HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Team Building

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2005, 01:05 PM
trickster

vCash: 500
Team Building

The absolute best thing about the lockout is that the Baby Leafs have really developed as a team...

Should they ever play together in the NHL, guys like Wellwood, Ling, and Stajan will undoubtedly have chemistry. I am very excited about seeing what this team does in the playoffs...

I think it would be very beneficial to have Steen in the St. Johns lineup. Play him in the place of Druken - who is a liability with the puck (according to his +/-). The Leafs likely do not have plans to use Druken in the future - but Steen is one of those guys who they most certainly do.

Should Stajan, Cola, Steen, Tellqvist and Wellwood play together and find success this season, the Leafs would gain the benefit of having their future core develop a belief in each other, a trust that can go a long way in team building.

Even get John Mitchell up from the OHL if his team goes out... Robbie Earl should probably stay in College... Staffan Kronvall would be a HUGE addition to this team - he is a big defensive asset, and has played against NHL calibre players all year - and I believe his team has JUST been eliminated.

Trouble is - cant have ALL these guys added... that would be hard to take for the team - especially since some guys have done the best they could all year... Anyone have any predictions about who could/will be added?

Here on in should be very exciting in the AHL!

Hope more of it is on TV

Old
03-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Pulfy14

I think there is a good chance that Steen would be added, maybe Mitchell(His team is down 2 games to none)

Old
03-27-2005, 01:20 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster
The absolute best thing about the lockout is that the Baby Leafs have really developed as a team...

Should they ever play together in the NHL, guys like Wellwood, Ling, and Stajan will undoubtedly have chemistry. I am very excited about seeing what this team does in the playoffs...

I think it would be very beneficial to have Steen in the St. Johns lineup. Play him in the place of Druken - who is a liability with the puck (according to his +/-). The Leafs likely do not have plans to use Druken in the future - but Steen is one of those guys who they most certainly do.

Should Stajan, Cola, Steen, Tellqvist and Wellwood play together and find success this season, the Leafs would gain the benefit of having their future core develop a belief in each other, a trust that can go a long way in team building.

Even get John Mitchell up from the OHL if his team goes out... Robbie Earl should probably stay in College... Staffan Kronvall would be a HUGE addition to this team - he is a big defensive asset, and has played against NHL calibre players all year - and I believe his team has JUST been eliminated.

Trouble is - cant have ALL these guys added... that would be hard to take for the team - especially since some guys have done the best they could all year... Anyone have any predictions about who could/will be added?

Here on in should be very exciting in the AHL!

Hope more of it is on TV

Some good ideas there. If they do those things then this team will be very exciting to watch.

However like you said, don't know how the team will take it. These are the guys that persevered all year together and that says a lot., mostly chemistry.

And because it's about chemistry, I think they will keep the core group together.

Personally I don't think we'll see any new additions except for maybe injury replacements.

Old
03-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Hey Trickster ..

FYI ..Harold Druken had season ending shoulder surgery and was left of the playoff roster so he is toast for this year and is probably done as I doubt he will be on the Marlies roster next season.

April 1st .. Baby Leafs game is on Rogers Sportnet TV verses the Baby Habs is the next time to see the team .. and I hope they announce that a bunch of Playoff games will be shown from the AHL this season ..

Johnny Mitchell team Plymouth is in tough against Owen Sound and are down 2-0 in the first 2 games ... Mitchell is very likely to join the baby leafs after his season is over .. but Shedden tends to bring the young ones along slowly so not sure what opportunity he will get ..

Steen is awaiting the announcement of the Swedish National team for the World Championships .. While he is a long shot to make the team, many big stars have dropped out to date so each day his chances are increasing .. His agent is advising him to stick it out, and apparently next week the majority of the team will be announced, so we might get more info then ..

It looks almost certain that it will be Manitoba verses St. Johns in the first round of the AHL plyoffs and that is Steen's home town Winnipeg, and his father Tomas still spends a lot of time there so it would be quite fitting that Steen play for the baby leafs in their first playoffs in many years in his home town ..

Kronwall may come over but will be an injury replacement only .. Woz (currently injured) is listed on the Clear Day roster for the playoff team and other then Regan Kelly who is the 7th dman and sitting currently he would not see much playing time IMO .. Carlo, Moro, Kiwi, White, Bell will all play ahead of him and Harrison is the 6th dman currently but has be playing his best hockey of late and adds that crease clearing toughness .. Carlo staying healthy is a key to playoff success IMO here .. Joel Kwiatkowski was an excellent Trade Deadline addition to the baby leafs and really helped a stagnant PP ..

No one mentions Vorobiev as a possible addition when his season ends in the RSL, and he has been playing against men and in perhaps the best league compared to the AHL currently with the NHL on lock down. He might help if called upon..

Robbie Earl is too young .. His team Wisconsin was knocked out of the NCAA playoffs by Al Montoya and Michigan on Friday .. but NCAA rules prohibit any player to play pro or earn money and return to the NCAA again .. So unless Earl quits school (highly unlikely) he is not a consideration for a few more years at least.

Nathan Perrott and Jason MacDonald and pair of very tough vets are healing and hope to be ready for the playoffs and will replace youngsters Matty Hubbauer, Colin Murphy, Brett Englehardt on the roster come playoff time and provide veteran leadership and experience ..

So what you see is pretty much what you are going to get at this point , unless Steen shows up .. IMO

but I think the Baby Leafs have a good mix to make a dent in the playoffs .. I only hope the Shedden finally settles on line combination to keep chemistry like you touched on because he doesn't even keep a line together for a game never mind a week or two .. Ling, Welly and Stajan all had 4 points last night as the #1 line and for the life of me, would not understand if Shedden dismembered them again.

Last edited by Mess: 03-27-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old
03-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Frankie

mitchell will join the team but he won't play. maybe on the fourth line in a meaningless game after a playoff spot is clinched.

steen too would probably just be a fringe guy like colin murphy is.

what you see now is what you get. there will no knights in shining armour. best of 5 series against manitoba is almost guaranteed.

Old
03-28-2005, 11:34 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Hey guys , where will Vorobiev gonna play next year ? Will he gonna play with the Marlies or just play for Lada Togliatti ?

Old
03-28-2005, 11:44 AM
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Hey guys , where will Vorobiev gonna play next year ? Will he gonna play with the Marlies or just play for Lada Togliatti ?
I'm guessing Lada... I don't think there would be room for him on the Marlies blue line.

Old
03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Pulfy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
I would put my bet on Lada Togliatti.

Old
03-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Still hoping for Steen. We should hear one way or the other this week, as the Swedish Nt'l team should be set.

Old
03-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Radomon

According to a local newspaper Steen will be playing in-line hockey this spring... but I guess that's when the AHL-season is over.

Closed Thread