen>bouwmeester
I need a new crop of players to watch. The Bears just absolutely sucked last year
Budaj was fun to watch, well not really he was kind of a boring typical butterfly guy, but i liked him. But svatos and boychuk...ick.

I bet perrin will stay. I hope bonvie and clark go away no need for them. Fixter is as good as gone.

I'm really hoping to see mike green!!!

Closed Thread