HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Defenseman Acquisition Thread | Part I: Creating a Defense that is "no Soff"

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Malkinstheman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I resemble this remark.

I would keep Eaton with Letang. I think he's the perfect calming influence for our best defenseman.

I would like to see us try Despres-Bortuzzo on the third pairing. Didn't they play a lot together in the 'A'?

I'd also be fine with trading one of Orpik, Niskanen or Martin, then keeping the other two as a pairing (for the rest of this season).

Keep Engelland for depth and bring in one more veteran stay-at-home guy to have eight for the playoffs.

That's what I would like to see.

Trading Paul Martin right now would be a coup. I'm afraid if we wait until the off-season, he could have another playoff stinker and ruin all the work he's done this season to up his value once again.

But I'd deal any of the three veterans, really.
I'd rather trade orpik if the right deal is there. His body is starting to break down and soon he will hold extremely low value. If only he was a couple of years younger we could have given him to st.louis, but maybe theyd still be interested in orpik as a mentoring role for piet. or shattenkirk?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
conooper

Out of all 16 teams currently holding a playoff spot, The Pens are next to last in the Goals Allowed Stats. We need a top 4 defenseman in the worst way. I still think Orpik-Martin is a good, solid pairing. I'm not sure who would be out there and for what cost, but it's probably our biggest need right now. More than a scorer. Not one team has scored more goals this season than The Pens.

Orpik-Martin
? -Letang
Despres-Eaton
(Borts, Engo)

Old
03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Randy Butternubs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Douglas Murray.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by conooper View Post
Out of all 16 teams currently holding a playoff spot, The Pens are next to last in the Goals Allowed Stats. We need a top 4 defenseman in the worst way. I still think Orpik-Martin is a good, solid pairing. I'm not sure who would be out there and for what cost, but it's probably our biggest need right now. More than a scorer. Not one team has scored more goals this season than The Pens.

Orpik-Martin
? -Letang
Despres-Eaton
(Borts, Engo)
For the fiftieth billion time, acquiring a top 6 winger does not mean acquiring a "scorer". I'm not sure why so many people think that forwards only score goals and defense only prevent goals. Goals against is a team stat just like goals for. If you look at our D personnel we have 8 NHL dmen and it's a nice blend of skating, defense, offensive ability, etc.

The ONE supposed missing piece is that big crease clearing Hall Gill type (and a true PP QB). However, I believe Despres, Bort, and Engo can fill that role. The bigger issue is that the coaching staff isn't instructing them to clear the crease (from what I can tell it's quite obvious). They are focused on taking away passing lanes, stick on puck, etc. Tying up a man in front doesn't seem to be a priority. The issue with this team giving up too many goals is a team defense issue. It doesn't have much to do with the our defenseman not being good enough IMO.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

On Hockey Central at Noon today, Nick Kypreos mentioned something with the Pens today that many have mentioned here before: The problem with the Penguins D isn't personnel, it's gap control. The Pens forwards are too far away from the Dmen.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
On Hockey Central at Noon today, Nick Kypreos mentioned something with the Pens today that many have mentioned here before: The problem with the Penguins D isn't personnel, it's gap control. The Pens forwards are too far away from the Dmen.
I wouldn't let the D off the hook too much but I do agree that our forwards defensive play has been pretty atrocious this season.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Locking this one, too. We have a road to the trade deadline thread up that will be closely monitored. I'll post updated in the thread title with any rumors.

Closed Thread